• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
That sounds kind of silly, but I don't play Smogon formats or really 6 vs 6 singles at all, so for all I know it might be called for.

Considering that Ubers is, effectively, a banlist, that makes it sound even sillier.

Anyway, John Oliver is the ****ing man and here's a link about him talking about the broken system of U.S. prisons. Skip to 14:10 for the fun part.

This is horribly depressing, and yet John Oliver remains really, really funny.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I hope you don't mean my post because that's like first grade stuff

See, I don't know why, but at first glance I read that last post as "Beer is good and helps the environment." And I don't even drink.

Considering that Ubers is, effectively, a banlist, that makes it sound even sillier.

I don't know, I'm kind of torn. Mega Gengar is kinda dumb with how useful it is so I can see why some people want it gone, but at the same time, Ubers as a tier is already ridiculously centralizing as it is, let alone the fact that it's primarily a banlist. Seems like it's going to be a lengthy testing period though, that's pretty much necessary if people are going to be making such a huge decision like this. At the moment, I don't know if it's safe to be banning an actual Pokemon from Ubers but I guess we'll find out eventually how things go with this.

Cipher

Nothing to be done
Okay, buuuuuuuut:

The bulk of Smogon is dedicated to creating fan rules for a tiered version of a game format that's inherently unbalanced and hasn't had official backing in almost ten years. Everything it does regarding tiering and bans is, presumably, done because it makes those games more fun for the userbase to play.

Which is fine. I don't see that that makes it any sillier. If Gengar is making Ubers, already a house-rules fan game, less fun for the majority of those fans to play, then there's nothing really silly or hypocritical in voting to remove it.

All of the above is why I have no interest in playing Smogon, but, while I'm sure interested parties have different calls on how it should be run, I don't think it's call for blind criticism.

That said, hey! Come play any non-singles Battle Spot format or VGC.

Cipher

Nothing to be done
Sorry for ruining the flow of the conversation but.... what's Smogon?
Whoo boy. I'll do my best to describe this:

They're the largest English-speaking competitive Pokemon strategy site (and forums).

They offer a lot of competitive Pokemon analysis but are primarily focused on 6 vs 6 singles formats with fan rules and tiers, as voted on by top players of their formats, using either online simulators (like Pokemon Showdown) or arranged Wi-Fi battles to play.

The site and their rulesets are pretty ubiquitous presences in English-language competitive Pokemon, so you'll see references to them even outside of their site. The competitive sections on these forums, for example, are focused primarily on Smogon rules as well.

The site is sometimes a source of controversy because of its differences from official Nintendo rules (which haven't endorsed 6 vs. 6 singles in years), and the bans and teiring arguably necessary to keep versions of that format balanced.

Really, it shouldn't matter either way, and the people who enjoy Smogon rules should play those while others play official Wi-Fi and tournament formats but ... well, the Internet, and sometimes you'll see arguments online where none are necessary.

It's all very silly and mysterious.

Smogon is also the German name for Koffing. Isn't that adorable?

Last edited:

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Okay, buuuuuuuut:

The bulk of Smogon is dedicated to creating fan rules for a tiered version of a game format that's inherently unbalanced and hasn't had official backing in almost ten years. Everything it does regarding tiering and bans is, presumably, done because it makes those games more fun for the userbase to play.

Which is fine. I don't see that that makes it any sillier. If Gengar is making Ubers, already a house-rules fan game, less fun for the majority of those fans to play, then there's nothing really silly or hypocritical in voting to remove it.

All of the above is why I have no interest in playing Smogon, but, while I'm sure interested parties have different calls on how it should be run, I don't think it's call for blind criticism.

That said, hey! Come play any non-singles Battle Spot format or VGC.

All fair.

I mean, it still seems kind of strange, but hey. I didn't make this.

Though, to be fair, I am kinda looking into non-singles formats, especially with that new official tournament coming up, assuming more than just Japanese people can join it. I'm having a hell of a time choosing who I want on my team, though, other than the necessary Pikachu. I'm very much considering Yanma among them, Hypnosis + Compound Eyes seems pretty alright.

Fenix

Tremulant

Profesco

gone gently
A report on stupid.

On July 10, the House approved the fiscal 2015 Energy and Water Appropriations bill on a 253-170 vote. In the bill, Congress unfortunately cut funding for such things as renewable energy, sustainable transportation, and energy efficiency; perhaps even more worrisome, however, were a series of amendments successfully attached to the bill. Each would, in its own way, specifically prohibit scientists at the Energy Department from doing precisely what Congress should mandate them to do—namely perform the best possible scientific research to illuminate, for policymakers, the likelihood and possible consequences of climate change.

Oklahoma Republican Congressman James Lankford’s amendment prohibited funding for "proposing or implementing any executive order related to the 'social cost of carbon.'" In this way, the Energy Department would presumably be prohibited from embarking on studies that might calculate the possible benefits of legislation that limits carbon dioxide emissions or the economic risks associated with climate change.

A second amendment by Arizona Republican Paul Gosar prohibited funding for the Energy Department's Climate Model Development and Validation program. One of the things that climate change deniers often pull out of their hats when arguing against acting to stem climate change is a claimed skepticism about the validity of existing climate models. I have recently countered one such skeptic on television here in Australia by accepting this skepticism—and then challenging him to present what his models predicted. (Of course he didn’t have any). The point was not merely rhetorical. If there is serious concern about the robustness of ongoing climate modeling, it is inconsistent with a desire to prohibit scientists from being able to improve their models.

A third science-defunding amendment, this time pushed by West Virginia Republican David McKinley, would prohibit the Energy Department from supporting climate change activities associated with the National Climate Assessment and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report. 
That's right: The Energy Department would be prohibited from responding to the two landmark reports that reflect the best international scientific scholarship available on climate modeling and the possible impacts of human greenhouse gas production, locally, nationally, and internationally.

I'm even sorry for using the derogatory term "stupid." But... so stupid. So sadly, unfairly, dangerously stupid. Let's hope the White House does indeed veto this depressing bill.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
dear god that is gross

Cipher

Nothing to be done
All fair.

I mean, it still seems kind of strange, but hey. I didn't make this.

Though, to be fair, I am kinda looking into non-singles formats, especially with that new official tournament coming up, assuming more than just Japanese people can join it. I'm having a hell of a time choosing who I want on my team, though, other than the necessary Pikachu. I'm very much considering Yanma among them, Hypnosis + Compound Eyes seems pretty alright.
I really hope we get the Pikachu Tournamentu, although I'm kind of expecting at this point that we won't.

I was #10 on the Showdown ladder for it the other day.

I am thinking about entering the extra-fast doubles tournament in August, though. Hope everyone enjoys Choice Scarf Dark Void.

Profesco's article made me sad and angry.

Last edited:

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
A report on stupid.

I'm even sorry for using the derogatory term "stupid." But... so stupid. So sadly, unfairly, dangerously stupid. Let's hope the White House does indeed veto this depressing bill.

Correct me if I'm wrong: so basically the government isn't allowed to support or fund climate change research if this bill isn't vetoed?

Cipher

Nothing to be done
Got a warning today for a joke response to a General Pokemon Discussion thread.

Melted my heart. Just like old times. 10/10.

Kirby

ʘ‿ʘ
Staff member
Admin
i think its been like 2 years since i last posted there

Next time make it 4 years ;(

I saw fireflies for the first time in real life today and I am so happy. I also did free for all before a smash tourney (the tourney started at 6 and I had to be at a reception at 5) and I did pretty well considering I never use Game and Watch and only started using him Thursday.

Aww yiss.