• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Character Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterofArcanine

Pokecollection Maste
You know some of the characters I can't wait to see are some of the more remebereable NPCs. Many of them didn't even have names and small parts but were still added something to the region: The Footprint Guy at hte beginning of the game, the guy who wanted to make through Rusturf Tunnel to get to is girlfriend, and others like them.

Mav-san

F*cking veteran
I think most of the "different pokemon" we're going to see will be Sinnoh evolutions. Unova pokemon would just feel weird and out of place.

What is it about Unova Pokémon comparing to Sinnoh?

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I think most of the "different pokemon" we're going to see will be Sinnoh evolutions. Unova pokemon would just feel weird and out of place.

I think any Pokemon from Gen 1-6 wouldn't feel weird and out of place as long as the added Pokemon fits the region's theme and environment.

But I do get what you mean. You're talking about gameplay experience.
Gen 4-6 Pokemon did not exist at the time so encountering these Pokemon would feel... "different".

Mav-san

F*cking veteran
I can totally imagine me running into a Sandile or Scraggy in Route 111's desert..

What is it about Unova Pokémon comparing to Sinnoh?

I think the reason it bugs me so much is because even though it could arguably fit in with the area, it still feels like they're out of their habitat. You don't find penguins in every tundra, camels in every desert, etc. Maybe the reason it bugs me so much with Hoenn especially is that it's an island, and islands tend to have very unique animals on them since they evolve in isolation. I like to imagine that most of the new pokemon introduced can only live in that region, and the ones that show up everywhere like Zubat and Geodude are just highly adaptive. Safari zones are an exception since it's explicitly stated that they're artificially populated.

Akashin

I think the reason it bugs me so much is because even though it could arguably fit in with the area, it still feels like they're out of their habitat. You don't find penguins in every tundra, camels in every desert, etc. Maybe the reason it bugs me so much with Hoenn especially is that it's an island, and islands tend to have very unique animals on them since they evolve in isolation. I like to imagine that most of the new pokemon introduced can only live in that region, and the ones that show up everywhere like Zubat and Geodude are just highly adaptive. Safari zones are an exception since it's explicitly stated that they're artificially populated.

Okay... That's all well and good (I don't agree with it though, because the alternative would be keeping the dex unedited as much as possible solely for the sake of flavor), but why single out Unova in that respect?

Okay... That's all well and good (I don't agree with it though, because the alternative would be keeping the dex unedited as much as possible solely for the sake of flavor), but why single out Unova in that respect?
Part of it is the fact that we haven't seen them anywhere but Unova and Kalos (I know that's a consequence of it being fairly new, it just bugs me for some reason). Style wise, gen 3 and gen 4 look very similar. 4th gen is more of a continuation of 3rd gen in my eyes. 5th gen was quite a departure. GameFreak also made Unova feel isolated by making only new pokemon available there in BW. The impression that I got was that Unova was far, far away, hence there being no pokemon from other regions. In my opinion, it had the unintended effect of making the opposite seem true too: because it's so far away, Unova pokemon aren't typically seen in other regions.

Yurimin

Snowflake Trainer

I agree. Personally I wouldn't mind exploring Hoenn with Gen4/5 Pokemon, but it would make me feel slightly uh... weird I guess.
Many will disagree with me I know, but I'd be happy if GF only added the Sinnoh Evolutions (e.g Gallade, Probopass etc.) as the new Pokemon

Baby V Alex

This issue can be solved just watching at the old remakes, for FRLG we could't have Blissey or Crobat till the National Dex was available, this was fixed in HGSS since some evolutions were part of the main pokedex. Even tho I want other mons to be in Hoenn, I kinda see this happening, and we will get swarms later in game.

ikorraks

I would like tate and lassa to have their Lunatone / Solrock partnership then another psychic partnership but I can't think of a better one than Slowking / Slowbro or Gallade / Gardevoir

Can't see the latter as 2 of the most powerful trainers using Gardevoir as their main pokemon doesn't seem right

Takaru

Werk, Werk, Werk
It'd be nice to see the Elite 4 at least have mega Pokemon post-game, but I'm not expecting much besides the champion, rival, and perhaps Wallace. Of course Archie and Maxie too.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

But it has all kinds of diverse environments where 5th gen Pokemon could fit. You have deserts for stuff like Sandile and Maractus. You have forests for Sewaddle, Venipede, Cottonee, and Petilil. You have volcanoes for stuff like Darumaka, Heatmor, and Durant. There's very few 5th gen Pokemon that I can't see putting somewhere in Hoenn.

Part of it is the fact that we haven't seen them anywhere but Unova and Kalos (I know that's a consequence of it being fairly new, it just bugs me for some reason).

That's exactly the reason, we haven't been to any other region besides those two since 5th gen began.

GameFreak also made Unova feel isolated by making only new pokemon available there in BW. The impression that I got was that Unova was far, far away, hence there being no pokemon from other regions. In my opinion, it had the unintended effect of making the opposite seem true too: because it's so far away, Unova pokemon aren't typically seen in other regions.

That was partially a gimmick to make 5th gen feel more "new". BW2 added a bunch of old Pokemon into Unova and Kalos is equally far from other regions and we see plenty of Pokemon from other generations. Distance quite clearly does not matter in dex composition.

This issue can be solved just watching at the old remakes, for FRLG we could't have Blissey or Crobat till the National Dex was available, this was fixed in HGSS since some evolutions were part of the main pokedex. Even tho I want other mons to be in Hoenn, I kinda see this happening, and we will get swarms later in game.

That's all well and good for team building and stuff, but it doesn't fix issues such as trainer rosters and Pokemon distribution, you actually need a Dex expansion to fix those problems. And Hoenn does have a fair share of those kinds of issues, just look at how repetitive the Elite 4 teams or the water routes are. You're not going to be able to fix those kinds of problems by restricting yourself to Hoenn's original 200.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I agree. Personally I wouldn't mind exploring Hoenn with Gen4/5 Pokemon, but it would make me feel slightly uh... weird I guess.
Many will disagree with me I know, but I'd be happy if GF only added the Sinnoh Evolutions (e.g Gallade, Probopass etc.) as the new Pokemon

I agree. And now that we know that Phoebe has a Dusknoir, I'd like for Glacia to own a Froslass in place of one of her Glalie for variety's sake.

lavanda

Really feeling it
Brendan removed his hat, world is over. I think Lucia is really interesting, and I'm hoping we'll get five category-themed outfits for both male and female MCs instead of just Cool for boy and Cute for girl.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Omg did a mc actually took its hat off...this hasnt happened since pearl...

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Lucia looks cute for a new character; Aarune's design remains superior though imo. And Brendan sans hat looks amazing; he looks like a hotter version of Lucas.~

Baby V Alex

Brendan looks amazing, and Lucia it's a cool adition, I'm not gonna lie, I was specting Juan to be involved in the contest.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I really like the Contest attires for Brendan and May. I would really love to see what they'll look like in other outfits...

That said. While not confirmed, I think full customization will be absent in ORAS because of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.