• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Character Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurimin

Snowflake Trainer
Since we don't know whether or not Juan or Wallace is going to the last gym leader, I'd like to see ORAS pull a BW, and have version exclusive gym leaders.

I really don't want this to happen. Wallace is actually involved in the R/S's plot (although not too heavily involved - he only leads us to the Cave of Origin but oh well). Obviously, he got a larger role in Emerald. But Juan did nothing related to the plot in Emerald, and is only seen inside the Sootopolis Gym, where we battle him. Because of that, I always got the feeling that Wallace was more 'important' than Juan, so I hope Wallace ends up as a leader in both games. Having said that though, I would like a Juan cameo to make an appearance.

Do you remember any other memorable characters (battleable or not)? The wintston family was a neat challenge and that meditite was no joke. I can also remember Jr and sempai with roselia/graveler and spinda/slaking, those 2 spreading teter dance all around and using slaking's brute force to just tear through anything. Also the fossil hunter was always a little strange to me. Why digging through his house? were there fossils there? the whole thing could fall!

The Winstrates were pretty cool - although I was disappointed that the family member in Victory Road (was his name Vito?) was addressed like a normal Cooltrainer. IIRC, all the other family members had 'Winstrate' as their title (e.g Winstrate Victoria, Winstrate Victor etc.). It's a minor detail - but yeah.

Speaking of the Jr and Sr duos, the trainers in the route with the Day Care are all memorable to me. I think all of the trainers except the Bug Maniac were rebattleable - so it was a great way to earn experience points (especially the Breeders with six Pokemon!)

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
I'd cackle if Juan gets all of Wallace's usefulness to the plot while Wallace just stays in the gym.

shadowF

which rival do you guys want to see more of? may/branden or wally? also who do you guys think we will see more of?

I really don't

The Winstrates were pretty cool - although I was disappointed that the family member in Victory Road (was his name Vito?) was addressed like a normal Cooltrainer. IIRC, all the other family members had 'Winstrate' as their title (e.g Winstrate Victoria, Winstrate Victor etc.). It's a minor detail - but yeah.

Speaking of the Jr and Sr duos, the trainers in the route with the Day Care are all memorable to me. I think all of the trainers except the Bug Maniac were rebattleable - so it was a great way to earn experience points (especially the Breeders with six Pokemon!)

As a kid I was pretty much completely convinced that he was going to have beaten the champion a la Blue in gen 1 and I would have to usurp him from his throne. When I ran into him in Victory Road I figured out instantly that it was him and part of my hear died. However, I'm excited to battle them again. Though I could see them putting some twist on them like each having different battling styles which could be good or bad.

Actually, it would be cool if you could battle all of them including Vito again post game, but with stronger teams.

which rival do you guys want to see more of? may/branden or wally? also who do you guys think we will see more of?
I would like to see more of Brendan/May. their story always seemed unfinished to me.
Unlike many others I really hope to not see more of Wally though. Having him weak in the early game and then surprisingly coming back strong at Victory Road was great. I can get behind a few more appearances early just so he is more memorable, but I want his development to be a secret until Victory Road.

I'm pretty sure we will see more of Steven, given his connection to Mega Evolution. Pretty sure we will see more of the Aqua/Magma admins as well.

Last edited:

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan

Was there a winstrate in the victory road? i never knew that! Wasn't steven supposed to be the son and mr. Stone the grandpa of the winstrates? that's what i always thought. Being able to rebattle most trainers and watch their teams grow was cool and i wash we have the Vs seeker back.

i like them to expand brendan/may because their role was to give you items, that's it, not even a last battle with the fully evolved starter. I just want to see them developed. We all know wally's story but i want to encounter him more times and i'm guessing we will find him in the post game, with his mega gallade.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
which rival do you guys want to see more of? may/branden or wally?

I care more about May/Brendan than about Wally. In R/S/E Wally at least had hurdles that he overcame (his bad health for example) and character development, meanwhile May/Brendan were so one-dimensional in my opinion. They need an upgrade in OR/AS.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
Was there a winstrate in the victory road? i never knew that! Wasn't steven supposed to be the son and mr. Stone the grandpa of the winstrates? that's what i always thought. Being able to rebattle most trainers and watch their teams grow was cool and i wash we have the Vs seeker back.

i like them to expand brendan/may because their role was to give you items, that's it, not even a last battle with the fully evolved starter. I just want to see them developed. We all know wally's story but i want to encounter him more times and i'm guessing we will find him in the post game, with his mega gallade.

The way the family talks about their son you'd think it to be Steven because they keep saying he's so strong he's probably the champion by now. When in reality he is strong, but has hit a wall in his growth and is stationed in Victory Road until he can get stronger, he's also kinda hidden and easily missed, you only know he's the son because he mentions being from a family of battlers, and the Winstrate Anime episode confirms Vito is the son, plus his name fits the theme of everyone's names starting with V for victory.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
The way the family talks about their son you'd think it to be Steven because they keep saying he's so strong he's probably the champion by now. When in reality he is strong, but has hit a wall in his growth and is stationed in Victory Road until he can get stronger, he's also kinda hidden and easily missed, you only know he's the son because he mentions being from a family of battlers, and the Winstrate Anime episode confirms Vito is the son, plus his name fits the theme of everyone's names starting with V for victory.

yeah, that's what i always thought, that steven was the son. well done GF you tricked me good.

fitzy909

Just another guy
I had an interesting thought. Why not make Winona a sky trainer? It would match her speciality type and it would show off sky battles more and not make them something that is optional. It would make for a really interesting gym and.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I had an interesting thought. Why not make Winona a sky trainer? It would match her speciality type and it would show off sky battles more and not make them something that is optional. It would make for a really interesting gym and.

Except that not every player would necessarily have a Pokemon that could participate in Sky Battles.

Oshakpop

Eeveelution Master

But It'd have to be an optional thing. Like Winona asks you if you want to have a Sky Battle or another battle. Otherwise it'd be unfair for those who don't actively train Flying-types or those that are eligible for Sky Battles.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I had an interesting thought. Why not make Winona a sky trainer?

Because Sky Battles are utterly pointless

Because, as Lorde explained, it would force the player to use at least one Flying-type Pokémon in order to challenge her at all, but since she already has a pretty good team of her own, you would most likely need more than that, so you would end up having to build a dedicated team of Flying-types just to get a Gym Badge. And that would be wrong.

Last edited:

Maybe save that for post-game battles.
Not everyone would necessarily have a full team of Pokemon that can participate in sky battles.

Last edited:

.Aerodactyl.

I think winona using sky battles would be neat, but not very likely. I am under the impression those will stay in XY.
I don't think they were very popular even...(I did not like them.)

I'd like sky battles more if they were a facility. Then trainers like Winona could come in and then you could battle her sky battle style, but it would be optional and not forced. I actually liked the diversity sky battles brought, plus they were made optional without any forced cut scenes so if you didn't like them, you could just ignore them and forget about them. I thought they were well handled because they weren't forced. If they didn't return though I wouldn't cry about it.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
I think winona using sky battles would be neat, but not very likely. I am under the impression those will stay in XY.
I don't think they were very popular even...(I did not like them.)

Its not neat. Restricting ingame teambuilding is never a good thing to do.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
It would be cool to see Winona in a sky battle since she's the aerial ace and i would like to see you battling her in a sky battle but only in post game. Sky battles were...a thing. They brought restrictions but they were unique (and totally optional).

I just had the stupidest idea. What if some trainers are waiting underwater for you to battle them? They would stay there forever until you battle them. And then they would remain there untill you rematched them. What if zoras battled you underwater? zora want's to figth! zora sends out X! dat crossover.

PearlDex

Heaven forbid the game encourage you to use and train different Pokemon @.@

I would like the skybattle idea IF it were a bit easier to grind a new pokemon up faster. That's my problem is that implementing a spot to suddenly start training your flying types would disrupt how the games flow. I don't think there's anything wrong, though, with GF throwing a curveball out there that forces the player to rethink their team temporarily. Pokemon is a very linear RPG (and I already know it will remain that way). Having it branch out wouldn't be bad, especially since characters talk about you using your favorites all the time, but most people wind up using the same 6 from start to finish.

You'll even notice some people have their teams already picked out in their signatures...

especially since characters talk about you using your favorites all the time, but most people wind up using the same 6 from start to finish.

I'm in fact using 6 of my favorites. The only one that could participate is a bug type and not a very strong one at that. I don't want to waste a bunch of EXP on one battle, with a pokemon that I don't like and will never use again. I wouldn't mind it as a side battle, but as the main gym battle? No. The fun part of the game is getting a choice in your pokemon. In fact, that's the only choice you really make since, as you said, the game is very linear and the story is on a track.

Status
Not open for further replies.