• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
There's a big debate on whether or not streaming helps sales. How much is "Wow I need to get this now!" vs. "I can wait for this later/not get it now". There's really not a lot of data to show either way.

You mean like you'd think reviews would?

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Well you even have companies like Bethesda that don't even give out review copies, just pre release ones to super fans who will just gush that they got a free early game.

Bethesda is a bad company.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
You know, I've been looking at getting Nier for forever, but I haven't yet. If Automata is that good, I might have to get on that.
Read the reviews. Read user reviews. They're pretty much in line with each other. Yes, Nier Automata is excellent, must-buy. There's even a demo on Steam and PSN, but it's not a good representation of the full product.

Also, I really want to get Breath of the Wild, but I didn't preorder the Switch, and those things are still sold out everywhere AFAIK. Did not think it would be difficult to find a Nintendo console a month into launch, but here I am.
Just buy the Wii U version.

Actually, I like hearing that P5 isn't so lighthearted -- in P4G, at some point it started to feel jarring that it was half murder-mystery/dungeon crawler and half dating sim/daily life anime.
There's a reason why people jokingly compare the P4 team to the Scooby-Doo gang. Did you even play P3? I'd say P5 is closer to P1 and P2's story and theme. It can get dark sometimes. Even fusing Personas, which is a common thing to do, is hard to watch if you're not used to this violence. It's the perfect balance of all 5 previous games (because P2 was split in 2 versions).

Well you even have companies like Bethesda that don't even give out review copies, just pre release ones to super fans who will just gush that they got a free early game.

Rule of thumb:
•If pubs don't release their review embargo until launch week (or even worse, no review copies at all), chances are it's very bad
•If pubs release review embargo a week or more before launch, chances are they're good
Obviously not always, but this will more often than not ring true

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade

Bethesda has been garbage for a long time running and for other, completely unrelated reasons -- but yes, you are correct.

Companies should be embracing people who give them free airtime. Telltale, a company who primarily makes narrative adventure-style games where 99% of the game is just the contents of the plot, which Atlus is supposedly so upset about being spoiled, actively courts these folks, as I've just found out today. Why is this? Because the players' own experience of going through the story on their own is not replicable by watching a stream. Many players of video games do not treat them like novels where only getting the story as it's told is enough (and even then that's kind of reductive regarding novels). There isn't data that I've found that suggests that this actually harms sales.

Anyway, I hope this winds up being Atlus' Schwarzgerät. I mean, I know they're a corporate entity and a corporate entity is going to continue to act like a corporate entity, but honestly, this is still very, very crass.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I found a copy of Superman 64 at Disk Traders. It was two dollars. I figured why not I'll buy it. Just so I can say that I own one of the crappiest games of all time. Well, Bubsy 3D is way worse. That game is a complete cluster ****.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
You know, I've been looking at getting Nier for forever, but I haven't yet. If Automata is that good, I might have to get on that. Also, I really want to get Breath of the Wild, but I didn't preorder the Switch, and those things are still sold out everywhere AFAIK. Did not think it would be difficult to find a Nintendo console a month into launch, but here I am. Actually, I like hearing that P5 isn't so lighthearted -- in P4G, at some point it started to feel jarring that it was half murder-mystery/dungeon crawler and half dating sim/daily life anime.

I mean, I have some motivation issues while playing Nier, but when I do play it, I have a lot of fun. I can understand why P4G would be jarring, but there are parts of it I still really like over P3 and P5 at this point. The group in P4 just meshes together pretty well, and compared to that, the group in P5 is missing something, I guess. They don't feel like a group of friends, or an organization. I don't know the best way to explain it, I guess

Question. So, I have this date Saturday with someone who's much prettier than me. We joked around a bit, and I told him that I was going to cheat and bring a puppy. I also quipped that I didn't have a puppy, but the neighbor shouldn't miss his. He thought it humorous, but insisted that the puppy wasn't necessary for me to appear cute, which was sweet, but I'm wondering...would it be cute if I drew him a puppy, with his name signed under it? Or is that weird? Nothing extravagant, just a cutesy anime sketch.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
So I'm at the Gym lifting weights to intense metal music, and on the other side of the Gym people are listening to pop music. I think I'm too intense with my workouts lol.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
I mean, I have some motivation issues while playing Nier, but when I do play it, I have a lot of fun. I can understand why P4G would be jarring, but there are parts of it I still really like over P3 and P5 at this point. The group in P4 just meshes together pretty well, and compared to that, the group in P5 is missing something, I guess. They don't feel like a group of friends, or an organization. I don't know the best way to explain it, I guess

Yeah, I get it, and that was definitely true about P4G. That's actually a lot of the reason that Tales of Legendia and Tales of Zestiria are among my favorite in the Tales series, even though there are a lot of sub-par things about them, gameplay-wise -- both have the group of main characters come together and bond in a believable way, whereas a lot of games give you characters who stick around for very flimsy reasons.

Would it still be gramatically correct if i wrote 'needless to say' without a coma afterwards?

Depends on the context.

Persona 4 was Japanese Scooby Doo minus the dog and with added annoying bear.

P3s cast was amazing*. Badass fighting dog

Scooby Doo is awesome all games should aspire to be half as cool as Scooby Doo.

Question. So, I have this date Saturday with someone who's much prettier than me. We joked around a bit, and I told him that I was going to cheat and bring a puppy. I also quipped that I didn't have a puppy, but the neighbor shouldn't miss his. He thought it humorous, but insisted that the puppy wasn't necessary for me to appear cute, which was sweet, but I'm wondering...would it be cute if I drew him a puppy, with his name signed under it? Or is that weird? Nothing extravagant, just a cutesy anime sketch.

Catch a live wolf, name it after him, and bring that. Pretty much 100% chance to get laid.

So I'm at the Gym lifting weights to intense metal music, and on the other side of the Gym people are listening to pop music. I think I'm too intense with my workouts lol.

Or not intense enough. Start grunting loudly after every rep, start screaming loudly in celebration and pouring Gatorade on your face and head (like Clay Matthews!) after every set you finish, and aggressively volunteer to spot everybody you can. Eventually, they'll take the hint and get with the program.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Or not intense enough. Start grunting loudly after every rep, start screaming loudly in celebration and pouring Gatorade on your face and head (like Clay Matthews!) after every set you finish, and aggressively volunteer to spot everybody you can. Eventually, they'll take the hint and get with the program.

For a minute I thought Clay Mathews was the football player that hit himself in the head with his helmet lol. I don't remember who that football player was, but he was very intense lol.

Zazie

So 1991
Scooby Doo is awesome all games should aspire to be half as cool as Scooby Doo.

What about Jabberjaw? He get's no respect.

Yes it would be very cute if you drew a puppy. The name signed under it might be a bit much though.

But maybe you shouldn't trust me. People think I am weird. And last time I dated someone I kind of messed it up with first impressions pretty bad. Like I got the hipster label, and she assumed I wasn't into her in that way. Both of which where kind of baffling to me in context. And kind of a shame, because super cool person.

Good luck though, hope it goes well for you!

Last edited:

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Hanna Barbara ripped it's own stuff off all the time. They had no shame.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Shaggy and Scooby are stoners. When the gang splits up and Freddy goes with Daphne we all know what's really going on.

Zazie

So 1991

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
Shaggy and Scooby are stoners. When the gang splits up and Freddy goes with Daphne we all know what's really going on.

That crossover between Johnny Bravo and Scooby Doo is one of my favorite things ever.

They are not stoners. Harvey Birdman proved it in court.

Honestly, I always hated when that and Space Ghost: Coast to Coast would come on when I was a kid, but nowadays they might be right up my alley. Just checked to see if they're on Netflix, but no dice.

Incidentally, looks like Netflix just released a series called 13 Reasons Why, which is kinda one of my favorite books. They probably ruined the whole thing, but maybe that was for the best: I read it in a college class on YA literature, and each of the ten or so other students (all of whom were probably mid-20s or older) in my group missed the blatant central theme of the book despite it, y'know, being written for teenagers. Goodreads users don't get it, either.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
They are not stoners. Harvey Birdman proved it in court.

Now you got me on YouTube watching Harvey Birdman at 2am in the morning.

Do I regret staying up late to watch Harvey Birdman? Nope. I don't regret a thing.

In all honesty when I go to lay down in bed I'll be watching YouTube on my phone until 6am anyways.

That crossover between Johnny Bravo and Scooby Doo is one of my favorite things ever.

Haha yes! That crossover episode is amazing. Back in the day I watched Cartoon Network like crazy just for cartoons like Johnny Bravo.

Last edited: