• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Characters/Storyline Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowKreach

I just thought of something...

Valerie's apparently a fashion designer from the Johto region, which is mentioned by someone in-game. She also mentions how she wants to be a Pokemon, and her main Pokemon is Sylveon, one of the evolved forms of Eevee.
Bill is also from the Johto region (His family live there, at the very least). He himself has been turned into a Pokemon in the past, and his favourite Pokemon just so happens to be Eevee. It seems entirely possible that there could be a link between these two characters.
It's possibly a coincidence that these two characters share these traits, but it's definitely something to think about...

Sir_Adamus

I just thought of something...

Valerie's apparently a fashion designer from the Johto region, which is mentioned by someone in-game. She also mentions how she wants to be a Pokemon, and her main Pokemon is Sylveon, one of the evolved forms of Eevee.
Bill is also from the Johto region (His family live there, at the very least). He himself has been turned into a Pokemon in the past, and his favourite Pokemon just so happens to be Eevee. It seems entirely possible that there could be a link between these two characters.
It's possibly a coincidence that these two characters share these traits, but it's definitely something to think about...

To be honest, I made more of a connection to the Kimono Girls - only problem is that Valerie isn't wearing a Kimono - although the trainers in her gym are, but I don't know if that means anything.

Born Better

God of Lightning
That title actually goes to Red and Blue, who have both appeared in five out of six generations so far.

Not counting remakes as separate appearances from their originals, however, then Looker would actually be tied with Red, Blue, Prof. Oak, Steven, Cynthia, Jasmine, Sabrina, and Crasher Wake.[/
Wasn't counting PWT.

Looker- 4, 5, 6
Red-1 and 2
Green/Blue/Gary- 1, 2, mentioned in 6
Jasmine- 2 and 4
Sabrina-1 and 2
Wake- 4 and 5
Cynthia- 4 and 5
Steven-3
Oak-1,2,and 4 so I'll give you that one.

As far as total in game appearances go(not counting remakes or PWT), I'm not really sure.

wakbob

When is serebii updating the rivals page with the main characters?

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Wasn't counting PWT.

Looker- 4, 5, 6
Red-1 and 2
Jasmine- 2 and 4
Sabrina-1 and 2
Wake- 4 and 5
Cynthia- 4 and 5
Steven-3

As far as total in game appearances go(not counting remakes or PWT), I'm not really sure.

In that case, Sabrina would actually have three appearances to her name, as she plays the villain in a line of Pokéstar Studios films in B2W2.

Also, I personally wouldn't count mentions/references, because they're very difficult to keep track of. But that's just me. :p

On an unrelated note, did anybody else feel sad when...

...it was said that Looker's [Croagunk] died while helping him with a case? <:C

Last edited:
That title actually goes to Red and Blue, who have both appeared in five out of six generations so far.

Not counting remakes as separate appearances from their originals, however, then Looker would actually be tied with Red, Blue, Prof. Oak, Steven, Cynthia, Jasmine, Sabrina, and Crasher Wake.[/
Wasn't counting PWT.

Looker- 4, 5, 6
Red-1 and 2
Jasmine- 2 and 4
Sabrina-1 and 2
Wake- 4 and 5
Cynthia- 4 and 5
Steven-3

Technically Steven was in 2 as he was in HGSS (Hoenn starter giver?).

EDIT: also, Caitlin appeared in gen 4 and 5, and 2 if you include Johto frontier (2 and 4 also applies for other Frontier Brains introduced in gen 4 if you count that way). The Magikarp salesman also appears in gens 1 and 5. The Team Rocket executives also appear in gens 1 and 2. The majority of Kanto leaders appear in gens 1 and 2. Bill appears in 1 and 2, as does Giovanni (though you may choose not to count 2 as this is event only). In fact almost every character in gen 1 appears in gen 2.

Last edited:

Born Better

God of Lightning
In that case, Sabrina would actually have three appearances to her name, as she plays the villain in a line of Pokéstar Studios films in B2W2.

Also, I personally wouldn't count mentions/references, because they're very difficult to keep track of. But that's just me. :p

Didn't really play pokestar so I didn't know that. And I wasn't counting references; I simply brought it up.

Technically Steven was in 2 as he was in HGSS (Hoenn starter giver?).

EDIT: also, Caitlin appeared in gen 4 and 5, and 2 if you include Johto frontier (2 and 4 also applies for other Frontier Brains introduced in gen 4 if you count that way). The Magikarp salesman also appears in gens 1 and 5. The Team Rocket executives also appear in gens 1 and 2. The majority of Kanto leaders appear in gens 1 and 2. Bill appears in 1 and 2, as does Giovanni (though you may choose not to count 2 as this is event only). In fact almost every character in gen 1 appears in gen 2.
Didn't know about Steven so okay. HGSS is still gen 4, so no. And I was only responding to the characters bruh man listed.

Regality

Digital King
Quick question!

You know how you share a romantic firework display with Shauna? Well what happens if you play as the female character?

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Quick question!

You know how you share a romantic firework display with Shauna? Well what happens if you play as the female character?

She says that she is glad to have you as a friend (or something to that effect).

Also, the male protagonist's version of the fireworks display isn't really all that "romantic" anyway, in my opinion.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod

Yes. I couldn't believe that actually happened. Given that we actually saw that same Croagunk in Platinum, the fact that it's now dead is a huge surprise. I really want to know what kind of case Looker was on to cause a result like that. Poor Croagunk...

ShadowKreach

I did a double take when I read that. It came totally out of the blue and made me feel really bad for Looker. I wasn't expecting such a dark turn, especially not in the post-game...

Speaking of, despite my initial view of the game being that it was a lot more light-hearted and goofy than most previous games (Thanks for that, Team Flare Grunts), I actually feel like X & Y could be the darkest games in the series yet. There are so many weird things to think about in the game that it just changed the atmosphere of the entire game to a much more serious tone.

For one thing, there's Team Flare, who, as I mentioned, initially struck me as being really goofy, more like Team Galactic than Team Plasma or (To a lesser extent) Team Rocket. Nothing they did really made any sense until much later in the story where you find out that they're essentially made up of a bunch of people who have payed a crap ton of money to get into Team Flare so as not to be completely obliterated by an ancient super weapon that their boss wants to activate to cleanse the world. Yeah.
What's even worse is that it's less somewhat ambiguous as to what happened to Lysandre after he fires off the weapon with the little power that it has left, although a lot of people interpret his firing of the weapon as being Lysandre committing suicide (And potentially killing every Team Flare member left in the HQ too). Yeah.

Then there's the Post-Game Looker sidequests, which I felt were more dark than even the main plot of the games. You meet a young girl whose parents are implied to be dead (Or she's just been abandoned, depending on how you interpret it), we get told that Looker's Croagunk was killed while Looker was on a mission, Malva tells you to be prepared to face death if you go to face Xerosic and as far as I can tell she wouldn't have been too happy if Looker hadn't kept his side of a deal they made (I don't know if it's ever disclosed what the deal was).

Then finally there are all kinds of side things to do which can potentially end up being dark, the most prominent of which in my mind is when you give one of you Pokemon to the old man in Anistar City, who tells you his wife recently passed away and that he's feeling lonely. If you haven't given him a Pokemon yet, I highly suggest you do.

Yeah, I think I made my point. X & Y are dark.

Oshakpop

Eeveelution Master
I definitely love how GameFreak is continuously putting dark undertones into the storylines. If you skimmed past it all you'd think it was harmless and meant nothing, but then we're able to delve into it and really get what it means. GameFreak definitely has all the fandom in their minds nowadays, giving the older fans the dark storyline that they can find by reading between the lines, but giving the younger fans a fun storyline.

I've already forgotten what happens at the end, but it's not revealed what happened to Lysandre, the Scientists (bar Xerosic) or the rest of Team Flare is it?. I presumed that Lysandre was killed by the blast and some of the other members, but most will do the usual and just disappear or give up being a member.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
For one thing, there's Team Flare, who, as I mentioned, initially struck me as being really goofy, more like Team Galactic than Team Plasma or (To a lesser extent) Team Rocket. Nothing they did really made any sense until much later in the story where you find out that they're essentially made up of a bunch of people who have payed a crap ton of money to get into Team Flare so as not to be completely obliterated by an ancient super weapon that their boss wants to activate to cleanse the world. Yeah.
What's even worse is that it's less somewhat ambiguous as to what happened to Lysandre after he fires off the weapon with the little power that it has left, although a lot of people interpret his firing of the weapon as being Lysandre committing suicide (And potentially killing every Team Flare member left in the HQ too). Yeah.

Not to mention the stones on Route 10 being, in reality, devices that are used to drain the life energy of Pokémon in order to power the ultimate weapon. During the story, if you talk to the grunts who block the path to Route 10 once the weapon is activated, one of them says something like "I won't listen to the Pokémon's cries!" and another says "I'm not letting you through. Someone your age shouldn't be exposed to such sights."

Then finally there are all kinds of side things to do which can potentially end up being dark, the most prominent of which in my mind is when you give one of you Pokemon to the old man in Anistar City, who tells you his wife recently passed away and that he's feeling lonely. If you haven't given him a Pokemon yet, I highly suggest you do.

Oh man. I had already read about what happens if you do that and I legitimately cried a little when I went to talk to him myself.

(Also, just to note (for the benefit of anybody who may want to try it), defeating the Elite Four/Champion is the trigger for the resolution of that mini-plot.)

TyranatarGojira

I like to think
That in some distant region they were stopping the evil plot of Team Psycho, some psychic supremist group. Lookers Croagunk held off four Metagross, taking them all down with it while Looker difussed a device that would have killed every Dark Type in the region.

diakyu

Not to mention the stones on Route 10 being, in reality, devices that are used to drain the life energy of Pokémon in order to power the ultimate weapon. During the story, if you talk to the grunts who block the path to Route 10 once the weapon is activated, one of them says something like "I won't listen to the Pokémon's cries!" and another says "I'm not letting you through. Someone your age shouldn't be exposed to such sights."
I never talked to them, but what the crap. That's horrible.

Exacus

I remember seeing the last panel in AZ's flashback. The first time I saw it, I thought: "Whoa, are those the tombstones of Pokemon killed by the ancient weapon's blast?"

But after watching the story's climax again, I realized that the stones were not used as a remembrance of those killed by the ultimate weapon, but instead, they were used to drain the life energy of Pokemon attached to them for the sake of Floette's resurrection. And then I thought: "Holy crap! Those stones have Pokemon images on them because the sacrificed Pokemon became petrified and merged with the stones as a result of their life force being taken away..."

Last edited:

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
After playing the story, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in it. It's one of those stories where I feel it has some excellent concepts to it (like Lysandre's ultimate goal), but it lacks the depth and execution to truly bring them out in some areas, especially when it comes to a majority of the characters where I feel ended up being too one-note. If it wasn't for that, the story would be excellent, but I can't help but feel that it just missed the mark because it didn't follow through.

I'm a bit confused by that actually, the flare members imply that Pokémon spirits are being harvested, but IIRC there were some comments that the energy was (at least mostly) coming from the statues that housed passed away Pokémon. Were the housed Pokémon the ones crying? I'm curious about that.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I'm a bit confused by that actually, the flare members imply that Pokémon spirits are being harvested, but IIRC there were some comments that the energy was (at least mostly) coming from the statues that housed passed away Pokémon. Were the housed Pokémon the ones crying? I'm curious about that.

You have to talk to Bryony after you battle her and Celosia at Lysandre Labs in order to learn this, but while the stones normally output energy, the flow reverses when the weapon is activated and absorbs the lives of Pokémon that are attached to them instead. Team Flare used the Poké Balls that they stole from the factory in Laverre City in order to capture Pokémon with high energy levels (which I assume is what the scientist's visors are used to detect) and then attached those Poké Balls to the stones. Once Xerosic activated the weapon, the stones began draining the life energy of the Pokémon in those Poké Balls (although Tierno, Trevor, Totally-Not-Sina, and Totally-Not-Dexio managed to disrupt the process).

I assume that the grunt who mentioned the Pokémon's cries was referring to the cries of the living Pokémon in the Poké Balls, in the same way that, say, Korrina said that she could feel Lucario's fondness for you emanating from its Poké Ball.

shadowF

Do you guys think we are not able to re battle shauna, tierno and trevor or perhaps we can re battle them post game?

Exacus

Nope, we're not. Tierno gives you fetch quests for heart scales, Trevor tells you if a Pokemon that has a Mevolution every day, and Shauna just stands in front of your house for the rest of her life after she trades you her starter's baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.