• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

Kreis

Still Dirrty
What is this discord chat? A lot has changed since I was last here.

Plug in the link from the title and be taken away to magical land.

Well, I don't know about magical. There are some pretty interesting conversations but the usual cycle of chit chat goes as follows:

- vidyagames
- animus
- wow donald trump is a d-bag amirite?

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
What's going on in here?
4a03a6605e65f9adb0684458cccd0963.svg

Zora

perpetually tired
This is a random question that's been bothering me and I haven't found a good answer online.

When people say "good social skills," what do they mean exactly?

Or out another way, in what situations do you think person Z needs to improve social skills? Because I hear this advice a lot, usually not directed at me (or anyone in particular), and I'm often confused at what's meant.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
This is a random question that's been bothering me and I haven't found a good answer online.

Or out another way, in what situations do you think person Z needs to improve social skills? Because I hear this advice a lot, usually not directed at me (or anyone in particular), and I'm often confused at what's meant.
I think it is a plethora of things. One of them would be the ability to speak with other people. Specifically, can you speak to people in a calm, poised manner when needed. Things like that.

Speaking as someone who often whines and moans about the poor socials skills of others, I can help with this!

Generally, "good social skills" refers to what is polite and good etiquette in social settings, but mostly casual conversation. Unlce Ted can make a real douche of himself at the wedding but can still have relatively decent social skills. The best way to describe it would be by describing what it isn't, i.e. dominating conversation, interrupting often, blunt/insensitive phrasing, holding on too strongly to any given point or consistently revisiting it - keeping the conversation from moving forward, inability to humor minor inaccuracies with grace, i.e. correcting or nitpicking everything that comes out of someone's mouth, etc, etc.

It's sort of self-explanatory, think of a social setting like a party, conversation, a drink out with friends or a card game in the break room as a boat. Good social skills keep the boat floating, conversation flowing, and tension/aggression between participants at a minimum. Poor social skills would be anything that could possibly rock or sink the boat, bar the rare situations in which the boat needs to be sunk.

Last edited:

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
omg kreis

It means how well you go along with the crowd. Find out what other people are doing/saying, then do that, too.

So, I recently saw that they're making a 3rd season of the A Certain Magical Index anime. I can't recommend it that much because it's kind of a half-assed adaption in the first place, but I'm still excited because it's probably my favorite setting in any media, and seeing it come to life is fun. Also, since my work has me working some BS shifts where they leave me unsupervised, I've taken up reading manga to pad out my hours; I mention this because it's the first time I've seen large numbers of ads on the internet in quite some time. Most of them are what I expected to see, y'know, "Horny singles in your area looking for slovenly men with no strings attached!" or, "This one simple trick will make you immortal!", etc., but the one that really caught my eye was for some 3D sex game, with the caption, "OMG! This game will make you forget about your breakfast!" Like, what the hell does that even mean? Who writes these things?

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
okay so I am not sure why but i initially processed that as saying it was an ad for a 3D Gex game. Maybe I just long to play some Gex, because I thought that that N64 game was fun when I was a kid even though the dumb cold blooded asshole kept saying the same things over and over again. Over the years I've discovered that having the PS1 version would mean I would have heard more different lines, at least.

But also, how do I get a job writing shitty ads like that?