• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Character Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
In Zinnia's case, she sided with the bad guys, stole plot-relevant stuff and attacked the heroes.

that's still weird, though

what Maxie and the Magmas had going for them, IMO, was that they had genuinely good intentions behind what they were doing (and if Zinnia hadn't been manipulating them, it's totally possible that they would've called off the Primal resurrection when they realized their calculations were astray); their methods were extreme, sure, but the team's camaraderie and commitment to their leader and to their goal portrayed a true sense of staunch devotion to their dreams of aiding humanity, and in the aftermath of the crisis, they're trying to find ways to aid civilians and expiate their actions. When Courtney goes rogue, Tabitha works to help bring her back into their fold, and the apologies between her and Maxie portray them as more of a family than anything else (and all done with significantly less direct lore-shoveling than Zinnia had, spread throughout the game)

contrast Zinnia, who acts like an insane smug jerkass for the first 90% of the Delta Episode and then tries to overcompensate by cramming five minutes of sympathy-appealing into the last 10% of it

HexManiacAbby

Cynthia has appeared waaaaay more times in other generations than Zinnia alone, so comparing both of them is like comparing a Luvdisc with an Alomomola.

You could say Zinnia was like the evil team in which they all try to control the legendary but all fail, exEcept she's no villain but has some rather screwed methods in doing things herself.

Actually, she is a vilain!

>sided with the bad guys
>steals plot-related stuff
>attacks the heroes
>screwy methods in general (You said that one)

Yup, she's a villain. Just a pretty darn sympathetic one.

One could say she is like AZ was when he wanted to revive Floette.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Cynthia has appeared waaaaay more times in other generations than Zinnia alone, so comparing both of them is like comparing a Luvdisc with an Alomomola.

I'm so glad that Cynthia's not in these games tbh. Speaking of which, what's Looker's role in these games, or does he not even have one since he's got amnesia or whatever?

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
Actually, she is a vilain!

>sided with the bad guys
>steals plot-related stuff
>attacks the heroes
>screwy methods in general (You said that one)

Yup, she's a villain. Just a pretty darn sympathetic one.

One could say she is like AZ was when he wanted to revive Floette.

Pah, you can't just cram some feeling bad for someone in and they're sympathetic. She's a much of a villian as maxie/archie. but at least they had a history of being nice to you. Well, archie at least.

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
I'm so glad that Cynthia's not in these games tbh. Speaking of which, what's Looker's role in these games, or does he not even have one since he's got amnesia or whatever?

... considering placement of this game in Pokemon games canon... it has implication that suggests that we are witnessing "birth of Looker the police agent". You know why we never got told his REAL name... it may be because he can't remember one!"

HexManiacAbby

Pah, you can't just cram some feeling bad for someone in and they're sympathetic. She's a much of a villian as maxie/archie. but at least they had a history of being nice to you. Well, archie at least.

Dang, what I was gonna say was earsed. Darn tabet!

In short, AZ=Zinnia. The only difference is that she uses dragons and we can actually see what she was doing to revive Aster (unlike AZ, who's relegated to the backstory).

And tell me that you don't feel despaired if you lose a loved one. She just got... A bit more screwy than normal people, believing she was in right by doing what she did.

Last edited:

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer

In short, AZ=Zinnia. The only difference is that she uses dragons and we can actually see what she was doing to revive Aster (unlike AZ, who's only in the backstory).

And tell me that you don't fall in despair if you lose a loved one. She just got... A bit more screwy than normal people, believing she was in right by doing what she did.

I thought she was going to sacrifice herself in process of awaking Rayquaza... Thus meeting with her loved Aster.

CrusherTheFeraligatr

In short, AZ=Zinnia. The only difference is that she uses dragons and we can actually see what she was doing to revive Aster (unlike AZ, who's relegated to the backstory).

And tell me that you don't feel despaired if you lose a loved one. She just got... A bit more screwy than normal people, believing she was in right by doing what she did.

Despair? Totally. Thieving? Not yet.

HexManiacAbby

I thought she was going to sacrifice herself in process of awaking Rayquaza... Thus meeting with her loved Aster.

That's an interpretation, which I can only say she might had thought of doing that if everything else failed. I did see that theory posted on ORAS's Tvtropes YMMV page.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
As for Zinnia, I wouldn't say she's a Mary Sue. She's definitely not the best written character, but it's not like her actions are praised and she does end up being in the wrong as Rayquaza doesn't choose her. Really, her problems stem from the fact that the Delta Episode is pretty short for what it wants to do with the character and plot, so she ends up being underdeveloped.

Finally somebody who uses the term Mary Sue correctly

I dunno, I didn't have a problem with the development. I feel like it was supposed to be a bit vague, and that we weren't necessarily supposed to like Zinnia.

What are you saying? Wally's 8. (What? He looks way too young to be 10, and they don't care much about age factors here.)

No, the BuzzNav confirmed him as being ten.

Last edited:

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
........I just went to fight Phoebe and there is a damn little ghost girl sitting in the chair if you look very closely. I got a picture of her http://i.imgur.com/OV1cvlc.png

Pokemon is officially scaring me.

Wtf, has this become a new pokemon tradition? Spot the hidden ghost girl in the game? XD

When I called her a Mary sue is in the way of a plot retardant sue. The way she was pointed up as a bigger threats than the previous villainous team, pointing flaws on other character arguments while being referenced as either special or threatening by every dammed NPCs that character passed by before doing a pass the touch routine to the player... She is borderline a black hole sue.

For the record having quirks or an uncommon weakness doesn't spare a Sue, in fact they might make her more likeable to her story counterparts while failing to make her less Sueish. It's a common mistake on most FF works.

Wow.... I'm usually against labelling characters as sues when they're not even even supposed to be that deep to begin with, though I was kinda bugged that she got a free pass for destroying the teleport device thingie before she was even sure that the Rayquaza plan would work. When she failed to mega-evolve him on the tower I just wanted to slap her.... yeah, now what, missy? Betcha wish you didn't toss away the only other chance of survival we had, did ya?

...side note, wtf happened to Wallace XDDDDDD

Last edited:

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
Wow.... I'm usually against labelling characters as sues when they're not even even supposed to be that deep to begin with, though I was kinda bugged that she got a free pass for destroying the teleport device thingie before she was even sure that the Rayquaza plan would work. I was so mad at her when she failed to mega-evolve him on the tower.... yeah, now what, missy? Betcha wish you didn't toss away the only other chance of survival we had, did ya?

...side note, wtf happened to Wallace XDDDDDD

and I read in TV tropes that if Link Cable plan worked it would NOT have mattered as it would've crashed in nowhere and created a birth Island... and thus started Emerald event.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
and I read in TV tropes that if Link Cable plan worked it would NOT have mattered as it would've crashed in nowhere and created a birth Island... and thus started Emerald event.

Well, I still think it would've been quite catastrophic. The problem with big-sezed meteorites isn't just the area of impact, but also the environmental concequences on the zones around it. I'm no geologist so I don't know the details, but if something that large were to hit earth, the whole planet would be in danger.

Plus when the legeds in ORAS speak of meteorites generating the Meteor Falls, it's kind of implied that anyone who lived around there died.

Boshy

So i think its really strange that looker does nothing in the game except giving you the audonite, is anyone really sure that we cant do something to him?
Like showing a specific pokemon to him or a item that somehow helps him in is amnesia , and also i did some research and audino learns amnesia as a breeding move which could mean something, i just find it odd idk if its only me ›_‹

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
So i think its really strange that looker does nothing in the game except giving you the audonite, is anyone really sure that we cant do something to him?
Like showing a specific pokemon to him or a item that somehow helps him in is amnesia , and also i did some research and audino learns amnesia as a breeding move which could mean something, i just find it odd idk if its only me ›_‹

Given that the games have been out for like two weeks and nobody has discovered any other use for Looker, I kinda doubt that he has another role unless it's DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.