• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

Ryuken

Steel User
Scientology? It's a cult. In fact, it's a rather dangerous cult. They believe some crazy beliefs, but who am I to judge? But then they go on hacking the U.S. government to delete negative things about them.

When you start thinking about it, most "religions" have dangerous beliefs.
It's interesting to know that if it wasn't for a christian god, we would all go into murderous killing sprees across the globe just for the sake of doing so.

Also, bananas.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
what's the difference between religions and cults

besides one being totes cool and off-limits and the other being laughable and an acceptable target

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Scientology? It's a cult. In fact, it's a rather dangerous cult. They believe some crazy beliefs, but who am I to judge? But then they go on hacking the U.S. government to delete negative things about them.
Yeah, it is a dangerous cult, but as much as it is a cult, I find their religious principle to be rather choppy.

I'm not the epitome of a religious person, but usually there is some philosophy about the creation of being. Scientology basically starts of with Xenu ruling the universe that was already fleshed out. I know that Confucianism does not have an origin hypothesis, exactly, but it that's because it is a religion in just some since of the term. Scientology seems to me that it wants to guise itself as a full-blooded religion, but I find it hard to call it a "religion", per se.

Speaking of which, has anybody heard of L. Ron Hubburd's great-grandson speaking against the church.

shadow wolf

The one and only!
Supposedly if Christianity didn't exist we'd be one thousand years in the future. YAY DARK AGES!!!

I raise your bananas, and offer tangelos instead.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

besides one being totes cool and off-limits and the other being laughable and an acceptable target

I had a friend try to explain this to me years ago, though the only thing I remember is that cults are young, developing groups, and it takes like about 200 years or something for it to be recognized as a religion. I don't think that's the right definition, though. Far as I see it, religions all stem from similar beliefs that branched off into separate routes sometime down the road. *shrugs*

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Again, I'm not a religious person. I believe that religion can cause delusion, but it's really what you make of it.

Religion can cause people to do both good things and bad things.

Also, not many religions can compare to how ridiculous Scientology beliefs get.

shadow wolf

The one and only!
I had a friend try to explain this to me years ago, though the only thing I remember is that cults are young, developing groups, and it takes like about 200 years or something for it to be recognized as a religion. I don't think that's the right definition, though. Far as I see it, religions all stem from similar beliefs that branched off into separate routes sometime down the road. *shrugs*

Pretty much, Religion is old, a cult is new. Religion usually has a god(s), a spiritual book, principles to live by, and a religious leader hierarchy. While a cult is a new spiritual movement and different teaching to established religion. That's what my quick research showed me.

EDIT:
Again, I'm not a religious person. I believe that religion can cause delusion, but it's really what you make of it.

Religion can cause people to do both good things and bad things.

Also, not many religions can compare to how ridiculous Scientology beliefs get.

Moral of the story, people are the root of all evil. Since they are capable of great good and great evil. GO FREE WILL!!!

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Pretty much, Religion is old, a cult is new. Religion usually has a god(s), a spiritual book, principles to live by, and a religious leader hierarchy. While a cult is a new spiritual movement and different teaching to established religion. That's what my quick research showed me.
There is the principle of Voodoo, a cult mix of Christian and tribal African beliefs.

Religion (and heck, even some cults) are a mixture of different ideas. Origin hypothesis, moral code, philosophy, history, etc.

shadow wolf

The one and only!
There is the principle of Voodoo, a cult mix of Christian and tribal African beliefs.

Religion (and heck, even some cults) are a mixture of different ideas. Origin hypothesis, moral code, philosophy, history, etc.

This is also true, and this is easily found in fictional work. Fact is people will pick and choose whatever makes the most sense to them. Funny enough, that's my religion, I come to my own conclusions, about what I perceive to be most likely the truth.

Zazie

So 1991

Nothing other then what you just said above.

People can label whatever they religion they don't like a cult. Usually only works when it's not very popular. (some people call the LDS a cult for example)

I mean some beliefs and practices are kind of bad, but I don't think think that makes and legitimate difference to the classification.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
From what I understand LDS weren't treated that differently from Scientologists when that first came around.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I don't really have much of a problem with Mormons. Jehovah's Witnesses and those kind of Baptist churches (not all Baptists, but not just Westboro) can rub me the wrong way.

One time, I got a pamphlet saying that anybody that worship the trinity would burn in hell. It talked about a dragon spitting frogs out, which sounds quite awesome.

Then there is that Baptist Temple, that stupid crazy house complete with a sunburned pastor preaching at an intersection in the middle of August.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
It's hard to call it a "religion". Who the heck were Xenu's parents?

Technically, L. Ron Hubbard, if you're possessed of a certain type of really strange thinking.

From what I understand LDS weren't treated that differently from Scientologists when that first came around.

Actually, I dare say the Mormons were treated even more shittily in their early history. I can't say I know of there existing any state executive order authorizing killing Scientologists or driving them out of the state if such were "necessary for the public peace."

Last edited:

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Speaking of Mormons and Scientology, the South Parks episodes were great. I recommend them.

shadow wolf

The one and only!
Speaking of Mormons and Scientology, the South Parks episodes were great. I recommend them.

They were, I also recommend the Broadway play The Book of Mormon also by the creators of South Park.

Mister_SGG

Lol I was walking around the neighbourhood with some friends and some guy ran past us naked and screaming at the top of his lungs

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

Back when South Park was still on FOX (for the short while it was), I had gone downstairs one night to find my mom actually watching the "All About Mormons" episode. She had been channel-surfing and happened upon it, and so we just sat there watching it. It was honestly very weird.

I'll be honest in that if the humor wasn't very crude, I'd probably watch South Park for its satirical nature. I have no idea how it managed to get approved of for the FOX network for a couple of years, though apparently it was censored. So I dunno. I don't watch a lot of Western adult cartoons anyway (besides lack of cable), King of the Hill is the only one I really like.

Lol I was walking around the neighbourhood with some friends and some guy ran past us naked and screaming at the top of his lungs

Woooooooow.

shadow wolf

The one and only!

Did you enjoy it?

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
My reaction was more along the lines of on the pavement crying in laughter

I figured. It's not every day some hairy naked guy runs down the street screaming.

I mean it was funny but it was still a naked hairy dude so it was pretty gross too

If I were to ever see such a thing, I would have it wiped from my mind, or at least blurry in some areas. That's what happened when my then-14-year-old brother walked out into the kitchen before he took a shower.