• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Characters/Storyline Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grey Wind

The rivals in this game are kind of annoying. Serena is bland as hell and Tierno has a really irritating personality. Trevor and Shauna are ok, but they're still pretty boring. The whole group dynamic is pretty interesting though, and I like how they actually... exist when you're not talking to them. It's cool to see the rivals battling trainers and what not.

Vintrial

Whouffle.
Is AZ the king they all talk about ?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I'm not surprised at Tierno being irritating; the moment I saw his artwork I was worried that he would be. Strange how in this case I could judge a book by its cover lol. I really don't care for the trio though (Shauna, Tierno, Trevor). I know a lot of people were happy about them when they were revealed, but the idea of having a whole group of characters who support you throughout your journey didn't really interest me. I'm only here for the two playable characters (Calem and Serena).

Itzen

The rivals in this game are kind of annoying. Serena is bland as hell and Tierno has a really irritating personality. Trevor and Shauna are ok, but they're still pretty boring. The whole group dynamic is pretty interesting though, and I like how they actually... exist when you're not talking to them. It's cool to see the rivals battling trainers and what not.

They are quite annoying, but what I really find annoying is the nickname they give you. They use it all the time. I chose mine without putting much thought into it and now I hate it. Is there any way to change it?

DaftPol

Hi! I'm freakin' out. I've completed the main game and have captured Mewtwo, but in Kiloude City I can't finde my rival. What should i do to find she? Thanks :3

diakyu

Sycamore assistants are quite, uh, interesting I guess. In a sense that I think there is something wrong with them.

Last edited:

sarysa

Series slave
The pop culture overload and humor in this game reminds me why I love the series. The one-off characters are more entertaining than the story characters...

Aside from shorts kid being back yet again, I've seen a psychic referencing Over 9000, a Roughneck speaking like a tough guy while thrilled about his Jigglypuff evolving (which itself invokes memory of that old rap in the anime 15 years ago, where the vocalist was overenthusiastic about Wigglytuff) and more.
Also, you now have to click through the trainers' loss messages...so they're hard to miss.

Definitely worth talking to everyone in this installment. Will be hard to put down. :)

Unlimited

I'm almost at the 2nd gym, and I do kinda have a problem with the storyline. Even though generations 1-4 really didn't have much going on in terms of story, the game at least felt like it had a direction. Gen 5 was a lot better in developing story and characters to push the player forward, but X and Y really just feel like the plot is all over the place. I have no idea what my goal is (outside of gym badges, elite 4, etc., but even this is barely mentioned in this game). Every new zone/route/city feels like I'm just randomly set to work because, well, I am the main character. No other explanation is need apparently.

It kinda reminds me of the Dragon Quest games.

Also, Team Flare is by far the worst villainous team the series has seen. I really hope gen 7 brings back Team Rocket.

diakyu

I'm almost at the 2nd gym, and I do kinda have a problem with the storyline. Even though generations 1-4 really didn't have much going on in terms of story, the game at least felt like it had a direction. Gen 5 was a lot better in developing story and characters to push the player forward, but X and Y really just feel like the plot is all over the place. I have no idea what my goal is (outside of gym badges, elite 4, etc., but even this is barely mentioned in this game). Every new zone/route/city feels like I'm just randomly set to work because, well, I am the main character. No other explanation is need apparently.
The group is searching for the secret to Mega Evolution (they say it a lot). That's why they're traveling. The professor told them where to go, and they're working from there. You're also only at the second gym.

Also, Team Flare is by far the worst villainous team the series has seen. I really hope gen 7 brings back Team Rocket.
Whelp

Unlimited

The group is searching for the secret to Mega Evolution (they say it a lot). That's why they're traveling. The professor told them where to go, and they're working from there. You're also only at the second gym.

Whelp

Yes, I was being a little facetious with that I said, but sending a group of 10 year old kids out to find the secret to "Mega Evolution" while barely explaining what it actually is. "Go to Camphrier Town, where you will find a clue" is basically what you were told after you picked up your Kanto starter. It feels like a wild goose chase. It's nothing like the previous generations.

As I said, everything (to me) feels scattered and directionless.

diakyu

Yes, I was being a little facetious with that I said, but sending a group of 10 year old kids out to find the secret to "Mega Evolution" while barely explaining what it actually is. "Go to Camphrier Town, where you will find a clue" is basically what you were told after you picked up your Kanto starter. It feels like a wild goose chase. It's nothing like the previous generations.
No.... It's exactly like every other generation. In fact it might have more direction.

Gen 1: Oak basically says go fight some pokemon and maybe finish the pokedex. No direction.
Gen 2: "Go after that thief. We don't know where he went, but we figure you'll find him eventually". So where do I go?
Gen 3: I literally don't remember what the goal here was, so I guess I can't talk about this one.
Gen 4: Work on Professor Rowan's pokedex. Follow your friend how should lay off the cola.
Gen 5BW: Your Mom thinks you should go adventuring. Leave. And work on my pokedex while you're at it.

All gens lack direction at one point, especially 1, 2, and 4. They pick up eventually just like this game does (after the third gym). And about sending children out to do adult work, that's every pokemon game.

VainAttempts

Marsh Trainer
Even though it's very obvious, how exactly does Shauna have feelings for you? Like does she confirm this? I'm only just finishing up with the third gym, so I don't know if this is a fact or just something like Hilda and N where fans think they like each other.

sarysa

Series slave
Even though it's very obvious, how exactly does Shauna have feelings for you? Like does she confirm this? I'm only just finishing up with the third gym, so I don't know if this is a fact or just something like Hilda and N where fans think they like each other.

This is the exact same for the female main character. It's probably just a "best friends" relationship for both heroes. (for some reason, Japanese games tend to get translated with more intimate sounding friendships...or we Americans are oversensitive to possible shipping)

Last edited:

Oshakpop

Eeveelution Master
This is a bit Post-game Spoiler, but it's a Storyline!

So Looker returns and rents a building in Lumiose City. He poses as a Detective (Apparently we aren't supposed to know he's a member of the International Police) and simply, you become his detective partner, you help a homeless girl, she becomes the assistant to looker, but she's also the leader of this gang, but the gang become good, then it turns out Emma gets a job with Dr. Xerosic who puts her in this robotic suit which controls her under a name 'Essentia' and steals Pokémon. In the end, Xerosic gives in (He's actually much nicer than you'd think in the main story), Looker reveals his true identity, reveals he's leaving, Xerosic goes with him to be arrrested, Looker gives you his name 'Looker' (as it's not his real one but we never get his actual name) and Emma becomes the head of the Detective Bureau. This all takes place in Lumiose City.

It's actually a really good post-game story. Also, Malva, the E4 member, reveals she used to be a member of Team Flare. You battle her but she only has her Pyroar.

I loved the addition of this, as it gave more of a story added on. I just wish there was more postgame storylines like this. My thoughts, is that in a potential sequel, Emma returns possibly older. It's nice to see Looker again too! I suspect this also confirms that XY are set after all other games (Not completely sure though)

Unlimited

Question: Is Tierno supposed to talk like the language of the region if foreign to him?

1zvd5pu.jpg

"starting moving" doesn't make sense.

Leosnake

No.... It's exactly like every other generation. In fact it might have more direction.

Gen 1: Oak basically says go fight some pokemon and maybe finish the pokedex. No direction.
Gen 2: "Go after that thief. We don't know where he went, but we figure you'll find him eventually". So where do I go?
Gen 3: I literally don't remember what the goal here was, so I guess I can't talk about this one.
Gen 4: Work on Professor Rowan's pokedex. Follow your friend how should lay off the cola.
Gen 5BW: Your Mom thinks you should go adventuring. Leave. And work on my pokedex while you're at it.

All gens lack direction at one point, especially 1, 2, and 4. They pick up eventually just like this game does (after the third gym). And about sending children out to do adult work, that's every pokemon game.

LOL funny and yet spot on. I believe though I could be wrong that the goal of gen 3 was to both surpass your father who is a gym leader and also just complete the Poke dex like in gen 1. I didn't really read anymore into it than that to be honest.

And as for cola I got the impression it was more a red bull overdose at one point. Shauna in this gen strikes me as having a little cola at some points and I'm not even that far into the game.

Other than that I get the impression that however ridiculas they are Team Flare might have something to do with the mega stones existence. However small that something may be.

Oshakpop

Eeveelution Master
By the way, where the hell was Alexa? She only ever appeared for that split second in Santalune, I've not seen her at all since. I just expected her to have a bigger role (I suppose I have the anime to blame for that) I thought she'd of at least turned up every now and again when you battled someone.

Blazios

By the way, where the hell was Alexa? She only ever appeared for that split second in Santalune, I've not seen her at all since. I just expected her to have a bigger role (I suppose I have the anime to blame for that) I thought she'd of at least turned up every now and again when you battled someone.

You can see her again the second time you go to Lumiose.

Status
Not open for further replies.