• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Also one thing people fail to realize is suicidal people aren't the most rational thinkers, but in the same way focus on being too rational. A lot of them want help, but are worried about people just either rejecting them or passing it off or saying what they have isn't bad or something along those lines. So you run into more issues where either you think you aren't worth it or that you shouldn't feel this way, but this the only way you can feel, and it's just a spiral from there.

Anyone who says it's selfish is right, but for the completely wrong reasons. Because someone eventually feels so tormented that it becomes the only option for them, and while people say they would have helped, were they given the option already? They might have been given subtle hints that were either brushed off or missed. So it's just a messy thing in general, and what studying this a part of a degree has taught me is the biggest solution is to teach people that feeling like this isn't wrong, and that you should be open about this so you can get professional and personal help. Telling someone who wants to kill themselves that "this is wrong and you need fixed" or "That person who killed themselves wasn't thinking of others enough" really doesn't work.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I've been listening to Linkin Park since I was a young teenager. I've always liked Chester and Mike Shinoda. I haven't been too crazy about there newest music, but the news about Chester saddens me. Hybrid Theory and Meteora are fantastic albums. Whenever I go to the gym and workout I still listen to both of those albums.

Mike Shinoda is a brilliant rapper and I shan't hear otherwise.

Also listen to Turisas in the gym for maximum gains.

Trust me I'm a doctor.

Zazie

So 1991
Last edited:

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
That's a pretty decent song. The most I can say about Mike Shinoda in the overall though is that I find it really entertaining, for reasons beyond me, that his name can fit into the same cadence as "My Sharona." He's... decent, I guess. Doesn't seem either great or terrible.

That synth's pretty neat, though.

Zazie

So 1991
That's a pretty decent song. The most I can say about Mike Shinoda in the overall though is that I find it really entertaining, for reasons beyond me, that his name can fit into the same cadence as "My Sharona." He's... decent, I guess. Doesn't seem either great or terrible.

THanks a lot for that thought. No sarcasm there either, that really amuses me.

That synth's pretty neat, though.

Yeah, I wish I knew how to do what he is doing. But I can't afford anything like that.

Though I did get to play a $4500 hybrid piano/organ/synth at guitar center today, Nord Stage 2 EX for people who are about details. It was amazing, it was hard to pull myself away.
---

Also as a general warning, if you get kind of freaked out about diseases or medical stuff, don't watch The Big Sick. Good movie, much better than Trainwreck which was pretty ho hum, but it made me feel a bit quesy.

Last edited:

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Whatever you want it to be.

I have a job interview tomorrow. Applied for the same job I have now, just better pay and benefits. Any tips on things to do and say for the interview?

Whatever you want it to be.

I have a job interview tomorrow. Applied for the same job I have now, just better pay and benefits. Any tips on things to do and say for the interview?

Sure. I'm pretty good with interviews, at least I like to think so. Every job I have had an interview for I've made it passed to the hiring process, that must count for something.

I think the most important thing is not to appear too eager. Employers are used to hiring idiots, putting them on the defensive gives the impression of competence and that they're speaking with an equal. Give them the impression that you can take or leave the job and that they're supposed to be selling the position to you and not you selling yourself to them. You don't have to be an arrogant jerk to do this, simply ask them good questions that indicate that you aren't trying to work in a shit hole.

What can you tell me about the team I'll be working with? What are they like? Translation: Is my work environment a gossipy, toxic hellscape?

How well staffed are you? Translation: Am I going to pull teeth whenever I try to get someone to cover my shift if I'm sick or cancel the vacation I had planned for six months because Debbie's cat died and she can't show up?

What's your turn over rate like? If it's high, ask them if that's normal for the field you're going to be working in and if not for them to explain why.

Interviews are every bit about putting your employer in the hot seat as they're putting you in the hot seat, in my opinion. That's just my take on it. Mix these in with some lighter, frilly questions like "What's the most rewarding part of your job?" or "What's most stressful to you in your position?" to personally connect and give yourself a platform to appear more likeable. Interviewers are people too and some are just as nervous to be there as you are, give them openings to talk about themselves. The first rule about people is that they love talking about themselves - if you're ten minutes into the conversation and you've got your employer talking about their dogs, that's a great sign.

It's always hard to say for sure because everyone's different. Some interviewers are friendly and cordial while others like to play the role of the emotionless statue. What questions you ask and how you ask them may depend on how well you can read their character. You have to be a bit of a chameleon.

Last edited:

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
My interview ended an hour ago, and I just now got home (well shopping here, but now back in my side of the island)

^Thanks so much! I asked all 3 questions, got very good responses. But oh man, was I nervous as fudge. I was stuttering, and while I did make sentences, they were a bit Trump-like incoherent nonsense, just not as extreme. To my defense though, there were 3 people in the interview room all judging me. They said they'll notify me by email sometime mid next week if I got it (they're interviewing 6-8 people, and they need 4), will update if I get anything.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
There was a TON of people at the park yesterday trying to catch a Lugia. I know some people don't care to play Pokemon Go, but to see that many people outside playing the game is pretty cool to see.

I've always ran into some pretty great people playing this game. A lot of the people I've ran into are really nice. Last summer there was a guy that let me borrow one of his battery chargers when my phone was about dead. I've never had any bad encounters with anybody. I remember last summer when some young kid caught a Scyther from one of my lures. The kids father thanked me for putting up the lures. They were both very thankful.

Overall I've really enjoyed this game. It's too bad that Pokemon Go Fest didn't go so well.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
, a lot of people were really insensitive about it, )

I can kinda seen why. A little late here but people who had a "worse" upbringing can find hard to sympathize. I know people, myself included who growing up had practically nothing, no permanent residence, no money, had to steal power from the poll and lived without gas and the like.

In short, it's hard for people who grew up with out anything to comprehend why someone who has everything would take their life. Just my 2 cents.

Also the Dr Who complainers are just egh

Even assuming that people with comfortable lives who committ suicide are just lesser than you, that wouldn't exempt them from sympathetic thought. What an ugly place it would be if we only ever felt bad about our equals suffering. Hardship encompasses much more than money, too.

^Thanks so much! I asked all 3 questions, got very good responses. But oh man, was I nervous as fudge. I was stuttering, and while I did make sentences, they were a bit Trump-like incoherent nonsense, just not as extreme. To my defense though, there were 3 people in the interview room all judging me. They said they'll notify me by email sometime mid next week if I got it (they're interviewing 6-8 people, and they need 4), will update if I get anything.

We've all been there. Three people, though? That sounds like you may have snagged something pretty professional. Good luck!

I'm really happy that Mike from PBS idea channel is working with Crashcourse. Any of you watch?

Last edited:

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
We've all been there. Three people, though? That sounds like you may have snagged something pretty professional. Good luck!
Anyone here have had social anxieties and been able to overcome them? I also have stage fright. I'm guessing the pressure of having people I don't know focusing on me in a professional level is something that's hard to shake. I remember I didn't always have it though, it just happened sometime around middle school. Nah, not really a professional level (well, not highly professional pay, but still a good amount above minimum wage). One of the interviewers said the hotel/resort is one of the best in Maui though, so they really have to decide wisely to keep up their reputation.

I see you're excited for Dragonquest 11. I'm pretty stoked about it too. It's one of my favorite series. As for anxiety, that's never been my specific poison, so I'm afraid I couldn't help you much or have advice that's credible and worth considering.

I almost snapped at the anytime fitness manager today. I've been putting off buying a membership since I'm cheap and don't want to fork over the money every month. I've since plateaud with my workouts that I've been doing at home and figured slugging it out with all that equipment is pretty inevitable. I waited outside their facility and tried to call, since their office was advertised as open at 10:00 AM. There was no way to get in at all without someone letting you in, so I waited out in the heat for like an hour in the hopes that someone was late. I even went down to the chamber office and had the lady call the regional manager for me, still nothing. Finally, I said screw it and drove thirty minutes to the next town and signed up there.

Because of the inconvenience that was completely preventable and their fault, I thought it was fair to ask for a discount on the first month or to get the first month free. I made it pretty clear that I'm aware that the manager of this facility I went to may not have that kind of power since it wasn't her store, and that all she had to say was "above my paygrade" but looks me dead in the eye with mocking smirk and asks "And why would we give it to you for free?" after I explained everything.

In that moment I legitimately smiled at the passing thought of dropping a 50 pound dumbell on her face.

Last edited:

bobjr

Staff member
My city has for some reason has had about a dozen gyms pop up in the last year or so. It's weird considering it's Ohio and I thought people went to Ohio to die young.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Not even sure if this is the right place to ask this...

Does anyone know how this age verification/screening thing on Twitter works? I've legit never tried to bother with it till just now.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
Not even sure if this is the right place to ask this...

Does anyone know how this age verification/screening thing on Twitter works? I've legit never tried to bother with it till just now.

Is there some reason you can't lie about your age (if necessary)? That's what The Internet was founded on, after all, and they can't take that away -- it's in the Internet Constitution, iirc

bobjr

Staff member
Twitter doesn't ban nazis but bans people who say Yoshi is a horse. They truly have a morality that's incomprehensible to man.