• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

Okay, so. I'm writing a book and have been kind of exasperated trying to find a critiquing partner. I didn't really bother with the fan fiction section because you know, it's not fan fiction. I registered on absolute writer or whatever but my posts don't go through for some reason. I live too far away from any writers club. Facebook friends are like "Yeah, no" That said, if anyone is wants a critiquing partner they should definitely message me.

\o/

Forbidden Snowflake

take it out on me
I'm trying to install Gunbound on my new computer and it doesn't work. It pops a message about apex protect when I launch it. It didn't work on my old computer either.
Help anyone?

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
Does March 10 actually have an official day?

Is your sig seriously from 2013? You should strive to keep it up to date with the latest in SPPf trends, like I do.

So, that's a "no" on any "official" day and "yes" to "imaginary holiday to shill corporate nonsense" day, right?

Okay, so. I'm writing a book and have been kind of exasperated trying to find a critiquing partner. I didn't really bother with the fan fiction section because you know, it's not fan fiction. I registered on absolute writer or whatever but my posts don't go through for some reason. I live too far away from any writers club. Facebook friends are like "Yeah, no" That said, if anyone is wants a critiquing partner they should definitely message me.

\o/

Upside: I will critique your writing
Downside: I will make you feel dumb as ****

I'm trying to install Gunbound on my new computer and it doesn't work. It pops a message about apex protect when I launch it. It didn't work on my old computer either.
Help anyone?

I don't know anything at all about your problem; I'm just quoting the last post (from 5 days ago wtf sppf?) to give the visage of me being trendy and up on things.

Upside: I will critique your writing
Downside: I will make you feel dumb as ****

I would enjoy that very much, plus I already feel dumb as shit so do you're worst. Part of the problem with showing family and friends is that most of the time, they won't tell you that your work sucks. I've done what I can by researching and listening to youtube tuturials, lectures, etc. but the best way to identify and improve upon your weaknesses is to have others read and give feedback. So, I'll start you off with chapter one.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tw1_I-lW7nxMi835lugbDzf4LJWpdpgAY8fDX2jzYxk/edit

As for specific goals with this piece, I'm trying to merge the brutal and superstitious environment of ancient antiquity with the whimsical and enchanting. I want to shift the reader from being filled with a Disney kind of wonder to dread and shock in a way that doesn't feel jarring. My specific weaknesses include illustrating character thought processes and I'm not terribly good at writing transition scenes, because they bore me. It's difficult for me to write through dull parts. And commas r hard, idk.

I have it set to where anyone can make suggestions. If you decide what you read isn't garbage, I'll periodically come in and update you with progress.

Last edited:

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
So, that's a "no" on any "official" day and "yes" to "imaginary holiday to shill corporate nonsense" day, right?

Like most official days, really, but who needs me to say that at this point

Part of the problem with showing family and friends is that most of the time, they won't tell you that your work sucks.

I have this issue a lot too. Makes the whole thing kind of a pain in the *** when the person most criticizing your own work is yourself.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
Woo, I'm a year older. Yayyyyyyyyyy.

Congrats on completing another full loop-de-loop of the sun.

P.S. Is Amnesia any good? I think I downloaded it, but ICBF to check, and I very much want to know if the purchase I may or may not have made was worthwhile.

I will get to that eventually and give you feedback in a VM or something. Or here if you prefer being embarrassed publicly.

Like most official days, really, but who needs me to say that at this point

I do, because I like hearing that I'm right.

I have this issue a lot too. Makes the whole thing kind of a pain in the *** when the person most criticizing your own work is yourself.

What sort of work do you do? If you want, I will criticize it indiscriminately for you, regardless of whether or not I am qualified to critique the material.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I had to do some more testing at work tonight that was fun. Like 4 hours of my day went straight to testing. I was taking a bloodborne pathogens course, and after that I took another lockout tagout course. Fun Fun.

pirate555

Word.

I should hook you up with my father; just last week he blew my entire Master's thesis out of the water. He is the crowbar to the garage door of your confidence.

Woo, I'm a year older. Yayyyyyyyyyy.

Happy belated birthday!

And oh, I'm back on Serebii after being barely known in my first spate of procrastination here.

Zazie

So 1991
Is your sig seriously from 2013? You should strive to keep it up to date with the latest in SPPf trends, like I do.

Latest sppf trends? I nearly wrote this place off for dead. I am surprised discussion is happening right now.

Like most official days, really, but who needs me to say that at this point.

Beat me to the punch. Nice one.

People of SPPF: I will be at Anime Boston a week from today. If one of the five or so people still here I would actually wanna meet will be there, I would be delighted.

I am starting to think I should give up on anime conventions myself. They've gotten to expensive and too big. Though I do want to give a small con in central VA a try, since it's cheap and last year they have a rgood band as the musical guest. (that had nothing to do with anime or any nerd stuff) Hoping the small con might let me run my panel idea, "I love the 90s, anime edition".

I actually did meet someone I met from a different forum at the last anime convention I went to. Though I did so much go to the convention so much as get fed up after waiting in line and decide to go back home instead, but whatever.

I'm allergic to anime.

They make medication for that.

Speaking of anime I just watched Inuyasha, am watching Naruto currently and am going to watch Bleach next. I never saw any of them when they where big and I thought why not give them a try, just for laughs. Also because I need some filler netflix show to watch while I am cooking or playing 3DS. Mostly the 2nd part really.
___

Lately I am trying to focus on music making, need to get some music software and recording equipment, just waiting until my finances are in the clear, and trying to choose from the somewhat small selection of stuff that works on Linux.

The good news is I found a nice super easy to use software synthesizer. I think the fact that it has a preset based on a :wumpscut: song might have sold me on it. Still need to pick out a digital audio workstation though.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Kind of curious to go to that one, because it's a really long running con, and because it's named after Project A-ko which is an anime I really like.
There's also the musician, what if it's name after him? (kidding, obviously)

Two years, I went as the Engineer from TF2.

Now I hope I can pull off a Greninja costume. I have the substitute doll.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
I had to do some more testing at work tonight that was fun. Like 4 hours of my day went straight to testing. I was taking a bloodborne pathogens course, and after that I took another lockout tagout course. Fun Fun.

When you say your work is testing you after a bloodborne pathogen course, you mean that they're, like, testing your knowledge of the material and not testing you to see if you picked up any strange diseases at the workplace, right?

People of SPPF: I will be at Anime Boston a week from today. If one of the five or so people still here I would actually wanna meet will be there, I would be delighted.

Where is that being held? I would like to go to an anime convention one day, but I feel like I'm not actually weeb enough and everybody will just look down on me. Also I don't want anybody IRL to know I like anime, so it's kind of a pickle.

And oh, I'm back on Serebii after being barely known in my first spate of procrastination here.

You're one of the dozen or so people here I recognize.

Actually, I remember most of the people here, but I guess it makes sense; there doesn't seem to be any compelling reason for new users to join.

Latest sppf trends? I nearly wrote this place off for dead. I am surprised discussion is happening right now.

Look, I don't make the trends, I just follow them unquestioningly. I'm surprised, too. Most forums I visit have active discussions, but they also don't make pointed attempts to mash every possible discussion into a few megathreads.

Speaking of anime I just watched Inuyasha, am watching Naruto currently and am going to watch Bleach next. I never saw any of them when they where big and I thought why not give them a try, just for laughs. Also because I need some filler netflix show to watch while I am cooking or playing 3DS. Mostly the 2nd part really.

I've actually been really into half-watching TV while doing something else, too, especially handheld games (I'm watching some amateur basketball game right now, incidentally). I don't use Netflix, though, because if it's something I have any interest in watching, I feel like I miss too much without commercial breaks spreading out the show. Shockingly, I may even bust out a Pokemon game when football season starts back up, as I've just about used up all of the Professor Layton games.

Zazie

So 1991
Where is that being held? I would like to go to an anime convention one day, but I feel like I'm not actually weeb enough and everybody will just look down on me. Also I don't want anybody IRL to know I like anime, so it's kind of a pickle.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. Anime conventions kind of went mainstream a while ago.

Look, I don't make the trends, I just follow them unquestioningly. I'm surprised, too. Most forums I visit have active discussions, but they also don't make pointed attempts to mash every possible discussion into a few megathreads.

I hate megathreads too. I have noticed quite a few forums started adopting them a few years ago or so, around the time people started claiming forums are dying. I think it may be more than a coincidence.

Last edited:

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Basically every forum tries to copy reddit when they don't realize reddit has a million problems of it's own.