• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Does anyone ever go back and read their old posts from when they first started on this forum and cringe a little? Or is it just me? Haha.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Does anyone ever go back and read their old posts from when they first started on this forum and cringe a little? Or is it just me? Haha.
So I mentioned this in another thread, but one time, I noticed that a lot of early revealed Gen 4 Pokemon had their names begin with Man- (Manaphy, Mantyke, probably more in Japan), so I made a thread asking if we would get more manly Pokemon. (It wasn't literal, but still.)

Edit: Whoops.

Last edited:

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I don't think I made a good post at all in the first, I dunno, ten or so years I was here. But I bet one to two of them made sense to make at the time, at least to me.

Vernikova

Champion
I nearly had an animated avatar. It's animated when I upload it, but when I view on the actual forum, it just shows up as a still PNG rather an animated PNG.

Edit: I know there's an option to allow animated avatars, but it doesn't seem to be turned on. Maybe someday. I've been working on that avatar for the past hour to work with Sppf's limitations. I guess I'll resort to a signature.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
A lot of the early days in these forums reflected where I was at the time. Not only was I a high schooler, but I was bullied quite a bit, and I would often get into conflicts, which unfortunately reflected in these forums at first. I'm just glad I'm where I'm at now, at least emotionally speaking.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
Honestly, every once in a while, I end up searching through old threads here, and any time I come across one of my old posts, I think they're witty and hilarious and great and I'm like, "Man, I can't believe I've only posted 2280 times, everybody is really missing out!"

Well, I exaggerate, but I do usually think my old posts are funny, but apparently unlike everybody else, I also tried to avoid sharing cringey stuff I'd regret later.
Now I'm intrigued haha.
I actually do remember my first post, which I wouldn't want people digging up -- because it was related to Pokemon (talk about embarrassing!). Also, I have a tendency to exude fake enthusiasm/friendliness when starting a new account, so it's dripping in that. I'm sure I dropped it quick, though.

I'm curious about what I posted between that and the time I started to hang around Misc., though. I remember why I made an account in the first place, but that was kind of a phase, so I don't remember why I kept using it until I latched onto Misc. like a remora -- so that period is a black box, and the search engine doesn't seem to go back that far.
I nearly had an animated avatar. It's animated when I upload it, but when I view on the actual forum, it just shows up as a still PNG rather an animated PNG.

Edit: I know there's an option to allow animated avatars, but it doesn't seem to be turned on. Maybe someday. I've been working on that avatar for the past hour to work with Sppf's limitations. I guess I'll resort to a signature.
THE INJUSTICE! I've sent the administrators a crudely-worded private message to let them know how I feel about this. I'm sure they'll cave soon!

Speaking of threatening the administrators, whatever happened to rep?

Peter Quill

star-lord
There was a way to figure out who gave the rep despite the fact it should have been anonymous. Some people took advantage of it so it got shut down again.

Also I may have been super excited once I saw @GrizzlyB posted in this thread... but don't tell him that anybody!

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I hated the reputation system. Mostly because of some of the ridiculous reasons I got dislikes.

I would understand if I got a dislike because a post I made wasn't thought out or if there was a point of contention.

However, I got dislikes for some silly things.

I was initially thinking about keeping things vague, but is there a point? If they learned from the past, great, and I don't know who they are anyway.

I once got a downvote for saying that Little Mac in Smash Bros. got the Charizard treatment (as in, they went from summonable to playable status). This was a reply to someone, and the person downvoted the post saying that the person got that they wanted to represent the series, which was not what I was talking about.

I once got downvoted for saying that Phil Robertson lacked common knowledge. Keep in mind that Phil Robertson is rather bigoted, but the person who downvoted said he had a college degree, like I give a damn. To be fair, this is the debate thread, and even though I thought the downvote was dumb, you should at least halfway expect downvotes there.

I also downvoted someone, and they found out because I replied with a similar statement (whoopsie), and they went all out on me.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Because there's no real regulation on giving rep in either direction, you will definitely get a lot of people just being jackasses with it.
I totally agree. Besides, I'm fine with our current reaction system.
I just hope nobody posts a laugh emoji to someone saying there dog died or something along those lines.
It could happen in practice, but I haven't seen that done so far, so I'm happy for that.
I would say most of the time, the reaction system is used appropriately.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
There was a way to figure out who gave the rep despite the fact it should have been anonymous. Some people took advantage of it so it got shut down again.

Also I may have been super excited once I saw @GrizzlyB posted in this thread... but don't tell him that anybody!
Oh, yeah. I think I heard that before, but I guess I forgot it because it was such a stupid reason. Especially since they openly tag infracted posts now.

and omg omg omg... don't worry, your secrets safe with me! :oops:;):cool:
I was more concerned with the sig limitations than rep. Look back ,and even now the rules are way out of date for the time. I remember you could get it wiped just because it had too many colors
Wasn't there a width limit, too, even if it was just text? And I distinctly remember something about a pixel limit, but idk if that was for images or included text as well. I just feel sorry for the schmucks they got to actually dedicate time to inspecting this crap.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
I do think chat threads are hurt by discord servers the most, especially when Serebii has a fancy official discord.