• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Not interested in the NES Classic at the moment. I already have an NES with SMB3, StarTropics, MTPO, and Shadowgate (the latter of which the NES Classic does not have because of probably actual reasons but which I am inclined to phrase as "cause it's BASIC AS ****"), and sure, I'm missing some good games that the NESC has (Zelda II comes to mind, as does Super C), it's lacking a few good games (Mega Man 3 where?). Not saying it necessarily "is" bad, or that you shouldn't buy one -- but it's not for me, given my current finances and game collection.

I'll get one at some point, but I don't know when I will. I'm a sucker when it comes to collecting video games and consoles. I'm currently trying to build up my N64 collection.

That seems like a very specific regulation on what you can wear headphone-wise. I assume it's basically "no wires and no large headsets" or something, right?

Personally, I like neither wireless headphones nor anything that's not circumaural.

Yes sir. Anything with wires is a no no. Large headsets is a no no. We can't use anything that covers the ear totally. I'm one of those people that likes to crank up metal with my earbuds in. I can't hear a single thing going on around me when I do that lol. I've never done that at work, but several people have, and they made it on the plant managers **** list for doing that. With the open ear headphones you can listen to your music, and still hear your surroundings. The Union shop has pretty strict rules. It's understandable, though. It's all about safety. A guy had his earbuds in, wasn't paying attention, and he almost got hit by a fork truck.

Zazie

So 1991
Well I started with the snes and haven't played most nes games besides the Mario ones, so I figured it's a good way to have a lot of the decent ones all in one place. I'm sure I could have bought some on vc instead but oh well

I started with the SNES too, I tried some NES games on the VC. But 8 bit games are different, harder and simpler. I am not actually that crazy about most of them.

That's why I am more interested in the genesis that is coming out it's 16 bits. (but genesis games are already on computer and compilation discs to it's not a special)

Last edited:

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I started with the SNES too, I tried some NES games on the VC. But 8 bit games are different, harder and simpler. I am not actually that crazy about most of them.

That's why I am more interested in the genesis that is coming out it's 16 bits. (but genesis games are already on computer and compilation discs to it's not a special)

To be honest, I want them to do one of these for the SNES. A lot of the SNES games that I think are good are super expensive and/or hard to come by.

(Sadly, it would definitely not have Secret of Evermore or Zombies Ate My Neighbors.)

Zazie

So 1991
To be honest, I want them to do one of these for the SNES. A lot of the SNES games that I think are good are super expensive and/or hard to come by.

(Sadly, it would definitely not have Secret of Evermore or Zombies Ate My Neighbors.)

Yeah another thing that kind of lessens my excitment, having a bundle of big name games can be cool, but there are loads of great hidden gems you aren't nessecarily getting with this. (unless they expand on it with more titles)

I was actually excited by the recent-ish NEO GEO humble bundle becuase it actually did give more than the usual suspects and gave use some really cool stuff. But that is also kind of a different situtaion than for Nintendo and Sega, so not exactly comparable.

Peter Quill

star-lord
I haven't been to a convention in years - Might be worthwhile to go. We hosted one where I live not too long ago and I got to see all the cosplayers at my job it was neat.

The Admiral

I've been to a fair number as well. The only one I've ever regretted was PAX East, which was very bro-y for lack of a better word, and too crowded.

Well, I mean, the problem is that, well, Penny Arcade. They're not exactly the most welcoming sorts, and they're pretty influential in the culture. Thus: bro-y atmosphere.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I saw a bunch of Ash Ketchums. That was right up there with Deadpool and Harley Quinn (all incarnations) this year.

Figures, yeah.

Excitable Girl went as Harley Quinn for Halloween. If I wasn't so lazy and poor, I would've matched her with a Cesar Romero Joker costume, but I am.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I want to go to Pax East this spring in Boston. I'll just drive there. It's about an 11-12 drive from Michigan. I took two trips to Iron Mountain Michigan this summer. Both trips were about 8 hours long. It's so beautiful up there in the Upper Peninsula. Iron Mountain is about 10 minutes away from the Wisconsin border.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Well, I mean, the problem is that, well, Penny Arcade. They're not exactly the most welcoming sorts, and they're pretty influential in the culture. Thus: bro-y atmosphere.

Penny Arcade is weird. Especially the one guy who does the writing. It's like he replaces random words from a thesaurus to try and make himself sound smarter.

The Admiral

Penny Arcade is weird. Especially the one guy who does the writing. It's like he replaces random words from a thesaurus to try and make himself sound smarter.

Holy crap I didn't realize I didn't reply to this

BUT

This is a thing I've seen a LOT in a lot of nerd culture things -- forced use of SAT words and other thesaurus use (and abuse?) to try and make the writer look smarter (when usually it just makes them look like a douchebag).

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
visit /r/iamverysmart if you like to laugh at that kind of stuff

and ive never been to a con unless worlds counts. maybe id go if i had people who wanted to go with me that would act as creeper shields.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
If you are able to do it well, you come up with something hilarious such as this.

and ive never been to a con unless worlds counts. maybe id go if i had people who wanted to go with me that would act as creeper shields.
I've been to A-kon and it was fine from my angle (I go with my sister and brother. People will ask to get pictures of you if you're costume looks great (happened to a TF2 Engineer such as myself).

Unfortunately, they have had problems with certain people being inappropriate, which leads into the "Cosplay is Not Consent" territory.

TL;DR My experiences aren't bad, and usually, people are welcoming, but that isn't to say there haven't been any problems whatsoever.

Zazie

So 1991
visit /r/iamverysmart if you like to laugh at that kind of stuff

I don't know about creeper shields, but I am a creeper magnet.

It's actually not a good thing to be.

Fun fact, the worst creeper I have ever had to deal with used to post here.