• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
That's insane. There's still stores around where I'm at that sell used games, apart from Game Stop. So they have a bit of competition.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
We have this really cool video game store called Disk Traders where I live. They sell retro games and newer gen games PS4/Xbone/Switch. I've actually built up my gaming collection thanks to Disk Traders. I recently purchased a good amount of Dreamcast games.

I remember Funcoland back in the day.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
We have this really cool video game store called Disk Traders where I live. They sell retro games and newer gen games PS4/Xbone/Switch. I've actually built up my gaming collection thanks to Disk Traders. I recently purchased a good amount of Dreamcast games.

I remember Funcoland back in the day.
Awesome. That's similar to how I've built up mine as well. Generally go through used stores, unless it's something that's too hard to find (for me it was Soul Reaver 2 -- had to go through Amazon for it).

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Used game stores are running into problems as things become more digital. GameStop has famously tried to get someone to buy it for a few years now with no takers.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Awesome. That's similar to how I've built up mine as well. Generally go through used stores, unless it's something that's too hard to find (for me it was Soul Reaver 2 -- had to go through Amazon for it).

Nice! I love game collecting! Yeah, some games I have to look for on Amazon or even Ebay lol.

Used game stores are running into problems as things become more digital. GameStop has famously tried to get someone to buy it for a few years now with no takers.

This is so true :/ I absolutely love having physical copies of games, but digital is such a big thing now. I still always go for physical copies first, but if there's a good deal on PSN/Xbox/Switch I sometimes will buy digital games.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member

Yea and that's frustrating. As having a game digitally is just having the license to it. Not a physical copy. It's why I prefer getting physical copies when I can game wise.

Nice! I love game collecting! Yeah, some games I have to look for on Amazon or even Ebay lol.

This is so true :/ I absolutely love having physical copies of games, but digital is such a big thing now. I still always go for physical copies first, but if there's a good deal on PSN/Xbox/Switch I sometimes will buy digital games.
Word. There's no way to replace that feeling of finding a copy of a game that you've been hunting for. Digital is ok enough, but it's a different animal in my opinion to actually having the game there physically.

That's me as well. I try to get games physically first, but if I'm not able to find a physical copy (either the game itself isn't being made as such in the region or I can't find a good used copy), I'll settle for a digital one. Had do to that for Sonic Generations. The copy I got before, had disc rot, so I had to return it and get my money back.

There are a couple of gaming stores around where I live, but very few have games I’m interested in (namely PSvita stuff) so I pretty much always use Amazon to buy games second-hand. I can’t use my Nintendo eShop for complicated reasons and I don’t have PSN yet so I can’t really buy digital except for PC anyway, but I still prefer physical copies anyway. And I gotta say, there’s no feeling quite like actually finding the game you want out in a shop - I found three of the six original Professor Layton games in three different stores second-hand, one I only ever visited once, and I found Persona 4 Golden for a quarter of the price in the gaming store I frequent the most - those were some of the most thrilling experiences I’ve ever had.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
The PS Vita is so underrated! It's such a shame that Sony neglected it. I love RPG games and the Vita is loaded with them. I haven't played my Vita in a while as I've mostly been playing my home consoles as of late. Persona 4 was the last Vita game that I beat. I need to beef up my Vita collection.

I bought another copy of Vandal Hearts at my local game store yesterday! It's a PlayStation 1 classic! It's one of my favorite tactical role playing games of all time. Another PlayStation 1 classic that I've been looking for is Azure of Dreams. For anyone that has never played Azure of Dreams make it your mission to play it. It's a fantastic game!

The PS Vita is so underrated! It's such a shame that Sony neglected it. I love RPG games and the Vita is loaded with them. I haven't played my Vita in a while as I've mostly been playing my home consoles as of late. Persona 4 was the last Vita game that I beat. I need to beef up my Vita collection.

I bought another copy of Vandal Hearts at my local game store yesterday! It's a PlayStation 1 classic! It's one of my favorite tactical role playing games of all time. Another PlayStation 1 classic that I've been looking for is Azure of Dreams. For anyone that has never played Azure of Dreams make it your mission to play it. It's a fantastic game!

If you want some good vita recommendations I can give a few that hopefully you haven’t already played so this isn’t pointless haha

Trails of Cold Steel - we’ve already talked about this one a lot in this thread so I’ll just say it’s a heckin gud JRPG
Gravity Rush - hella fun action-type game with awesome characters n graphics n gameplay hell yea
Final Fantasy X/X-2 - I couldn’t get into it because the random encounter screen crash freaked me out every time it happened but the story and characters were looking heckin awesome and the whole fandom loves it
Akiba’s Beat - we’ve also mentioned this one in the thread before, it’s got split opinions but I personally think it’s a flawed yet fun experience that’s worth its current cheap price on Amazon
Lost Dimension - it’s got a meh ending but the rest of this game is brilliant, it’s short but it gives a hell of an experience to the player
Danganronpa - pretty much THE game for the Vita, vv good I highly recommend, lots of murder mysteries
Exist Archive - actually haven’t played this one yet but it’s arriving soon and has a pretty awesome concept and the graphics look cool so yea

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
If you want some good vita recommendations I can give a few that hopefully you haven’t already played so this isn’t pointless haha

Trails of Cold Steel - we’ve already talked about this one a lot in this thread so I’ll just say it’s a heckin gud JRPG
Gravity Rush - hella fun action-type game with awesome characters n graphics n gameplay hell yea
Final Fantasy X/X-2 - I couldn’t get into it because the random encounter screen crash freaked me out every time it happened but the story and characters were looking heckin awesome and the whole fandom loves it
Akiba’s Beat - we’ve also mentioned this one in the thread before, it’s got split opinions but I personally think it’s a flawed yet fun experience that’s worth its current cheap price on Amazon
Lost Dimension - it’s got a meh ending but the rest of this game is brilliant, it’s short but it gives a hell of an experience to the player
Danganronpa - pretty much THE game for the Vita, vv good I highly recommend, lots of murder mysteries
Exist Archive - actually haven’t played this one yet but it’s arriving soon and has a pretty awesome concept and the graphics look cool so yea

I'll definitely look for these games that you mentioned! Thanks for the recommendations!

Our game store has a good supply of PSP and Vita games in stock hopefully I can find some of these games mentioned!

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
I feel like I may have missed out just a slight bit by not having a N64 (or Ps1). I mean I loved having a super nintendo and lot's of cheap games, but I missed out on quite a few cultural touchstones like Banjo Kazooie and DK64. And Crash Bandicoot, I played that first the first time last november after the person I was dating was shocked I had never played a Crash game before.

It's been a while since I posted here, long enough that my 10 year anniversary of being here is quite a bit past. Damn I am old, I was an adult when I started posting here.

Half of the reason I own an Xbox 360 was to play the Banjo-Kazooie games digitally (although I have them and an N64 somewhere, the control sticks on those things are pieces of crap -- especially since my little brother and his friends used to play Mario Party all the time). Literally the only other game I've played on it is Tales of Vesperia, which I now have on Switch (but haven't played). Incidentally, since that just re-released on systems that don't suck, I implore anyone who hasn't played it to buy it.

Ah, the good ole days. Back when I would come home from Elementary School, drink a bunch of Surge, and play N64. I miss those days so much.

Man, whatever happened to Surge? I feel like it's still around somewhere, just really hard to find. Seems strange to me that it wouldn't sell well enough to keep marketed.

I have a love-hate thing with GameStop. On one hand, I love that there's a large retail chain dedicated to just video games, but on the other hand, so many of their business practices are incomprehensible and shitty (especially gutting new games), so I avoid going there if I can help it; basically only if they've got a used game that is going for gouging rates on Amazon, etc.

Anywho, I've been watching way too much anime recently. I feel like I went through a lot of the good stuff early on when I started watching, because now it seems 50/50 whether a series is watchable or straight-up garbage. As an example of the latter, I watched this one that was about some middle-school edgelord who reads shitty 19th century poetry and whines about how dark his emotions are, who steals the gym shorts of the girl he fancies and has an existential crisis over it. I wish I were joking, or that at least this series was universally reviled, but plenty of people apparently think it's a masterpiece (and not just tryhard teenagers -- adults, too, if the ages on profiles I checked are to be believed). Not to mention it used rotoscoping, which is where they record everything with real actors, then draw over the footage to make crappy animation: the end result is that it looks like they made clay models of the actors and then bashed them in the face with a frying pan and used them like that.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
Half of the reason I own an Xbox 360 was to play the Banjo-Kazooie games digitally (although I have them and an N64 somewhere, the control sticks on those things are pieces of crap -- especially since my little brother and his friends used to play Mario Party all the time). Literally the only other game I've played on it is Tales of Vesperia, which I now have on Switch (but haven't played). Incidentally, since that just re-released on systems that don't suck, I implore anyone who hasn't played it to buy it.

Yeah Tales of Vesperia was an immediate buy for me. The Tales series is one of the only kinds of video games that I would still be interested in playing nowadays, mainly because skits appeal to me more than pretty much anything else.

Anywho, I've been watching way too much anime recently. I feel like I went through a lot of the good stuff early on when I started watching, because now it seems 50/50 whether a series is watchable or straight-up garbage. As an example of the latter, I watched this one that was about some middle-school edgelord who reads shitty 19th century poetry and whines about how dark his emotions are, who steals the gym shorts of the girl he fancies and has an existential crisis over it. I wish I were joking, or that at least this series was universally reviled, but plenty of people apparently think it's a masterpiece (and not just tryhard teenagers -- adults, too, if the ages on profiles I checked are to be believed). Not to mention it used rotoscoping, which is where they record everything with real actors, then draw over the footage to make crappy animation: the end result is that it looks like they made clay models of the actors and then bashed them in the face with a frying pan and used them like that.

Isn’t it that they think it’s a masterpiece because it’s bad? Like, a “so hilariously bad that it’s good” kind of thing?

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
The only X360 games I know of offhand that I want to play are Tales of Vesperia (because I've heard it's good) and Too Human (because I've heard it's bad).

also I think the anime GrizzlyB is referring to is Aku no Hana, which I could not keep up with because it felt like it was janked together from spare parts, although I appreciated its unique art style for being unique (not necessarily good, but a lot of other anime looks like ass anyway so w/e /shrug)

Zazie

So 1991
I haven't watched too much anime lately, but this weekend I was introduced to Hi Score Girl and I am kind of totally dweebing out on it. So many video game references. I have become what I hated, which is people who are way too amused by references to things.

Anime is blood

Like honestly even though at this point I have realized anime culture is pretty cringey, it's kind of started to have an ironic appeal for me. Being kind of trashy is kind of the vibe I have been feeling lately, whether it be weeb trash or edgy alt kid trash (like my avatar). I dunno, I guess there is a certain innocence in being unaware and unashamed of how over the top weird or Xtreme you're being, it kind of speaks to me.

I blame this on the estrogen pills.

Last edited:

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
Yeah Tales of Vesperia was an immediate buy for me. The Tales series is one of the only kinds of video games that I would still be interested in playing nowadays, mainly because skits appeal to me more than pretty much anything else.

Why is that? If it's because of the back-and-forth character interaction -- and I know I've said this to more than one person here -- Trails of Cold Steel could be up your alley. It doesn't have the voiced character cut-ins like Tales does, but a big part of the game's appeal to me is how much other characters are developed through dialogue and sidequests (both party characters and dozens of NPCs).

Isn’t it that they think it’s a masterpiece because it’s bad? Like, a “so hilariously bad that it’s good” kind of thing?

I... don't.... know. It's possible, I suppose, but I didn't really get that vibe from supporters, who seemed to mostly think that people hated it just because the animation was "different". It reminded me of Oyasumi Punpun, which is one of the highest-rated manga on MAL, because they're both about edgy children who sit around and whine about bad things that they bring on themselves (Oyasumi Punpun was much better, though).

Anime is blood

That's rich, coming from the man, who, all those years ago, made me watch One Piece. You realize, of course, that this is basically completely your fault? I demand restitution!

What anime have you watched so far Grizzlyb?

Probably easiest to post the link to my MAL list. I don't really think I can find only crap series now, but it is more likely that I'll accidentally watch one, and it's been a long time since I've seen one that I thought was amazing.

also I think the anime GrizzlyB is referring to is Aku no Hana, which I could not keep up with because it felt like it was janked together from spare parts, although I appreciated its unique art style for being unique (not necessarily good, but a lot of other anime looks like ass anyway so w/e /shrug)

It is indeed. I have an issue (in addition to my aforementioned one about watching too much anime in the first place), where if I start a story, I'm compelled to see how it turned out, even if I hate it. So, I read the manga as well (which was also ass, albeit not as bad). I guess the point of the series is a coming-of-age thing, but it's mostly the MC being a cunt in middle school, then a timeskip to high school where he's a depressive emo, then he decides to stop being a jackass and gets better at the end (touching stuff, really). On top of that banal and arbitrary plot, the anime decided that it needed psychological horror elements in its presentation, which is probably what you mean by spare parts. It's funny, because I thought the production did a lot of things well (soundtrack and atmosphere did create a strong thriller environment -- I thought people were going to get killed by an axe murderer at first), it's just that they pasted it over the story of a kid stealing gym shorts. Like, the episode after the only good scene in the anime (where they trash the classroom), 2/3rds of the full episode is spent watching the main characters walking through town in the middle of the night. It was a few panels in the manga, but at least 12 minutes of screentime (which I loved, because I could just fast forward through it) -- so their visions were mismatched from the start, imo

I haven't watched too much anime lately, but this weekend I was introduced to Hi Score Girl and I am kind of totally dweebing out on it. So many video game references. I have become what I hated, which is people who are way too amused by references to things.

I like references if they're unexpected. Like, I've always hated The Big Bang Theory because every episode I've watched is just overdone sitcom tropes repurposed to include science or geek references. But I recently watched an anime called The Going Home Club Chronicles or something; while it was pretty bad and similar the TBBT in that it leaned on references to other school-club gag series to drive its plot, it also had one skit that was a huge Yu-Gi-Oh! reference in the form of a word-chain game (right down to the sealed card used at the end of the last duel). I like ones like that, since they're obscure and unexpected, and they're not vague, so you either get them or you don't.

Like honestly even though at this point I have realized anime culture is pretty cringey, it's kind of started to have an ironic appeal for me. Being kind of trashy is kind of the vibe I have been feeling lately, whether it be weeb trash or edgy alt kid trash (like my avatar). I dunno, I guess there is a certain innocence in being unaware and unashamed of how over the top weird or Xtreme you're being, it kind of speaks to me.

I can kinda feel you on this. Not in exactly the same way, but it's kind of amusing watching people just doing what they want to do in their own way, even if I think it's stupid. There's a fascination in nonjudgmentally observing people whose values differ so much from yours.

So, anyway, here's an ethical dilemma. There's this guy at the place I work who, for the past month or two has been working a pretty brutal schedule. He usually comes in at about midnight, and leaves at about 4 in the afternoon, and works every single day of the week (though I dunno if he works the same hours on weekends, he at least goes in at midnight-ish). So, he essentially spends 8 hours of his day NOT at work. I had a chat with him one time when I failed to avoid him, and he told me where he lives -- it's at least half an hour from where we work (with no traffic, probably an hour+ with rush hour traffic), so he's spending, max, 6.5 to 7 hours a day at home. That's barely enough time for most people to sleep, so he sure as **** ain't doing anything besides working and sleeping (and probably not enough of the latter). I should point out, he's a relatively new employee in a position that doesn't have overly-high earning potential (I'd wager that at most, his salary is $20/hour, but probably lower). So, it's not like he's making bank working massive amounts of overtime, nor will the company fall apart if he drops dead tomorrow. And on that note, here's the dilemma: couldn't it be argued that the humane thing to do here would be to bludgeon his head in with a cinder block? I understand assisted suicide is a touchy subject because it's hard for a single person to determine whether their life is worth living anymore, but what about a scenario like this, where any rational observer can look in and say, "That person would be better off not alive."? I should also point out that this guy is in his mid-late 50s (or has aged very poorly), his neck is flappier than a turtle's, he has only a few wispy strands of hair left, and he has a lizard face.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
Why is that? If it's because of the back-and-forth character interaction -- and I know I've said this to more than one person here -- Trails of Cold Steel could be up your alley. It doesn't have the voiced character cut-ins like Tales does, but a big part of the game's appeal to me is how much other characters are developed through dialogue and sidequests (both party characters and dozens of NPCs).

The main reasons why I stick with Tales and certain other series is due to nostalgia, really, and/or how appealing I still find the games to be since I first played them. I grew up with Tales, my first game exposure being Symphonia, like with a lot of fans of the series. I really like the expressiveness and unique form of character-building that skits offer. I’ve also enjoyed the active battle systems that Tales typically has. Not that I’m against turn-based battling games, but I’ve just been feeling disinterested in that kind of gameplay recently. I did notice multiple mentions of Trails of Cold Steel on this forum. Although I saw that it’s turn-based, I would likely be willing to try it anyway since it’s highly recommended.

So, anyway, here's an ethical dilemma. There's this guy at the place I work who, for the past month or two has been working a pretty brutal schedule. He usually comes in at about midnight, and leaves at about 4 in the afternoon, and works every single day of the week (though I dunno if he works the same hours on weekends, he at least goes in at midnight-ish). So, he essentially spends 8 hours of his day NOT at work. I had a chat with him one time when I failed to avoid him, and he told me where he lives -- it's at least half an hour from where we work (with no traffic, probably an hour+ with rush hour traffic), so he's spending, max, 6.5 to 7 hours a day at home. That's barely enough time for most people to sleep, so he sure as **** ain't doing anything besides working and sleeping (and probably not enough of the latter). I should point out, he's a relatively new employee in a position that doesn't have overly-high earning potential (I'd wager that at most, his salary is $20/hour, but probably lower). So, it's not like he's making bank working massive amounts of overtime, nor will the company fall apart if he drops dead tomorrow. And on that note, here's the dilemma: couldn't it be argued that the humane thing to do here would be to bludgeon his head in with a cinder block? I understand assisted suicide is a touchy subject because it's hard for a single person to determine whether their life is worth living anymore, but what about a scenario like this, where any rational observer can look in and say, "That person would be better off not alive."? I should also point out that this guy is in his mid-late 50s (or has aged very poorly), his neck is flappier than a turtle's, he has only a few wispy strands of hair left, and he has a lizard face.

I don’t know if even a rational observer would be able to conclude that the person is so miserable in the first place. That sounds like a situation where you’d have to find out more about the person himself. Could he be a workaholic, or are there other specific reasons he has for working so long? It also depends on his schedule while at work. Does he take a lot of breaks to do other things like spend time with coworkers, takes naps, play games, etc?

Last edited: