• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
So, I've been doing some reading of classic old threads recently, and in doing so, I noticed that a couple users, namely Locke Yggdrasill and Yami Ryu, had "memorial" user rank bars. Since both of them were once prominent/popular members, I just figured that the bars were paying tribute to people who were once a big part of the community here, but no longer came around. Then, tonight, I was reading over some of my old VMs, happened to find one from Locke that was pretty funny, and checked his profile to see if he ever came on anymore. Quickly realized that the "memorial" bar was for users who were known to have passed away. I assume everyone else knew this, but it was still a shock to me. I don't know why I bring this up, except to say that it sucks. :( I never really knew Yami Ryu, but I remember that her reputation as a critic in the fan works sections preceded her. Locke was one of the first users here I really started to interact with, and while I think the majority of his activity here preceded me ever joining, he was still a great, funny guy, whose infrequent stops here I always enjoyed. Requiescat in pace.

I could get behind this

yeahyeahyeahyeah

The only good anime is the one where dogs fight bears, complete with spinning dog missile attacks.

Also the one where a Japanese dude falls into a hot tub and ends up in Ancient Rome.

Or the one where they do Dracula except Dracula has a son named Janus and mugs a guy for a Hamburger.

These all sound highly compelling. Added to The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and the one about a teenager murdering everybody with a notebook, that makes 5 anumes worth watching.

$45 new is fair for a hardcopy game that's, I think, seven years old now, especially if it's still in the plastic (i.e. not like what Gamestop claims to be "new" -- admittedly I'm marginally more irritated about them selling me Persona 3 Portable as "new" with just a sticker over the edge of the case to keep it shut years later than I currently am at Atlus JP over their streaming nonsense, even though that is still pretty crappy.

Now if it turns out to be Sega and they do something like that to Sonic Mania, considering I ordered the special edition, I will personally walk all the way to Sega headquarters from here in the middle of a cornfield in Illinois and shove the bonus edition statue so far up Sega's CEO's ass that it will retcon the entire franchise from reality.)

Anyway where was I. Oh yeah, $45 for Nier new is honestly probably pretty reasonable, and $36 is a huge step up after the last few years, but I expect demand has skyrocketed, so blah blah blah ECON 101

Yeah, that Gamespot thing is total BS. I've had it happen a couple of times from Amazon sellers, too (not a sticker, but just no shrinkwrap), but the games looked untouched and had everything, so I didn't say anything (plus shipping anything back is a PITA, so I try to avoid it if at all possible). Since everyone seems to agree that $45 is fair for Nier, I guess it probably is, but looking through other games I've been eyeing from that 2009-10 period, for example, Star Ocean: The Last Hope International is ~$24 new and ~$15 used, which is about the range I try to buy games at. (it doesn't have great review scores, mind, but they're better than Nier)

I like the idea too, but to be frank, I would probably mostly just rec Gundam 0080. It's only six half-hour episodes long, at least, but it packs about as much as other classic Gundam series when it comes to the main themes of the franchise into that length of time. (Also, David Hayter did a voice for one of the characters in the dub, so if you're a hardcore enough MGS fan, you'll want to add that to your watch list.)

I feel like you've recommended this to me before, when I said that Code Geass was the closest thing to a mecha anime I'd ever watched (still is, AFAIK, unless I watched one that was just that unmemorable). It shall be taken under consideration.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
So, I've been doing some reading of classic old threads recently, and in doing so, I noticed that a couple users, namely Locke Yggdrasill and Yami Ryu, had "memorial" user rank bars. Since both of them were once prominent/popular members, I just figured that the bars were paying tribute to people who were once a big part of the community here, but no longer came around. Then, tonight, I was reading over some of my old VMs, happened to find one from Locke that was pretty funny, and checked his profile to see if he ever came on anymore. Quickly realized that the "memorial" bar was for users who were known to have passed away. I assume everyone else knew this, but it was still a shock to me. I don't know why I bring this up, except to say that it sucks. :( I never really knew Yami Ryu, but I remember that her reputation as a critic in the fan works sections preceded her. Locke was one of the first users here I really started to interact with, and while I think the majority of his activity here preceded me ever joining, he was still a great, funny guy, whose infrequent stops here I always enjoyed. Requiescat in pace.

Yikes. Didn't know that that had happened with either of them. That's. a thing to hear, that much is certain.

Yeah, that Gamespot thing is total BS. I've had it happen a couple of times from Amazon sellers, too (not a sticker, but just no shrinkwrap), but the games looked untouched and had everything, so I didn't say anything (plus shipping anything back is a PITA, so I try to avoid it if at all possible). Since everyone seems to agree that $45 is fair for Nier, I guess it probably is, but looking through other games I've been eyeing from that 2009-10 period, for example, Star Ocean: The Last Hope International is ~$24 new and ~$15 used, which is about the range I try to buy games at. (it doesn't have great review scores, mind, but they're better than Nier)

I think as bad as it got was a sorta-local Gamestop (in Aurora, IL) advertising a copy of The Bouncer as "new" for $35 or maybe even $40, when the case they'd left out on display had gone kind of a dark blue in some patches, had remnants of the original label from the top of the case, had the front insert faded, and most damning of all, the case was badly battered and looked like a dog had chewed it (and was missing one of the two, er, "clips" that hold the manual in place).

I sincerely hope they had a wrapped, or at least complete and barely-damaged, copy somewhere in the back and weren't seriously trying to pawn that manky piece of crap off as "new." But as I never asked anyone about it, I assume the end result is "Gamestop stores are run by franchisees and so this does not reflect on the company, also they are responsible for their own oversight." If in more words and legalese.

Also, I have never played Star Ocean: The Last Hope, but I haven't heard good reviews for it, which is sad. I remember Till the End of Time being beloved, and I managed to pick up The Second Story for like $25 or something, which is about as much as I paid for its remake a couple years prior. (Have only heard about the fifth game, Integrity and Faithlessness, from people on here with very, er, specific focuses, and from a couple other e-friends saying the outfits were ****ing ludicrous.)

I feel like you've recommended this to me before, when I said that Code Geass was the closest thing to a mecha anime I'd ever watched (still is, AFAIK, unless I watched one that was just that unmemorable). It shall be taken under consideration.

I think I may have? I have definitely recommended it before on this site and a couple others for its sheer effectiveness in being, well, a nicely compacted Gundam series. It's fairly heavy, though -- not what I'd call a particularly "fun" series in a lot of ways.

The Big O is another very good mecha series. Very strongly stylized after the Bruce Timm Batman cartoons from the 90s, along with a lot of film noir stylings and with some of the fight sequences being reminiscent of stuff from kaiju films (you know, like Godzilla), just with, well, giant robots. It's an interesting balancing act that I think tends to work out pretty well.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Crazy to me how some people get so worked up about how strangers spend their time/money on hobbies. Hobbies which can totally coexist (seriously, console wars seem worse to me than sports rivalries, at least on the internet. Obviously, in sports, there's a winner and loser, so it makes sense, but I have no idea why console wars are so out of hand).

I couldn't have said it any better. It's like when Ash lost the Kalos League in the anime. The Pokemon Anime Discussion board was a nuclear wasteland. People were livid. Now people are livid about Brock and Misty not being in the new 20th Anniversary movie. I like some nostalgia every now and then, but I refuse to let *** like that ruin my day. I have other things in life to worry about. People are crazy man. Console wars....Oh gawd. It's horrible man.

So, I've been doing some reading of classic old threads recently, and in doing so, I noticed that a couple users, namely Locke Yggdrasill and Yami Ryu, had "memorial" user rank bars. Since both of them were once prominent/popular members, I just figured that the bars were paying tribute to people who were once a big part of the community here, but no longer came around. Then, tonight, I was reading over some of my old VMs, happened to find one from Locke that was pretty funny, and checked his profile to see if he ever came on anymore. Quickly realized that the "memorial" bar was for users who were known to have passed away. I assume everyone else knew this, but it was still a shock to me. I don't know why I bring this up, except to say that it sucks. I never really knew Yami Ryu, but I remember that her reputation as a critic in the fan works sections preceded her. Locke was one of the first users here I really started to interact with, and while I think the majority of his activity here preceded me ever joining, he was still a great, funny guy, whose infrequent stops here I always enjoyed. Requiescat in pace.

This comes as a shock to me. I remember Eric really well. He was even on my facebook for sometime, I guess that's why his page suddenly went blank...

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
Yeah, the one thing that video games do that no other media can is make an immersive world that you get to explore, and having a diverse cast that is also believable goes a long way to that, but it's a delicate balance if you get to the point where it's like, "OK, [X] is in my party just because they want to give you a character who uses [mechanic]," or to fill out the cast, or any meta thing like that. While I like a lot of things about Berseria, the one thing that got me was that Rokurou kinda had flimsy motivations, and they brushed that over by having him mention that he always repays debts no matter what about 500 times. Other than that, though, they did a pretty good job of making a compelling game about a bunch of assholes.

And yeah, it really shouldn't matter when characters join, since the main group should be working at any point in the story, so if you're noticing that they feel incomplete or half-baked something, the developers obviously screwed up somewhere. I don't remember thinking that at any point in P4, even as characters join the story out of nowhere. (of course, I hate knowing anything about games going in, so I'd never know that certain characters will eventually join you, so I might be less sensitive to that or something)

I feel like there were a lot of flimsy motivations for the cast of Berseria to stay together at first. The one with the best motivations for going with Violet throughout the game was Eizen, I feel. The rest didn't seem like they should be there all the time and yet they were. The group chemistry works well, but I feel the game was too dark for the light-hearted some of the characters were.

P5 is definitely a better game than P4 in almost every aspect. But the fact that the cast works in P4 makes it a more enjoyable game for me. It's a bit frustrating.

Zazie

So 1991
So I was just talking with a friend about pokemon and well she's really into being gay and that reminded my of how lesbian Lorelei is. So I internet searched to see if that information ever spread past /misc. Unfortunately it hasn't I am kind of disappointed.

Of course the internet never ceases to dissapoint me at this point, so I don't know what I was expecting.

Zazie

So 1991
When I was 8 years old, I didn't even know what a Lesbian was. But yeah it was agreed upon in the general chat thread 5_ years ago that Lorelei is super lesbian.

I just learned how to connect my 3DS to the internet and trade friend codes today. Because that's how lazy and apathetic I am. It's ex's 3ds, so not only is it covered in ranbows, sailor moon and stickers, but the mii looks like Hank Hill from King of Hill and has some weird glitched out looking name. I don't even know what you can do with friend codes besides trade/fight pokemons.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Powerade is on sale at Kroger for 58 cents a bottle. Yeah, I filled up a cart and bought 30 dollars worth of Powerade. I love Powerade, especially Powerade Zero.

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
Perhaps strategy talk doesn't have the same draw it did back in the day!

Let us speak of bread bags. I sure hope you all properly tie your bread bags up with the seal they come with!
Imagine just being a "spin and tuck" person! Such an act of bread negligence is absolutely abhorrent, to be sure!

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
Damn. An entire month without a post. This thread isn't what it used to be.

ALMOST a month, you mean. Way to ruin everything jb

Perhaps strategy talk doesn't have the same draw it did back in the day!

Let us speak of bread bags. I sure hope you all properly tie your bread bags up with the seal they come with!
Imagine just being a "spin and tuck" person! Such an act of bread negligence is absolutely abhorrent, to be sure!

Life's too short to spend feeding plastic into a tiny little clip thing. "Tuck it and **** it" is my motto when it comes to bread bags. Also applies to picking up the morning newspaper when it's too early to be wearing pants.

Anyway, everybody here should play the Trails of Cold Steel games, from the Legend of Heroes series, available on Playstation 3 and Playstation Vita. Or maybe not, because the third game isn't even out in Japan yet, and who knows how long it'll take to localize, and I'm already feeling antsy about needing to play it. So, next best thing, I went back to play the Trails in the Sky games, which are older and set in the same world (tbh, I should have started there, since I bought the first one on PSN years ago but never started it). But it turns out that the PC version of the first Sky game has been updated with new translation, plus the third is only on PC, etc., so I decided to finally get on Steam to play that, plus I could hook it up on my TV -- or so I thought. PC gamers like to ***** about people preferring consoles, but getting even my desktop to display in the right resolution on my TV with an HDMI cable was a major chore, and apparently getting a PS3 controller to work on PC is a cluster**** of programs and drivers. And Steam's Big Picture Mode keeps ****ing with me and I can't figure out how to use a PS4 controller without it being plugged in and it keeps turning on my PS4 and I have to switch to that input on my TV to turn it off and then I can't get my PC to show up on my TV again and GDI all. I blame PC gamers for making me think any of this would be easy or worth it -- next nerd I see, I'm knocking him down and taking his money.

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'

Life's too short to spend feeding plastic into a tiny little clip thing. "Tuck it and **** it" is my motto when it comes to bread bags. Also applies to picking up the morning newspaper when it's too early to be wearing pants.

Anyway, everybody here should play the Trails of Cold Steel games, from the Legend of Heroes series, available on Playstation 3 and Playstation Vita. Or maybe not, because the third game isn't even out in Japan yet, and who knows how long it'll take to localize, and I'm already feeling antsy about needing to play it. So, next best thing, I went back to play the Trails in the Sky games, which are older and set in the same world (tbh, I should have started there, since I bought the first one on PSN years ago but never started it). But it turns out that the PC version of the first Sky game has been updated with new translation, plus the third is only on PC, etc., so I decided to finally get on Steam to play that, plus I could hook it up on my TV -- or so I thought. PC gamers like to ***** about people preferring consoles, but getting even my desktop to display in the right resolution on my TV with an HDMI cable was a major chore, and apparently getting a PS3 controller to work on PC is a cluster**** of programs and drivers. And Steam's Big Picture Mode keeps ****ing with me and I can't figure out how to use a PS4 controller without it being plugged in and it keeps turning on my PS4 and I have to switch to that input on my TV to turn it off and then I can't get my PC to show up on my TV again and GDI all. I blame PC gamers for making me think any of this would be easy or worth it -- next nerd I see, I'm knocking him down and taking his money.

But haste makes waste!

And yeah, now that u mention it, who do those PC gamers think they are always tryin to complicate things, keepin us console gamers down!

Why I outta... beat em with my bread bag! Keeps the bread soft and lets em know whos boss. Oh, but I do wonder how many slices in a bag would be enough for a proper beating. Too little, and they won't take me seriously...too much and I might really do some permanent damage. I don't wanna hurt em too bad, just let em know how I feel via wheat assisted whacks.

The Admiral

Just like usual.

To each their own, I guess. I didn't really have trouble with those things, although I kind of had trouble with the whole "don't have my PC anywhere where I could see a TV worth anything, and setting that up would require moving the keyboard and mouse over for some games (I'd love to say "Yeah, you try playing Dota with a controller," but I won't, because you should never try playing Dota). Not gonna happen. The one time I did try it, though, it actually switched over just fine, which surprised me. I haven't had the issue you've mentioned with the PS4 controller re: turning the console back on.

That said, I approve of knocking nerds down and taking their money. Shove them into lockers if possible, too. (also **** Steam Big Picture Mode)

Also, the next Trails of Cold Steel will probably not take as long to come out as Kingdom Hearts 3. Apparently that and the FF7 remake are finally launching in three years. Yeah, you just keep on believing that, Nomura.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
PC gamers don't get also LEs like the this

http://gematsu.com/2017/05/senran-kagura-peach-beach-splash-limited-edition-announced-north-america

"No Shirt, No Shoes, All Service” LE for Peach Beach Splash. I'm throwing my money at the screen

It doesn't say it's Xseed online store exclusive, so I could get this on Amazon like Estival Versus, yeah? If so, hopefully Amazon puts it up soon. Will be joining Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age and Dragon Quest XI PS4 import (and already Persona 5 Take Your Heart Edition) as the only games I'll buy at launch this year.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
It doesn't say it's Xseed online store exclusive, so I could get this on Amazon like Estival Versus, yeah? If so, hopefully Amazon puts it up soon. Will be joining Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age and Dragon Quest XI PS4 import (and already Persona 5 Take Your Heart Edition) as the only games I'll buy at launch this year.

Yeah. Since Xseed only releases one edition of SK games that's the version every store will get. I'm using prime to get mine

The Admiral

PC gamers don't get also LEs like the this

http://gematsu.com/2017/05/senran-kagura-peach-beach-splash-limited-edition-announced-north-america

"No Shirt, No Shoes, All Service” LE for Peach Beach Splash. I'm throwing my money at the screen

So, exactly the same thing as every other limited edition but with more shameless anime titties?

To each their own, I guess. To be fair, the Sonic Mania special edition I pre-ordered is probably not available for PC, either, but your average PC gamer probably doesn't care about consoles to such an extent that they wouldn't be interested in it (since most of its bonus doodads are modeled after the old Sega Genesis).

The Admiral

Sonic Mania looks good because it's being done mostly by Christian Whitehead, the guy who did the shockingly-faithful 2011 port of Sonic CD, which was already probably the best game in the series. If the usual Sonic Team goons were working on it, it'd be a trash fire.