• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

Vernikova

Champion
Wow, a big change since I've been gone. I can now get an anime avy like I've always wanted.

Oh, congratulations! I don't remember much from my baptism tbh.

Yeah, it was a prety big moment for me. I almost cried in front of the congregation.

So I heard a lot of people are leaving pokecommunity after learning the webmaster is a registered sex offender and he was also accused of pocketing donation money people gave to improve the site.

#PCIsOverParty (?)

I don't blame people for leaving, ew

That sucks to hear.

Peter Quill

star-lord
I love how many anime avatars there are now that custom is enabled.

I'm laughing at myself because I really should have realized this would be the outcome. No judgement or anything I just find it so funny, but of course this is a pokemon forum of all places so why should I have been expecting otherwise?

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Oh yeah just glancing out Smogon and the VGC crowd there are people with anime avatars everywhere there. Even on Showdown you've got some people with anime characters for custom avatars. It's a pretty natural correlation between Pokemon fans and anime but no matter where you go you'll get people criticizing people for it.

The amusing part though is always when you find out later that they've since become more hardcore anime fans than the people they judged for using anime avatars.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I'd use an anime avatar if i could find an anime style picture of ← this guy ← or if I could settle on a good one in general. I haven't watched any anime in a while and the main anime-related media I've been consuming lately is Granblue Fantasy, where the character designs are... uh, all over the board.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
So we got custom avatars? ****ing finally.

Agreed. Similar to how XCX is the best Xenoblade game, huh?
X was the worst one. The Waifu selection was almost none existent

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
I'm sorry. Anime is a lifestyle, and you old people just don't understand. (I've actually gotten kinda sick of anime, and only watch the occasional show now, compared to whatever the hell I was doing before.)

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
most anime that are adaptations of manga are not as good as the source material, so that's understandable

also how do i tell me friend to stop talking to me about No Game No Life, i don't care and even what i am being told just... makes me look at it and think "i mean, i guess those are words?"

Peter Quill

star-lord
I haven't watched anime as a hobby for years despite me being a weaboo in high school.

I was just re-watching Utena which I was pleasantly enjoying, though.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
most anime that are adaptations of manga are not as good as the source material, so that's understandable

also how do i tell me friend to stop talking to me about No Game No Life, i don't care and even what i am being told just... makes me look at it and think "i mean, i guess those are words?"
It's also kind of a time thing for me

I mainly play jrpgs and multiplayer games, which take a lot of time. It's easier to read a chapter in 3 minutes than it is to watch a 20 minute episode

That said, some are wildly different from there source like Dragon Ball Super which just finished this week.

It's kinda wierd though because most series don't get recognition until the anime comes out. I've been reading things like Dragon Maid and Mahou Shoujo Site for years and no one seemed to care until they got adaptations

As for ngnl, it's epic so idk, it's kinda hard no to talk about if you recently finished it and it has a second season on the way

Zazie

So 1991
the only anime I watch is the stuff they use in vapourwave music videos. And I don't even really listen to vapourwave.

(not entirely true, occasionally I will watch some new stuff, but for the most part it's all that aesthetic nonsense)

I other news, I came out to my mom this morning. There is probably nothing more awkward than talking about LGBT stuff with your mom.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
I haven't watched anime as a hobby for years despite me being a weaboo in high school.

I think I'm going that way. Most anime isn't great, but the stuff that is great, is great for a reason.

I've seen Utena once, and that was about 2 years ago. A great show, but I can't remember much of it.

Yeah, I have pretty mixed opinions on anime. On one hand, I really love the medium because the emotions expressed in the characters are so vivid and intense. With actors, you have to do take multiple scenes and work really hard to capture the specific emotions that the director wants and sometimes the performance still falls short of the mark. With anime, no such problem exists. The downside is that anime is usually saturated with melodrama.

Anime also fulfills my need to consume fantasy fiction, my favorite brand. Aside from Game Of Thrones popularizing the genre to audiences again, there's really not a whole lot out there for lovers of the genre to sink their teeth into. Before GOT, the big shows were Hercules and Xena Warrior princess, which were pretty cheesy. Shows like supernatural were nice temporary fixes, but I eventually pulled out of them because they can only do so much with a small budget. When all the various monsters and Gods are just regular human actors with slightly reworked eyes or skin tones, it pulls you out a little bit. With anime, you can get pretty much everything. Fully detailed alternate worlds, spiraling towers, fantastic beasts, etc.

I just wish it wasn't so hit and miss. You have to search a long time before you find something really good, with many of them being profoundly disturbing. I was really enjoying the Berserk anime adaptation right up until the tentacle rape scene with evil Griffith. Stuff like that makes me extremely cautious when it comes to trying out new stuff. My favorite to this day though is Fate/Zero.

I also have no idea which anime my avatar is from. I just looked up random images and thought this looked cool.

Zora

perpetually tired
I like anime now and then. Episodes tend to be short (25 minutes at most with usually 3 minutes worth of skippable opening/endings), series tend to be short, and animation allows for what of what would be a special effect in a live-action film to be integrated well. The last one goes double for giant robots, because I love me some giant robots.

But I like the shortness of anime because I don't make a lot of time for TV series (most of my free time goes to games); which is to say I still don't make a lot of time for anime. Still, when I'm in the mood for something more passive, it does an excellent job scratching that itch.

Peter Quill

star-lord
I think I'm going that way. Most anime isn't great, but the stuff that is great, is great for a reason.

I've seen Utena once, and that was about 2 years ago. A great show, but I can't remember much of it.

I'd definitely recommend re-watching it. It's one of those shows that's pretty heavy-handed with it's symbolism, so the second time around you can pick up on things that you didn't notice the first time. Ideally, it's one of those shows you should watch when you're a teenager considering the subject matter (Independence, growing up, gender roles, etc.) so it could have been really, really formative for me had I watched it back when I was 14-15 or so. Not so much when I was 19 and now years later now that I'm 23.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
Oh, I definitely got that. Episode 34, I think?, is a standout episode for that reason. The one where Utena and Akio? are driving down a road for half an episode, I think? I should watch it, but I have other things to focus on. But if we're doing recommendations, I highly recommend both March Comes in Like a Lion, and Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. They're both standout shows from the last few years

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
Wow, a big change since I've been gone. I can now get an anime avy like I've always wanted.

So, what anime is your avvy from? She's kawaii~~ =^_^=

I love how many anime avatars there are now that custom is enabled.

I'm laughing at myself because I really should have realized this would be the outcome. No judgement or anything I just find it so funny, but of course this is a pokemon forum of all places so why should I have been expecting otherwise?

I only use an anime avatar because everyone else is doing it, tbh. Gotta keep up on what's trendy.

X was the worst one. The Waifu selection was almost none existent

I was pretty disappointed in the main story/characters, but pretty much everything else about the game was outstanding, imo (though I feel it's pretty much the first open-world game I've played, so maybe I was easy to impress). Still, I don't think it was as lacking in waifus as you're implying. There was Celica, for one. Also, the chick who sings Melancholia. And H.B.

Yep. Well, any adaptation of anything is generally worse. Still, animes tend to make more unforced errors than most media, in my experience. For some reason, they really want to play into typical tropes.

I see that's ~20 years old. Does it hold up pretty well?

Yeah, I have pretty mixed opinions on anime. On one hand, I really love the medium because the emotions expressed in the characters are so vivid and intense. With actors, you have to do take multiple scenes and work really hard to capture the specific emotions that the director wants and sometimes the performance still falls short of the mark. With anime, no such problem exists. The downside is that anime is usually saturated with melodrama.

Anime also fulfills my need to consume fantasy fiction, my favorite brand. Aside from Game Of Thrones popularizing the genre to audiences again, there's really not a whole lot out there for lovers of the genre to sink their teeth into. Before GOT, the big shows were Hercules and Xena Warrior princess, which were pretty cheesy. Shows like supernatural were nice temporary fixes, but I eventually pulled out of them because they can only do so much with a small budget. When all the various monsters and Gods are just regular human actors with slightly reworked eyes or skin tones, it pulls you out a little bit. With anime, you can get pretty much everything. Fully detailed alternate worlds, spiraling towers, fantastic beasts, etc.

I just wish it wasn't so hit and miss. You have to search a long time before you find something really good, with many of them being profoundly disturbing. I was really enjoying the Berserk anime adaptation right up until the tentacle rape scene with evil Griffith. Stuff like that makes me extremely cautious when it comes to trying out new stuff. My favorite to this day though is Fate/Zero.

This pretty much sums it up for me. Except, while I do like the sci-fi/fantasy stuff, my preferred genres are everyday life and/or school, which, despite being totally plausible to make (usually), just aren't genres covered by western media. Hell, serialized shows are rare in general, and pretty much all of them are serious dramas.

And for being hit-or-miss, that couldn't be more true of animes. I've watched several over the past few months: Barakamon (very good; but loose plot), Charlotte (garbage), Danganronpa 3 (good at times, ends sucky), Golden Time (OK, but characters are bad/shallow; fails to bring plot elements to a cohesive conclusion), Kimi to Boku (pretty good, but some of the worst romance subplots I've ever seen), Kokoro Connect (surprisingly good; sucks that it's only partway adapted), Kids on the Slope (great; the only problem is an unnecessary and dull tumor of a romance subplot), Pet Girl of Sakurasou (OK; interesting concept spattered over with cliches), Your Lie in April (very good; incidentally, OP1 is my favorite opening ever), The Eccentric Family (very good, but the second season just repeats most of the conflicts), and Usagi Drop (pretty good; don't ever read the manga, though). As you can see, even the ones I liked had some sort of flaw or disclaimer. Well, several of them have to do with the source material, I'm sure, but animes tend to play up the oversaturated cliches on their own (like cutting/adding scenes to play up certain characters, relying on repetitive filler plots, etc.)

Peter Quill

star-lord
I see that's ~20 years old. Does it hold up pretty well?

Absolutely. Like I said, Utena is pretty heavy-handed in its symbolism, but it's also really unique in the way that it presents its narrative, to the point where you'll be hard-pressed to find an anime that's entirely similar. The anime I can best compare it to is Evangelion-- The thematic narrative is sort of similar in both anime (flawed characters facing their demons), heaps of symbolism, etc. Utena is a lot more light-hearted, but it forces you to look through the lines to understand the story as a whole.

We tend to have similar taste, so I have a feeling you'd enjoy it.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I'm still pretty big into anime, I've watched too much for my own good, but I haven't been keeping up with modern anime for the most part. I actually am not a big fan of many anime that's come out in the last few years, there's been a few gems, but it's otherwise just dull and not as enjoyable. That's why Your Name's extreme popularity outside of it being a Makoto Shinkai movie annoys the hell out of me and people can't seem to wrap their heads around why I don't like the movie whenever they ask me about it (luckily, it's only been a polite asking, I'm still expecting some weeb to start shrieking at me for not liking it).

Therefore, I've been looking up older anime that's on my PTW list, typically anything from no later than the mid-2000s. (I finished Nerima Daikon Brothers just a couple of days ago, and it's become one of my favorite dubbed anime, like holy hell I was super impressed by it. That's a great example of dubbing songs done right.) I'm a lot happier watching older anime, no matter how crummy they are.

Meanwhile I actually am currently watching Utena, but the first 13 episodes are okay to me. I'm inclined to start calling it Revolutionary Slapfights because of how many times characters slapped Anthy (and sometimes each other) and it's more funny than dramatic. I took a small break because my laptop's old and crappy and it's a pain to watch through the streaming site, let alone download anime directly onto my desktop.