• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
i think it's sick as all hell that #spp-misc is still mentioned in the topic title here

my legacy is a surprise to be sure

but a welcome one

also just gonna remind everyone that this thread existed once

Stay Strong, Ethan

gotta do that every couple of years

lol, I remember this. I can't believe we all believed that Ethan was gay!

I'm just dropping in to say that if you haven't played Nier: automata, you should.

You can run over nationalistic robots with a moose. The kinky bondage get ups the main characters wear might make most people go "Nah" but it really is a great game.

Not Automata, but I just placed my order for the original Nier, which I'll probably (maybe) play when it gets here. Cost $35, but it was $45 a few months ago when I posted about it here. Advantage: me.

Nier and Breath of the Wild are my top two games of the year, and I honestly can't decide which is better.

I really wanna get Breath of the Wild, but I figure I'm better off just waiting until I can get a Switch. Can't believe they're still sold out (as far as I can tell). I knew I'd get one eventually, so I should have pre-ordered, but I thought that there was no way in hell a Nintendo console would be popular. Which, I think, is a defensible stance.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Nintendo is doing... something with supply. Mostly "sucking," apparently, which is why I'm not counting my chances of getting a SNES Mini for the $80 price tag as likely.

Anyway, I have considered getting a Switch, because I feel like it would be best to get Breath of the Wild fast because the space of time in which it will be available used for even slightly below recommended retail price is probably, like, five days, but also, even though it looks like a solid game (what I'm seeing is making me think Jim Sterling is on the money), every time I hear people talk about it I find myself hating it a little more. Blah blah blah hype backlash is probably not healthy but I don't care. (On the other hand, Nier Automata lives up to the hype and then some.)

I suppose the other problem is that I don't know what else is even on the Switch, or will be on it, that would hook me, Metroid Prime 4 aside.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I hope to preorder a SNES classic if I can. I would rather not buy one from a scalper once they go for $500 dollars.

I actually found a NES classic at the store weeks after they released. I got extremely lucky finding it.

Kurloz Makara

Red Death
I think BOTW is practically the first LOZ game I actually want to play.

Must be the open-world thing. I love games like that.

Now if only I can afford a Switch...

The Admiral

I hate open-world games as a general rule, so I'm not hugely sold on BotW, but I think Nier Automata was an actually pretty good interpretation of the idea. On the other hand, it was also couched in good content otherwise, and Breath of the Wild...

Eh, fine, **** it, I'm not sold on Zelda in general in the post-Twilight Princess world. I went back and started playing through Wind Waker (GC version, I don't have a Wii U) again recently, though, and that game's pretty ace, better than I gave it credit for (although it still has issues, and I haven't gotten to the Triforce Quest itself yet).

Spock

Live Long & Prosper
i think it's sick as all hell that #spp-misc is still mentioned in the topic title here

my legacy is a surprise to be sure

but a welcome one

also just gonna remind everyone that this thread existed once

Stay Strong, Ethan

gotta do that every couple of years

this thread's dead man, remember when it was new posts every 10 minutes at one point?

Ugh. So, I did a dumb thing today and am looking for whatever validation from the internet I can get get - or have a mob of people also confirm that I did a dumb thing. Whichever, really. I was about to get hired on with this pretty sweet job, as far as low income jobs go. It was an asleep overnight position working at a group home. You get paid to show up and sleep, how much sweeter of a gig do you get? Ofcourse, there's a whole bunch of online training nonsense you have to go through first. Luckily, I've worked in healthcare before, years in fact, so I was familiar with all the material. I fast forwarded through some of the videos that went over information I already knew and 100% passed all of the exams. I got called into a room and they told me that I couldn't continue with employment because the DHS actually requires 30 hours minimum of online training before you can continue. I clocked in at about 27.

On one hand, I get the obvious. I should have watched the videos all the way through for practical purposes - like if I forgot something , but on the other hand I am kind of annoyed that it wasn't made clear at all that you had to reach an approximate thirty hour mark or else. We were just told that we'd be given thirty hours of training and that's it. How was I supposed to know that if they didn't tell me? If they had made that known I don't think anyone would be brave enough to fast forward. Whatever, I guess. :( It just sucks. Moral of the story: even if it seems like you can get away with something, assume that you can't.

Last edited:

Navin

MALDREAD
Ugh. So, I did a dumb thing today and am looking for whatever validation from the internet I can get get - or have a mob of people also confirm that I did a dumb thing. Whichever, really. I was about to get hired on with this pretty sweet job, as far as low income jobs go. It was an asleep overnight position working at a group home. You get paid to show up and sleep, how much sweeter of a gig do you get? Ofcourse, there's a whole bunch of online training nonsense you have to go through first. Luckily, I've worked in healthcare before, years in fact, so I was familiar with all the material. I fast forwarded through some of the videos that went over information I already knew and 100% passed all of the exams. I got called into a room and they told me that I couldn't continue with employment because the DHS actually requires 30 hours minimum of online training before you can continue. I clocked in at about 27.

On one hand, I get the obvious. I should have watched the videos all the way through for practical purposes - like if I forgot something , but on the other hand I am kind of annoyed that it wasn't made clear at all that you had to reach an approximate thirty hour mark or else. We were just told that we'd be given thirty hours of training and that's it. How was I supposed to know that if they didn't tell me? If they had made that known I don't think anyone would be brave enough to fast forward. Whatever, I guess. :( It just sucks. Moral of the story: even if it seems like you can get away with something, assume that you can't.

Rather idiotic rule if an individual can be trained and pass all of them exams under 30 hours. If they really wanted to have 30 hours of training, maybe not leave it to online videos and exams then. Whatever, that sucks, but perhaps it was a blessing in disguise to not work for them.

The Admiral

So, Chester Bennington, lead singer of Linkin Park, took his own life early today or perhaps late yesterday.

I know we bag on Linkin Park a lot, but they, alongside a lot of other bands, did a pretty good job expressing the frustration associated with growing up around that period.

Ugh. Words are hard about **** like this.

I'd think it would be a rule that they'd have to tell you that. Especially for a government thing.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
People bagged on Linkin Park because of the million and a half anime AMVs that used their songs.

Also the misc discord is active, but discord kinda combines several different chat stuff for a really good structure.

I heard about Chester Bennington last night, but I didn't really wanna say much until now. Linkin Park wasn't my all-time favourite band, but I did really like their stuff, and the meme that was created out of their more edgy songs was one of the ones that made me laugh the most, so the fact that this happened impacted me a decent amount. My sister loved their stuff though, so she was more upset than I was about what happened. Rest in peace Chester.

Thanks everybody, that makes me feel slightly less invalid.

I'm sorry to hear about Chester. I was never a big Linkin Park fan but even though I didn't listen to them my brain still assigns them a certain amount of nostalgia, namely from friends in middle-school who thought they were all the rage.

In recent news, I've been playing through Shin Megami Tensei IV and while I like the game, I feel it drags on too much. The main story is 40 hours or so but you'll be playing a lot longer grinding and finding the right monsters to fuse. I'm at the part where I have to become the champion (Which presumably means do a **** ton of challenge quests until your number one on the ranking) before the main story line can progress and am thoroughly annoyed. I just want to be done already.

Last edited:

Zazie

So 1991
Whatever, I guess. :( It just sucks. Moral of the story: even if it seems like you can get away with something, assume that you can't.

That's *swear filter activated* Is there no way you can't go back and get the 3 hours in?

I actually had training the other week for a new job. Substitute teaching. We had to explain to some people that you are not supposed to touch the kids, even if they try to give you a hug. I don't get what's difficult about the concept. But yeah, it's a pretty okay job, it pays a livable amount per hour and is mostly relaible when it comes to hours, outside holidays and breaks. Moving on up in the world. ALso means I got about a month of summer vacation before I start working, lot of pressure to make it count.

Now that I am going to have an income again and a somewhat decent job, I can focus more on the things that matter, like making music and other creative/multimedia stuff. Or maybe improving my social life, I don't know, I think I need to meet more people I actually have stuff in common with.

So, Chester Bennington, lead singer of Linkin Park, took his own life early today or perhaps late yesterday.

I know we bag on Linkin Park a lot, but they, alongside a lot of other bands, did a pretty good job expressing the frustration associated with growing up around that period.

Quite honestly Linkin Park is one of the best acts on mainstream radio. That's not saying too much, but I have yet to hear bad song from them that makes me want to change the station, most of them decent at worst, and yeah that includes Crawling. Of course it sucks about Chester regardless of their music anyways.

Also this is a monument of animation history

Last edited:

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
Thanks everybody, that makes me feel slightly less invalid.

I'm sorry to hear about Chester. I was never a big Linkin Park fan but even though I didn't listen to them my brain still assigns them a certain amount of nostalgia, namely from friends in middle-school who thought they were all the rage.

In recent news, I've been playing through Shin Megami Tensei IV and while I like the game, I feel it drags on too much. The main story is 40 hours or so but you'll be playing a lot longer grinding and finding the right monsters to fuse. I'm at the part where I have to become the champion (Which presumably means do a **** ton of challenge quests until your number one on the ranking) before the main story line can progress and am thoroughly annoyed. I just want to be done already.

Yeah I was pretty annoyed that after getting to a certain part of the game, you HAD to complete certain sidequests to proceed. Thankfully it's only a few and they pass by relatively fast. Some of them also set up some backstory for SMT IV Apocalypse, so it's not entirely a waste of time.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
I suppose the other problem is that I don't know what else is even on the Switch, or will be on it, that would hook me, Metroid Prime 4 aside.

Yeah, that's the other big reason I haven't made a huge effort to get one yet. Some definitely-intriguing titles on their way, but I don't see much else at the moment. I saw something about Best Buy and Target getting new shipments in today, but they're not available online, and I don't feel like going to a store to get one (partially due to incredible laziness, but also because neither of them list any in-store stock on their website, so I don't want to take a trip for one specific thing and risk not coming away with it).

It seems arbitrary. Unless there was a reason for you to be expected to know to hit 30 hours, I declare horseshit.

Ugh. Words are hard about **** like this.

I've actually liked Linkin Park for a long time (well, Hybrid Theory and Meteora, anyway... I think "Bleed It Out" is their only other track I willingly listen to), but at the same time, if I ever listen to them too closely by accident, I always start thinking, "Man, they are so bad." From videos I've seen of their live performances, Chester struck me as Axl Rose-esque, for lack of a better term.

Anyway, I try to not judge the way people live their lives, or not live them in this case, so I always struggle to generate sympathy for people who decide to kill themselves. Terrible for the family, friends, and literally millions of fans he left behind, but it is what it is.

It's really a shame that King of the Hill wasn't one of the animated shows FOX decided to keep on the air for decades past its prime, come hell or high water. (or is it a good thing?)

I actually had training the other week for a new job. Substitute teaching. We had to explain to some people that you are not supposed to touch the kids, even if they try to give you a hug. I don't get what's difficult about the concept.

I'm sure the concept itself isn't difficult but when it comes to hugs in particular, it's not the easiest thing to distance yourself from your compassionate instincts. If a student was having a bad day and wanted to give me a hug I know I would have a difficult time saying "I'm sorry, I would, but our school is paranoid about being sued."

I don't know. The world sucks. It's just another one of those cases where bad people have ruined things for everyone, not at all disimilar to students getting suspended for playing with imaginery finger guns because there has happened to be a lot of disturbed students who have shot up their fellow classmates.

Yeah I was pretty annoyed that after getting to a certain part of the game, you HAD to complete certain sidequests to proceed. Thankfully it's only a few and they pass by relatively fast. Some of them also set up some backstory for SMT IV Apocalypse, so it's not entirely a waste of time.

I'm just hoping the red knight quest isn't mandatory. I don't have anything that can't be K'O'd in two turns and I don't feel like grinding to freaking level 90 something to kill his final form. I thought I was clever lining my team up resistances but you know, megidola happened. Matrakarn should deflect that, dammit. *sigh* In my opinion the game is a grindy piece of ****, but somehow, you don't mind because the fact that you get to make newer and cooler fusions distracts you from that.

Anyway, I try to not judge the way people live their lives, or not live them in this case, so I always struggle to generate sympathy for people who decide to kill themselves. Terrible for the family, friends, and literally millions of fans he left behind, but it is what it is.

It's certainly a lose lose situation for everyone involved. It's always struck me as odd, though, that the person who wants to take their life because of internal suffering is seen as the selfish one and not the people that expect them to continue suffering because of how it would make them feel. Ass backwards, if you ask me. Considering 90% of people who commit suicide have an untreated mental illness, it shouldn't be seen as any different to losing a battle with cancer or something like that. Let's be serious, too. We don't make the world an easy place for people who are feeling suicidal, often when they do reach out for help they're punished and percieved as being weak by the people they seek help from. I know I've experienced this, not with thoughts of suicide in particular, but certainly depression and hopelessness.

If we aren't fans of suicide then we should change our perspective away from "Everyone's got problems, handle your ****."

Last edited:

Zazie

So 1991
It's certainly a lose lose situation for everyone involved. It's always struck me as odd, though, that the person who wants to take their life because of internal suffering is seen as the selfish one and not the people that expect them to continue suffering because of how it would make them feel. Ass backwards, if you ask me.

100% agreement on this.

People have every right to commit suicide, it's their life not yours. Your job isn't to stop them from doing it by any means nessecary, it's to help them with whatever issue is causing them to be suicidal. Mental helth stuff should really be focused on the cause first and foremost then the symptoms. It's pretty absurd for me an untrained person to disagree with trained psychologists, but I don't think the DSM's methods of diagnosing based on symptoms is able to nessecarily help in all situations.

And to put a little context, I say this as someone who has had to deal with a suicidal person. And as someone who has (had?) metnal health issues as well. (I wasn't suicidal though)

The Admiral

It's certainly a lose lose situation for everyone involved. It's always struck me as odd, though, that the person who wants to take their life because of internal suffering is seen as the selfish one and not the people that expect them to continue suffering because of how it would make them feel. Ass backwards, if you ask me. Considering 90% of people who commit suicide have an untreated mental illness, it shouldn't be seen as any different to losing a battle with cancer or something like that. Let's be serious, too. We don't make the world an easy place for people who are feeling suicidal, often when they do reach out for help they're punished and percieved as being weak by the people they seek help from. I know I've experienced this, not with thoughts of suicide in particular, but certainly depression and hopelessness.

100% agreement on this.

People have every right to commit suicide, it's their life not yours. Your job isn't to stop them from doing it by any means nessecary, it's to help them with whatever issue is causing them to be suicidal. Mental helth stuff should really be focused on the cause first and foremost then the symptoms. It's pretty absurd for me an untrained person to disagree with trained psychologists, but I don't think the DSM's methods of diagnosing based on symptoms is able to nessecarily help in all situations.

And to put a little context, I say this as someone who has had to deal with a suicidal person. And as someone who has (had?) metnal health issues as well. (I wasn't suicidal though)

I took a moment to think about this, because it's a good point (and one that I listed when I wrote a post re: Bennington offsite -- won't link it publicly bc it has my real name attached to it), and I think the argument goes something like this every time:

"Don't kill yourself. (A. argument) It's the most selfish thing you can do. (B1. reasoning) There are people out there who love you. (B2. reasoning for reasoning)"

Which is all well and good (although, it must be said, pretty selfish on the part of people who love you), but what if the only way they show it is through various unpleasant ways, e.g. violence? What if that doesn't matter because the rest of the world hates you (or at least it feels like they do)? In the case of Bennington in particular, keep in mind that he and Mike Shinoda shared lyrics-writing duties for what I'm assuming to be all of Linkin Park's career up until now (I'm assuming they're not going to go on too much past this, either, but I digress). I know bobjr pointed out that people like us bag on them for all their use in garbage AMVs, but let's talk about all the older people who complained about how "whiny" they were. Young folk can, and often do, have real problems in their lives! Something something almost like the entire previous generation has abusive tendencies huh

(I mean, I also think there's the whole thing where I think people are like "well it's clearly not selfless therefore it MUST be selfish" because thinking of the concept of shades of gray reminds them of a certain book and makes them want to hurl)

I don't want to get too deep into my history with suicidal ideation, except that I've had. moments. and in retrospect, a lot of people were really insensitive about it, but I was trained to not see it that way. (also let's not get into the fact that the very few mental health folks I've spoken to have been unbelievably shitty when it comes to help with things like this because apparently I'm not allowed to have mental health issues because I was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome when I was ten -- kind of related to the mechanistic way in which mental health stuff is treated, I guess)

Last edited: