• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Anonymous_Smod seemed like it was a cluster**** waiting to happen but I don't remember if it did.

Anyway. It's been a few years since I actually specifically could think of any Pokemon merch that I wanted. Then I saw these...

God I am such a ****in loser lul

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
Why would you do that to yourself

Because commercial breaks. Pokemon/RPGs actually work out well because it's not like I'll get distracted in the middle of something important, so a Caterpie can't tackle you to death if you set it down without closing it or something.

I'm guessing that this has been resolved one way or the other, but my understanding is that most Asian cultures are massively uncomfortable with PDA so that could've been it.

What happened to you, sppf? You used to be better than this.

It was?
Just kidding, of course it was, since people used to actually post here. Bad activity > no activity

why the hell are 4000 guests viewing pokecommunity

I feel like most "guests" in any of these count things are trawling bots or w/e they call the things that compile information for searches/advertisers/etc., but idk for sure.

Lot's of established members either got banned or moved on. At least that's what happened to misc and the video game sections. It happened years ago at this point, though. Making unfounded assumptions about your join date, I am guessing you weren't even posting here before that happened.

People will say that it's because forums are on decline, which is probably partially true, but there are a lot of forums which haven't been hit anywhere near as bad as here.

It is weird. I never post on GameFAQs, but they had a recent poll for voters' ages, and looking back at old ones, it seems like the majority just moves up linearly with age -- basically the same cohort of people are most of the users (i.e. 30 years old is the most common now, but 10 years ago there were mostly 20 year olds). That's probably common among most websites that are more or less age-specific, like this one.

That said, it's also completely true that forums as a whole haven't been abandoned, and this one is worse than most. And even though I just referred to this site as "age-specific", Pokemon has a wide appeal and can draw across a lot of demographics (obviously we have -- or had -- plenty of 10 year olds, who are technically too young to sign up for forums and whatnot, but we've also had decades older like Malanu, whom I recall fondly). Especially with Pokemon GO! recently... was that recent? Is it still popular? I don't even know.

Lots of other sites give you more freedom online than this one does. From sigs, avatars and language to multiple accounts. I think it's more of a sppf thing than a forum thing. I mean, we used to have a rule where you couldn't have too many colors in your sig >.> Most of the people actively posting seem to be either new users or people who been here for years and just log on for the hell of it.

It's like a gd angelfire site in here. It always seemed to me like new rules were mostly added to discourage posting. So at least they worked.

Yeah, there's no real incentive to post here if you already aren't talking to some on here and just don't want to add them somewhere else. There are many needless regulations here. For instance, that terrible news sticky from 2012 that's still around. Getting rid of it now will do nothing, but that was a bad move. Don't even get started on the other things that just stifle discussion on here. Not that it matters much to me anymore. I come here once or twice a month to reply to VMs.

Plus, there's no real need for the actual Serebii site anymore.

It's sad that the only ongoing threads here are the pics thread and the two good/bad part of your day threads.

Huge megathreads in general are a bad idea, imo, but the news thread in particular was egregious. Have a link to a story about a natural disaster? News thread. Someone died? News thread. Interesting public interest story? NEWS THREAD. Any link to pretty much any story about anything? GODDAMN NEWS THREAD. I was always complaining to Profesco, etc. about it, and his inability to come up with a convincing counterargument is the reason he turned tail and abandoned the forum. True story.

Of course, I whine about the news thread, but we also had question/advice threads, into which any OP ending in a question mark could arguably be placed.

Yeah, but the only reason it goes up for me is just to read more books. What a life.

wow sounds superlame tbh.

Actually, I have at least a dozen books I've been meaning to read, but I usually end up watching Night Court reruns or trolling Paxton Lynch fans. And they say there is no meaning of life.

Yeah, the news sticky should have been taken down awhile ago, in my opinion. I'm sure it served a purpose once upon a time when the forum was more active, with members posting every BS article that they thought counted as news, but not now.

It never served a purpose AND DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU OTHERWISE

Anonymous_Smod seemed like it was a cluster**** waiting to happen but I don't remember if it did.

I forget exactly what went down, but Ethan used it as part of his ragequit, and it was gone after that. I think he had an accomplice he gave the password to (since all Smods/Admins could use it... brilliant), which effectively doubled the amount of damage they could do before an Admin could shut them down. Though I don't even know how long that was. All I know is that Serebii got a penis avatar and I lost, like, 200 posts. Unforgivable!

The Admiral

Because commercial breaks. Pokemon/RPGs actually work out well because it's not like I'll get distracted in the middle of something important, so a Caterpie can't tackle you to death if you set it down without closing it or something.

Okay, that's pretty reasonable.

I feel like most "guests" in any of these count things are trawling bots or w/e they call the things that compile information for searches/advertisers/etc., but idk for sure.

Possibly? That still seems like a lot for Pokecommunity over anything else. Again, maybe it is ROM hacking related (that stuff actually is visible without being logged in, last I checked, which is kind of surprising).

Frankly, ROM hacking is kind of a sucky process. Oh, what's that, a tool you used updated and you just got done with the clerical work, but this one has new features? Hey, now I have to teach it how to recognize the changes that have been made already. What's that, the base patch you were using updated? Well, either I don't update or I have to redo all the tedious number ****. Hey, wow, did updates on things you're using stop because the guy quit the community to get a real job? ****, now I have to poke around in this thing myself without knowing what I'm doing. Great, I love losing track of my backups. Oh, what's that, the entire community gave up on one game and decided to move on to a different version of it? You know what, I'm just gonna go swallow a twelve-gauge.

And this is assuming you can even get off the ground! Some years ago I tried to do **** to Chrono Trigger and literally none of the tools worked on my Windows 7 machines! So that was shot down before it even started, for reasons of "well I'm probably gonna have a hard time processing that I've actually changed things before I go poking around" (also iirc text for the English ROM required a table so you could properly see what it was in your hex editor and I couldn't actually find that anywhere, despite the fact that it must exist because at least one of the tools had some means of editing text, even if it was just move names).

Basically: I like the idea of ROM hacking and building new content that way, but only until I start actually doing it; after that point, it can bump every stump.

Huge megathreads in general are a bad idea, imo, but the news thread in particular was egregious. Have a link to a story about a natural disaster? News thread. Someone died? News thread. Interesting public interest story? NEWS THREAD. Any link to pretty much any story about anything? GODDAMN NEWS THREAD. I was always complaining to Profesco, etc. about it, and his inability to come up with a convincing counterargument is the reason he turned tail and abandoned the forum. True story.

There's a point where megathreads are okay (not "the best solution" or even "a good solution", just "okay"), but there's a point when their scope becomes too wide for their own good and they end up just kind of consuming things.

I forget exactly what went down, but Ethan used it as part of his ragequit, and it was gone after that. I think he had an accomplice he gave the password to (since all Smods/Admins could use it... brilliant), which effectively doubled the amount of damage they could do before an Admin could shut them down. Though I don't even know how long that was. All I know is that Serebii got a penis avatar and I lost, like, 200 posts. Unforgivable!

I can believe that. I mean, Ethan was kind of a dick, frankly.

Zazie

So 1991
I am not much of a fan of megathreads.

---
I am pretty high right now, rmember when posters here used to post how high they where?

I had to take some tranquilizers (7.5 pills for different things today) to deal with my needle phobia to get my blood drawn this morning, I was a big girl and didn't put up much of a fuss this time. And I am just messed up all day. MUsic ounds better though, listening to some Black Sabbath, Rush, Uriah Heep, Budgie, etc. and it all sounds a bit better when you're a bit hazed out. I'd bust out my guitar, but it's late at night and the new neighbors have small children.

Not that I am telling people to go take this stuff, because I am have been a bit quesy and disoriented today, it's not exaclty fun, and I am missing new magic set prerelease, which could have been an opportunity to be social. (notmally it isn't but this game store's crowd is a bit different)

Last edited:
I remember posting here a lot. Then I got heavily involved as an administrator of a large Terraria community, which eventually died due to the server manager going absolutely crazy, and I really didn't have any friends left on this forum or any other pressing reasons to stay, and even less of a reason to comment in a thread. Whatever. Enough talking about me.

It's a bit odd seeing misc get this quiet over the years. It used to be quite lively. And a little bit more hostile.

I'm going to assume the forum staff are still afraid of letting people host a new shiny Pokemon club. It's kind of funny seeing them drag the ban out for so long.

Rezzo

Occasionally
Why hello Misc, it's been a while hasn't it? Goodness I cannot believe I've been a member of this place for 8 whole years. Just doesn't feel that long at all.

Basically: I like the idea of ROM hacking and building new content that way, but only until I start actually doing it; after that point, it can bump every stump.

Quite honestly most ROM hacking community content creators have the patience of saints. I've always wanted to be more involved in that scene myself but it requires so much time management and resource-learning that I may as well just make my own video game entirely from scratch and dodge the potential C&D complaints while I'm at it

I remember posting here a lot. Then I got heavily involved as an administrator of a large Terraria community, which eventually died due to the server manager going absolutely crazy, and I really didn't have any friends left on this forum or any other pressing reasons to stay, and even less of a reason to comment in a thread. Whatever. Enough talking about me.

It's a bit odd seeing misc get this quiet over the years. It used to be quite lively. And a little bit more hostile.

I'm going to assume the forum staff are still afraid of letting people host a new shiny Pokemon club. It's kind of funny seeing them drag the ban out for so long.

I can only imagine that the club was banned because the members posting inside of it posted stuff that was completely devoid of any meaningful content, something that probably still happens in the clubs (yeah I'm too lazy to click on the clubs link because quite honestly I'll close the tab in 10 or so minutes and not visit the board in its entirety for another 3 months or something)

Last edited:

The Admiral

Why hello Misc, it's been a while hasn't it? Goodness I cannot believe I've been a member of this place for 8 whole years. Just doesn't feel that long at all.

I've had an account here for more than half of my life, which is fairly alarming.

I can only imagine that the club was banned because the members posting inside of it posted stuff that was completely devoid of any meaningful content, something that probably still happens in the clubs (yeah I'm too lazy to click on the clubs link because quite honestly I'll close the tab in 10 or so minutes and not visit the board in its entirety for another 3 months or something)

You could do worse than that, though.

For example, by being the pokephilia club, but I digress.

I'm guessing that this has been resolved one way or the other, but my understanding is that most Asian cultures are massively uncomfortable with PDA so that could've been it.

I had suspected that as a possible reason but when I tried to talk it out with him and see what was really going on he accused me of drinking. I wasn't. I told him to **** off.

It never served a purpose AND DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU OTHERWISE

I'm pretty sure it did. At its worst, moderators were closing so many junk news threads that there was only four or five decent topic threads on the front page at a time. It's pretty ugly to come to Misc. and see eight or so closed threads back to back. Not to mention, kinda lame when someone's viable topic gets bumped out of the first page for "Area man has eleven toes"

I mean, Ethan was kind of a dick, frankly.

I've seen a lot of dicks, but never one I would describe as brilliant. One day.

And even though I just referred to this site as "age-specific", Pokemon has a wide appeal and can draw across a lot of demographics (obviously we have -- or had -- plenty of 10 year olds, who are technically too young to sign up for forums and whatnot, but we've also had decades older like Malanu, whom I recall fondly). Especially with Pokemon GO! recently... was that recent? Is it still popular? I don't even know.

The problem is pokemon's core fan base is ageing, the majority being 25-30 year old adults. They've been getting some pretty stiff competition for the younger demographic from Yokai-watch, and just haven't been able to monopolize the monster catching genre like they used to.

Last edited:
Curious thing about being a mod, supermod, admin, whatever... is the disassociation one gets from being in a position of power and authority over others. Incidents such as the Ethan meltdown happen as more of an uncommon inevitability than an anomalous circumstance. Mods need friends and people to support them to keep them grounded, level-headed. Otherwise... well, in most normal circumstances they'll quietly resign and admit depression, exhaustion, discouragement, you get the idea. Then you get those more proactive ragequits where the person resigning from the community wants to burn down everything within reach. It's morbidly funny when a normal person does it because their damage is minimal and can be reversed in a few commands. But when an admin does it, it gets messy.

I'm not trying to make a point here, though it is cathartic describing all the things that made former co-workers break down around me over time.

Hey, on the lighter side of things, the world ended again yesterday. So that's fun for all.

Zazie

So 1991
The problem is pokemon's core fan base is ageing, the majority being 25-30 year old adults. They've been getting some pretty stiff competition for the younger demographic from Yokai-watch, and just haven't been able to monopolize the monster catching genre like they used to.

I wouldn't say the core fanbase is aging so much as previous fanbases have gotten back into it.

Back when the kids who where playing during and right after the fad where getting into middle and the bigging of high school, they lost interest in pokemon. Then nostalgia hit. Starting with gen 4, every new pokemon game has been getting more and more hype.Though I think it might have peaked with Pokemon Go, and I don't think this level of hype is going to last forever, it's going to die down a little bit, though not completely.

It's just kind of weird for me. I didn't stop playing pokemon in middle school and later high school. It used to be like no one was talking about pokemon, and then all of a sudden everyone was freaking out about it. And wel during that time I eventually started to get tired of pokemon, because my general opinion that after a certain points it feels like 1 step forward and 1 step back. And I don't think I am alone in this, I see quite a few SPPF people mentioning being a little tired of pokemon and these are the people that where at least at one point enough into pokemon to join a forum. I don't know I feel like people getting back into pokemon are kind of the ones getting hype while the long term players are more chill or meh about it. It's weird, like the tables have turned.

Tying this back into sppf, I feel like this is part of the reason we can't have the same sppf we used to. Pokemon is more mainstream now, you don't need a forum for it. But more importantly it's socially acceptable, the whole "too cool for pokemon attitude" that we used to have here seems kind of weird in light of that, because most people are (too) genuine in how much they like pokemon these days. The culture at large is different and old sppf culture just seems a bit weird juxtaposed against it.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Nerd culture has definitely come back. When I was 12 in middle school we got made fun of for trading Pokemon in the bathroom.

13 years later all my co-workers can't wait to go to the next anime convention or get the latest Pokemon or Japanese RPG.

It's nice seeing people be open minded so I'm a little annoying that people got teased and beat for liking things that everyone is into now

That said, surly this forum is dead enough to get custom avatars less sig restrictions. I don't even think lag exist in 2017 with all these gigabit connections

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
I kind of like the avatar restriction here. It silliness is kind of like an allegory for life's unnecessary complications! Plus it gives us a more Pokemon flair, what with everyone being forced to have something to do with it. What's chosen by the person kind of lets you know what Pokemon related thing they might feel like they identify with! Without this restriction, we'll be swamped with anime avatars and gaudy flashy lights. Not that those are a bad thing, but it won't have that Serebii feel to it anymore.

Though that's kind of silly in itself as well, I spose. Custom avi's for the common folk would be coolio for the majority! They dont have to move...

Maybe the change would be a good thing.

I could have sworn it was cause it would lag the site or somethin, idk, Joe, what's the reason again?? Cmon Joe, say somethin! SPEAK TOO UUUUSSS

The reasoning back in 2012 was that if every existing member had a custom avatar, that would be a huge data strain on the server and on people with toaster computers that had to load the custom image every time that person posted on the page.

But in today's Serebiiforums, there aren't very many active members, computers have come a long way since then, and this forum style is quite old. I tend to see newer forums running on Xenforo instead of vBulletin. The only device I've ever seen having issues with a Xenforo format is a 3DS.

The biggest negative I can come up with as a devil's advocate against custom avatars is the staff would have another thing they have to watch out for.

I know if I had a custom avatar, I'd probably just use a cropped Sylveon or Gardevoir from the recent TCG sets. Nothing fancy. This is Serebiiforums, not Discord.

The funny thing is that several years ago we'd all be warned to change the topic, and or to PM a moderator or post in the suggestions thread with your concerns. It's nice we can just speak out in the open like this.

The Admiral

Base the restrictions on who can or cannot have a custom avatar based on activity? Okay that sounds like a goddamn mess and way too much work

Zazie

So 1991
If custom avatars were allowed, I could use anime girl avatars. Or a selfie with overused snapchat filters over it. I feel like those describe the two types of people out there pretty succinctly. I use both for my profile pics on facebook.

I have actually been pretty content with pokemon avatars though. Custom ones are nice, butI don't need them or anything.

The Admiral

I would probably just use a custom avatar to enhance the shitposty look of all this trash I regularly pollute this site with.

Also, I started re-reading Homestuck and I kind of want to tear myself to pieces because of how terrible some parts of it are.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
I don't make my bed ever. But I also refuse to eat in bed, which has spawned more than one argument in the past week.