• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Character Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if anyone is interested in my opinion regarding the new redesigns, read below:

Brendan: Not really a fan of this redesign. My main problem is the hair. I think he looked better with shorter black hair. I am also not too happy with his new tan. However his clothing is alright. I am glad that they kept many elements from his Emerald design, like shorter sleeves and shorts. The silver eyes are also neat. However the strangely upwards pointing shoes annoy me.

May: Ehh, it's alright I guess. I had really hoped they would have made May wearing blue and Brendan red/orange. I'm not too happy with her shirt being replaced with a top, and her hair being more curly, and her new headwear. Her small hair-thing in her neck also look strange. May was one of the more tomboy-ish adventure-ready designs in my opinion. Her newer design makes her look a bit too girly. The silver eyes are a nice touch here too. (Sapphire from the Adventures manga greatly colors my opinion here.)

Team Magma: Not too happy with them in general, they doesn't look "evil" enough to me.
The Grunts: Can't really put my finger on it, but I don't think they look as smug and shady as before.
Courtney: She suffers from the same fate as the grunts. She just doesn't look evil enough. More like a spoiled teenager.
Tabitha: Oh my god. This is probably th worst redesign in pokémon ever in my opinion. The wicked smile, the awesome cape. Everything is gone, and we are left with this.
Maxie: He is alright. Looks like a serious scientist to me. The only problem is that he doesn't correspond with his team at all. (However neither did Cyrus and that worked perfectly).

Team Aqua: I really like how they changed Team Aqua. Making them darker skinned was also a nice touch.
The Grunts: I alsways thought that the originals looked a bit plain, however the new designs are fresh.
Matt: Matt's new design is just downright awesome. Probably my favorite redisgn in this batch. Hell, he is so big that his uniform just got torn. He also has a great wicked smile.
Shelly: I also like her redesign. Her original design looked bland but no longer. However I could have done with a less joyful expression.
Archie: Ehh, he looks more like a diver than a pirate now. But it's still alright.

Steven: I am so glad that they didn't do too much with Steven. He still stays one of my favorite characters of all time in pokémon. I also hope that this hints towards him still being champion.

Conclusion
I do hope we still can change our clothes, but it is no crisis. Team Magma got a major downgrade, especially Tabitha. They just don't look so shady anymore. Team Aqua became quite a bit cooler, especially Matt. Steven stays pure awesome.

Bakphoon™

Heated Fury
Well, no one was replaced in HGSS, I think, so maybe they will stay the same. Anyways, if so, I'm really looking forward to Battle y favorite Elite Four in better Graphics and With updated teams. (hopefully)
I am looking for updated teams too. Especially Steven! So many better steel types were introduced after Gen 3.

TheFairyQueen

Top Coordinator
Oh god i only just realized this but both Brendan and May lack defined noses. I have never noticed it before (i had to look up and x and y have the same thing .... theres is a little more defined) they have a little contour line of where the nose should be but no actual nose ..... that is what has really thrown me on these characters. I just can't believe i never noticed it before

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Oh god i only just realized this but both Brendan and May lack defined noses. I have never noticed it before (i had to look up and x and y have the same thing .... theres is a little more defined) they have a little contour line of where the nose should be but no actual nose ..... that is what has really thrown me on these characters. I just can't believe i never noticed it before

That been part of Sugi's design for years and he tends to do that on several characters. It's nothing new. Really.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
Aaaand now I can't unsee it. They still look cool though, except for May and her weird headband and hairstyle.
I'm sooo hoping that trainer customization will Return in these games.

TheFairyQueen

Top Coordinator
That been part of Sugi's design for years and he tends to do that on several characters. It's nothing new. Really.

I know that now but i just never noticed ...... but now i have it's kind of freaking me out ahahah i can't believe i went that long without noticing

Aetius

In my opinion the redesigns of the characters shown are great, even though I admit that Tabitha changed a lot. XD
Brendan looks completely different from how he used to be; guess I will have to get used to his new look.
As for May, she's okay and I think that her new style fits her character. :D
About the rest, I do hope that also the Gym leaders, E4 and battle frontier will get a slight change in their appearance.

P.S: Steven being the champion would be great.

Flummoxen

Guys, it seems like what GF's trying to do with Magma and Aqua is diverge their characteristics. Back in Ruby/Sapphire they were pretty much friggin' interchangeable. Like, I think they pretty much just swapped "sea" and "land" in the dialogue between versions. So they're emphasizing Aqua's piratey side, what with the tans. And if I had to guess, they're going with "evil scientists" for Magma, hence the pale skin and fat Tabitha. Maybe rogue geologists/vulcanologists or something? (Randomly, you guys think they might change Tabitha's name? It seemed like giving him a female name was a translation mistake.) Not as badass as Aqua, but that might be the point - stuffy scientists vs wild pirates.

More importantly, it might be an indicator that they're going to give the villains a bit more characterization. Remember, RSE was the first time team admins even had names, and they barely did anything.

TheFairyQueen

Top Coordinator
Guys, it seems like what GF's trying to do with Magma and Aqua is diverge their characteristics. Back in Ruby/Sapphire they were pretty much friggin' interchangeable. Like, I think they pretty much just swapped "sea" and "land" in the dialogue between versions. So they're emphasizing Aqua's piratey side, what with the tans. And if I had to guess, they're going with "evil scientists" for Magma, hence the pale skin and fat Tabitha. Maybe rogue geologists/vulcanologists or something? (Randomly, you guys think they might change Tabitha's name? It seemed like giving him a female name was a translation mistake.) Not as badass as Aqua, but that might be the point - stuffy scientists vs wild pirates.

More importantly, it might be an indicator that they're going to give the villains a bit more characterization. Remember, RSE was the first time team admins even had names, and they barely did anything.

I thought of this as well

From memory (so take it with a grain of salt) in Emerald team magma took on all the really scientific plans (the meteorite, the mossdeep space centre) and team aqua was more akin to stealing things (the submarine) so i feel like this is a good change. it makes each team a lot more defined and have character other than Land vs Water

Schade

Metallic Wonder
No, she's got the same-ish stance as regular May, more or less the same outfit, hairstyle and whatnot.

Bakphoon™

Heated Fury
What? Are you serious? Her updated look isn't that drastic to even warrant this kind of question.

I wasn't thinking that she got replaced. I saw her a bit different and many people were saying she is a new character so I asked you guys :p

Aetius

I admit that May's bow is a bit too big, but I think that her new appearance fits her personality as I said just above....or am I the only one who thinks that?

Schade

Metallic Wonder
Well, both of them are pretty similar to their ancestors from RSE.
I thought it was fun to notice that Brendan got a tan while May don,t, while Team Aqua got a tan while team Magma don't. Coincidence? I think not! lol

Bakphoon™

Heated Fury
I thought it was fun to notice that Brendan got a tan while May don,t, while Team Aqua got a tan while team Magma don't. Coincidence? I think not! lol

Ah, yes. They have made some changes to the teams.
Let's talk about Maxie. He looks COMPLETELY different! More smarter than before :p

TheFairyQueen

Top Coordinator

But isn't may the 'technical' representative of sapphire and therefore aqua? Lol maybe she spends her life on tumblr

Status
Not open for further replies.