• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Had a bowl of Lucky Charms this morning without any mlik.

Needless to say it was the worst experience of my life.

Vernikova

Champion
^ Well, Lucky Charms is awful, so it's no surprise that it would be worse without milk.

wow sounds superlame tbh.

Actually, I have at least a dozen books I've been meaning to read, but I usually end up watching Night Court reruns or trolling Paxton Lynch fans. And they say there is no meaning of life.

That sounds better than making one's way through medieval French and Germanic romance actually.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
I can believe that. I mean, Ethan was kind of a dick, frankly.

Obviously I don't agree with that in general, but strictly as a mod, he could be kind of a tightass. Then again, that's almost got to be expected when you're trying to enforce a set of rules that are mostly from 2003. But maybe I'm looking back at that with rose-colored glasses because I do love a good meltdown!

I am pretty high right now, rmember when posters here used to post how high they where?

I had to take some tranquilizers (7.5 pills for different things today) to deal with my needle phobia to get my blood drawn this morning, I was a big girl and didn't put up much of a fuss this time. And I am just messed up all day. MUsic ounds better though, listening to some Black Sabbath, Rush, Uriah Heep, Budgie, etc. and it all sounds a bit better when you're a bit hazed out. I'd bust out my guitar, but it's late at night and the new neighbors have small children.

Not that I am telling people to go take this stuff, because I am have been a bit quesy and disoriented today, it's not exaclty fun, and I am missing new magic set prerelease, which could have been an opportunity to be social. (notmally it isn't but this game store's crowd is a bit different)

It is crazy that people used to feel like this was the place to be (online) when they were drunk/high. I actually don't get high because my mind is overactive and weird enough as-is, but one time I had to get a spinal tap and they drugged me up good. I remember I watched The Empire Strikes Back for the first time in the hospital when the drugs were taking hold, and my mind was absolutely blown when Han Solo used Luke's lightsaber to cut open the space yak and stuff him inside.

It's a bit odd seeing misc get this quiet over the years. It used to be quite lively. And a little bit more hostile.

A lot more hostile in your case, iirc

Why hello Misc, it's been a while hasn't it? Goodness I cannot believe I've been a member of this place for 8 whole years. Just doesn't feel that long at all.

I can only imagine that the club was banned because the members posting inside of it posted stuff that was completely devoid of any meaningful content, something that probably still happens in the clubs (yeah I'm too lazy to click on the clubs link because quite honestly I'll close the tab in 10 or so minutes and not visit the board in its entirety for another 3 months or something)

Wow, 8 years what is your deal? And tbh I can't even imagine what forum posts devoid of content would look like -- thank goodness they put a stop to that!

You could do worse than that, though.

For example, by being the pokephilia club, but I digress.

That was truly the end of an era. I wonder where all those dudes went?

I'm pretty sure it did. At its worst, moderators were closing so many junk news threads that there was only four or five decent topic threads on the front page at a time. It's pretty ugly to come to Misc. and see eight or so closed threads back to back. Not to mention, kinda lame when someone's viable topic gets bumped out of the first page for "Area man has eleven toes"

I guess I just have different feelings on these things than most people. More laissez-faire. If a forum isn't dead, sucky topics will just naturally fall off the page as long as a clueless op isn't bumping them or something. Even a dumb topic is salvageable if people put good posts in it.

I've seen a lot of dicks, but never one I would describe as brilliant. One day.

Sherlock Holmes.

Curious thing about being a mod, supermod, admin, whatever... is the disassociation one gets from being in a position of power and authority over others. Incidents such as the Ethan meltdown happen as more of an uncommon inevitability than an anomalous circumstance. Mods need friends and people to support them to keep them grounded, level-headed. Otherwise... well, in most normal circumstances they'll quietly resign and admit depression, exhaustion, discouragement, you get the idea. Then you get those more proactive ragequits where the person resigning from the community wants to burn down everything within reach. It's morbidly funny when a normal person does it because their damage is minimal and can be reversed in a few commands. But when an admin does it, it gets messy.

I'm not trying to make a point here, though it is cathartic describing all the things that made former co-workers break down around me over time.

There's definitely a tendency for cool people to become dicks when they're put in positions of authority.

Anyway, I think my favorite ragequit was Latios'. He didn't exactly do anything, but he left and took all his posts with him, which, because he'd written a lot of the important stickies/rule threads/etc., was actually a pretty big deal.

Nerd culture has definitely come back. When I was 12 in middle school we got made fun of for trading Pokemon in the bathroom.

I don't remember the exact year, but it was probably about a year or so after Pokemon's zenith, and I was doing an art project in elementary school. I was just decorating the border of my drawing with logos and symbols of things I liked, and this one girl saw me draw some Pokeballs, and she was like, "OH MY GOD DUDE I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU STILL LIKE POKEMON!" Like, literal months after everyone was trading cards and playing games on the playground.

Maybe I'm just in a weird area -- I don't know many, if any, people who are into nerd culture, and I strongly suspect that most people I know would still have a similar reaction to her today.

But in today's Serebiiforums, there aren't very many active members, computers have come a long way since then, and this forum style is quite old. I tend to see newer forums running on Xenforo instead of vBulletin. The only device I've ever seen having issues with a Xenforo format is a 3DS.

The biggest negative I can come up with as a devil's advocate against custom avatars is the staff would have another thing they have to watch out for.

I've honestly never heard of Xenforo -- if I've seen it, I probably still like vBulletin better, because it's my favorite format. And the avatar moderation does seem like a possible concern, but somehow hundreds of other forums manage it, so I'm not sure how difficult it can really be. Same for rep, come to think of it. Remember when we briefly got rep back? Man, that was a cool... like, month and a half.

The funny thing is that several years ago we'd all be warned to change the topic, and or to PM a moderator or post in the suggestions thread with your concerns. It's nice we can just speak out in the open like this.

Ain't no rules in the hinterlands.

If custom avatars were allowed, I could use anime girl avatars. Or a selfie with overused snapchat filters over it. I feel like those describe the two types of people out there pretty succinctly. I use both for my profile pics on facebook.

I have actually been pretty content with pokemon avatars though. Custom ones are nice, butI don't need them or anything.

I wish we had custom avatars, but even if we did, I think I'd stick with the Pokepiper here. He gets me.

I don't make my bed ever. But I also refuse to eat in bed, which has spawned more than one argument in the past week.

Seems like the literal opposite of what you would usually argue about.

That sounds better than making one's way through medieval French and Germanic romance actually.

Well... so do most things. Are you being punished for something?

I guess I just have different feelings on these things than most people. More laissez-faire. If a forum isn't dead, sucky topics will just naturally fall off the page as long as a clueless op isn't bumping them or something. Even a dumb topic is salvageable if people put good posts in it.

I can't say your sentiments are completely unjustified.. The qeue in the debate forum awhile back nearly killed it. My view is probably skewed considering that I don't have much interest in visiting other forums aside from this one. Part of it is nostalgia and habit, ofcourse. I've simply been here for a long time, but also because I haven't been so engrossed in a video game series (even if I am not now) like pokemon to the point I felt like joining a community around it.

Sherlock Holmes.

The first image in my mind was actually a Sun God penis, but I'm ****ed up. This works too.

I just recently got employed, which is nice. I was surprised to see that the employer actually gave me the eighty cents more on the hour that I asked for. I suppose that goes to show you that you'll never know unless you don't try? Perhaps dumb luck. Who can say? At any rate, I am very excited to blow all my income on dating as I have this past summer.

Last edited:

Zazie

So 1991
Obviously I don't agree with that in general, but strictly as a mod, he could be kind of a tightass. Then again, that's almost got to be expected when you're trying to enforce a set of rules that are mostly from 2003. But maybe I'm looking back at that with rose-colored glasses because I do love a good meltdown!

It is crazy that people used to feel like this was the place to be (online) when they were drunk/high. I actually don't get high because my mind is overactive and weird enough as-is, but one time I had to get a spinal tap and they drugged me up good. I remember I watched The Empire Strikes Back for the first time in the hospital when the drugs were taking hold, and my mind was absolutely blown when Han Solo used Luke's lightsaber to cut open the space yak and stuff him inside.

Whenever I am drugged out I tend to sort of be half passed out. I can't really do anything on it, it kind of sucks, I don't find it enjoyable. And I am super lightweight too. So my perscribed tranquilizers*, extra strength nyquil or even just a few ml of Absinthe on an empty stomach will mess with me to a noticable degree. Once I took anesthesia and my tranquilizers for surgery and actually black out again like 2 hours after waking up from surgery. I was watching Raising Hope but couldn't remember what I had seen.

The absinthe thing is a problem because I got a small bottle of it for October. Apparently it's a lot more for me to handle than I thought. I like the taste, I just wish I could get it at a lower proof. It's the only alchol I will drink and only because of taste. Probably going to try and mix it with some Moxie at some point. (that's a soda for those who don't know)

*I only take them in specific circumstances though because they are extremely addictive.
---

I went to a concert last night, KMFDM and ogHr. Nearly everyone there was roughly early middle aged, It felt weird being there, I am not so young myself, but it was a, "man I have old people tastes in music" moment.

Last edited:

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
That was truly the end of an era. I wonder where all those dudes went?

Went off to wanting to bang other video game characters, I guess. I'm told that some people think the flower from Cuphead is sexy and that confuses me deeply.

There's definitely a tendency for cool people to become dicks when they're put in positions of authority.

This is true of most people, so it probably just becomes amplified when you look up to 'em.

I don't remember the exact year, but it was probably about a year or so after Pokemon's zenith, and I was doing an art project in elementary school. I was just decorating the border of my drawing with logos and symbols of things I liked, and this one girl saw me draw some Pokeballs, and she was like, "OH MY GOD DUDE I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU STILL LIKE POKEMON!" Like, literal months after everyone was trading cards and playing games on the playground.

Maybe I'm just in a weird area -- I don't know many, if any, people who are into nerd culture, and I strongly suspect that most people I know would still have a similar reaction to her today.

"Nerd culture" occupies a weird place. People are more than happy to get a reference, but don't you dare actually be interested in that **** if you've graduated high school/college. By then you're expected to have given up your soul and just become a nine-to-five robot-person.

I've honestly never heard of Xenforo -- if I've seen it, I probably still like vBulletin better, because it's my favorite format. And the avatar moderation does seem like a possible concern, but somehow hundreds of other forums manage it, so I'm not sure how difficult it can really be. Same for rep, come to think of it. Remember when we briefly got rep back? Man, that was a cool... like, month and a half.

The irony is that I didn't really see a lot of posts I would necessarily want to just give rep to instead of responding to until after it was gone.

I wish we had custom avatars, but even if we did, I think I'd stick with the Pokepiper here. He gets me.

Just gotta get him at a different angle.

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
Every now and again a random stranger will give me an even more random piece of advice.

Today a stranger told me; "Nobody has all the answers."

I told em "Hmm, you're probably right! Thank you and have a nice night."

What a nice fellow, I hope I see em again!

No, im not kidding, this actually happened. >.<
Have you dudes ever had a stranger tell you something, well, strange? Maybe not somethin absolutely loopy, but somethin that kinda made you felt good that you heard it?

The Admiral

You'd find out just how true that advice was if you asked them who they are and they they're telling you that out of the blue.

The Admiral

Yeah, I meant "why they're telling" blah blah blah.

The joke was that the guy wouldn't tell you anything of use if you asked those questions.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Another thing they killed this forum was Moderation Approved topics.

In theory a good idea, you know, prevents spam and such before it reaches the board. But on the other hand, a lot of people stop making threads in general for fear of it being rejected or being told to post in another mass thread

I dont know if it's still like that but when the 6th Gen Pokemon sections were made every thread in there was a premade thread done by a mod. Apparently since the mods made a mass thread for reletivly everything, people kept getting directed existing threads instead of being about to create their own

I recall something similar happening in the debate forum. People would rather be able to post what they think would be cool or witty or interesting instead of being told no. I guess this goes back to making "general" threads or sections for every topic.

Thats one of the things I like about gamefaqs. You can pretty much post what you want and if it's witty, funny or whatever no one will report it

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Aw man, I almost missed the discussion on old forum drama--well that's what I get for not checking up on this thread. Am actually surprised to see that discussion pop up here because I could've sworn talking about past drama (and banned members) was/is taboo lol, or at least it did after I think 2011's incident. Remember that mess?

God, I'm old. I'm so old, I actually miss stuff like that happening on forums.

Phoopes

There it is.
Well it's been over a year since I've made a post on Serebii. It's cool that there's still some GTC names I recognize.

(this post brought to you by procrastination: for when you should've started working on that paper days ago)

keepitsimple

site of lies
Another thing they killed this forum was Moderation Approved topics.

In theory a good idea, you know, prevents spam and such before it reaches the board. But on the other hand, a lot of people stop making threads in general for fear of it being rejected or being told to post in another mass thread

Or the mod of that section will forget to approve or reject the new threads and nobody else will do it after he leaves staff despite receiving reminders from members

That's basically been Games and Face-Offs for the last four+ months. I wonder if that's going to change at some point or the mods want to aim for a year without a new thread >_>

The Admiral

Look, I at least could argue that it's a good idea for the debate forum because, as a regular reader and poster in the debate forum, I can safely say that it is the worst subforum here and the sooner it is destroyed, the better.

Also, I feel like I have never seen any real moderation happen in Games or Face-Offs, but I haven't been in either of those sections in like five years.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
You've also never seen the debate topics that didn't make approval.

I don't care which Bleach character is the best, because they're all bad except one.

keepitsimple

site of lies
Look, I at least could argue that it's a good idea for the debate forum because, as a regular reader and poster in the debate forum, I can safely say that it is the worst subforum here and the sooner it is destroyed, the better.

I can concur but for me it's bad in an entertaining way and I'd be sad to see it go.

Don't force ur lifestyle on ppl tho
Veganism isn't more ethical than meat production because capitalism tho
Canines tho
We should eat Trump supporters tho
I used to work on a family farm and it was fine tho, most farms are like that tho
Vegans aren't nice tho
Karen tho

Last edited:

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I haven't posted in this thread in a long time. It's good to see this thread still alive.

I can't believe it's October already wow this year has flew by. :O