• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Kingdom Hearts has a story that's too hilarious to be bad.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I can't wait to snag Persona 5. I've been waiting patiently for this to hit the USA.

Mah man! Hope you enjoy it! First playthrough took me 90hrs (remove 10-15hrs because of my 2nd grade Japanese). Also, enjoy hanging demons, beheading them with a guillotine, or even shocking them in an electric chair! Fun for the entire family!

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
Kingdom Hearts has a story that's too hilarious to be bad.

I've actually only played 1 and 2 (I think I own at least three of the handhelds, but I've yet to play any for more than 10 minutes). 1 has a kind of charm that I liked, where you get a kid dropping in on Disney characters who are dealing with Heartless and whatnot in their own way -- I wouldn't say it was good, but it was entertaining. 2 was awful, where literally every world was, "Hey, it's Sora, Donald, and Goofy! Help me with [exact plot from movie]!" I really like the gameplay, though, even if it's pretty shallow.

I can't wait to snag Persona 5. I've been waiting patiently for this to hit the USA.

If it's anything like P4G, it will be massively overhyped. But still good. I'll probably get it after a price drop.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I really enjoyed Persona 4. It's such a good game. I played it heavily on my Vita. I ended up buying Suikoden II for my Vita as well. I played the crap out of it. Luca Blight is such a good villain. The first Suikoden game is my favorite. I beat that game a good 7 times.

Zazie

So 1991
Honestly Persona is so last decade. I enjoyed 3 and 4 back when they were new-ish, but at this point it's been so long between games, and the milked previous ones so hard, I don't really care much anymore.

I could get it, but seeing as I don't have a PS3 or PS4, I would have to borrow a system to play it, and I don't think I quite care about it that much anymore, even if it will probably be good.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
If it's anything like P4G, it will be massively overhyped. But still good. I'll probably get it after a price drop.

I'm having a lot of fun with the game so far. Best game I've played since Breath of the Wild. Or Nier: Automata. (Why are there so many good games coming out this year?)
It came early yesterday, and I managed to put 6 hours into it. It's not as lighthearted as P4, and the edge is really oozing out of it, but the things it does are nice. It brings negotiation back from the mainline games, and the difficulty is nice. My big problem right now is that I don't have any items, and yet I'm still trying to get through the first dungeon.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Honestly Persona is so last decade. I enjoyed 3 and 4 back when they were new-ish, but at this point it's been so long between games, and the milked previous ones so hard, I don't really care much anymore.

I could get it, but seeing as I don't have a PS3 or PS4, I would have to borrow a system to play it, and I don't think I quite care about it that much anymore, even if it will probably be good.

As far as I know, the casts of neither 3 nor 4 show up again.

On the other hand, I have heard that some of the characters kind of resemble some of the ones from 4, which does make me worry about the writing not being as good as it could be.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
As far as I know, the casts of neither 3 nor 4 show up again.

On the other hand, I have heard that some of the characters kind of resemble some of the ones from 4, which does make me worry about the writing not being as good as it could be.

Rise and the Cowboob from P4DAN show up in posters in Shibuya Station. Teddie also shows up as a decoration in your room. Tanaka shows up too, but on your laptop instead of TV this time.

Ryuji resembles Yusuke and Junpei. Morgana with Teddie. MC with Yu and P3MC, closer to Yu because this guy gets all the ladies too. Like geez, this guy's making out with 20+ year olds, which Yu didn't even do. Writing's great, just that it seems the localization team did a bad job actually localizing it, instead opting for literal translations. Authenticity is good and all, but nobody speaks like this, for example. If Igor said that, sure, he speaks in ye olde English, but not modern people.

The Admiral

Honestly, I'm more irritated by the streaming-related clampdown more than anything.

In a day and age where sharing your experience and discussing it with friends via the internet is becoming more and more commonplace, it's good to see that there's still a company out there willing to be weapons-grade ****s to little people.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Even in the Japanese version, the Share button was disabled except for the main menu and the opening prologue. Tales of Zestiria also blocked it. It's stupid.

The Admiral

It's good to see that video game companies don't understand that the exact experience of playing a video game cannot be readily replicated through screenshots or viewing a stream. Christ, I'm pretty sure even Nintendo has figured this one out by now (even though they still apparently completely blocked videos of Breath of the Wild in some countries).

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Yeah, Nintendo is still on the dark side when it comes to copyright it seems. They're still sith lords. If someone is just showing off gameplay, or even doing a review of a product that has already been released, what's the big deal? Even if you don't care for Let's Playing it's not harming anything. If anything the advertising helps Nintendo, but apparently they're too dimwitted to realize that.

Nintendo needs to ease up.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
It seems to be some old Japanese executives. IIRC, isn't streaming not that popular in Japan? Nintendo still hasn't taken down Angry Joe's BOTW review, so something must have changed. But then again, he did threaten to sue Nintendo if they took down one of his Nintendo related videos again. Must not be worth it to deal with these popular YTrs and their insane fanbases. Just happy Joe isn't a horrible person like TotalBiscuit or Johntron.

bobjr

Staff member
There's a big debate on whether or not streaming helps sales. How much is "Wow I need to get this now!" vs. "I can wait for this later/not get it now". There's really not a lot of data to show either way.

Hey mod people, does anyone care if I make a flash fiction thread in polls, where the members have to write a story (less than 500 words) about a prompt given to them by the last poster? Or should that go in games? Or fan fiction? I have no idea.

bobjr

Staff member
That would probably be in either games or fanfiction, I'm not familiar enough with the rules of the latter to know if it would be allowed or not.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
To be fair, that definitely isn't fan fiction... but I dunno, sometimes I feel like this site has way too many sub-forums. Also, I like the thread idea and I don't want to navigate to a foreign sub-forum to get at it. Speaking of places I never visit because they're all the way on the other end of the site, they should wrap the video games sections into Misc., as a sub-forum alongside Entertainment and Debates. That way, I wouldn't have to scroll so much -- well, I say that, but the problem is that I don't go there in the first place because I don't want to have to scroll all that way, so in terms of saving time not-scrolling, perhaps the current setup is already ideal?

I'm having a lot of fun with the game so far. Best game I've played since Breath of the Wild. Or Nier: Automata. (Why are there so many good games coming out this year?)
It came early yesterday, and I managed to put 6 hours into it. It's not as lighthearted as P4, and the edge is really oozing out of it, but the things it does are nice. It brings negotiation back from the mainline games, and the difficulty is nice. My big problem right now is that I don't have any items, and yet I'm still trying to get through the first dungeon.

You know, I've been looking at getting Nier for forever, but I haven't yet. If Automata is that good, I might have to get on that. Also, I really want to get Breath of the Wild, but I didn't preorder the Switch, and those things are still sold out everywhere AFAIK. Did not think it would be difficult to find a Nintendo console a month into launch, but here I am. Actually, I like hearing that P5 isn't so lighthearted -- in P4G, at some point it started to feel jarring that it was half murder-mystery/dungeon crawler and half dating sim/daily life anime.