• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
I'm on vacation from work this week, so objectively I should be being super productive today and cleaning and running errands and stuff, but so far I have eaten leftover cheese fries and watched Orphan Black in bed all day. People of SPPF, be more productive than me.

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
I'm on vacation from work this week, so objectively I should be being super productive today and cleaning and running errands and stuff, but so far I have eaten leftover cheese fries and watched Orphan Black in bed all day. People of SPPF, be more productive than me.

I was off work for like five days and went on a camping/fishing trip and managed to mess up my already injured knee on the last day. So I've done nothing but watch stand-up comedians on Netflix and make Spotify playlists all day while hoping my knee will make it through my shifts the next three days. Do I need to clean my house? Yes. Should I have done laundry? Sure. Did I do any of that? Nah.

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
I was off work for like five days and went on a camping/fishing trip and managed to mess up my already injured knee on the last day. So I've done nothing but watch stand-up comedians on Netflix and make Spotify playlists all day while hoping my knee will make it through my shifts the next three days. Do I need to clean my house? Yes. Should I have done laundry? Sure. Did I do any of that? Nah.
Do you work on your feet? If so, that sucks! I hope you get better soon!

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
Do you work on your feet? If so, that sucks! I hope you get better soon!

I'm a nurse, so yeah. But gotta pay the bills so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
But it's getting better slowly. The first day I couldn't even walk on it and I can actually put some weight on it now. It'll be fine eventually. Just gotta start wearing my brace again, I guess.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
It seems like every tutorial on YouTube starts with an awful After Effects template that blows your eardrums out followed by a 12 year old mumbling directions....

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
It was for a Human Factors class for my Neurology program, and it was about making first generation college students more successful.
I'm a nurse, so yeah. But gotta pay the bills so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Med majors, aaaahhhhh!

In all seriousness though, before I became a grad student, 80% of my fellow classmates wanted to become medical professional. When ever I asked what they did for fun, they would say something like, "I just study all the time". Those particular med students sort of drove me nuts. Not to mention that I wasn't particularly good in doctor subjects in Biology. When I became a grad student, there were still people who wanted to become doctors or whatnot, but they didn't take themselves egregiously seriously.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
It seems like every tutorial on YouTube starts with an awful After Effects template that blows your eardrums out followed by a 12 year old mumbling directions....

Doesn't exactly sound wrong.

I'm finally giving the newest Iron Maiden album a listen and I'm surprised at how good it is since their last one sucked. Metal thread hasn't been posted in in several months and nobody there gives a rat's *** about something so, uh, bush-league I guess, so you guys get subjected to me talking about it.

Look, posting this beats the hell out of writing another goddamn paper about Kant. (Actually this current one is for the philosophy of art class, so I get to write about some of the Fluxus group's art, which is actually cool.)

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member

I'm finally giving the newest Iron Maiden album a listen and I'm surprised at how good it is since their last one sucked. Metal thread hasn't been posted in in several months and nobody there gives a rat's *** about something so, uh, bush-league I guess, so you guys get subjected to me talking about it.

Look, posting this beats the hell out of writing another goddamn paper about Kant. (Actually this current one is for the philosophy of art class, so I get to write about some of the Fluxus group's art, which is actually cool.)

Sweet, a fellow metalhead! Their last album was terrible. I still have to give their new album a listen, though. Wow, I forgot there was even a metal thread....so many threads just die out in misc it's sad to see....

I love reading Yahoo comments. Some of these questions and answers are too damn priceless.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Sweet, a fellow metalhead! Their last album was terrible. I still have to give their new album a listen, though. Wow, I forgot there was even a metal thread....so many threads just die out in misc it's sad to see....

The thread could get a little hipster-y at times about needing to discover The New Obscure Thing.

Yes, The Final Frontier was really bad. I liked the intro to the first song and that was about it. The Book of Souls is way better, though. Not one of the >10min songs is bad -- could maybe stand some trimming but that's it -- and "Speed of Light" is probably the best song I've heard from them in a few albums. Worth picking up.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
The thread could get a little hipster-y at times about needing to discover The New Obscure Thing.

Yes, The Final Frontier was really bad. I liked the intro to the first song and that was about it. The Book of Souls is way better, though. Not one of the >10min songs is bad -- could maybe stand some trimming but that's it -- and "Speed of Light" is probably the best song I've heard from them in a few albums. Worth picking up.

The intro to Satellite 15... The Final Frontier was nice, but other than that I didn't enjoy the other tracks. I'll definitely check out The Book of Souls. When it comes to metal I listen to all kinds of metal. Heavy metal, thrash metal, metalcore, power metal, I have too many favorites.

Last night I went back and revisited one of my favorite metal albums of all time. That album would be Reign in Blood - Slayer. That album is a thrash metal masterpiece.

TheDragonKing

King of dragons
Anybody else having the feeling that 2016 is going by really fast? Like, super fast. Christmas feels like it was just a week or so ago, but it was just over four months ago!

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
Welcome to getting old

That is so true. 25 FLEW by; and I had a lot of major life changes (end of a long term relationship, moved, new job.) Even with all that it felt short.

Unrelated: you know your Tindr date is good when you go to his place and see X, Omega Ruby, AND Pokken. Let no one say all the men on there suck.

Last edited:

Zazie

So 1991

Speaking of metal, there is a really attractive cook at my job. When it's closing time, she takes off her cook uniform to reveal a Burzum t-shirt. Now I have never heard Burzum and have no interest in doing so, because you know Varg Vikernes is a neo-nazi or whatever. But I talked to her about it, we briefly talked about metal a bit, she mentioned Agalloch and Sonata Arctica. I decided to give Agalloch a try, and what do you know, they are actually pretty good, why did I never give them a listen to before?

I mentioned Demilich to her, but I am not sure if she would be curious to give them a listen. I did sell the band as "the vocalist pretty much just sounds like they are burping", so. . .

Also she has apparently burned another employee with a torch (I am assuming by accident) and I have a hunch she is the one who pooped on the toilet seat in the employee women's bathroom, but I would be lying if I was to say I wasn't slightly interested. (I don't meet that many new people nowadays)
---

My real music kick right now has been EpiFat style punk. (also called Skatepunk but people get iffy about that as a genre, so I use EpiFat). It's fast, technical and melodic almost a perfect storm for punk music. It's the music I grew up on sort of, and revisiting it in more detail has been pretty rewarding, maybe I have the urge because I am on estrogen now, and it's giving me second puberty. . Lagwagon in particular has really captured me, but I have also been into some of Millencolin's earlier stuff. I have even gotten more into NOFX, Bad Religion and Pennywise lately. Been listening to more punk in general, Gorilla Biscuits, Dag Nasty and Descendent/All have also caught me. (the last of which became super tech later on)

If I am running on, it's because I feel it's really inspired me, been learning to play some of it on guitar. And now I am getting the urge to get a bigger amp and just start playing with people, maybe get a vaguely band-ish thing going. (not strictly punk, but definitel EpiFat influenced)

---
I am glad to be done with grad school myself. All I got are community college classes over the summer, and they aren't for a degree so I just need to focus on learning. Taking Unix I and Java II.

What tutorials have you been looking at?

Last edited:

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
If you're at the point where you're considering going out with a girl who pooped on the toilet seat at your place of work, I would strongly suggest giving online dating a shot. We've all been there and it's never good.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
online dating is trash for men.

If you're at the point where you're considering going out with a girl who pooped on the toilet seat at your place of work, I would strongly suggest giving online dating a shot. We've all been there and it's never good.

I can't stop re-reading this. Lmao.

Online dating is good if you don't have much in the way of options. I've met some pretty cool people that I'm now pretty close with through OkCupid.

Last edited:

Zazie

So 1991

That's putting it way too strongly, I don't want to rush into things for various reasons. I am at a make conversation get to know people kind of spot. (except i chicken out)

Plus I don't know for certain if they pooped on the toilet seat. It's not really something that bugs me.
---

As far as online dating, I tried that. Even when I hid myself from straight people I got weirdos and not the cool kind. Most of the people seemed kind of dull too, netflix isn't an interesting activity why put it in your profile?

Last edited:

Rezzo

Occasionally
online dating is trash for men.

I find that success strongly depends on where you live. Large cities have more users, which means you're more likely to get anywhere with somebody. But, I've been to places where online dating and things like Tinder are much more accepted and utilised by women.

Despite all that it's still much easier to not rely on online dating for relationship success. It really does suck (for both genders)