• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Chat Thread - Come to #spp-misc on Discord! https://discord.gg/3u9nKEa

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
This place has been dead for years. Seems like most people are on Discord. Once upon a time this thread used to be booming with conversation. Forums just aren't the same anymore. Times are changing.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
This place has been dead for years. Seems like most people are on Discord. Once upon a time this thread used to be booming with conversation. Forums just aren't the same anymore. Times are changing.

Yeah, but I don't really like the Discord very much. It feels sort of distant compared to the Forum. Interestingly, I'm part of many other Discords. It's just the Serebii Discord that feels off.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Yeah, but I don't really like the Discord very much. It feels sort of distant compared to the Forum. Interestingly, I'm part of many other Discords. It's just the Serebii Discord that feels off.
I use Discord mostly to play games with friends, but I recently started using the Serebii Discord a little bit more. I like the nostalgia of forums more, though.

Vernikova

Champion
I don't use Discord or Reddit.

I really liked the customization that message boards allowed user. While some places like sppf were always very strict with customizations, many places allowed nice customer avatars, nice signatures, user titles, name changes, etc. It's a shame that message boards have fallen out of favor simply due to convenient centralization of discussion on places like Reddit and Discord. Maybe I'm too old to understand, but even 28 isn't old. Well, it shouldn't be.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
I don't use Discord or Reddit.

I really liked the customization that message boards allowed user. While some places like sppf were always very strict with customizations, many places allowed nice customer avatars, nice signatures, user titles, name changes, etc. It's a shame that message boards have fallen out of favor simply due to convenient centralization of discussion on places like Reddit and Discord. Maybe I'm too old to understand, but even 28 isn't old. Well, it shouldn't be.
I've still never used Discord. Something about it makes me feel all discombobulated and tense... I dunno what it is.

I use Reddit from time to time, just because it beats most social media in terms of usability; personally, I credit that to downvotes, whereas Twitter and etc. have no bullshit suppression system like that. But it's still really impersonal, and there are only a few users in subreddits I frequent whose names I somewhat recognize, and even then, only vaguely (like, mostly, "Oh, hey, I agree with this person a lot," or, "This guy's always a douche." Mostly the latter, now that I think about it...), and I've never really interacted with anybody. Contrast that with forums, where even on sites where I rarely/never posted, I can recognize and feel like I know users better. There's probably hundreds of former users on this site who, if they popped in for the first time in years, I'd go, "Oh, hey, that's [X], they were [details about them]." Most of that's probably down to the customization, where you have a big avatar and signatures you associate with a specific person's posts so you remember what they say, not to mention forums don't have algorithms constantly cycling new posts and burying everything older (depending on the case, I often feel weird about replying to something 5-10 hours old on Reddit, except on comparatively inactive subs where I might occasionally make a comment a day or so later).

So, I dunno. I wish it was more active here, but at the same time, I can't say I do anything Pokemon-related anymore, and I'm sure that's the case for a lot of people now (well, I was never THAT into it except when it first became big; I'm fine with playing the games, but at the same time, they're really low on my priority list, so I haven't actually played any since Black/White 2), so that means like 95% of the site serves no purpose for me. Still, having people come to the site to discuss Pokemon waters the non-Pokemon sections, so things end up wilting when they stop coming; I feel like I should post more, but there aren't enough new threads/posts to reply to, so everything starts circling the drain because there are other sites moving faster. At some level, I do hold a concern about, the way a huge proportion of internet users are drawn to certain big sites like Youtube/Facebook/Twitter/etc., when hypothetically the net should be wide open for anyone to go anywhere, but we mostly end up on a few specific websites, seeing a few specific things at specific times, and imo it has the effect of taking small things that could be half a world away, and making them feel as though they're occupying your entire existence. It's like if TV and newspapers did away with local news and only started offering national/international coverage; you'd have no idea what was going on closest to you. Even non-serious things, like memes, pop culture, and etc.; doesn't it seem like you have to know certain references, or have watched Game of Thrones and the Marvel movies to fit in on the internet sometimes?

Anyway, that's my long-winded way of saying 28 is old and you should feel old. Honestly, how does an old person even get that old? The oldly thing worse than being 28 would be being 29. I can't even imagine that.

Vernikova

Champion
I've still never used Discord. Something about it makes me feel all discombobulated and tense... I dunno what it is.
I get anxious when I have to scroll and load messages without a number of pages showing how much further I need to go. Some people keep asking me to use Discord, but I can't imagine using such a disorganized mess. I hated AIM and MSN too, though.

I use Reddit from time to time, just because it beats most social media in terms of usability; personally, I credit that to downvotes, whereas Twitter and etc. have no bullshit suppression system like that. But it's still really impersonal, and there are only a few users in subreddits I frequent whose names I somewhat recognize, and even then, only vaguely (like, mostly, "Oh, hey, I agree with this person a lot," or, "This guy's always a douche." Mostly the latter, now that I think about it...), and I've never really interacted with anybody. Contrast that with forums, where even on sites where I rarely/never posted, I can recognize and feel like I know users better. There's probably hundreds of former users on this site who, if they popped in for the first time in years, I'd go, "Oh, hey, that's [X], they were [details about them]." Most of that's probably down to the customization, where you have a big avatar and signatures you associate with a specific person's posts so you remember what they say, not to mention forums don't have algorithms constantly cycling new posts and burying everything older (depending on the case, I often feel weird about replying to something 5-10 hours old on Reddit, except on comparatively inactive subs where I might occasionally make a comment a day or so later).
True. Look at me replying to a post nearly a month old now, and there's no system that just suppresses older posts for no reason. I can't stand the flow of Reddit discussions. Replies hidden away within a tree of replies instead of things being sorted in order chronologically. Not even Instagram does that anymore. Chronologically-sorted posting is obviously better than sorting by branches of separate comments and responses to those comments. Don't even get me started on those retarded droid avatars that people have deviations of.

So, I dunno. I wish it was more active here, but at the same time, I can't say I do anything Pokemon-related anymore, and I'm sure that's the case for a lot of people now (well, I was never THAT into it except when it first became big; I'm fine with playing the games, but at the same time, they're really low on my priority list, so I haven't actually played any since Black/White 2), so that means like 95% of the site serves no purpose for me. Still, having people come to the site to discuss Pokemon waters the non-Pokemon sections, so things end up wilting when they stop coming; I feel like I should post more, but there aren't enough new threads/posts to reply to, so everything starts circling the drain because there are other sites moving faster. At some level, I do hold a concern about, the way a huge proportion of internet users are drawn to certain big sites like Youtube/Facebook/Twitter/etc., when hypothetically the net should be wide open for anyone to go anywhere, but we mostly end up on a few specific websites, seeing a few specific things at specific times, and imo it has the effect of taking small things that could be half a world away, and making them feel as though they're occupying your entire existence. It's like if TV and newspapers did away with local news and only started offering national/international coverage; you'd have no idea what was going on closest to you. Even non-serious things, like memes, pop culture, and etc.; doesn't it seem like you have to know certain references, or have watched Game of Thrones and the Marvel movies to fit in on the internet sometimes?
I also don't do anything Pokemon related. I've never read a manga, I haven't watched the anime since 2011, and my last game was Y. I didn't even finish the fifth generation games. I do think that some people are trying to de-centralize the web again like it used to be in the 90s and the 00s, but it'll take a lot of energy to do so. It seems to be a more conservative and left tendency though. I think most people are okay with centralization out of convenience, but I never felt a decentralized web was inconvenient in the first place. We may just be too millennial for the young people these days.
Anyway, that's my long-winded way of saying 28 is old and you should feel old. Honestly, how does an old person even get that old? The oldly thing worse than being 28 would be being 29. I can't even imagine that.
Oh geez. You're only 28? I'm 29. I'm still young with the kids. Using my Instagram and not Tik Tok of course.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
*puts in some new furniture, drink and snack machines into the thread*

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Once upon a time this thread was booming with activity. I remember when the old general chat threads got locked and restarted several times. Things were wild back then lol.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
yeah, i remember they banned image "macros" in this thread which is funny because now images are used as replies for pretty much everything. i used to come home from school and this play would have 10s of pages of new posts

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member

Palamon

Silence is Purple
What's replaced them aren't any good imo.
I also don't like how Discord is trying to replace forums with their new "community threads" feature.

(A shame Discord in general has replaced forums, honestly. I don't even really like it because it's hard to use on my computer half the time.)

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
I also don't like how Discord is trying to replace forums with their new "community threads" feature.

(A shame Discord in general has replaced forums, honestly. I don't even really like it because it's hard to use on my computer half the time.)

Yea I just noticed that. It's not the same thing. It's harder to have discussions on it, let alone keep track of them.

Definitely. I use it when I have to, but it's definitely not my go to.

Rennon

Revisiting Trainer
Kinda miss this place...
Sad that forums are dying. Always preferred them over chat apps like discord, social media like facebook, or even the so-called "forum" reddit.
Hard to have proper discussions there. Either things are going by too fast or everything is disorganized.
The customization traditional forums give are also way better. You've got the typical avatar and profile banner. Nut the userbars (assuming if the forum has one) and most importantly the signatures give forums personalization like no other. For me, facebook and twitter is just bland.