• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

Zora

perpetually tired
VC4 is very much a return to form and is most similar to 1; a lot of 2 and 3's issues boil down to they were PSP games.

That said, I prefer 1 to 4. VC4 tries to be more creative/experimental in its map design and sometimes it can be too much. For example, a map where you are ambushed has same turn reinforcements in the second half and ehhh

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
I honestly didn't expect anyone to read it, which is why I prefaced that it goes nowhere. You were probably the only one who did! I'd written a few sentences just to add on because it was recent and I had nothing else, and then I didn't want to delete it so I just pushed through.

Your story is actually way more eventful than mine, because I neglected to include this fact for purposes of dramatic tension, but I could have walked home and taken care of it in the morning (granted, a 3+ mile walk late at night in a fairly seedy area, so not the greatest option). I'd definitely be more anxious about breaking down in an unfamiliar area on a road trip.

Actually if I were in your exact situation, I’d feel more anxious if I had to ask random strangers at some gas station for help. I wouldn’t even want to try out any foods they offered me! At least I was traveling with family at the time, so we were able to discuss the situation together and re-plan. Ideally, I’d probably just call someone to tow my car for me or something if I ever got into an issue like yours by myself.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Gamefaqs has some good guides, but the message boards are just too much. I'm all for hot takes, but people post them like fact.
You can play a drinking game where you take a sip everytime someone posts something like that.

Dropping in something I found funny

So I found an old screenshot from a few months ago in my camera roll from when I was making a Trails of Cold Steel-based Hunger Games sim, when I typed in Jusis’ name the two options autocorrect gave me were “Jus is” and “Jus isn’t” which I need to make into a comic or something

K that’s it

Peter Quill

star-lord
Places like GameFAQs really just makes me dread the greater gaming community as a whole. It's a shame because I know there are genuinely great people there but I sadly haven't been able to shake the feeling of general disinterest and unease ever since GamerGate became a thing (Which... lol how long ago was that? Is it even still going?) I mean I'm 99% sure it's also because as I've gotten older my interests and motivations in life have changed but I really just don't see video games as a big part of my life anymore. I mean I bought Octopath Traveller and Pokemon Lets Go Eevee just as casual playing experiences when I have the time but I barely play my switch. It's a shame. I have however been playing Mario Kart with friends when I have the time.

I need a video game that really sort of sparks the fun again, maybe. Since Fire Emblem (Prob one of my fav series ever) has gone to **** I don't have very high hopes for the next game so... I guess I'll just wait for a really cool JRPG to come out at some point.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
Actually if I were in your exact situation, I’d feel more anxious if I had to ask random strangers at some gas station for help. I wouldn’t even want to try out any foods they offered me! At least I was traveling with family at the time, so we were able to discuss the situation together and re-plan. Ideally, I’d probably just call someone to tow my car for me or something if I ever got into an issue like yours by myself.

I realize that this is a month and a half old, but it's like three posts back, so... Yeah, I didn't want to take food from the homeless guy, but I figured salmonella has a low mortality rate and for all I knew I had parked on top of his box and so was a guest in his residence, so I didn't want to put him out. I honestly don't know who to call for a tow at that time of night, besides AAA, which I don't have. AAA is a great service for breakdowns like yours and mine, I highly recommend it to anyone. I received this product and/or service at a discount for my honest and unbiased review.

Oh, neat! Now you can throw it out so no one ever has to look at it again.

Places like GameFAQs really just makes me dread the greater gaming community as a whole. It's a shame because I know there are genuinely great people there but I sadly haven't been able to shake the feeling of general disinterest and unease ever since GamerGate became a thing (Which... lol how long ago was that? Is it even still going?) I mean I'm 99% sure it's also because as I've gotten older my interests and motivations in life have changed but I really just don't see video games as a big part of my life anymore. I mean I bought Octopath Traveller and Pokemon Lets Go Eevee just as casual playing experiences when I have the time but I barely play my switch. It's a shame. I have however been playing Mario Kart with friends when I have the time.

I need a video game that really sort of sparks the fun again, maybe. Since Fire Emblem (Prob one of my fav series ever) has gone to **** I don't have very high hopes for the next game so... I guess I'll just wait for a really cool JRPG to come out at some point.

I don't think GameFAQs is really that bad, but then again I barely play popular games as it is, and even more rarely do I play them when they come out and are at the height of their popularity (and I hate pre-release speculation, so I'm never in on that), which seems to be where the scum really coagulates. To an extent, I think fans of almost anything look bad when taken as a group (I love anime, but anime fans are the ****ing worst; reading almost any discussion gives me the urge to punch these people in the face), but gamers are hilariously bad -- they're much more petulant and vitriolic than, say, NFL fans (a fandom competitive by its very nature), usually over trivialities like what console a person plays on. I don't even know what GamerGate is, either. Actually, now that I think about it, I've used GameFAQs almost since its inception, but almost never post there. The last time I remember doing so was after Zero Time Dilemma came out, and it was hilarious to tear apart that game for being terrible.

You don't need to wait for an amazing JRPG to come out. In fact, it was already mentioned on this very page! Actually, you may have to wait a bit, depending on console preference/availability. But it's called Trails of Cold Steel and its aptly-named sequel, Trails of Cold Steel 2: Steel Harder, available now on PS3 and Vita (and PC, if you're into that), and they're releasing touched-up versions of both games on PS4 in the next couple months. Even though I haven't seen anything, I'm wildly optimistic that the re-releases in January and March are leading up to the localization of the 3rd game (which was released in Japan over a year ago). They're probably my favorite games of ever (between them and 999), and I highly recommend them to anyone. I received this product and/or service at a discount for my honest and unbiased review.

^^^

Throwing my hat into the ring on this a little: I’ve been gaming as much as I can over the last couple years (mainly catching up on stuff that I was too young to play at the time/missed out on), and there are SO many gems out there. I don’t think I bought any 2018 games at all this year, because I’m going through such a massive backlog. Here are my top picks for games (JRPG or not) that might pick up your interest again if you haven’t already played them:
-same as above, Trails of Cold Steel. One of my first PSvita games, I got absolutely shocked by how amazing this game series is. Depending on your preferences you could start with Trails in the Sky as it’s chronologically the first in the series (the Sky trilogy is on PC), but either starting point is good. My favourite character is actually currently my avatar.
-Akiba’s Beat. I mentioned it earlier in the thread and I guess you can kinda see that it’s a game with mixed reviews, but I honestly like it. I can see why people wouldn’t like various things, but as one of my favourite reviews put it, you’ll be missing out on one of the most entertainingly-written scripts of all JRPGs if you don’t play it.
-Professor Layton. It’ll certainly get your brain in gear thanks to all of the puzzles, but despite some rather crazy plot twists it’s one of my favourite series out of sheer charm with the art style and music, and love for the characters.
-Persona 4 Golden. Make sure you throw the fanservice to the side while reviewing this one, as while most of the filler stuff is boring and unskippable, the rest of the game is some of the best storytelling I’ve ever seen.

I have recommendations for days, but these should do for now.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Gamefaqs isn't bad, they just hate SJWs and with Sony going a censorship ban and making japanese devs edit tits and touching mechanics out of their games, i can see why people would be at people that complain about this stuff but wouldn't even buy the game with the content removed.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I haven't posted on Gamefaqs in like 7 years lol. This is honestly the only forum that I ever use anymore.

This place is a lot less active then I remember, has the modly crew + Persian moved on to greener pastures?

Idk which people you’re talking about, sorry. I can’t say if it’s more active or not since I myself have started drifting out of posting over the last several months (I have no intention leaving any time soon though), but things still seem to be running smoothly. Of course, forums are only so active nowadays with twitter and Instagram, but they do still exist and ones like Serebii will probably prosper for at least a few more years.

Unrelated but I finally restarted a fanfic that I knew had potential but because I was like 12 when I first began writing it it wasn’t that great. Feels good to actually write words, even if they are difficult and maybe not top-quality because I’m out of shape and still don’t have that much writing experience.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
you joined in 2016 which was already when this place was dead.

For reference, this thread has been open since 2014 but we've went through two other chat threads with way more posts and users in a years time

first one - https://forums.serebii.net/threads/general-chat-thread.472716/
second - https://forums.serebii.net/threads/rip-general-chat-thread-2011-2014.545454/#post-13579600

dumb rules like preventing users from making topics in favor of the general "everything" topics on other boards and even dumber sig rules like no gifs overs 500KB in addition to it being cool to like Pokemon again really killed this place. Hell, we didn't get custom avis until this year lol

I bought pillars of eternity since it was on sale. I'm trying to play through Dragonquest 11 but the grind is getting to be a bit much. Well, it's not so much even that, but I'm the kind of person that can't leave an area or city until every single nook and cranny has been explored, which can make a game like dragonquest pretty time consuming. I can spend thirty minutes combing over stuff before I actually move on with the story.

Pillars of eternity is nice. Divinity Original Sin was my first introduction to the table top RPG thing. I love the writing and how story driven it is, but the combat system is really complicated and requires a **** ton of micro management to be effective. I'm still getting used it.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
you joined in 2016 which was already when this place was dead.

For reference, this thread has been open since 2014 but we've went through two other chat threads with way more posts and users in a years time

first one - https://forums.serebii.net/threads/general-chat-thread.472716/
second - https://forums.serebii.net/threads/rip-general-chat-thread-2011-2014.545454/#post-13579600

dumb rules like preventing users from making topics in favor of the general "everything" topics on other boards and even dumber sig rules like no gifs overs 500KB in addition to it being cool to like Pokemon again really killed this place. Hell, we didn't get custom avis until this year lol
Remember when they kept using dial-up as an excuse for all the sig rules, in, like... 2010? Of course, even with top-end internet, it was 50-50 whether you could actually use the forums if they were lagging. And I miss the drama. To this day, I don't understand how so many people got butthurt over a Pokemon forum, but they did, and it was awesome. Lots of impropriety in those days -- more than a few people were permab& for passing around nudes, as I recall (which wasn't as common in the pre-Snapchat days). Remember the Wiki? Brief, but glorious -- like a phoenix.

I bought pillars of eternity since it was on sale. I'm trying to play through Dragonquest 11 but the grind is getting to be a bit much. Well, it's not so much even that, but I'm the kind of person that can't leave an area or city until every single nook and cranny has been explored, which can make a game like dragonquest pretty time consuming. I can spend thirty minutes combing over stuff before I actually move on with the story.
SAME. I spend so long on any game I play, just trying to take everything in. I often re-visit places to talk to NPCs/etc. as the story progresses, too. I know I wasn't always like that, so I wonder when it started happening. But either way, most games take me tens of hours more than the average player. Well, I also tend to leave games on, since I'm borderline-unable to NOT multitask in my free time, either (I'll usually do at least two of internet, games, TV, reading, eating -- sometimes three).

PMS - @Baba Yaga I forget if I already told you or not, but you should also play Trails of Cold Steel.

Addition to the last part of the above: Trails of Cold Steel 3 just got announced yesterday! There are also PS4 versions of the first two games coming next month, so now is the best time to be getting into the series!

Zora

perpetually tired
XSEED is also bringing over cold steel 1 and 2 on PS4. You should go through the Sky games first, except for maybe the 3rd which has useful lore but not strictly necessary.

These games need more love tho.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Hbomberguy is raising money for a trans organization, Mermaid's Gender, by playing Donkey Kong 64 on twitch.

It's gotten some guess on such as Jim Sterling and Mara Wilson.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
He's gotten a really impressive amount of people. All because a charity was going to lose it's funding.

Too bad DK 64 will kill him.