• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Character Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
the Start button is out of the way enough that it's pretty much impossible to press accidentally

anyway, every NPC will repeat relevant information if you talk to them again after their spiel (even doing the thing where key phrases are highlighted blue now), so even in a world where the Internet doesn't exist, you'd have to be pretty brain-dead to get stuck on a plot point

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Honestly I felt the dialogue between you and May/Brendan was improved a lot since R/S/E. Yeah, some of it nearly made me sick but on the other hand, they're not soulless bums with no ambition or spirit anymore.

It's also not like pseudo-romance is exactly anything new to the franchise either, although I do agree maybe it's creeping more and more into the games. Violence is another thing that's phasing its way into the series. Remember in PMD2, when Dusknoir was going to "get rid of you" instead of kill you? No beating around that bush in OR/AS, several characters flat out say that if the current impending disaster isn't averted, you will die. I remember when there was a grunt who threatened to blow up a town in D/P/Pt, and I was rather surprised by that. Now we've got wars, giant death machines that kill entire countries, and apocalyptic weather.

Although, even in X/Y, a lot of euphemisms were used in any situation involving death. It was never directly mentioned that AZ's Floette died, it just said he received a box, and the player is left to fill in the blanks (which is easy enough).

Honestly, I like this shift towards a more serious game environment. The one thing that always really bothered me about Pokemon games was that everything-will-be-okay-after-naptime attitude that the series started with, where there were no huge disasters to avoid. Then we had disastrous situations involving Pokemon, and finally in X/Y a person (AZ) directly causes harm to other people. The romance is something I'm not too particular on, but I understand it appeals to some fans so I'll tough it out.

shadowF

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I dunno if this has been said but...
The mysterious Hex Maniac from Lumiose also appears to be in this game. She's at Mt. Pyre, still saying that "you're not the one".

Also, NPCs in this game really have weird laughs. Nyahahahaha, Fyohohohoho, Mufufufufufufu and the like.

Rapiido

Dunno if this has been brought up yet...
But has anyone else noticed the ghost girl in Phoebe's room?

Mi-tan

Almost forgot to say this, but man, I love Sea Mauville. Honestly I was a little frustrated that they'd replaced the Abandoned Ship with something else, but Sea Mauville was so epic that it's become one of my favorite parts of AS so far. I love historical plots in general, especially stuff that's been left behind and gets rediscovered by the player, and I also love corruption and dark themes in Pokemon, so this was practically tailor-made for me. Also reminded me of some of Ranger: Shadows of Almia's plot, only better.

arawn

The mysterious Hex Maniac from Lumiose also appears to be in this game. She's at Mt. Pyre, still saying that "you're not the one".

Also, NPCs in this game really have weird laughs. Nyahahahaha, Fyohohohoho, Mufufufufufufu and the like.

It was a throwback to Fuschia Gym and the Pokemon Tower if i recall correctly.

Could this be that she was still alive in Hoenn and then died in Kalos. Or this girl is her sister ? This ghost girl seems very mystery .

Last edited:

Lorde

While I appreciate that GF tried to make May/Brendan more important in OR/AS, I got really tired of seeing Brendan after a while; it's like he appeared every five steps I took.

Scarlet Tactician

Lazy, But Here
The "You're not the one" Hex Maniac seemed less ghostly here. Was this before she died? Or is the Kalos version a projection? Or is she a ghost here to but didn't float around for some reason?

This makes me curious if GF is building up to something with her. Not necessarily a huge plot point, but maybe a future side plot or just a running nod like the technology guy in the starting town.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
The "You're not the one" Hex Maniac seemed less ghostly here. Was this before she died? Or is the Kalos version a projection? Or is she a ghost here to but didn't float around for some reason?

This makes me curious if GF is building up to something with her. Not necessarily a huge plot point, but maybe a future side plot or just a running nod like the technology guy in the starting town.

She's just standing there, so we really don't know if she's a ghost or not. But I'd like to believe that she's still alive here.

Also, on a different note, there's a female student in Mossdeep Space Center saying... "This Space Rocket... THICK!" or something along the lines.
She might actually be the maid at the top floor of Hotel Richissime who says, "This Pillar... so thick!"

A lot of references in this game really point out to ORAS being years ahead of XY, which still stays true to the main timeline regardless of Megas.
RBGYFRLG/RSEORAS >> 3 years >> GSCHGSS/DPPt >> Caitlin's age difference >> BW >> 2 years >> B2W2/XY

iGotNoiPad

Did anybody else find other gym leaders in the 5th floor of the Lilycove Department Store? I just found Tate and Liza buying toys with someone from the Mossdeep Space Station.

ArtsyTrainer

I haven't seen Tate and Liza. I've seen Roxanne in the Fossil Maniac's House in Fallarbor, and I've seen Winona on top of one of the towers on the top floor of Mauville.

Scarlet Tactician

Lazy, But Here
The gym leaders appear outside of their gyms? I'll have to watch out for that. I wonder if it's depending on the day or passing a specific point in the game.

iGotNoiPad

I haven't seen Tate and Liza. I've seen Roxanne in the Fossil Maniac's House in Fallarbor, and I've seen Winona on top of one of the towers on the top floor of Mauville.

Yeah, just checked, I found both Roxanne and Winona. Hmm, I wonder if the other gym leaders will appear outside. Roxanne in Fallarbor, Wattson is most probably involved in New Mauville, Norman is involved with Delta Episode, Winona in Mauville, Tate and Liza in Lilycove Department and Wallace with Contest and Delta Episode.

All that's left is Brawly and Flannery.

Silverevilchao

Scythe-Wielding Chao
Yeah, just checked, I found both Roxanne and Winona. Hmm, I wonder if the other gym leaders will appear outside. Roxanne in Fallarbor, Wattson is most probably involved in New Mauville, Norman is involved with Delta Episode, Winona in Mauville, Tate and Liza in Lilycove Department and Wallace with Contest and Delta Episode.

All that's left is Brawly and Flannery.

Flannery shows up at Scorched Slab post-Kyogre/Groudon, because Heatran had spawned.

Lorde

Flannery shows up at Scorched Slab post-Kyogre/Groudon, because Heatran had spawned.

That actually makes me happy. I'm all for Hoenn Gym Leaders appearing outside of their Gyms and I can't wait to see Flannery for myself as well as Winona in Mauville City.

Status
Not open for further replies.