• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
the worst part of coming back onto this site to get in touch with old friends is finding out they havent been here in 5 years. sucks when you miss someone a lot but cant do anything about it

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
jb have u really watched 285 days of anime?

It's pretty easy to get your life sucked away by waifu garbage. It's like, uh, some kinda demon. Succubus-ish in nature.

I say this considering how many hours of my life I've pissed away on Granblue Fantasy the last few months. (At least I'm not enough of an idiot to spend real money to gamble on it. I already still play Magic, that's enough budgetary stupidity for one human being.)

Oh well. How bout a topic? How bout that... uh, sports team... Actually, I think there was something really interesting that happened in sports news recently, and I can't remember what it was. No, no, it wasn't the Cubs winning the World Series, that was a year ago.

kuzronk

1 Reputation Comment
Watching like a year worth of anime is easy if you mark stuff you seen as a kid like Pokemon,Beyblade etc and aren't into normal TV/Movies.

I miss the old Serebii but I can get why it's dead since forums in general have died more or less.

Abstinence Pistols

I miss the old Serebii but I can get why it's dead since forums in general have died more or less.
Yeah it's weird to look at forum culture + something that was a pretty big part of the Internet for years and years die off and get replaced after spending so much time there.
It's even weirder when you look at the sort of cyclical nature of the Internet and technology and realize that the institutions we have now (Twitter, Facebook, etc) are slowly becoming too big to be replaced (maybe they already have)
And then you log onto the first forum you ever signed up for to see what's new and you realize you joined when you were a middle schooler to try and trade Pokemon with strangers, and now you're a sophomore in college and you haven't touched a Pokemon game in years.

The future freaks me out
Oh well. How bout a topic? How bout that... uh, sports team... Actually, I think there was something really interesting that happened in sports news recently, and I can't remember what it was. No, no, it wasn't the Cubs winning the World Series, that was a year ago.

My city's soccer club might be moving somewhere else, maybe. I probably would know if I enjoyed soccer. Does that count?

Also, if Jb or anyone else actually has watched almost a year of shows, throw some recs my way. I finished The Sopranos last week and I need something to fill the extra hours in my day now.

idk if sandwiches count as desert, but I saw somewhere that Subway is bringing back $5 footlongs, but I think it might only be temporary. It's probably a good idea, though, since that is my (and probably a lot of peoples') high point that I'm willing to pay for one of those things. I think that whole deal was the only reason they got as big as they did in the first place.
That's the only possible reason I can think of. They could offer zero dollar footlongs and I still wouldn't eat at Subway
I guess it's not the worst restaurant available if you're like, at a rest stop and have nothing else but I've pretty much universally had subpar (ha) experiences there

kuzronk

1 Reputation Comment
Yeah it's weird to look at forum culture + something that was a pretty big part of the Internet for years and years die off and get replaced after spending so much time there.
It's even weirder when you look at the sort of cyclical nature of the Internet and technology and realize that the institutions we have now (Twitter, Facebook, etc) are slowly becoming too big to be replaced (maybe they already have)
And then you log onto the first forum you ever signed up for to see what's new and you realize you joined when you were a middle schooler to try and trade Pokemon with strangers, and now you're a sophomore in college and you haven't touched a Pokemon game in years.

I own Ultra Sun but I only played a couple hours so far. Like I barely care about anime and stuff these days and I can't even really listen to music anymore since my ear problems are back. I'm a bit lazy at games and stuff but I keep on buying them.

What type of shows are you into? I could tell you to watch obscure 90s adult animation and weird British comedies like League of Gentlemen but you likely aren't looking for that.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
My personal anime recommendation is Izetta: The Last Witch. If you're like me, you'll never want to watch anime again after that.

Actually, a serious answer would be Gintama if you can find a good a good fansub group (because 50~90% of the jokes do not translate well) or Mobile Suite Gundam 0080.

Or just do what I've been doing and say **** anime and just watch Homestar Runner and Two Best Friends Play Omikron. God, Omikron, what a terrible game. How Bowie got roped into that and ended up with his best song of the 90s used as the game's song for its title scene, I will never know. Maybe David Cage really is the Devil, as he seems to assert throughout the game.

Jb

Tsun in the streets

Josef Stylin

I want to dye
the worst part of coming back onto this site to get in touch with old friends is finding out they havent been here in 5 years. sucks when you miss someone a lot but cant do anything about it

I'm at a really weird fence and very conflicted about it. I still come here once in a while just to get in touch with exactly two people while I already have the rest of my friends on Facebook. So now I'm the only one on that group still here because of two people and while I do like messing around with them it's also kind of the worst because they can't stop browsing this place that died after like 2012/2013(?) and now neither can I because what is letting go of the past. I feel like one of those people that still log on MySpace and that's never going to feel normal.

Last edited:

Rezzo

Occasionally
Yeah, I don't remember either. Of course, I know ****-all about non-Misc sections, so anything's possible, I guess.

I got all grumpy and pouty on the way to work after reading the following that morning:

Wow, 8 years what is your deal? And tbh I can't even imagine what forum posts devoid of content would look like -- thank goodness they put a stop to that!

Mainly because I'm weird kid who overthinks things all the time but now I've learned something as well

Yeah. Somehow. That is almost a year of my life lmao

You could be way more desensitised than what you seem to be from my (terrible) perspective, but maybe you're good at hiding and masking it in the form of burning Xbox 360s and stuff

Last edited:

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
It's pretty easy to get your life sucked away by waifu garbage. It's like, uh, some kinda demon. Succubus-ish in nature.

I can definitely appreciate getting sucked into a show/game/whatever to the point where you're basically freebasing it from start to end. I guess the part I don't get is that I'm also pretty particular about trying to determine beforehand if something will be worth my time, and it seems like you have to be uncritical to actually take that much in. There've been more than a few anime that I was pretty pissed after watching because they were just that bad (in my opinion... the only reason I watched them in the first place was because they were well-received by others). Probably a lot of that is because I usually torrent anime, so you have the time associated with that, plus have to find a good fansub group, etc... maybe it'd be easier to just get a Crunchyroll sub or something so I have access to a bunch and can freely skim through a lot more.

Biggest thing I can think of is that Jerry Richardson is selling the Panthers after being outed as a sexual-harassing racist by Sports Illustrated. Which, while there was a lot of impropriety reported in the story, none of it was incredibly severe to the point that you would expect him to bail the NFL completely (given that he, unlike most current owners, completely created the team and brought it to an unexpected market like Carolina), so there's some speculation that there's more there.

I don't use it, but I was kinda under the impression that Facebook has been gradually slowing down for a few years, now? There are a lot of alternatives for both personal and professional networking. It'll obviously be around for years yet, but I think it'll be superseded by true mobile platforms eventually. As for Twitter, even though I have an account, I still don't get what people use it for? To me, it's to get information from sources that you're interested in (in my case, I follow 15-20 Broncos/NFL reporters), so I'm not sure where using it as an interactive social platform works. A lot of the scummiest internet conversations I've ever seen have been random twitter conversations, so I'm not sure how it's supposed to be functional.

Also, if Jb or anyone else actually has watched almost a year of shows, throw some recs my way. I finished The Sopranos last week and I need something to fill the extra hours in my day now.

Depends on what you like, obviously, but if you haven't seen it, I think How I Met Your Mother is a pretty strong recommendation; it's funny, but also has a lot of serious/compelling plotlines, it's long, and it's on Netflix (afaik).

I'm at a really weird fence and very conflicted about it. I still come here once in a while just to get in touch with exactly two people while I already have the rest of my friends on Facebook. So now I'm the only one on that group still here because of two people and while I do like messing around with them it's also kind of the worst because they can't stop browsing this place that died after like 2012/2013(?) and now neither can I because what is letting go of the past. I feel like one of those people that still log on MySpace and that's never going to feel normal.

tbh, a lot of the reason I'm still around is because of something that kochoupink said a long time ago that resonated with me, saying that this place was like the bar from Cheers, where you go when you want to do... forum things (also, not-Sex Pistols, you should consider watching Cheers). So, aside from having a place where I can write non-sequiturs about my nerdy pastimes, it's also a little bit about keeping the lights on, so to speak.

Though as time goes by, I get the feeling more and more that people force themselves away from their interests to grow up, or w/e, so each day makes it a little more unlikely that any given person would actually want to come back.

I got all grumpy and pouty on the way to work after reading the following that morning:

Mainly because I'm weird kid who overthinks things all the time but now I've learned something as well

Not 100% sure I follow you here, but if you're saying that you were grumpy and pouty from overthinking my post, the "8 years, what's your deal?" thing was a joke (I've been here for TEN). And the "posts devoid of content" comment was me saying that, even if clubs were as spammy as all get-out (which, tbf, they were), the result of cracking down on that meant that nobody posted there, instead of just making so-called "meaningful" posts (which is probably as much of a reason as any that this place is a ghost town; forums were founded on the arts of derailing, trolling, and shitposting).

You could be way more desensitised than what you seem to be from my (terrible) perspective, but maybe you're good at hiding and masking it in the form of burning Xbox 360s and stuff

Man, that was awesome. jb, blow up an iPhone X pls

Anyway, I finally set up my Switch and have started playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I'm only 5-10 hours in (technically 20, but I waste so much time either leaving the system running or pointlessly exploring everything I can before advancing the story that I assume a normal person would have a fraction of that), and it's alright, but I feel like I'll probably end up liking the other two Xenoblade games better.

Last edited:

Rezzo

Occasionally
Not 100% sure I follow you here, but if you're saying that you were grumpy and pouty from overthinking my post, the "8 years, what's your deal?" thing was a joke (I've been here for TEN). And the "posts devoid of content" comment was me saying that, even if clubs were as spammy as all get-out (which, tbf, they were), the result of cracking down on that meant that nobody posted there, instead of just making so-called "meaningful" posts (which is probably as much of a reason as any that this place is a ghost town; forums were founded on the arts of derailing, trolling, and shitposting).

Pretty much spot on, I just thought you were being bitterly sarcastic and I couldn't figure out why (your profile join date + not knowing that you actually don't visit other subforums)

@ Rezzo what genre of shows are you into

Pretty much anything mind**** and/or ambiguous so stuff like Lain, Evangelion but I'll give most stuff a go

If you mean non-anime then yeah pretty much anything mind**** and/or ambiguous like Twin Peaks and a lot of British sitcoms

All y'all should watch the Father Ted Christmas special if you haven't seen it.

Vernikova

Champion
I've finally been baptized today. I almost cried in front of everyone, so I didn't say very much. I was very surprised at it, but I felt very happy, and my journey of re-conversion finally "ended" today and a new journey has begun.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
I'm 95 hours into Xenoblade 2, only on chapter 6 lol. Lots of **** to do, Nia is best girl

Yeah, Nia is probably my favorite character. Context for other people: jb likes the catgirl lol

Anyway, I finally finished it tonight. Should probably finish all the other late-game stuff, but 9/10 times I completely lose my drive for a game when I finish the story (or when it's getting close to the end), and this is definitely one of those times. Anyway, about the ending:
It sucked.

At least the very last scene did. I hate that ****. I've seen mentions of incoming story DLC, but I doubt it changes the ending.

I assume you seen the staples like Higurashi, Ookami Kakushi, Umineko, and others like, Another, Now and Then, Here and There?

I've mentioned that Umineko is an amazing story, but isn't the anime maladapted, half-complete garbage? Another is also maybe my least favorite anime I've ever watched. Higurashi is good, though.

I've finally been baptized today. I almost cried in front of everyone, so I didn't say very much. I was very surprised at it, but I felt very happy, and my journey of re-conversion finally "ended" today and a new journey has begun.

Oh, congratulations! I don't remember much from my baptism tbh.

Forbidden Snowflake

take it out on me
Has anyone read 4321 by Paul Auster? I ask for no spoilers but I've been listening to the audio version of it and there's something I didn't get there;
At some early part he says that Stanley died from the fire in his shop, but then later he still appears in the plot, and the year has already passed from the time of his death iirc..

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I decided to do the /r/RoastMe thing on Reddit, and was sorely disappointed.

I was expecting the roasts to be brutal, but the only thing brutal was their poor attempts.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
I decided to do the /r/RoastMe thing on Reddit, and was sorely disappointed.

I was expecting the roasts to be brutal, but the only thing brutal was their poor attempts.

I had seen some amusing ones shared around the internet, so I stopped by there one time. Pretty awful; most of them were the same generic comments that didn't have anything to do with the specific person. DIS-A-POINTING