• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

SilverChiko

Protect The Smiles!
Yeah, happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it, hopefully you all have a good one and don't drink-drive.

Also, I feel like we need a HDN club on Serebii, I think we'd easily have enough members.

And, hi.

Happy Thanksgiving. I personally celebrated with my family like most good Americans by menacingly cackling over the turkey and drinking the blood of the natives.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
So is it worth getting the new Nintendo 3DS XL? I have an Amazon gift card with about $83 left, so I can get a slightly used version for under 100.

That's a nice deal. I would take it but I wish i could have a regular sized new3ds. Fits in my pocket nicely

TheDragonKing

King of dragons
I've also been considering getting a New3DS, mainly because my og 3DS is a little out of shape (circle pad rubber is missing, L button no longer responds, etc). Is it really worth the hassle of upgrading? Or should I hold out for the 3DS's successor, whenever that may come?

Zora

perpetually tired
I've also been considering getting a New3DS, mainly because my og 3DS is a little out of shape (circle pad rubber is missing, L button no longer responds, etc). Is it really worth the hassle of upgrading? Or should I hold out for the 3DS's successor, whenever that may come?

I got a New 3DS when I graduated last May, but mostly to upgrade from a regular to an XL 3DS. The new bells and whistles of the N3DS are few and far between. You do get the C-stick pad thing that allows you to control camera, which is nice for games that recognize it. There's built in amiibo functionality, but you might as well just get the cheaper $30 extension if you care that much about HHD or Smash 3DS amiibo support. The camera tracking does make 3D much better most of the time (when it fails to recognize your face though, it gets pretty bad for a few seconds), but at this point I don't bother with 3D. You also will need a new micro SD card, and a screwdriver because oh god is putting that thing in a pain.

If you haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles, that's a major plus. Xenoblade Chronicles is a great game, and while the Wii version is probably the definitive version by a noticeable margin, if you're not wanting to spend money for the Wii version then the N3DS is the way to go.

Overall, if you the cards line up right and there's lots of little bells and whistles you need (e.g. you need amiibo support, you want Xenoblade, you want better 3D), then it might be worth it. But otherwise, eh, there's not much reason to recommend it over the regular 3DS.

TheDragonKing

King of dragons
I got a New 3DS when I graduated last May, but mostly to upgrade from a regular to an XL 3DS. The new bells and whistles of the N3DS are few and far between. You do get the C-stick pad thing that allows you to control camera, which is nice for games that recognize it. There's built in amiibo functionality, but you might as well just get the cheaper $30 extension if you care that much about HHD or Smash 3DS amiibo support. The camera tracking does make 3D much better most of the time (when it fails to recognize your face though, it gets pretty bad for a few seconds), but at this point I don't bother with 3D. You also will need a new micro SD card, and a screwdriver because oh god is putting that thing in a pain.

If you haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles, that's a major plus. Xenoblade Chronicles is a great game, and while the Wii version is probably the definitive version by a noticeable margin, if you're not wanting to spend money for the Wii version then the N3DS is the way to go.

Overall, if you the cards line up right and there's lots of little bells and whistles you need (e.g. you need amiibo support, you want Xenoblade, you want better 3D), then it might be worth it. But otherwise, eh, there's not much reason to recommend it over the regular 3DS.

It's probably not worth the hassle for me then honestly. I've already played Xenoblade on the Wii, and I don't use my amiibo that often, so I think I'll pass. Thanks anyway.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
Smash splat bundle for 280 dollars at bestbuy and i want, but im poor af and gotta save money for christmas gifts

nx is also coming eventually, and im scared the wii u will become redundant

Do you guys like getting physical copies of games more or downloading them? I almost always get a physical copy of games, but now i am thinking about downloading them instead, and wanted to get people's opinions about it.

Bananarama

The light is coming
Do you guys like getting physical copies of games more or downloading them? I almost always get a physical copy of games, but now i am thinking about downloading them instead, and wanted to get people's opinions about it.

I don't think I've ever downloaded a copy of a game. I always just get physical copies, but that's just me.

Zora

perpetually tired

Console: Generally prefer physical.
Handheld: Generally prefer digital.

most handheld games are "pick up and play," so they're the type of thing I'd like to switch over to on a whim. For a console, it takes nothing more than getting up and swapping a disc. For a handheld, it means remembering to take games with you which is often times a hassle.

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master

most handheld games are "pick up and play," so they're the type of thing I'd like to switch over to on a whim. For a console, it takes nothing more than getting up and swapping a disc. For a handheld, it means remembering to take games with you which is often times a hassle.

In relation to what everyone's saying. I like having the feeling of the physical game being picked up at the store and the possibility of using it on a future console/handheld. However, having it digitally downloaded it's harder to lose the game and lose say $60.00. It's still a fairly new idea to me since I've only done the downloads a few times. Definitely, I do not have to worry any body losing them if they're downloaded. Plus, I don't need a spot to put those little cartridges. Now, if only I had a super duty DS case than we would be all set.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor

This is how I prefer to go.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
I lost my pokemon x so i prefer digital now. Having many games already installed on the ds more practical than carrying them around

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Also, I feel like we need a HDN club on Serebii, I think we'd easily have enough members.
Noire best girl

Smash splat bundle for 280 dollars at bestbuy and i want, but im poor af and gotta save money for christmas gifts

nx is also coming eventually, and im scared the wii u will become redundant

Terrible deal. Games are digital. Makes that a no go.

However, having it digitally downloaded it's harder to lose the game and lose say $60.00.
No it isn't. Not only are digital handheld games more expensive, with Nintendo's terrible account system, if you lose or system or get it repaired or whatever, you need to go through the hassle of calling them back and reconfirming that you are actually you.

Last edited:

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I'm fine with either digital or retail. Is Nintendo's account system finally up-to-par with today's standards? Can I have the same account on multiple Wii Us/3DSs and share my games? Until then, I'll never buy digital Nintendo games ever again unless they're heavily discounted.

Black Friday shopping is basically over now. What did everyone pick up? I just shopped on Amazon since I didn't want to go out and compete with crazy shoppers. Only thing I got was the complete Adam West Batman collection Limited Edition Bluray for $100, and a couple Barbie toys for my baby sister for $36. I managed to get Batman Arkham Knight Premium Edition for $16, but that was Amazon's pricing error, not a BF sale. I think I'll buy a few of the games on PSN's Flash Sale, and then that would be it for me. For my first ever Black Friday where I actually had some money, this was great.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
I'm fine with either digital or retail. Is Nintendo's account system finally up-to-par with today's standards? Can I have the same account on multiple Wii Us/3DSs and share my games? Until then, I'll never buy digital Nintendo games ever again unless they're heavily discounted.
yeah this is the biggest issue i have with digital games. i have 2 3ds's (one new one old), plus my little brother has one, and it's incredibly stupid that i would have to buy a game multiple times in order to be able to use it on all of them. i dont see why they cant just make a limit of say 3-5 devices per game and if you run out, you have to delete it from one system before you can use it on another one.

and while this isnt exclusive to nintendo, i never really liked the fact that you don't truly own the game if it's digital. if they ban your account you can lose access to it, and while i rarely do this you also can't resell the game. it seemed like there were going to be discounts to offset that when people were first talking about digital, but aside from rare sales (which still often don't beat retail) that rarely happens. digital can certainly be more convenient in terms of not carrying around a bunch of stuff, but until they fix the account system and decrease the price accordingly, i will want physical.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
I only have one DS so idrc about having the game on multiple devices. I believe the game is linked to your account, so if you log in to your nnid on another ds you can redownload the game. Of course the save data will be gone.