• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Oh wow, there's actually some activity in this thread lol. I was starting to think the thread title should get changed to General Dead Thread.

TheDragonKing

King of dragons
Since when has misc been busy anyway? Most of the discussion is in the GPD and anime sections, and even then not much goes on there.

The poor, miserable denizens of Misc, their community a shadow of its formerself, longing for the days that once were. Eternal prisoners of nostalgias vice grip.

Last edited:

Zazie

So 1991
The poor, miserable denizens of Misc, their community a shadow of its formerself, longing for the days that once were. Eternal prisoners of nostalgias vice grip.

I don't even post here out of nostalgia really, more out of inertia.

I am in need of something to scratch that forum itch. I post on another forum that is still really active, but it's not enough and doesn't really give the experience I am looking for. Not enough animes and video games.

Forums have that thing where you are divorced from your real identity, but aren't anonymous either. It's a good middle ground for having more developed discussions because of it. If your really into certain things, or just like nonsense, you don't have to have a ton of real life friends who are also into it, or risk getting too close to strangers. But you still have an identity and history so it lets you keep a sense of continuity where everything isn't in a state of perpetual rehash.

You know, "the medium is the message", Marshall McLuhan type of stuff.

If that makes any sense.

Last edited:
It had a good life, but should be humanely put down. It's only the right thing, Serebii.

I also see what you're saying Zazie. I was probably referring to myself more than anything. I've been here a lot longer than my join date would let on, and there's something about these silly forums that I just don't want to let go. I remember what you describe in 2008 pretty vividly. There was definitely a lot of superiority complexes back then that shaped the atmosphere of Misc. in interesting ways. My perception was that Misc. was the place where members had more leniency to cut up and joke with one another, more so than other forums. The culture was all about being funny and who could do the best at not taking themselves so seriously. Unfortunately, since not everyone finds eachother particularly funny, there was this palpable clash between established members who were more or less liked pretty well, or at the very least within their social circles, and "tryhards." Lots of new members would come into the section and immediately pick up on the atmosphere, thinking they could joke and have a good time with everyone else just to get shunned almost immediately.

I miss and don't miss it. I miss how playfully moderators used to act with members, but there were also times where they could be exceedingly cruel to people that were just trying to fit in and be part of the community. It seems like most people, including myself, have mellowed out a lot too. I'm not sure if I would trade the inactivity today for the large egos that were common place back then. Part of that might be because in 2008 and earlier a lot of us were teenagers, who were raging with hormones and thinking we had something to prove to the world. I don't know. I joined in 2006, and even then people were saying that I got on the train too late and the real glory days were 2004 to 2005. I don't know whether it was actually better, or whether people just like to romanticize events in which they were present since the very beginning. At any rate, despite the inactivity, I do appreciate how chill most people here seem to be now.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I miss forum discussions, but I think Tumblr long ago murdered online communication and is currently rolling up the body in a rug.

And then ORAS came out

nothing but trash. someone find my pkmn x pls

Remember when everyone was trashing XY when they came out?

I wish very badly that Nintendo actually patched the new megas and **** into XY. I would have sold ORAS instead of those.

Rezzo

Occasionally
They probably won't bother at this point since it's an incentive to get people to buy both editions. Well, until Z comes out anyway, which might introduce yet more megas that aren't compatible with XY and ORAS

It had a good life, but should be humanely put down. It's only the right thing, Serebii.

I also see what you're saying Zazie. I was probably referring to myself more than anything. I've been here a lot longer than my join date would let on, and there's something about these silly forums that I just don't want to let go. I remember what you describe in 2008 pretty vividly. There was definitely a lot of superiority complexes back then that shaped the atmosphere of Misc. in interesting ways. My perception was that Misc. was the place where members had more leniency to cut up and joke with one another, more so than other forums. The culture was all about being funny and who could do the best at not taking themselves so seriously. Unfortunately, since not everyone finds eachother particularly funny, there was this palpable clash between established members who were more or less liked pretty well, or at the very least within their social circles, and "tryhards." Lots of new members would come into the section and immediately pick up on the atmosphere, thinking they could joke and have a good time with everyone else just to get shunned almost immediately.

I miss and don't miss it. I miss how playfully moderators used to act with members, but there were also times where they could be exceedingly cruel to people that were just trying to fit in and be part of the community. It seems like most people, including myself, have mellowed out a lot too. I'm not sure if I would trade the inactivity today for the large egos that were common place back then. Part of that might be because in 2008 and earlier a lot of us were teenagers, who were raging with hormones and thinking we had something to prove to the world. I don't know. I joined in 2006, and even then people were saying that I got on the train too late and the real glory days were 2004 to 2005. I don't know whether it was actually better, or whether people just like to romanticize events in which they were present since the very beginning. At any rate, despite the inactivity, I do appreciate how chill most people here seem to be now.

This is a good post. I might or might not speak for several non-posters when I say this, but I know (well, knew) most of you ****ers better than you would expect someone you've barely interacted with to. And that might go for quite a few of the quieter members of the subforums just as much as it did for me. There was a time on this forum in which people put their pride and their razor sharp wit above things they should not have.

Last edited:

Jb

Tsun in the streets
I miss forum discussions, but I think Tumblr long ago murdered online communication and is currently rolling up the body in a rug.

I stopped using Tumblr when I got called a cisgender white male for being anti-video game cencorship

I now use gamefaqs which isn't much better but I've won prizes like a new game and a 20$ psn code so it's a small step above

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
I stopped using Tumblr when I got called a cisgender white male for being anti-video game cencorship

I now use gamefaqs which isn't much better but I've won prizes like a new game and a 20$ psn code so it's a small step above

chek ur privelege

gamefaqs is dumb af. was trying to find out how to get baton pass on shedinja and the first thing i read was "baton pass is trash on shedinja"

yeah nice answer baddie

can we go back in time when gender actually meant what it says on the dictionary. h8 talking to retarded lgbt kids who think they can go around changing definitions and creating over 50 imaginary genders and trash talking you for saying they are wrong

sigh

edit: nvm it was neoseeker. sry gamefaqs

still bad tho

Last edited:

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Because I don't feel like getting into gender politics at 8:30 in the morning: GameFAQs has decent guides (sometimes) but the community is ****ing garbage.

Zazie

So 1991

Tumblr isn't even good for discussion. Or being some kind of social hangout site like people try to treat it like.

It's best at mixed media content sharing. (like instagram, twitter and soundcloud mashed up) "Aesthetic blogs" being a good example on how to make good use of tumblr. (whether you like the content is a different story but it's good use)

Of course now tumblr has leaked into facebook now, which also has similar problems. I don't mind having aesthetic stuff poured into my feed, that's cool and all, but I certainly don't want stupid pages like "best of tumblr"* and whatever the stupid anti-tumblr one is.

*more like worst of tumblr really because it's just a bunch of cliches and bad jokes.
---

I do find gamefaqs really useful for both faqs and user reviews. (which are much more useful than professional ones). I hate the forums though, they aren't very good.

I don't miss the hostility so much, more of a irreverent attitude.

Last edited:

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I liked using GameFaQs for guides and that was it. The community is **** over there so I avoided it like the plague. This is honestly the only forum I use anymore. This community has grown on me over the years. I started using the forums in 2012, but I was a lurker for many years before that.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin

honestly even as a mod i hated misc in ~2008. the massive egos and superiority complexes are annoying as **** even when you're on the "same side." and really a lot of the "veterans" werent even actually funnier than the newbies who got ripped into, they just had people backing them up. it also went over the line way too much (see: things like the "roasting" threads and a lot of other unfunny mean-spirited jokes) and it had the same problem that reddit and a lot of other sites that skew teenager-y have, once one person does something funny EVERYONE tries to copy them and runs it into the ground.

and yeah a lot of it was definitely because we were teenagers. when you dont have as many real responsibilities and you have more free time to spend here, it gets way easier to get sucked in. whereas now most of us have jobs, a house/apartment/whatever to take care of, etc.

as for the romanticizing thing, i dunno. i started lurking in 2004 and it could just be because i was really young and didnt know much better, but i think ~2004-2006 had a really nice balance of being still active but not as mean-spirited as late-2000s misc. the internet as a whole i think was much less hostile, or at least the hostile parts were hidden better instead of bubbling up at every opportunity.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
NeoGAF is a good gaming and anime forum. Too bad they require a paid or work email to let you join, but whatevs. I'll just stalk the forum for eternity, even after I become a ghost who spills ketchup on your kitchen walls.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
NeoGAF is a good gaming and anime forum. Too bad they require a paid or work email to let you join, but whatevs. I'll just stalk the forum for eternity, even after I become a ghost who spills ketchup on your kitchen walls.

I don't use it much but I got an account. Most internet providers give you a email when you start service. You could that to join

I haven't used GameFAQs in years but it sounds like it's still just as terrible as ever.

honestly even as a mod i hated misc in ~2008. the massive egos and superiority complexes are annoying as **** even when you're on the "same side." and really a lot of the "veterans" werent even actually funnier than the newbies who got ripped into, they just had people backing them up. it also went over the line way too much (see: things like the "roasting" threads and a lot of other unfunny mean-spirited jokes) and it had the same problem that reddit and a lot of other sites that skew teenager-y have, once one person does something funny EVERYONE tries to copy them and runs it into the ground.

and yeah a lot of it was definitely because we were teenagers. when you dont have as many real responsibilities and you have more free time to spend here, it gets way easier to get sucked in. whereas now most of us have jobs, a house/apartment/whatever to take care of, etc.

as for the romanticizing thing, i dunno. i started lurking in 2004 and it could just be because i was really young and didnt know much better, but i think ~2004-2006 had a really nice balance of being still active but not as mean-spirited as late-2000s misc. the internet as a whole i think was much less hostile, or at least the hostile parts were hidden better instead of bubbling up at every opportunity.

But, I swear I've seen you joining in from time to time. D: Well not in the roasting threads because I never read them, but in the GCT yeah.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
yeah uh if you think what i have posted is even remotely close to how past staff (and many users too, a lot of it was not even staff) have acted you must not have been paying much attention to misc ~5-7 years ago. sometimes people who are making trouble need to be told off. they just don't need to be mercilessly piled on by multiple people and run out for things other people are praised for.