• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

Zazie

So 1991

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
I want to believe this is good news.

That this means there are less racist police officers out there since these guys left.

But I am scared the police might just go be police somewhere else and be racist there instead.

One time I was riding a bus, two police officers pulled the bus over and started harassing this one young black dude. They took him outside and started frisking him for no reason, I was like wtf?

One time I was riding a bus, two police officers pulled the bus over and started harassing this one young black dude. They took him outside and started frisking him for no reason, I was like wtf?

How do you know they didn't have a reason?

LDSman

Thing is, no one knows if they quit for racist reasons. It's pure speculation that it was due to racism. They may have quit due to loyalty to the old mayor or due to not wanting to get caught with whatever illegal scheme they had running for the entire time the old mayor was in office. Or just due to not wanting to be part of a change in procedures.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/u...or-put-missouri-hamlet-in-spotlight.html?_r=1

Many residents seem to believe that what happened was because of tensions between an old government and the new one, not between the races. Even Ms. Byrd, who has not spoken to any of the people who resigned, said it was difficult to know what to pin it on. Asked if it was racism, she said, “I don’t know.”

Or it could have been small town politics.

His decision, he said, had nothing to do with race. “I resigned due to trust issues,” Mr. Medley said.

As he explained it, Ms. Byrd’s father, who was a Parma alderman for years until his defeat in the same election that led to Ms. Byrd’s ascension, had interfered with several police investigations. Mr. Medley, 34, said he was concerned that Ms. Byrd would be just as meddlesome.

He also said that he had heard other family members of Ms. Byrd’s make threatening comments to police officers like, “I have family on the City Council; I’ll have your badge; I’ll have your job.”

“If I’ve got to be concerned whether or not I’m going to lose my job doing an action any other police officer would do, then that creates hesitation,” he said. “And in this line of work hesitation can mean life or death.”
That could be a valid concern. There have been problems in other small towns where family trumped law and the police and locals either suffered due to people who believed they were above the law because of connections or the police went along with it and the locals suffered.

I want more evidence before believing the racism claim. It seems a default claim for far too many people.

Edit: This interviewed officer claims that word was they were going to get fired so they quit to look for a different job.

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/04/304...ntent=conservativedaily&utm_campaign=Politics

Last edited:

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
hey guys look at me im so edgy and devils advocatey lololol

LDSman

I wasn't aware that pointing out a lack of evidence regarding racism was considered "edgy" or "devils advocatey." You'd think that the new mayor would be able to say one way or the other that it was because of racism.

Shouldn't society require some kind of evidence prior to assigning guilt? It's just as likely to be a corruption issue related to mismanaged funds than it is a racism issue. People have complained about the money management issue.

From the NYTimes link:

Parma is about 37 percent black and 62 percent white. Black and white residents both recall growing up alongside each other without problems. They danced together to Marvin Gaye at Mickey’s, a soul food restaurant with a jukebox, decades ago when this town was thriving with multiple nightclubs and stores. And today, people from both races complain about getting hassled by the local police.

Ms. Byrd was among those complaining. Shortly before the election, an officer Tasered a 17-year-old relative of hers and she was outspoken against what her family considered police harassment. But she said in the interview that she thought she had a good relationship with the mayor and the police chief.

Many people here said they questioned whether the hamlet’s previous leadership — the mayor and the police chief, mostly — did anything to make things better. Some said they had asked in vain for the hamlet to dig ditches to keep their yards from flooding. They complained about new police vehicles being purchased and driven out of town by officers who lived elsewhere. They questioned how the money was handled — the mayor admitted, for instance, to allowing town workers to borrow money from the town’s coffers. (He said that the money would later be taken out of their checks.)

Sounds more like political issues with management rather than racism.

Last edited:

LDSman

Um, it was a bus that was heading out of state, we were like in Arkansas or Oklahoma or something and the two cops just pull the bus over and start harassing people.

Did they check everybody or just the one person? If they checked everybody they may have been doing a random check for any issues like drug smugglers, runaways, people who might have warrants. They may have gotten a tip about something that might be on the bus. If they just checked the one guy, they might have gotten a call about that one passenger or he might have fit a description of someone that the cops were looking for. Maybe that person was causing problems earlier and the police had only just caught up to the bus.

Just because you don't know the reason why the bus was stopped doesn't mean that the police didn't have a valid reason to do so.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I think so. Apparently the pins are replaceable but, I'd rather not have too.

Yeah, I imagine that that's really not easy.

Ha ha, Judas Presit's Turbo album. People don't like it. I have enver heard it. (outside Turbo Lover, makes me think of the Heavy Metal movie)

It's about what you'd expect from the era, but lately I've kind of had a massive affection for 80s aesthetics. The cover of Turbo is a REALLY good example.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
Did they check everybody or just the one person? If they checked everybody they may have been doing a random check for any issues like drug smugglers, runaways, people who might have warrants. They may have gotten a tip about something that might be on the bus. If they just checked the one guy, they might have gotten a call about that one passenger or he might have fit a description of someone that the cops were looking for. Maybe that person was causing problems earlier and the police had only just caught up to the bus.

Just because you don't know the reason why the bus was stopped doesn't mean that the police didn't have a valid reason to do so.
He wasn't causing any problems, they started harassing the guy for no particular reason. The guy was asleep for most of the ride anyway.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed

Yes it does. As far as I'm concerned, if you don't see something, it may as well not exist. Give it up, dude. Obviously, Zorocario saw the whole thing: random cops just randomly pulled over a random bus that was randomly about to cross state lines, and randomly picked out a YOUNG MAN WHO JUST HAPPENED TO BE BLACK (lol sarcasm font :rolleyes:), took him outside and frisked him (in random locations). Or do you propose that the pigs already knew this guy was on the bus, which, oh, I dunno, confirms RACISM?

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
The Kylie Jenner lip challenge is by far one of the most idiotic challenges I have ever seen...People these days....

The ridicule wasn't enough! Why don't you throw in a Fox News joke to really push it over the top?

Yes it does. As far as I'm concerned, if you don't see something, it may as well not exist. Give it up, dude. Obviously, Zorocario saw the whole thing: random cops just randomly pulled over a random bus that was randomly about to cross state lines, and randomly picked out a YOUNG MAN WHO JUST HAPPENED TO BE BLACK (lol sarcasm font :rolleyes:), took him outside and frisked him (in random locations). Or do you propose that the pigs already knew this guy was on the bus, which, oh, I dunno, confirms RACISM?

The Constitution guarantees freedom from unreasonable search and seizure.

Just based on the things Zorocario has posted, all of us here would have an insurmountable barrier in showing it was unreasonable, seeing as one of his posts even said the cops were harassing people, plural, not only one black guy.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
IKR! so edgy LOL other POVs are stupid!

Also, i'm debating on leaving law school to go back and get a degree in petroleum engineering so i can actually have a job and most likely not be miserable with the job.
Yeah that sounds like a good option if you ask me. You'd have an easier time finding jobs in anything engineering than law, considering the amount of people trying to be lawyers.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
IKR! so edgy LOL other POVs are stupid!

Oh, poor downtrodden conservative you.

Yeah that sounds like a good option if you ask me. You'd have an easier time finding jobs in anything engineering than law, considering the amount of people trying to be lawyers.

Also anything involving petroleum. As much as there has been a push for renewable energy, petroleum isn't exactly going to disappear overnight. Especially while the government continues giving huge subsidies to oil companies.