• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Characters/Storyline Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vintrial

Whouffle.
TBH, this game had a lot of untapped potential when it came to the main plot. Yes, I'm aware Pokemon was never plot oriented, but still...

For one, there's Lysandre. After Lysandre made a giant hole in Geosenge, Sycamore's all "oh noes, I should have stopped him. I knew he was crazy about keeping things fabulous, but I should have stopped him, my fault, etc". And after that incident, the prof doesn't mention anything about his colleague anymore. Nobody even bothers to try and remove the rubble from the crater to see the aftermath of the blast (hey, if there are Pokemon that have a sense of smell 1 million times greater than that ofa human, it shouldn't be too hard to remove boulders from a 50-100m deep pit, now would it?). The only time someone alludes to his fate is when your main rival gives you the Absolite while saying something along the lines of "oh I have 2 Absolites, you can have one. Gotta show Lysandre we aren't politicians!"

Next is AZ. The ancient king of Kalos only shows up 4 times in the game.

1. When you finished kicking Team Flare out of the power plant.
2. When you find him locked up in Lysandre Labs.
3. After you escape the Lysandre's self-destruct attack.
4. At the parade where he finally reunites with Floette.

After that, nothing. We don't get to battle him again and we don't get to know what happened after the ceremony. He's just gone. Daferk GF. Give us an epilogue or a side quest for the poor guy! I wanted more information about the ancient war, AZ's immortality, what he did during 3000 years ago - present, and AZ himself instead of just:
"War happened, king's favourite 'mon died, king built machine to resurrect 'mon, used machine to kill cuz he was angry, 'mon left cuz king turned evil, king wandered for 3k years to find friend".

In fact, all of the ancient plot presented in the game revolved around the ultimate weapon...

And lastly, the gym leaders. Aside from Korrina, Wulfric, and maybe Clemont, the gym leaders were given a rather one dimensional personality and a purpose that consisted of giving you their badge and a TM.

Well, here's hoping that Z/X2/Y2/ZX/ZY/qwertyasdf remake/sequel will fill up these plot holes.

MAYBE we get a movie featuring AZ and Celebi and if we get event serebi we get a side quest!

Exacus

Besides strengthening the plot, I wonder if it's possible to discover more new Pokemon in the sequel.

Based on what AZ did 3000 years ago, it's a reasonable explanation as to why there are only 69 new Pokemon in Kalos. So in Z/X2/Y2/whatever, the Pokemon that went extinct after the mass destruction could be resurrected using Xerneas's life powers or Zygarde's order powers. Hell, maybe GF will make AZ appeal to Dialga or Arceus to "Deus ex machina" the dead Pokemon.

Marmalade

do not feed.
I just finished the game and from what I've skimmed here, I'm not the only one that was disappointed with the storyline of the game... I very much enjoyed the graphics and all the new extras, but the storyline itself was the most boring thing I've encountered in a while... I sat there staring at the parade cutscene completely surprised at the "five defenders of Kalos" mention - it did not make any sense to me, considering the only ones who seemed to have an impact on stopping Team Flare were the Protagonist and the Rival. The entire group of 'friends' you're supposed to have just annoyed me throughout the entire game with its lack of character development and use. I was also disappointed with Calem - for your rival he didn't seem very dedicated at all. There were a few moments where I felt myself starting to like him, but overall, to me the characters were all entirely one dimensional and plain pointless.

Team Flare seemed also incredibly under developed, as did Lysandre (though I liked his ideals and how they brought real life concerns into the game), who had so much potential, along with the Professor. I would have liked to get a more thorough backstory on the two. AZ also disappointed me.

I understand that Pokemon has never been a game about the storyline, and maybe it has been too long since I last finished a game (last one for me was Platinum, which I loved), but I just sat there watching the ending cutscene thinking to myself, "That's it?". It's supposed to be emotional but the lack of almost any character development (at least to me) made it impossible for me to like any of the characters. :/ Tierno and Trevor were just 'there', Shauna was annoying, and Calem wavered between 'potential development' and 'what is your point here'.

Overall, I think I went into this game expecting too much. Maybe I'll get more out of it on my second playthrough... But hopefully the sequel will sort out some of the grievances people have on lack of story and character development. (And I would love to know more about Kalos' history, and the war overall!)

Last edited:

diakyu

Sorry but Lysandre was the most developed charachter in the game. His development and characterization was sprinkled everywhere from his talks in the cafes, his holocoster notes, and even some of the grunts talk about him. He's definitely one of the series best built characters next to N and maybe Cyrus.

AZ's was pretty good too but I feel he suffered from lack of appearances. But there really isn't much you can get from a wandering giant searching for his pokemon. He got the closure I would have given him.

Exacus

AZ's was pretty good too but I feel he suffered from lack of appearances. But there really isn't much you can get from a wandering giant searching for his pokemon. He got the closure I would have given him.

For me, simply having AZ reunite with Floette only to disappear, never to be mentioned again just isn't good enough. It doesn't make sense to have a plot-centric character not have some sort of epilogue. In B/W, N was at least mentioned to be seen in a distant region with Zekrom or Reshiram.

Last edited:

Grandad

The part where Lysandre cried was the most touching moment I have ever seen.
My God, I wanted to cry myself when that happened. I got almost as emotionaly during that scene as I do watching the Walking Dead(which is obviosuly the best show evar!!! XD)

Kataphrut

Just took down Team Flare. I have to say, they are kind of a come-down from Team Plasma. In general, this game hasn't been as strongly written as Black and White were.

I did like
Lysandre as a villain, even if everyone else in the organisation was kind of one-dimensional. The final battle with him was particularly epic, especially when I brought Yvytel...Yvytal...Yvhowever you spell it to bear against his Gyarados. I just wish that they hadn't made him look so obviously villainous. The conversations with him before the "reveal" were pretty interesting, imagine how much weight the betrayal would have had if we couldn't have all seen it coming from a mile off. I mean, his hair was exactly the same shade of red as Team Flare's colours! Did they think people wouldn't notice that?

Also, I stopped using the Exp Share halfway through the game and Serena appears to have caught up with me level-wise. I still feel bad for constantly crushing her spirits everytime we fight, but at least it's more of a fair fight now. I'm hoping I get to battle Trevor at least one more time and find him sporting a six-man team of the best and rarest Pokemon in the game. It would make sense for a lad who's trying to catch 'em all; after a while, he'd have to have some good ones.

killercloud

The storyline was a bit poor for me too but the thing I was most disappointed with is the postgame. There just doesn't seem to be one. 4 legendaries to catch??? Where are all the others? And also there is no incentive to go do the battle areas. What do I get for finishing them? Nothing. Unlike in White 2 where they were willing to give out shinies for it. My White 2 save has 250+ hours put into it and there is still things to do, this has had 50 hours and I feel like it's finished. Really disappointed.

Jacobthepokemonfreak

Fly it all away!
Mate, have you completed the Looker questline?

That is the single most best side-quest in almost any game (not made by square enix).

killercloud

That is the single most best side-quest in almost any game (not made by square enix).

No I haven't actually. I only found out about that this morning. I shall try it tonight.

ShadowKreach

I just wish the main game was that good, plot-wise.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I mean, his hair was exactly the same shade of red as Team Flare's colours! Did they think people wouldn't notice that?

The storyline was a bit poor for me too but the thing I was most disappointed with is the postgame. There just doesn't seem to be one. 4 legendaries to catch??? Where are all the others? And also there is no incentive to go do the battle areas. What do I get for finishing them? Nothing. Unlike in White 2 where they were willing to give out shinies for it. My White 2 save has 250+ hours put into it and there is still things to do, this has had 50 hours and I feel like it's finished. Really disappointed.

I don't know how people aren't already used to either of these things. As far as the spoiler goes,

Pokémon's villains are never subtly concealed. I mean, seriously, did anybody not know right off the bat that N and Colress were involved with Team Plasma? Or that Cyrus was involved with Team Galactic? Or that Ghetsis wasn't the wholesome, well-intentioned preacher that he was masquerading as?

And as far as the post-game content goes, these are the initial paired versions of the new generation. How much post-game content did BW have? Just about as much as XY, I would say. RS had even less. Wait until Z/X2Y2/KiwiStrawberry for the loads of post-game content.

killercloud

I hope you are right Endolise. I suppose I was probably so surprised / blown away by White 2s postgame I forgot about previous games and just feel as though that should be the norm.

For me, and every post I've seen on this thread, Team Flare just weren't good enough - hopefully, this great potential is used in A/Z/XY/XYZ/AZ/XY2/whatever. AZ seems like he could be a great character, but seriously, GF...four appearances?! And what happened to Lysandre after? Honestly, GF, I'm going to make up an excuse for you and say that everyone at GF was too busy working on MegaEvolution, 3D overworld AND battles, etc. I mean they only gave us 69 pokemon. Really?

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I hope you are right Endolise. I suppose I was probably so surprised / blown away by White 2s postgame I forgot about previous games and just feel as though that should be the norm.

Oh, if only. B2W2 had a glorious amount of post-game content.

I mean they only gave us 69 pokemon. Really?

I'm just going to quote myself on this one:

Before Gen VI, we had 649 Pokémon. Which is a lot. There comes a point were it becomes inefficient to produce large quantities of Pokémon all at once. If you ran a small convenience store, and you still had a fair stock of bread, would you call for 50 more loafs or 150? You would most likely call for 50 loafs, since 150 would leave you overstocked.

Plus, there are only so many ways that you can alter the stat, type, and movepool spreads without it becoming either redundant or overpowered. I know that Game Freak still has a ways to go in terms of combinations, but it is a more strategic and productive move in the long run to take their time and save some of those combinations for later Gens. Furthermore, those 649 Pokémon from the first five Gens are still perfectly usable, so why ignore them in favor of unnecessary new Pokémon?

Even further is the fact that having such a large number of Pokémon isn't easy to maintain, as they have to create the models for each and every Pokémon variant in the game (including forms, gender differences, and most of all, Shinies, which alone double the number of models that they have to make), animate them in several different ways for different situations, add Pokédex entries for every one, etc., etc. It takes up a lot of data, and XY were already very full games with loads of other features.

And lastly, there is also the matter of having to come up with names for every new Pokémon while also ensuring that they aren't infringing on any existing trademarks.

(And this is, of course, the point at which mega evolutions come in, as they are a brilliant concept from a production standpoint since they allow Game Freak to circumvent a lot of these issues while still introducing new content.)

Sir_Adamus

I'm just gonna run a quick count of the number of Pokémon introduced in each generation.

Gen I: 151
Gen II: 100 (251)
Gen III: 135 (386)
Gen IV: 109 (493)
Gen V: 156 (649)
Gen VI: 69 (718)

Pattern seems to be that odd numbered generations have about 150, even numbered around 100. Exceptions include Gen III and now, Gen VI, which have 20/30 - though Gen III introduced form changing and Gen VI introduced Mega Evolution.

Last edited:

Charizard86

Charizard Champion
I would actually rather they looked at improving the pokemon they already have. Mega evolutions is a great way to do that but there are still some that could do with a permanent evolution in order to bring them all up to the same level of quality that other pokemon have. Most of the gimmick pokemon had their fun in each generation they were introduced but when the next gen comes out they become forgettable: Spinda, Plusle, Minum, Chatot, Audino. Rather than them just being wasted spots to fill in the poledex Game Freak can use their genius to term them into something people will want to use!

Born Better

God of Lightning
Most of what I think has been said and I'm on a phone, so I'll just say this:

-Tierno and Trevor are useless and add absolutely nothing
-Shauna's a bit better, but still doesn't do much.
-People need to learn how to use more than 3 pokemon
-Team Flare as a whole sucked and barely did anything
-Despite all that, I thought Lysandre was a really good villiain
-The only Gym Leader worth two *censored*s is Korrina and maybe Wulfric to a small extent. The rest suck, though I do like Valeri's(?) design and the fact that she wants to be a pokemon is kind of funny and cute for some reason.
-Olympia's gym is the second best gym ever. The best being Drayden's in BW2.
-Lack of Gym themes sucks
-It really didn't feel like Yveltal served any other real purpose other than to be caught.
-AZ was nice, but I felt they could've done more with him.
-Why no hard mode?
-I think Looker might have the most generational appearances out of anyone in the series.
-I like how you can actually battle Sycamore. Hopefully one day, we can battle the mom. Maybe even as a secret member of the E4 or as the champion.

All I've got right now.

Also while Lysandre and his goals and motives are great and all, Ghetsis is still much better to me. Yeah he just wanted world domination ,but the way he went about it was absolutely brilliant.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I think Looker might have the most generational appearances out of anyone in the series.

That title actually goes to Red and Blue, who have both appeared in five out of six generations so far.

Not counting remakes as separate appearances from their originals, however, then Looker would actually be tied with Red, Blue, Prof. Oak, Steven, Cynthia, Jasmine, Sabrina, and Crasher Wake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.