• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
DK 64 is one of those games I like, but its jankiness and weird design choices makes it the type of game I could definitely not beat in one sitting.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Chuck Tingle also showed up to prove love is real

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
Addition to the last part of the above: Trails of Cold Steel 3 just got announced yesterday! There are also PS4 versions of the first two games coming next month, so now is the best time to be getting into the series!
I'm pretty excited for this. I'm getting those PS4 remasters, too, so I'll probably sit on those for a bit and play them leading up to 3's release. My only reservation is, 1 and 2's localization was pretty much flawless, and internet nerds who know more about this stuff than me claim that NIS typically does hackjobs on their localizations. I guess we'll see, but it would be disappointing if there's a noticeable step back.

Anyway, I'm trying to think of a rambling addendum I could add here the way I usually do when I post here (especially because I know nothing of DK64, etc.), but I'm drawing a blank. I'll leave this as a warning to anybody who sees this on store shelves and gets the same bright idea I had: don't buy Canada Dry's ginger ale/lemonade mix. I thought, "Well, that sounds interesting, and there's no way they'd sell it if it's bad," but that's exactly what they did.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Knowing nothing about DK 64 is the right thing. It's famous for being one of the worst older games to 100%

The new versions are open world games where no one but a few crazy and dedicated people 100% complete it, like later Assassin's Creed games.

Zora

perpetually tired
I'm pretty excited for this. I'm getting those PS4 remasters, too, so I'll probably sit on those for a bit and play them leading up to 3's release. My only reservation is, 1 and 2's localization was pretty much flawless, and internet nerds who know more about this stuff than me claim that NIS typically does hackjobs on their localizations. I guess we'll see, but it would be disappointing if there's a noticeable step back.

My feelings are complicated.

NISA does not have a good track record; the whole debacle around Ys 8 and having to retranslate the entire project doesn't exactly install confidence. At the same time, the key people who worked on Trails from XSEED aren't there anymore; for a company as small as XSEED, that loss fundamentally changes the company. Like, even if XSEED did get the license again, there's no guarantee they'd be able to deliver without their Trails staff. A good sign though is NISA recruited those ex-seed employees to have some role in their current CS3 project.

In the end, I'm not expecting Cold Steel 3 to live up to the previous games in terms of localization, but also I'm not entirely sure what the alternative is. Like, aside from NISA translating it, waiting for a fan translation (which would also require a PS4 emulator to exist) seems like the most likely scenario... yeah, I'd take the NISA option.

Few things to add:
  • I thought Ys 8, after its re-translation, was fine all things considered. Maybe not quite up to the previous trails games, but certainly not something I'd mourn over either.
  • Please, for the love of aidios, leave the creators (e.g. Brittany "Hatsuu" Avery and Sean "Rean's VA" Chiplock) out of this. They have made it clear they do not want to be involved in the 'XSEED vs NISA' drama, so respect that.

^^^ Hatsuu and Sean made their own statements to stop bashing NISA aimlessly and consensus among the fan community I’m in is that some are wary, but most are just happy a big localisation team is on it and we finally get western merch. NISA are very clearly trying to not replicate initial Ys 8 which is why they’re bringing key members of the old team back.

@GrizzlyB NISA tend to do good translations and Ys 8 was the exception, now a lot of the Trails fanbase says that if NISA localise anything they’re trash. Honestly at this point, with the old team helping NISA and the increased exposure, I’d say NISA getting it is a pretty good outcome. Honestly I’d say it’s ok to be wary but the people already insisting to “use the spreadsheet” and that “they treat <the fandom> like a joke” are overreacting when all we’ve heard is a pretty well-done line from Rean in the trailer. I’m personally incredibly excited because with the old team it’s going to be at the very least accurate to the previous games, and honestly I’m just glad I’ll be able to play in English.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
So who all here has had to deal with this negative cold weather? I'm glad the bulk of it only lasted 2 days for us. The wind chill was severe.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I have, a bit. Thankfully it wasn't as bad as some parts of the country. I don't envy those who had to deal with the worst of it.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
^^^ Hatsuu and Sean made their own statements to stop bashing NISA aimlessly and consensus among the fan community I’m in is that some are wary, but most are just happy a big localisation team is on it and we finally get western merch. NISA are very clearly trying to not replicate initial Ys 8 which is why they’re bringing key members of the old team back.

@GrizzlyB NISA tend to do good translations and Ys 8 was the exception, now a lot of the Trails fanbase says that if NISA localise anything they’re trash. Honestly at this point, with the old team helping NISA and the increased exposure, I’d say NISA getting it is a pretty good outcome. Honestly I’d say it’s ok to be wary but the people already insisting to “use the spreadsheet” and that “they treat <the fandom> like a joke” are overreacting when all we’ve heard is a pretty well-done line from Rean in the trailer. I’m personally incredibly excited because with the old team it’s going to be at the very least accurate to the previous games, and honestly I’m just glad I’ll be able to play in English.
No, NISA does terrible translations which why they lost all their big IPs like Neptunia, Atelier, Dangaronpa and more.

Also no one cares what Hatsuu thinks, she cried on twitter when they lost the rights to the series. Unprofessional

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
So who all here has had to deal with this negative cold weather? I'm glad the bulk of it only lasted 2 days for us. The wind chill was severe.

Perks of living in a desert: been a pretty warm winter when the last few-or-so years we had some wind chill even in the afternoon. Bit rainy, but whatever, we need that rain.
eb9.gif

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Perks of living in a desert: been a pretty warm winter when the last few-or-so years we had some wind chill even in the afternoon. Bit rainy, but whatever, we need that rain.
eb9.gif

I know on Thursday I would have happily moved to a desert lol. It was like -30 here! I have relatives that live in Arizona and they absolutely love it out there.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
Knowing nothing about DK 64 is the right thing. It's famous for being one of the worst older games to 100%

The new versions are open world games where no one but a few crazy and dedicated people 100% complete it, like later Assassin's Creed games.

I do remember hearing that its collect-a-thon puts the Banjo-Kazooie games to shame (which I didn't think were that bad, outside of some specific jiggies). Also, one of my friends had the extremely dope jungle green N64 that released with it.

I've been meaning to pick up Returns and Tropical Freeze since they came out, but I still haven't. I think Country 3 stands as the last DK game I've played (unless you count Diddy Kong Racing... man, that was a cool game).

other words

Like I said, I don't really know anything about it nor have my own opinion on the matter; it just came up on most of the discussions I saw about the announcement so it seemed relevant and that's why I brought it up. I'm honestly not even a little bit interested in following pre-release game news (for any game, ever), much less debating the relative merits of competing publishers. I have the game on pre-order, so it's certainly not like I'm boycotting it.

It got fairly cold here, into the teens (~NEGATIVE TEN FOR METRIC HEATHENS), but not that bad relatively speaking. It did snow, and then snow again right when the old stuff was almost melted, like three times, which was annoying. I love snow, but the transient population here are such dunderheads when it comes to driving in it, so I feel it presents a risk (even though I drive a manual AWD car, AND AM THEREFORE INVINCIBLE).

No, NISA does terrible translations which why they lost all their big IPs like Neptunia, Atelier, Dangaronpa and more.

Also no one cares what Hatsuu thinks, she cried on twitter when they lost the rights to the series. Unprofessional

I've played Atelier and Danganronpa games. I don't think about these things too carefully, but the one thing that I do remember noticing is that there were many scenes voiced in Japanese but silent in English. Obviously done to save money, but I can't contextualize it beyond that (i.e. how other companies do it).

Also, Jbizzle, I watched Kobayashi-san's Maid Dragon. There wasn't anything, like, egregiously bad about it, as far as being a slice-of-life with an irrelevant background quirk, going through the same arcs and having the same character templates and progressions that you'll see in any other random series with the same premise -- but, man, I don't know what it was, but watching that seriously drained me of my will to live. If I had to compare it to something, I'd say it was rather like watching Super Bowl LIII.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
It's not so much "translation" problems as localization problems. Can we get me doing some kind of Spongebob meme or something with the word "localization" here

Differences can be lost kind of easily, but I'll throw in two examples from my favorite game ever -- which is itself not immune to translation issues (its localization is fantastic 99% of the time and "localization quality" is subjective anyway -- although people who advocate for super literal translations hate fun and I hate them as a result).

LOCALIZATION:
trafficass.png

The panel on the left reads, roughly, "Welcome to the ass end of this traffic jam!" Setting aside content stuff for a moment, the big change is "the world's longest traffic jam," a phrase not even really alluded to in the original, added for some "local flavor."

TRANSLATION:
waruku.png

The line "I don't think you've ever really gotten into bad trouble" looks like crap and that should clue you in a little. The Japanese line better translates to "I would never do anything to displease you."

(Man, if Clyde Mandelin knew how much I talk about his stuff, he'd be demanding royalties.)

Anyway I mostly just wanted to come in here and say **** the Midwest winter, but then I saw a lot of this and like... the general tenor lately has been that NISA do bad localizations, not necessarily translations (but the quality on those is kind of... buried... by bad enough localizations, sometimes). tl;dr localization is kind of an underrated thing. But I guess people hear "localization," think of Ted Woolsey, and have spasms (even though I actually quite like Ted Woolsey's classic-era localizations, by and large, save a few bits in Super Mario RPG and Secret of Mana, so maybe I was dropped on my head as a child (mind, I actually don't like Secret of Mana anyway, so w/e on that one)).

Jb

Tsun in the streets
I do remember hearing that its collect-a-thon puts the Banjo-Kazooie games to shame (which I didn't think were that bad, outside of some specific jiggies). Also, one of my friends had the extremely dope jungle green N64 that released with it.

I've been meaning to pick up Returns and Tropical Freeze since they came out, but I still haven't. I think Country 3 stands as the last DK game I've played (unless you count Diddy Kong Racing... man, that was a cool game).

Like I said, I don't really know anything about it nor have my own opinion on the matter; it just came up on most of the discussions I saw about the announcement so it seemed relevant and that's why I brought it up. I'm honestly not even a little bit interested in following pre-release game news (for any game, ever), much less debating the relative merits of competing publishers. I have the game on pre-order, so it's certainly not like I'm boycotting it.

It got fairly cold here, into the teens (~NEGATIVE TEN FOR METRIC HEATHENS), but not that bad relatively speaking. It did snow, and then snow again right when the old stuff was almost melted, like three times, which was annoying. I love snow, but the transient population here are such dunderheads when it comes to driving in it, so I feel it presents a risk (even though I drive a manual AWD car, AND AM THEREFORE INVINCIBLE).

I've played Atelier and Danganronpa games. I don't think about these things too carefully, but the one thing that I do remember noticing is that there were many scenes voiced in Japanese but silent in English. Obviously done to save money, but I can't contextualize it beyond that (i.e. how other companies do it).

Also, Jbizzle, I watched Kobayashi-san's Maid Dragon. There wasn't anything, like, egregiously bad about it, as far as being a slice-of-life with an irrelevant background quirk, going through the same arcs and having the same character templates and progressions that you'll see in any other random series with the same premise -- but, man, I don't know what it was, but watching that seriously drained me of my will to live. If I had to compare it to something, I'd say it was rather like watching Super Bowl LIII.

Tohru is pure, Kanna must be protected, Lucoa is waifu

Zazie

So 1991
I feel like I may have missed out just a slight bit by not having a N64 (or Ps1). I mean I loved having a super nintendo and lot's of cheap games, but I missed out on quite a few cultural touchstones like Banjo Kazooie and DK64. And Crash Bandicoot, I played that first the first time last november after the person I was dating was shocked I had never played a Crash game before.

It's been a while since I posted here, long enough that my 10 year anniversary of being here is quite a bit past. Damn I am old, I was an adult when I started posting here.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I grew up with the N64, but I never owned DK64 or Banjo, the only Rareware game we owned was Diddy Kong Racing. I missed out on a lot of fan-favorites as well, most of them we didn't get for years like Kirby 64, Ocarina and Majora's Mask, and Mario Kart 64 (we had Double Dash for GameCube, though). But also because I only ever had Nintendo products (no SNES sadly), I missed out on other great titles from other consoles that all my other friends had and still talk about fondly.

I'm okay with it, though, since luckily the Internet allows me to look these titles up even though I'm well aware I would enjoy it better by forking over the money on Amazon or Ebay whenever they're affordable. Just too bad my local Half-Price was told by the law to stop selling secondhand games.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Ah, the good ole days. Back when I would come home from Elementary School, drink a bunch of Surge, and play N64. I miss those days so much.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
wait what

i'm like, really confident that there is nothing illegal about that whatsoever

From what I can recall, apparently it's similar to the lawsuit Nintendo had with Blockbuster way back in the day. I guess video game companies just really want their money and secondhand copies don't give them anything, even though Game Stop does it--but I guess they get a pass/got permission to do so or something. But the weird thing is that that particular Half-Price is in the one county in my state that passed a law about secondhand trade or something since none of the other Half-Price stores in the state had to get rid of their video games sections. It's weird and pretty stupid, no one was happy about it.