• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
Oh ****, Jamaica is beating USA 2:0.

What a rip from Giles Barnes.

Imagine if Raheem Sterling chose to play for Jamaica instead of England?

Jamaica won 2:1.

Well that was unexpected.

Last edited:

Zazie

So 1991
It's barely available, mostly just through community hacks. It will never be truly compatible with other OSes, since, as with all .NET languages, it's so tightly ingrained with Windows.

Speaking of efficient languages, though, I'd like to learn assembly. On second thought that's not even a funny joke, I already want to die.

Last I heard they made it open source not to long ago with intentions to have it work on Mac and Linux. Link to the source I heard it from here.

But I am not sure what that really means in terms of implementation or widespread use. (Swift is now open source too, but I am not prepared to bank on it right now)

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Last I heard they made it open source not to long ago with intentions to have it work on Mac and Linux. Link to the source I heard it from here.

But I am not sure what that really means in terms of implementation or widespread use. (Swift is now open source too, but I am not prepared to bank on it right now)

.NET itself is, but .NET on it's own isn't really terribly useful. It's all of the Windows components and services that you can hook into with it that make it really great, and unless people are going to try to start hacking and porting over the majority of Windows services, there's not a whole lot of point.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Since C++ is one of the more efficient (assuming you're coding well) languages, and since it works everywhere, it's going to be more popular. C# is great if you're planning to target Windows only, for a number of fairly obvious reasons.

Back when I was actively pursuing a degree in computer science (i.e. before I went to uni and they wanted to teach us using Java and the professor I had for years 2 and 3 (but not 1, for some reason) was complete *** as an instructor -- nice guy, but not a great teacher), my first programming classes were in C++ and it was ****ing great. C++ is not only efficient but, imo, pretty easy to learn.

And then, of course, said credits for computer science transferred over as electives in C++ as opposed to the main programming line.

Speaking of efficient languages, though, I'd like to learn assembly. On second thought that's not even a funny joke, I already want to die.

Yeah, as much as I think learning to do stuff in assembly would be cool, I'm pretty sure actually sticking my genitals in a wood chipper would be a more pleasant experience.

Recon

Never again *shudders*.

Had to take a class on it, and soon I have to take another class on OS which assembly is a prerequisite for.

Last edited:

Zazie

So 1991
Yeah, as much as I think learning to do stuff in assembly would be cool, I'm pretty sure actually sticking my genitals in a wood chipper would be a more pleasant experience.

Assembly is on my long list of things to eventually mess around with, but it is pretty low on it. It's a long list and I don't have time for most of it right now.

I am not even sure if I should be spending time on C, but I figure if nothing else it's good resume fluff.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Assembly is on my long list of things to eventually mess around with, but it is pretty low on it. It's a long list and I don't have time for most of it right now.

I am not even sure if I should be spending time on C, but I figure if nothing else it's good resume fluff.

If you want to make or edit operating systems, Assembly and C are what you want to know, if not, then Assembly is going to be pretty much useless but C definitely has some other uses.

Some exciting news I thought I'd share. So, I've gotten involved with a local secular group stationed here in Kent and just recently had a meeting with its main organizers over some coffee. I must have made a good impression, because I got personally invited over for dinner and the prospect of being an assistant to help with organizing events was waved at me. They shared their vision for what they wanted the group to become. Since it's getting bigger, we want to eventually lease out a place and turn it into a cafe of sorts where people that are questioning their faith or have already left it can gather, debate, discuss, play games, etc. Sort of like the old French salons, if you will. The really great thing is that the groups main organizer Wendy is really in touch with the leaders of larger groups that service more people, like the chapter for Humanists of Washington in Seattle, and plans to meet with them (and take me with! :D ) to discuss how we can make the vision happen. Wish us luck!

What's more amusing is that I have a date that's opted to check out the group with me this Saturday. I met him through a dating site and didn't notice he was fairly religious until I creeped his profile more. I gave him a heads up as to what he's getting into and surprisingly, he's still down. It'll be interesting to see how this goes.

Last edited:

Zazie

So 1991
So people here talk about Amiibo's a lot so I got a question.

I got a friends brithday party coming up and I thought maybe I could get them an imported Yarn Yoshi amiibo (since apparently they aren't out here yet). Is 30 dollars a reasonable price for these things or is that extreme scalper territory?

The price itself isn't bad for me at all, it's just that I don't want to give it to them and then have them feel offput because I way overpayed for becuase I know nothing of these Amiibos at all, or that I am trying to showboat or anything.

Some exciting news I thought I'd share. So, I've gotten involved with a local secular group stationed here in Kent and just recently had a meeting with its main organizers over some coffee. I must have made a good impression, because I got personally invited over for dinner and the prospect of being an assistant to help with organizing events was waved at me. They shared their vision for what they wanted the group to become. Since it's getting bigger, we want to eventually lease out a place and turn it into a cafe of sorts where people that are questioning their faith or have already left it can gather, debate, discuss, play games, etc. Sort of like the old French salons, if you will. The really great thing is that the groups main organizer Wendy is really in touch with the leaders of larger groups that service more people, like the chapter for Humanists of Washington in Seattle, and plans to meet with them (and take me with! :D ) to discuss how we can make the vision happen. Wish us luck!

What's more amusing is that I have a date that's opted to check out the group with me this Saturday. I met him through a dating site and didn't notice he was fairly religious until I creeped his profile more. I gave him a heads up as to what he's getting into and surprisingly, he's still down. It'll be interesting to see how this goes.

Hope it goes well for you. SOmtimes those kind of differences make a big deal, but other times they really don't. Never really know until you try.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
So people here talk about Amiibo's a lot so I got a question.

I got a friends brithday party coming up and I thought maybe I could get them an imported Yarn Yoshi amiibo (since apparently they aren't out here yet). Is 30 dollars a reasonable price for these things or is that extreme scalper territory?

The price itself isn't bad for me at all, it's just that I don't want to give it to them and then have them feel offput because I way overpayed for becuase I know nothing of these Amiibos at all, or that I am trying to showboat or anything.

It's not the worst price I've seen, and if you're importing it, that's sounds about right for importing something from outside the US. I payed about 27 dollars for an imported Ike, so that's not unreasonable. But the question is, are you buying it from a seller in the US, or from a site from the country of import?

KillerDraco

If that's included shipping, that's actually a decent price. Yarn Yoshi appear to MSRP for 19.99, so with standard shipping prices in Europe, you're not paying too much more than MSRP on the product itself. But if that's just the base price... that's a bit of a stretch.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
I hate not being able to sleep the night before you have something important to do. I just get so nervous and can't stop thinking and planning my day for tomorrow, trying to maximize time and getting every detail right.