• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Did it in rural North Carolina and now Atlanta. It was ***.

Now, I'm not saying it doesn't suck for women too, but at least they get dates. I'd be lucky to do as much as to get a reply 'less I spam message people.

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
Cheat the system by having a puppy in your profile picture.

I hated when people did this if only because of the number of times I ended up thinking, "Your dog is super cute. Too bad about your shit personality."

Every guy I met via online dating turned out to be an absolute disaster. And when it came to women, there just weren't many lesbian/bi women in my area. And the ones that were out there were mostly college age, and I'm too old for that. I've got a career and somewhat of a life and I don't need to feel like I'm raising my s/o. Did that for four years and I'm over it. I did make a pretty cool friend on OKCupid a few years ago and she and I are still good friends. But romantically? Not a good experience.

Glad I don't have to deal with it anymore.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
As far as online dating, I tried that. Even when I hid myself from straight people I got weirdos and not the cool kind. Most of the people seemed kind of dull too, netflix isn't an interesting activity why put it in your profile?

The Straights are a menace to reason and reality itself

(also on the Agalloch point earlier -- they're pretty cool. I didn't listen to them for a while, but I also tend to avoid black metal and similar genres. I dunno.)

Zazie

So 1991
The Straights are a menace to reason and reality itself

(also on the Agalloch point earlier -- they're pretty cool. I didn't listen to them for a while, but I also tend to avoid black metal and similar genres. I dunno.)

I am generally not big into black metal (all that tremolo picking gets old fast), but I like some of the bands that branch out of it.
---

And don't get me started on the dating or social life in general thing that comes with age. A lot of college kids, especially younger and full time ones are just plain difficult (between not being able to go a day without mentioning there in college, to being social at weird hours). But then again sometimes people with white collar 9-5 office jobs* can be kind of bland and uninteresting (at least according to one of my friends who happens to have a 9-5 white collar office job). Which mostly leaves "the rejects" un and underemployed long term part time students, etc. My experience has been those people tend to be the most interesting to hang out with for whatever unknown reason.

*personally I hate those kind of jobs, really boring and sedentary. If I got paid better and had hours that weren't social life killing, I would stay in the "service" industry. Though I am trying to become a programmer, but that's different that's doing something I enjoy. (I am more talking about that paper pushing stuff, which I have also done)

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
I wish I could be a manchild sometimes. 2 jobs and full time school suck all the fun out of most of my week.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
So you're going to show up 2 minutes before we close and then whine and complain that the buffet is almost empty? This same guy shows up every Sunday at the last minute and makes a scene. He just does it to be a douche. I can't stand customers like that. Hopefully this is my last restaurant job.

The Admiral

So today, my aesthetic philosophy class had a conceptual art show. I came as close as I could to presenting nothing (note: not "not presenting anything," that's different) and people liked it.

I also made flyers for it that had pictures of Bob Ross and panels from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure on them. It was fun and I'll miss the class, even though talking about a stuffy old bastard like Hegel was boring when we were on that.

Zazie

So 1991
Art classes can be really fun sometimes, at least when you are given a lot of wiggle room. But that mostly means college art classes. Because high school ones tend to be joy sucking. Never understood why so many people would take arts history. It's both boring and takes away any potential creative fun you can have. I blame emphasizing gpa's and having mandadtory gen eds.

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
I hated when people did this if only because of the number of times I ended up thinking, "Your dog is super cute. Too bad about your shit personality."

Every guy I met via online dating turned out to be an absolute disaster. And when it came to women, there just weren't many lesbian/bi women in my area. And the ones that were out there were mostly college age, and I'm too old for that. I've got a career and somewhat of a life and I don't need to feel like I'm raising my s/o. Did that for four years and I'm over it. I did make a pretty cool friend on OKCupid a few years ago and she and I are still good friends. But romantically? Not a good experience.

Glad I don't have to deal with it anymore.
Ladies who held up their man child partners for too long unite! Pro tip: don't sign a lease and a phone plan with someone whose awful with money.
But yeah, I've never tried like OKCupid or Match or anything serious like that, but I've gotten a lot of dates through Tindr, some of which were dead from the start and a few of which were fun flings. The problem is I work with mostly middle aged women, so I'm not gonna meet anyone at work, and I still hang out mostly with my college friends so I'm not running into anyone I haven't already known for like 6 years. But I met someone I like recently, so hopefully that works out cause I'm sick of casual dating and kind of miss monogamous commitment.

Anyway, today is the anniversary of the Battle of Hogwarts, so we should all spend the day mourning Fred Weasely and Remus Lupin. Melisandre needs to get on that.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
This got confirmed and deconfirmed as confirmed again as much as the Hey Arnold Jungle Movie. But hey.
The only Hey Arnold movie I remembered was where the suburbans were petitioning for their property to not be bulldoze, and they found evidence of the historical value due to the Tomato Incident. I did love the Deepthroat parody, as Deep Voice.

Also, did you know that Arnold is the reincarnation of Jesus of Nazareth? Think about it, he always tries to help the less fortunate, and the episode where he wears the bunny pajamas while being jeered from the crowd was reminiscent of the crucifixion. Helga represents the obsessive tendencies of the Catholic church. /I'm just kidding; don't take this too seriously, okay?

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
And don't get me started on the dating or social life in general thing that comes with age. A lot of college kids, especially younger and full time ones are just plain difficult (between not being able to go a day without mentioning there in college, to being social at weird hours). But then again sometimes people with white collar 9-5 office jobs* can be kind of bland and uninteresting (at least according to one of my friends who happens to have a 9-5 white collar office job). Which mostly leaves "the rejects" un and underemployed long term part time students, etc. My experience has been those people tend to be the most interesting to hang out with for whatever unknown reason.

*personally I hate those kind of jobs, really boring and sedentary. If I got paid better and had hours that weren't social life killing, I would stay in the "service" industry. Though I am trying to become a programmer, but that's different that's doing something I enjoy. (I am more talking about that paper pushing stuff, which I have also done)

My issue with a lot of people around my age on dating sites is that a lot of them do seem to be the type that are (like you said) under/unemployed and/or what I would call "professional students" who had no idea what they wanted to do with their lives. No judgment to those people. Life is rough and figuring out what you wanna do can be hard... I just don't want to date those people. That might make me shallow, but I'm to the point in my life where I'm looking for the person I want to settle down and start a family with so I need someone with stability. But everyone has a different goal when it comes to dating.

Ladies who held up their man child partners for too long unite! Pro tip: don't sign a lease and a phone plan with someone whose awful with money.
But yeah, I've never tried like OKCupid or Match or anything serious like that, but I've gotten a lot of dates through Tindr, some of which were dead from the start and a few of which were fun flings. The problem is I work with mostly middle aged women, so I'm not gonna meet anyone at work, and I still hang out mostly with my college friends so I'm not running into anyone I haven't already known for like 6 years. But I met someone I like recently, so hopefully that works out cause I'm sick of casual dating and kind of miss monogamous commitment.

Anyway, today is the anniversary of the Battle of Hogwarts, so we should all spend the day mourning Fred Weasely and Remus Lupin. Melisandre needs to get on that.

I work in a female-dominated field, but I met my boyfriend at work. It does admittedly complicate things slightly but whatever. At least I know he's responsible and has a good job and the getting to know process happened face to face. The number of times people seemed really cool and easy to talk to over texts/messages and then turned out to be totally awkward or weird in person when I tried to date online... Yeah, it was nice to find someone who was genuine from the start. I don't have time for bullshit.

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
Of course who I work with doesn't matter; I'm not going back next year. Education has a lot of good sides, but I don't think I'm tough enough for it long term. There's A LOT of interpersonal conflict in schools, and you have to be really good at powering through it and standing your ground. It's for "strong personalities," which they don't warn you about in college. I'm switching to IT, where you don't have to interact as much with other people.

The Admiral

Art classes can be really fun sometimes, at least when you are given a lot of wiggle room. But that mostly means college art classes. Because high school ones tend to be joy sucking. Never understood why so many people would take arts history. It's both boring and takes away any potential creative fun you can have. I blame emphasizing gpa's and having mandadtory gen eds.

I assume it's because that's the only art class that's offered at that level much of the time, because STEM classes are ~so much more important~ than having a soul. Clearly the education system is training us to become robots.

I mean, don't get me wrong, STEM stuff is important (I was a comp sci major before and still like the field), but there IS such a thing as balance, which apparently the dinguses who are running the show don't seem to understand.

Zazie

So 1991
I assume it's because that's the only art class that's offered at that level much of the time, because STEM classes are ~so much more important~ than having a soul. Clearly the education system is training us to become robots.

I mean, don't get me wrong, STEM stuff is important (I was a comp sci major before and still like the field), but there IS such a thing as balance, which apparently the dinguses who are running the show don't seem to understand.

I think it may be school dependent though, my old college made it's BS programs full of extra cruft, lot's of math and science filler, and if you dikd CS, you'd get engineering thrown on top too. Apparently some schools only require you study the actual subject you signed up for plus a few essentials, rather than demanding you go full STEM.

It's one of the reasons I get tired of people asking me why I didn't take computer science too. It can be filled with extra STEM baggage that I may have difficulty with, and makes degree requirements cost more than a PHD. (this being in reference to going back after getting a BA)

It also has the problem of being overkill in some areas, while insufficient in others.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
i know people of all genders and orientations who have found success through online dating, but some of that could be the area i'm in. i feel like in the outer bay area it's almost more uncommon to NOT have a profile on at least 1 site set up if you are actively trying to date. i mean, my workplace is not only dominated by other women, but also people much older than i am, so i will probably have to get back on the online dating train eventually if i want an actual relationship. the only one i ever really used was tinder and i definitely wouldnt go back to that, but other sites arent so bad from what ive heard.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I've never tried out online dating, so I really can't say anything about it. My biggest problem is that I'm trapped in the friendzone, and it sucks. My friendzone level is definitely over 9000. Oh well, I'll survive.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
I never got the friendzone. Then again for a guy i feel like I have a weird proportion of men to women friends.