• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
This is my favorite song to blast while I'm making my way to work. Since my job isn't very enjoyable this song fits perfectly. Nothing like some ACDC.

https://youtu.be/l482T0yNkeo

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
Yeah, I get it, and that was definitely true about P4G. That's actually a lot of the reason that Tales of Legendia and Tales of Zestiria are among my favorite in the Tales series, even though there are a lot of sub-par things about them, gameplay-wise -- both have the group of main characters come together and bond in a believable way, whereas a lot of games give you characters who stick around for very flimsy reasons.

I definitely agree. Having the group come together and bond in a believable makes the game a lot better in my opinion. I see Zestiria panned almost everywhere, but I like it because the group works very well together. Berseria's group comes close, but due to how dark the game is comparatively, the group doesn't seem as believable as it would in a lighter setting. I might also be harsh on P5 right now, considering that we don't have the whole group together, but that really shouldn't matter. The group dynamic should work, in spite of who or who may not be there at any given time

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I posted in the OVGD thread a month or two ago where I said one of my negatives with P5 is when your party members join. The last two join really late. One of the characters you do meet and interact with way before they join, and I don't mind that. But the other you don't meet until past 1/3 of the game. I never really took notice, not even in P3 and P4, until I was in my 3rd playthrough of P5. You don't really feel like a full team until way later, and by that point the game is wrapping up. I'm still fine with the school year management, but I would like P6 to change it up and have the whole party already there by July at the latest.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
I loved that episode too.

I can't believe Velma dumped Johnny for Dexter though.

Wait, what? The episode I remember was just a typical Scooby Doo mystery, except they picked up Johnny along the way to his aunt's house. No Dexter or anything like that. Are you telling me there are more crossover episodes?

This is my favorite song to blast while I'm making my way to work. Since my job isn't very enjoyable this song fits perfectly. Nothing like some ACDC.

https://youtu.be/l482T0yNkeo

It's kinda weird since I'm so big on almost all classic rock, but I really do not like AC/DC tbh. Most of their songs feel like 1 or 2 minutes of content spaced out into full songs, and most of their music is pretty same-y. "Thunderstruck" is basically their only song I listen to willfully.

I definitely agree. Having the group come together and bond in a believable makes the game a lot better in my opinion. I see Zestiria panned almost everywhere, but I like it because the group works very well together. Berseria's group comes close, but due to how dark the game is comparatively, the group doesn't seem as believable as it would in a lighter setting. I might also be harsh on P5 right now, considering that we don't have the whole group together, but that really shouldn't matter. The group dynamic should work, in spite of who or who may not be there at any given time

Yeah, the one thing that video games do that no other media can is make an immersive world that you get to explore, and having a diverse cast that is also believable goes a long way to that, but it's a delicate balance if you get to the point where it's like, "OK, [X] is in my party just because they want to give you a character who uses [mechanic]," or to fill out the cast, or any meta thing like that. While I like a lot of things about Berseria, the one thing that got me was that Rokurou kinda had flimsy motivations, and they brushed that over by having him mention that he always repays debts no matter what about 500 times. Other than that, though, they did a pretty good job of making a compelling game about a bunch of assholes.

And yeah, it really shouldn't matter when characters join, since the main group should be working at any point in the story, so if you're noticing that they feel incomplete or half-baked something, the developers obviously screwed up somewhere. I don't remember thinking that at any point in P4, even as characters join the story out of nowhere. (of course, I hate knowing anything about games going in, so I'd never know that certain characters will eventually join you, so I might be less sensitive to that or something)

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
I want to get Nier now, even though I know it'll have like 8 endings that barely make sense.

bobjr

Staff member
For an obscure cult game with a likely small printing that's honestly not super terrible.

Zazie

So 1991
Wait, what? The episode I remember was just a typical Scooby Doo mystery, except they picked up Johnny along the way to his aunt's house. No Dexter or anything like that. Are you telling me there are more crossover episodes?

It was a series of bumpers during commercial breaks. I actually remembered them wrong though. Velma and Johnny didn't last, but she didn't go for Dexter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3la82bYtcPg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyIPtyN7sdw

It's kinda weird since I'm so big on almost all classic rock, but I really do not like AC/DC tbh. Most of their songs feel like 1 or 2 minutes of content spaced out into full songs, and most of their music is pretty same-y. "Thunderstruck" is basically their only song I listen to willfully.

I am not a big fan of AC/DC either, they have the occasional song that is good, but most of them aren't. I feel like Thin Lizzy generally does the whole "tough guy" hard rock think better in general.

Though this really old AC/DC Pokemon AMV that was on the Evangelion Redeath* VHS always made me smile.

*way back before we had abridged series, we had fandub parodies, where people would mix anime footage with scripts they wrote themselves. Funinees was a mixed back, but it was pretty impressive back then, especially considering what technology was like back in the day, some of them even go back as early as the 80s.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Well, I mean, Square-Enix probably wouldn't be involved otherwise, right?

Also, I just looked up original Nier on Amazon $45 **** that noise.

Is that $45 new? I got mine used for like $20 a couple years ago. If it's that much for a used copy... not sure if it's riding off the hype for Nier Automata or just used game prices being ***.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Holy crap fanboys are annoying. Especially the fanboys on the Pokemon Anime Discussion board. Now I remembered why I don't post as much over there.

The Admiral

I watch a fair amount of anime but have basically gotten to a point where I don't talk about it too much as a result of things like that. Anime fans tend to suck.

Zazie

So 1991
I don't really relate much to other anime fans either, despite having a lot of friends that like anime. Partially because a lot of anime fans annoy me, but also because the kind of anime I like generally is what's big and popular right now.

I prefer 80s and 90s anime mostly.

Though I am kind of hooked on Dragonball Super right now. It's chock full of dumb ideas and decisions, but it's surprisingly well executed, so it's really entertaining to watch in comparison to most of Z, which wasn't very good.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Ugh, I loathe fanboys. Any fanboys. Especially console/PC fanboys.

Today some guy at the stop light was blaring the worst rap music ever, so I started playing Slayer-Raining Blood loudly. I don't think the guy liked that.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
For an obscure cult game with a likely small printing that's honestly not super terrible.

Yeah, I guess in the scheme of things, $45 really isn't that much. But it's about the principle -- most video games I buy when they fall between about $20-30 (unless I need to play it right away, or a Nintendo game that will never drop, or whatever)

It was a series of bumpers during commercial breaks. I actually remembered them wrong though. Velma and Johnny didn't last, but she didn't go for Dexter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3la82bYtcPg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyIPtyN7sdw

Ah, I do remember these! Film noir crossovers with cartoon characters in real-world settings... Cartoon Network sure comes up with some weird stuff. I haven't watched the network in forever and ever, but come to think of it, I get it with my SlingTV subscription. Is it worth watching in general anymore, or are there any good shows, or what's their deal these days?

buy it you fool

Sheesh, fine.

Is that $45 new? I got mine used for like $20 a couple years ago. If it's that much for a used copy... not sure if it's riding off the hype for Nier Automata or just used game prices being ***.

$45 new, but still $36 used. I'm not certain, but I feel like I've seen it in the $20 or less range for new over the past couple years when I've eyed it. I do think it's probably because of Automata (hopefully).

I watch a fair amount of anime but have basically gotten to a point where I don't talk about it too much as a result of things like that. Anime fans tend to suck.

Yeah, that's the problem with specialized sites, is that everyone is a fan, and most fans can't be objective/critical. Even a broader site like MAL has this problem: the only time I used any of their forums was to point out that Clannad is melodramatic terribad nonsense, and I unanimously encountered belligerent, malformed pushback on how I didn't understand the shitty foreshadowing that was used to justify the deus ex machina asspull at the end (granted, this was years after it finished airing, so it makes more sense that the board would be populated by clingy fanboys/girls, but still).

We should make a Misc. animu of the month that we can all watch and then rant about how terrible it was. I like watching anime, but plenty of it is just bad. Bad anime is OK to watch, but only if you get to turn it into funny rants later, and you can't do that if the only places to discuss it are populated by fanboys (and if I can't rant about it, the only thing I get out of it is like, "****, I wasted hours watching that ****."). I barely watch any anymore just because it's so difficult to tell whether a series is good or not just based on the opinions of the people who watch it, and if you happen to think something they like is bad, they definitely don't want to hear about it.

Ugh, I loathe fanboys. Any fanboys. Especially console/PC fanboys.

Crazy to me how some people get so worked up about how strangers spend their time/money on hobbies. Hobbies which can totally coexist (seriously, console wars seem worse to me than sports rivalries, at least on the internet. Obviously, in sports, there's a winner and loser, so it makes sense, but I have no idea why console wars are so out of hand).

Last edited:

Zazie

So 1991
We should make a Misc. animu of the month that we can all watch and then rant about how terrible it was. I like watching anime, but plenty of it is just bad. Bad anime is OK to watch, but only if you get to turn it into funny rants later, and you can't do that if the only places to discuss it are populated by fanboys (and if I can't rant about it, the only thing I get out of it is like, "****, I wasted hours watching that ****."). I barely watch any anymore just because it's so difficult to tell whether a series is good or not just based on the opinions of the people who watch it, and if you happen to think something they like is bad, they definitely don't want to hear about it.

I could get behind this

bobjr

Staff member
The only good anime is the one where dogs fight bears, complete with spinning dog missile attacks.

Also the one where a Japanese dude falls into a hot tub and ends up in Ancient Rome.

Or the one where they do Dracula except Dracula has a son named Janus and mugs a guy for a Hamburger.

The Admiral

$45 new, but still $36 used. I'm not certain, but I feel like I've seen it in the $20 or less range for new over the past couple years when I've eyed it. I do think it's probably because of Automata (hopefully).

$45 new is fair for a hardcopy game that's, I think, seven years old now, especially if it's still in the plastic (i.e. not like what Gamestop claims to be "new" -- admittedly I'm marginally more irritated about them selling me Persona 3 Portable as "new" with just a sticker over the edge of the case to keep it shut years later than I currently am at Atlus JP over their streaming nonsense, even though that is still pretty crappy.

Now if it turns out to be Sega and they do something like that to Sonic Mania, considering I ordered the special edition, I will personally walk all the way to Sega headquarters from here in the middle of a cornfield in Illinois and shove the bonus edition statue so far up Sega's CEO's ass that it will retcon the entire franchise from reality.)

Anyway where was I. Oh yeah, $45 for Nier new is honestly probably pretty reasonable, and $36 is a huge step up after the last few years, but I expect demand has skyrocketed, so blah blah blah ECON 101

Yeah, that's the problem with specialized sites, is that everyone is a fan, and most fans can't be objective/critical. Even a broader site like MAL has this problem: the only time I used any of their forums was to point out that Clannad is melodramatic terribad nonsense, and I unanimously encountered belligerent, malformed pushback on how I didn't understand the shitty foreshadowing that was used to justify the deus ex machina asspull at the end (granted, this was years after it finished airing, so it makes more sense that the board would be populated by clingy fanboys/girls, but still).

I could get behind this

I like the idea too, but to be frank, I would probably mostly just rec Gundam 0080. It's only six half-hour episodes long, at least, but it packs about as much as other classic Gundam series when it comes to the main themes of the franchise into that length of time. (Also, David Hayter did a voice for one of the characters in the dub, so if you're a hardcore enough MGS fan, you'll want to add that to your watch list.)

Crazy to me how some people get so worked up about how strangers spend their time/money on hobbies. Hobbies which can totally coexist (seriously, console wars seem worse to me than sports rivalries, at least on the internet. Obviously, in sports, there's a winner and loser, so it makes sense, but I have no idea why console wars are so out of hand).

You're not wrong. I thought we got over console wars back when Sega declared themselves the eternal champion in 1993 with their port of Mortal Kombat (which, MK1 still wasn't a good game), then proceeded to piss that away in fits and starts over the next ten years (the Dreamcast was legit, but was probably not the best move from a marketing stance, and while the Saturn was cool... well, its hardware made programming for it an absolute nightmare, and this is why even the current best Saturn emulator doesn't cover everything perfectly even now).

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Yeah, I guess in the scheme of things, $45 really isn't that much. But it's about the principle -- most video games I buy when they fall between about $20-30 (unless I need to play it right away, or a Nintendo game that will never drop, or whatever)
This is one thing I want to change this gen. If 2nd time's the charm, and 3rd-party devs actually support Switch this gen (unlike Wii U *ahem*), then there'd be more competition to force them to drop prices. Nintendo is in a special condition where they can keep the prices so high for so long because like 95% of all Nintendo customers only buy Nintendo games, and the entire library is like 95% all Nintendo developed and/or published.

But there are winners and losers in the console wars. Instead of who scores the most points (golf excluded), it's who sell the most hardware.

I watched a dumb anime because I saw a friend rate it 1/5 stars on MAL. It was about a guy who gets into a club full of Z cup girls, and I'm pretty sure one of them was a middle schooler. It was awful. I still watch some anime like DB Super and JoJo, but I try to limit it to anime that seem like it'll have the least amount of extreme boobage fan service or clueless guy with a harem tropes.

Whoops forgot P5 has a harem haha can't wait for you people to see the Valentines Day event

Last edited: