• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Characters/Storyline Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldCyndaquil

Shiny Hunter
Just got to parfrum palace and I always wonder what happens if you don't have that $1000 entrance fee? My guess is that you can't progress through the game if you don't. That's messed up gamefeak lol

I just don't like that they gates are forever open then, you can't retake pictures in front of the awesome Serperior gates. What they should've done is had you pay for the entry but the gates just reopen every time.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Just got to parfrum palace and I always wonder what happens if you don't have that $1000 entrance fee? My guess is that you can't progress through the game if you don't. That's messed up gamefeak lol

I'm guessing that they'd just let you in for free, or take whatever money you do have.

Same as usual for that type of situation.

the pacing in the game was terrible, there was this long wait between the first and second gym and then once you get to korrina, you face her then ramos and clemont and valerie so close together its crazy. i feel in comparison to the story of team plasma and ghetsis and N this story was lacking like crazy. The scientists had the same pokemon as admins or grunts just slightly higher levels, and when you face lasondra (or however you spell it) you face him 3 times in like 30 mins, it was dumb. the should have just left him with one battle with his mega. Also in comparison to BW, and BW2 the gym leaders were so insignificant, korrina was the only one that played a part in your journey for anything. The lack of Mega evolutions in the story was really a bummer to, for how much they hyped them up you'd think maybe at least the elite 4 would have megas or your rival before you beat the game. Also the lack of hype for the legendary, it barely played a part. it was so insignificant. if you had a mega evolution and actually used it throughout the game you would destroy everyone. The only thing i really liked throughout the game storywise is your main rival, he wasnt a moron like the guy in BW2 and he showed up frequent enough. The lack of pokemon gym leaders and elite 4 and rivals used was annoying as you would always have an easy chance at beating them. I just felt bored playing it. there was no challenge, even though it is the same routine they should have really made the story good like 5th gen. for all of 5th gens flaws it excelled in that area. One thing i found awesome in X and Y is how many pokemon there were in each area. it kept things interesting and gave you so many options. while X and Y did so many great things it really flunked in a lot of areas as well

bigbro223

I was never really creeped out by the Shauna thing. It just seemed like a "younger person admiring/liking someone who happens to be a few years older" thing, which I imagine for kids around that age isn't too bizarre of a situation to occur.
I always imagined it as just a height difference.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
No offense to those who read this, but, to me, X and Y seemed kind of shallow. By which I mean there wasn't much to do in it. Think about it, R/S had Contests, Pokeblock making, Slots, Roulette, and Secret Bases; Emerald had Contests, Pokeblock, Battle Frontier, Slots, Roulette, and Secret Bases; D/P had Super Contests, Poffin, Amity Square, Slots, Underground, Secret Bases, Poketch, and Pal Park; Platinum had Super Contests, Poffin, Amity Square, Slots, Underground, Secret Bases, Poketch, Pal Park, and Battle Frontier; HG/SS had Pokeathlon, Pokegear, Battle Frontier, Pokewalker, and Pokemon following you; B/W had Royal Unova, C-Gear, Musicals, Dream World, and the sports domes; and lastly B2/W2 had Musicals, Royal Unova, Dream World, Medals, PokeStar Studios, PWT, Mall, C-Gear, Black Tower/White Treehollow, and sports domes. In comparison, X and Y had pretty much nothing. All it had was the Battle Chateau, Battle Maison, Mega Evolution(which wasn't what it was cracked up to be in my opinion), the Trainer PR videos, and outfit customization. That's not much in comparison. The PR videos weren't much to get excited about and the Battle Maison was nowhere NEAR as fun as Battle Frontiers. Don't get me started on Mega Evolution, it is NOT a big deal in the slightest. Only a few are really worth anything to me. I just hope that, in the third game, they add TONS of new features. It only took me 13 hours to beat X, my previous record had been 31 hours on Pearl.

~Ayra~;267;

I think it's a bit unfair to compare XY with entire generations of past games, considering this is the first entry to Gen 6. Let's take a look on all first entries in every gen, except Gen 1.

[spoil]GS introduced:
:: [Mechanics] Held Items, Friendship, Breeding, Shiny Pokemon, Pokerus, Steel and Dark Type, Special Stat split, Mystery Gift
:: [Connectivity] Cable Club
:: [Features] Pokegear (includes Trainer Rematches, Swarms, Lottery), Berries, Apricorns, Time System, Bug Catching Contest, Headbutting Trees

RS introduced:
:: [Mechanics] Abilities, Natures, New standard Pokeballs, Weather conditions, Ribbons, Double Battles, EV/IV system has been updated
:: [Features] Running Shoes, PokeNav, Pokemon Contests, Pokeblocks, Secret Bases, TV

DP introduced:
:: [Mechanics] 3D Environment, Physical/Special Attack type split
:: [Connectivity] Global Trade Station, Pal Park
:: [Features] Poketch, Amity Square, Pal Park, Poffin, Accessories, Seals, Underground, Pokemon Contests (mechanics altered), Great Marsh (replaces Safari Zone), PokeRadar, Berry Mulch, Tag Battle Partners

BW introduced:
:: [Mechanics] Fully animated sprites, Seasons, Triple Battles, Rotation Battles, Infinite-use TMs, Phenomena, Wild Pokemon Double Battle
:: [Connectivity] Pokemon Global Link (including Dream World, Global Battle Union), PokeTransfer, C-Gear (including XTransceiver, Entralink), Wonder Launcher
:: [Features] Black City/White Forest, Sports Domes, Battle Institute, Royal Unova, Pokemon Musicals (replaced Contests), Battle Subway (replaced Battle Tower)

XY introduced:
:: [Mechanics] Full 3D gameplay, 8-grid Movement, Sky Battles, Inverse Battles, Horde Encounters, Fairy Type, Mega Evolution
:: [Connectivity] Player Search System (including Wonder Trade, PokeMileage Club, Battle Spot (replaces GBU's Random Matchup), O-Powers (replaces Entralink's Pass Powers), Holo Caster), Friend Safari (Dream World meets Safari Zone), Pokemon Bank/Transporter
:: [Features] Trainer Customization, Pokemon-Amie, Super Training, Battle Maison (replaces Battle Tower/Subway), Battle Chateau, Restaurant Battles, Berry Mutations, Skating, Riding Overworld Pokemon, Trainer PR Videos, Looker Post-game Sidequest

THIRD VERSION/SEQUEL
----------------------
Crystal introduced:
:: [Mechanics] Sprite Animation, Female Main Character
:: [Features] Move Tutors, Odd Egg, Battle Tower

Emerald introduced:
:: [Mechanics] Updated Double Battles (two different trainers at once)
:: [Features] Battle Frontier, Battle Tents, Trainer Hill

Platinum introduced:
:: [Mechanics] Animated Trainer Sprites
:: [Connectivity] Wi-Fi Plaza, VS Recorder
:: [Features] Battle Frontier returns, Distortion World, Battleground, Resort Area Villa (pretty much works like a Secret Base)

B2/W2 introduced:
:: [Connectivity] Unova Link (includes Difficulty Mode, Memory Link, Regi Keys), Pokemon Dream Radar
:: [Features] PokeStar Studios, Pokemon World Tournament, Join Avenue, Hidden Grotto, Medals, Black Tower/White Treehollow, Southwest and Northeast Unova expansion

*Gen 6 have yet to introduce a 3rd game.

REMAKES
----------------------
FRLG
:: [Mechanics] Alternate Form (it all started with Deoxys)
:: [Connectivity] Wireless Club
:: [Features] Sevii Islands, VS Seeker, Teachy TV, Fame Checker

HGSS
:: [Mechanics] Walking Pokemon (although the concept was introduced in Yellow)
:: [Connectivity] PokeWalker
:: [Features] Enhanced PokeGear, Voltorb Flip, GB Sounds, Pokeathlon, Apriblender, Berry Pots, Photo Spots, Fighting Dojo (HGSS' Battleground), west Johto expansion (including the new Safari Zone, Embedded Tower)

*Gen 6 have yet to introduce a remake.[/spoil]

XY isn't really that shallow as you might think it is.

PinkiePieFox

Team Flare Grunt
Took me around 2 weeks to playthrough Pokemon Y, but that is because I speak to EVERY NPC, try and catch as many Pokemon as possible. I felt that the storyline itself was, well, it just felt unfinished to me. I'm not someone who rushes through games, I want my value for money. And I actually liked the easiness of the game, the one thing I don't like about any game is levelling up. Just me I know. I could do a monotype Nuzlocke for a real challenge if I wanted to do it.

Of course, it just depends how you felt about Pokemon X and Y. I personally LOVE it, mostly because the PSS has gotten me into competitive battling and Pokemon has never been so fun!

Treasurepanda

The battle girl looks like a phsyco clawing at me.
The twins and little kids you battle randomly are adorable.

The people who were actually animated during battle have mouths that are way to small. How do they eat with those.

Shauna looks like a little four year old. Calem is wearing clothes that look like hes jogging and trying to loose weight. I didnt mind the other rivals that much though.

The elite four were too easy to beat and their pokemon didnt level up after you beat them the first time so its hard leveling up my pokemon. They only level up like twice unless theyre level one.

Team flare was a bit over the top. They did that stupid arm/hand thing. Why couldn't they be cool? They should've put team rocket back in their.

Everyone looks like little kids. Im 19, I look like im 12 on there. I think we should be able to pick our age.

They ruined spoink. They made it look like its walking in a parade. Miltanks udders are huge lol.

I thought the storyline would be better.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
The battle girl looks like a phsyco clawing at me.
The twins and little kids you battle randomly are adorable.

The people who were actually animated during battle have mouths that are way to small. How do they eat with those.

Shauna looks like a little four year old. Calem is wearing clothes that look like hes jogging and trying to loose weight. I didnt mind the other rivals that much though.

The elite four were too easy to beat and their pokemon didnt level up after you beat them the first time so its hard leveling up my pokemon. They only level up like twice unless theyre level one.

Team flare was a bit over the top. They did that stupid arm/hand thing. Why couldn't they be cool? They should've put team rocket back in their.

Everyone looks like little kids. Im 19, I look like im 12 on there. I think we should be able to pick our age.

They ruined spoink. They made it look like its walking in a parade. Miltanks udders are huge lol.

I thought the storyline would be better.

The 3D overworld models are done in anime chibi style. Of course they would all look like kids. Don't expect realistic anatomy in this game.

As for leveling up your Pokemon, there are several ways to do it faster:
- Use the EXP O-Power
- Have your Pokemon hold Lucky Egg
- Play with your Pokemon in Pokemon-Amie until you get the EXP bonus

As for Team Flare... they are supposed to be over the top, and goofy.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
After reading some info on this site about Floette-E, aka the Eternal Flower, something tells me that she, being AZ's partner or his beloved queen, may just have a potential new role that she could do as a character in the next game. The fact that her total base stats are just about the same as her fully evolved species, and that she was a centralizing character for mere moments in X and Y, I am intrigued on what is her role in the next potential game.

Heck, something tells my gut that AZ may team up with you in the potential installment as his student with Floette being the highest leveled one. I dunno, something like what Steven teamed up with you in Emerald against Team Magma/Aqua in the town with the 7th gym. For me, I'll be heck surprised if AZ's Floette would call herself queen. I mean, the name of her signature move Light of Ruin, it sounds like she could just commit a holocaust once more.

So right now, I really anticipate Floette becoming mentioned as a character instead of a pokemon that has significance to the story. Strangely enough for me, having a pokemon as a main character feels so much more attractive than your usual human protagonist ala PMD style.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The 3D overworld models are done in anime chibi style. Of course they would all look like kids. Don't expect realistic anatomy in this game.

As for leveling up your Pokemon, there are several ways to do it faster:
- Use the EXP O-Power
- Have your Pokemon hold Lucky Egg
- Infect you Pokemon with Pokerus
- Play with your Pokemon in Pokemon-Amie until you get the EXP bonus

Doesn't Pokerus only affect EVs? That wouldn't really help you level up faster.

After reading some info on this site about Floette-E, aka the Eternal Flower, something tells me that she, being AZ's partner or his beloved queen, may just have a potential new role that she could do as a character in the next game. The fact that her total base stats are just about the same as her fully evolved species, and that she was a centralizing character for mere moments in X and Y, I am intrigued on what is her role in the next potential game.

Heck, something tells my gut that AZ may team up with you in the potential installment as his student with Floette being the highest leveled one. I dunno, something like what Steven teamed up with you in Emerald against Team Magma/Aqua in the town with the 7th gym. For me, I'll be heck surprised if AZ's Floette would call herself queen. I mean, the name of her signature move Light of Ruin, it sounds like she could just commit a holocaust once more.

So right now, I really anticipate Floette becoming mentioned as a character instead of a pokemon that has significance to the story. Strangely enough for me, having a pokemon as a main character feels so much more attractive than your usual human protagonist ala PMD style.

I don't see how the reveal of Floette-E makes this any more likely. And IMO, it would be a bit too awkward if AZ's Floette acted like a queen. She might play a role in the storyline, though.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
I don't see how the reveal of Floette-E makes this any more likely. And IMO, it would be a bit too awkward if AZ's Floette acted like a queen. She might play a role in the storyline, though.

So, having a pokemon literally "talk" in a Main Series Pokemon game like in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon just doesn't fit for your taste? That's how I can respectfully see it. They somehow did it in last generation's plot.

In my observations, this generation and last gen took ideas most from the popular plotline of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers Saga in terms of depth. Not just grittiness and dark themes. But I'm curious to know something that you may know. Just about how many players, both old and new, wanted Pokemon to be very detailed in terms of plot?

Is the western market a big fan of grim plots and character detail? Cause from what I've been seeing as of currently in my observation in the different elements of the franchise, they wanted Pokemon to be bold with their themes. Not something for the young always. More for themes adults can relate, and less themes that children could understand.

How about characters representing themes and tropes of Survivor's Guilt, Anti-Patriotism, Vengence, and the like?

zulucow

So I've just been playing the Looker quests as my 3DS won't connect to the wifi for some reason. Who at Gamefreak decided to put this here? It's an abomination! I hate it being at the end of the game.

But before you tell me to calm down, let me explain. It is not the looker quests being bad that I am... vexed (to be polite) about. I think they're some of the best written parts of pokemon that I have seen. Sure the story of "Team x is trying to take over the world by using the power of pokemon A and you must harness pokemon B's left shin to stop them before going on to demolish the elite 4" was interesting. But it's been some time since I first played Ruby... doing it again in sapphire, Emerald, Diamond, Black and now X has started to grate a bit. I'm tired of the standard copy pasted tale told in the pokemon games. Red didn't spoon feed me a legendary and then send me off to E4 with my massive "anti E4" pokemon. Soul Silver, although it did rather spoon feed me Lugia, Didn't insist I get it to foil team Rocket's plans. Truth be told I just had to look up the story of silver to work out why I was sent to the depths of whirl island. It certainly didn't have anything to do with the plot. The kimono girls just decided "HEY, Have a Legendary" like some japanese Skinflint Parsimonious (google Bleak Expectations) and the player gets it. The real issue I have with Looker and his run about all over lumiose is that it shows what Pokemon is missing. Story telling, quests, things to fill the time. It could be much improved with a little more distance between each town/city and characters that issue their own little quests. Wouldn't it feel like a more complete game to have actual tasks that allowed you to train along the way and dungeons and caves that served as more than a route from A to B? Looker has been a little taste of what Gamefreak can do and my appetite has certainly been whetted.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
So, having a pokemon literally "talk" in a Main Series Pokemon game like in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon just doesn't fit for your taste? That's how I can respectfully see it. They somehow did it in last generation's plot.

No, I think that it's awkward to see Pokemon acting like humans in the main games. Especially when it puts said Pokemon in a romantic relationship with a human.

In my observations, this generation and last gen took ideas most from the popular plotline of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers Saga in terms of depth. Not just grittiness and dark themes. But I'm curious to know something that you may know. Just about how many players, both old and new, wanted Pokemon to be very detailed in terms of plot?

Is the western market a big fan of grim plots and character detail? Cause from what I've been seeing as of currently in my observation in the different elements of the franchise, they wanted Pokemon to be bold with their themes. Not something for the young always. More for themes adults can relate, and less themes that children could understand.

How about characters representing themes and tropes of Survivor's Guilt, Anti-Patriotism, Vengence, and the like?

Yeah, western gamers generally like dark and gritty plots.

Also, AZ's character arc isn't too far off from Survivor's Guilt.

Dragonair7

Feelin' the heat?

I think she probably will play a part in the next stories. It seems like the 3rd is setting up for something big to happen. I wonder who else would come back/was immortal and is now going to be revealed. Maybe AZ's brother is also still alive and Lysandre is still okay. I think Zygarde will have a Mega Evolution, because his heart could react with Lysandre's/AZ's.

bigbro223

I think she probably will play a part in the next stories. It seems like the 3rd is setting up for something big to happen. I wonder who else would come back/was immortal and is now going to be revealed. Maybe AZ's brother is also still alive and Lysandre is still okay. I think Zygarde will have a Mega Evolution, because his heart could react with Lysandre's/AZ's.
If Lysandre used Xerneas/Yveltal to power AZ's machine, what did AZ use? Just the living Pokémon, or maybe he used Zygarde? If the latter is correct, I doubt AZ would be too friendly with Zygarde.

Ayrafeneres

~Contest Master~
I still think that there wasn't much to the game. I stopped playing it and went back to playing Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds. I'm not saying X and Y were bad, they weren't. There was just no depth. I just hope that the third game will have TONS to do. And, is it just me, or are there practically NO legendaries? I mean, there's Yveltal, Xerneas, Zygarde, and Diancie. That's not a lot. Kinda boring if you ask me. I mean, all the other gens had tons of legendaries. Only one I can think of that didn't have many legendaries is gen 1. Mew, Mewtwo, Zapdos, Moltres, and Articuno. Though that's still more than gen 6. In gen 2 there was Suicune, Raikou, Entei, Lugia, Ho-oh, and Celebi, gen 3 had Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latios, Latias, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Jirachi, and Deoxys(damn that's a lot), gen 4 was Mesprit, Uxie, Azelf, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Regigigas, Cresselia, Darkrai, Heatran, Shaymin, Phione, Manaphy, and Arceus, and gen 5 had Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus, Meloetta, Keldeo, Genesect, Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem. Gen 6 seems dull in comparison. Also, that can't leave much room for movies. Since there aren't many legendaries, there isn't much to go by with the movies. But, that's just my opinion.

~Ayra~;267;

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I still think that there wasn't much to the game. I stopped playing it and went back to playing Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds. I'm not saying X and Y were bad, they weren't. There was just no depth. I just hope that the third game will have TONS to do.

Third games generally tend to have more to do than the first two, so it probably will. But then again, this game had less than most beginning of generation games normally do (DP, BW1, and maybe RS have more replay value than this).

And, is it just me, or are there practically NO legendaries? I mean, there's Yveltal, Xerneas, Zygarde, and Diancie. That's not a lot. Kinda boring if you ask me. I mean, all the other gens had tons of legendaries. Only one I can think of that didn't have many legendaries is gen 1. Mew, Mewtwo, Zapdos, Moltres, and Articuno. Though that's still more than gen 6. In gen 2 there was Suicune, Raikou, Entei, Lugia, Ho-oh, and Celebi, gen 3 had Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latios, Latias, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Jirachi, and Deoxys(damn that's a lot), gen 4 was Mesprit, Uxie, Azelf, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Regigigas, Cresselia, Darkrai, Heatran, Shaymin, Phione, Manaphy, and Arceus, and gen 5 had Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus, Meloetta, Keldeo, Genesect, Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem. Gen 6 seems dull in comparison. Also, that can't leave much room for movies. Since there aren't many legendaries, there isn't much to go by with the movies. But, that's just my opinion.

6th gen actually has two more event Pokemon which have not been officially revealed (Hoopa and Volcanion), which puts it just above 1st gen and on par with 2nd gen in terms of number of total legendaries. In terms of main game legendaries though, it doesn't have that much. But I wouldn't have wanted them to cram the game with a zillion legendaries anyway, that makes them less special. Having an extra trio of legendaries would've been nice.

Grey Wind

RS were great, but there's no way they had more replay value than XY. The only thing they had was the Battle Tower, XY at least has the Looker Missions and the mega stone hunt (and also breeding, multiplayer and what not is way easier and more fun to do post-game than it was in RS).

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
If Lysandre used Xerneas/Yveltal to power AZ's machine, what did AZ use? Just the living Pokémon, or maybe he used Zygarde? If the latter is correct, I doubt AZ would be too friendly with Zygarde.
AZ used Xerneas/Yveltal. The Mega Stones were created when regular stones were infused with the energies of Xerneas/Yveltal via the blast from the ultimate weapon 3,000 years prior, so one of those two had to be in the machine.

And, is it just me, or are there practically NO legendaries? I mean, there's Yveltal, Xerneas, Zygarde, and Diancie. That's not a lot. Kinda boring if you ask me. I mean, all the other gens had tons of legendaries. Only one I can think of that didn't have many legendaries is gen 1. Mew, Mewtwo, Zapdos, Moltres, and Articuno.

First of all, I suspect that the small number of Legendary Pokémon is a response to the enormous amount of people who kept saying that they added too many in Gens IV and V, as well as a way to recapture the spirit of Gen I as these games tried to do.

Second, Gen VI introduced six Legendary Pokémon. Hoopa and Volcanion are our other two event-only Pokémon, and that puts it on par with Gen II as far as the number of new Legendary Pokémon goes. The only difference is that the ratio of in-game vs. event-only Pokémon is 50/50 instead of 80/20.

Third, these games also included Mewtwo and the Winged Mirages. In total, that gives Kalos ten region-relevant Legendary Pokémon, with four per game cart being catchable in-game without an event (one of the Winged Mirages, Mewtwo, and two of the Mortality Trio. That's just as many as RBY (the Winged Mirages and Mewtwo), one fewer than GSC and FRLG (the Legendary Beasts and the Tower Duo in GSC; the Winged Mirages, Mewtwo, and one of the Legendary Beasts in FRLG), two fewer than RS (the Legendary Golems, one of the Eon Duo, and two of the Weather Trio), three fewer than Emerald and BW (the Legendary Golems, one of the Eon Duo, and the Weather Trio in Emerald; the Swords of Justice, two of the Kami Trio, and two of the Tao Trio in BW), four fewer than DP (the Lake Trio, two of the Spacetime Trio, Heatran, Regigigas, and Cresselia), eight fewer than Platinum and HGSS (the Winged Mirages, the Lake Trio, the Spacetime Trio, Heatran, Regigigas, and Cresselia in Platinum; the Winged Mirages, Mewtwo, the Legendary Beasts, the Tower Duo, one of the Eon Duo, and two of the Weather Trio in HGSS) and eleven fewer than B2W2 (the Legendary Golems, one of the Eon Duo, the Lake Trio, Heatran, Regigigas, Cresselia, the Swords of Justice, and two of the Tao Trio).

All in all, as far as in-game Legendary Pokémon go, XY aren't lacking any more significantly than most of the installments thus far. Granted that they are tied for the least amount, but DP, Platinum, HGSS, and B2W2 are the only ones that outnumber it by more than three.

Status
Not open for further replies.