• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
What is MSE? ****, too much tech talk that has confused my primitive brain and now I have no idea what should I get. I'm thinking about buying Norton if my mom can pay for it :p or I guess using one of the free ones that work for all of you (I see Avast being mentioned a lot)

Btw I get pop-up ads all the time but I just close them, even with Adblock. Is that weird?

Personally, I've used free virus protection my whole life and I've never had a problem, because I'm not an idiot and I don't click on ads or links if I don't know where they go, and I download things if I don't know where they came from. But Hydrohs is the tech guy, so I would honestly do what he says before anything else.

Yeah, I think that's pretty weird about the ads. Sketchy websites will have a lot of pop-up ads, but in general, the pop-up blocker on your browser should get rid of them. If I suddenly started getting a lot of pop-up ads, I'd be suspicious of a virus or malware on my computer. I haven't had a pop-up ad in years, but again, I don't go to the darker corners of the Internet. I also have Adblock Plus and Ghostery installed.

So, the last time I posted here was when I had a severe cold a few days ago, which has toned down a bit and when I come back, I find out this thread had been closed? Wow. Some serious spamming must have happened or something...

Anyway, I used to have so many ads popping up on my computer until I downloaded Adblock+ and it' sub locked almost every ad that appeared. I was sort of hoping it'd apply to YouTube videos, but alas.

I've been here for the past few days and the thread wasn't closed to my knowledge unless I somehow missed something....

Anyway, Adblock Plus gets rid of YouTube ads on Chrome and Firefox.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
my cpu's heatsink has stopped working. thanks coolermaster

edit: i should probably investigate further

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
i might just throw the stock one that came with the cpu on and see if that works, if not uh oh

also i need to clean it properly

I wish i could fast forward to Q4 of this year for some new games to play >.>

Ninfia-Fan

I've been here for the past few days and the thread wasn't closed to my knowledge unless I somehow missed something....

Really? In the first post, it says "Also, a warning: this is the 2nd time we've closed this thread due to spam." That must refer to a previous closure of this thread, then. Still, a few days ago, the thread was in chaos. But it was fun chaos.

Speaking of cleaning out computers, it's been ages since I last saw what needs to be cleaned, because life is too demanding.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
i wish i could fast forward to one month from now and then bring the contents of my bank account back in time until i have well over $100 million

let's be honest, this is what we would all do if we could time travel

i mean, yeah, there's a lot of **** you could do. kill hitler, meet someone really smart, but at the end of the day, the first thing we would do is acquire infinite money.

John Madden

resident policy guy
i'm probably the only person itt who can say they'd only do two things:

1) get just enough money to become ludicrously rich without causing more than 3% inflation
2) go to a point in the future where i can grow new kidneys and new inner ears

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
as much as i want to be like "i would just take my twenty bucks into the past and buy a bunch of old stuff," they probably would not recognize newer-design bills and coins as legal tender.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
i wish i could fast forward to one month from now and then bring the contents of my bank account back in time until i have well over $100 million

Time Travel is travelling through the space-time continuum. Use it several times, and you'll cause a rift. Might as well put all your money into your bank account, then travel a thousand years and re-open your bank account, like Phillip J. Fry did. Living in the future won't be so bad, except for the unknown dialect and language and extraterrestrials now living alongside humans and whatnot. Or you can just go back in time, have your parents or grandparents invest all their money on Apple, and get billions today. It doesn't guarantee that that Apple will become the same Apple today though, as you've created a different timeline where anything can happen.

Since we're talking about something as wild as time travel, the recent data from teleportation seems cool. I thought they just deleted your atoms and molecules, and simply gathered identical atoms and molecules around the designated place to duplicate an exact copy of you, but now they're able to move and retain atoms across 3 meters. 3m isn't exactly worthy of Star Trek level teleportation, but it's progress. And they're also able to transfer data, so they could also transfer data from your brain. If an accident happens, and your original body died, at least your brain will be copied so that your fake copy will think it's the real deal.

John Madden

resident policy guy
Time Travel is travelling through the space-time continuum. Use it several times, and you'll cause a rift.

i'll open a rift directly over your posts

as much as i want to be like "i would just take my twenty bucks into the past and buy a bunch of old stuff," they probably would not recognize newer-design bills and coins as legal tender.

well, in my case i'd be going back to earlier in the same year to avoid that exact problem.

(and then spending all of my money emigrating to a different country)

Last edited:

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
let's be honest, this is what we would all do if we could time travel

i mean, yeah, there's a lot of **** you could do. kill hitler, meet someone really smart, but at the end of the day, the first thing we would do is acquire infinite money.

Man why would you wanna kill Hitler? He's a cool guy, he killed Hitler.

KillerDraco

Man why would you wanna kill Hitler? He's a cool guy, he killed Hitler.

I see what you did there. But even if you did it, timing is important.

That said, time travel in general causes its own set of problems, since you never know what will change in the future based on what you alter in the past. Unintended consequences and all.

Arn

That said, time travel in general causes its own set of problems, since you never know what will change in the future based on what you alter in the past. Unintended consequences and all.

Like dinosaurs walks the earth again?
I kidd, would be cool though

Ryuken

Steel User
Like dinosaurs walks the earth again?
I kidd, would be cool though

I don't think human life would have developed the way it did if dinosaurs existed on the same time period.

Then again they are only vile inventions of satan, so i guess it wouldn't have mattered anyway.