• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Computer Help Discussion

Kal-El

Mush! Mush!
Alchemist said:
Um, I think gaming, and other stuff (casual use you could call it)

And I have a lot, I'll just say that.
If you're using it mainly for gaming it might be more worthwhile to build it yourself. A dual-core AMD processor running at a decent speed for starters. A fairly good video card is also needed.

But if it's casual > games then go with a pre-built one. HPs are okay. Dells I don't really like and Optimas too.

Kal-El

Mush! Mush!
My brother's dual core's doin' him nicely, though. :p

Going by experiences, Intel aren't the best brand of CPU. Intel are sometimes just unreliable.

ShiningClefairy

Meteor Trainer
Here's a simple question: What uses less power, hibernate or standby? My family's power bill was $347 dollars this month, which is just about enough to buy a computer with a Celeron. I'm going to take measures such as these to help out, especially since this is mostly my fault.

Kal-El

Mush! Mush!
ShiningClefairy said:
Here's a simple question: What uses less power, hibernate or standby? My family's power bill was $347 dollars this month, which is just about enough to buy a computer with a Celeron. I'm going to take measures such as these to help out, especially since this is mostly my fault.
You've gotta be joking! All 6 of our computers are on almost 24/7 (Exggeration but it seems that way) and I don't think our bills are that high.

I'm not really sure but I'd think hibernate sounds like it'd use less power.

Eileen

Queen of Orudoran
Hibernation is like shutdown but it saves the state. When I hibernate it, I pull the plug or turn the switch off (extension strip) so it doesn't waste energy... Shutting it down takes a long time because when you turn it on again, I have to wait 5 minutes to get it fully up and running.

=p

Last edited:

Charizard_Fire_God

*tiwts widdw head*
Latios said:
But turning the PC on from a cold boot gives it a fresh start.
Depends actually. Unless a tweak or install wants me to I won't do it. Doesn't really speed up things at all. True, problems can start happenin' after say... 2 weeks of uptime with lotsa tweaking and app running, tch, but an advanced user can always solve those problems without the use of a restart, by going as far as terminating and re-opening explorer even.

Lolz, I have Outrageous power bills from that too. XD

I hate hibernate, tch, it puts up a system file tha size of my RAM on my HDD where it can dump tha RAM. Besides, I wanna make uptime. X33333333

My comp only goes off if power failiures longer than 15 minutes occur because my UPS runs dry, or if I have something ta install inside it. o.=.O;;

ricocheting

Noob Trainer
Admin
i dunno. i have two computers (server and a desktop) that have been turned off maybe a combined total of 72hours in the last 3 years. the only one i actually turn off is my laptop because i sometimes go couple days between uses.

but if you are worried about power, hybernate does completely shut down your computer. it saves all your current "state" (open programs, etc) to a hybernate file on the harddrive, then shuts the computer down. when you restart it, it loads back all the programs saved in the hybernate file.

standby will save a lot of power over a running computer, but it does leave certain parts running. standby powers down things like your drives and most fans but it leaves enough parts running to keep all the info in RAM so "startup" from standby is usually ~2-3 seconds.

Latios said:
So if Hybernation is just Shut Down, only it saves everything, doesn't that mean it would technically create a longer boot time?

That would happen if you have too many RAM consuming programs running.

ShiningClefairy

Meteor Trainer
There's a very good reason for hibernate. You can't set the computer to shut down when it goes idle. I don't know, if I go to play a console game, if I'm going to be back on soon, so I have it configured like this:

5 minutes: Monitor turns off
15 minutes: Hard disks turn off
30 minutes: Computer goes into standby
45 minutes: Computer hibernates.

That should save my parents a bit of money.

ShiningClefairy

Meteor Trainer
Latios said:
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but you're really impatient if you can't wait at most one minute for your PC to completely boot up (after the PC stops loading stuff from the HDD) from a cold boot.
I already addressed that. This has nothing to do with patience.
Me said:
You can't set the computer to shut down when it goes idle.
I leave it idle. I go off and on the computer about 3 times a day, and it's unreasonable to have to shut it down every time. I do shut it down overnight though.

Seriously though, I'll go and play my Gamecube for 30 minutes to 2 hours. I don't know how long I'll be on my Gamecube when I go play it. If it's only for 30 minutes, there's no reason to shut it down. If it's for over 45 minutes, it goes into hibernate on its own.

melvin

^melvin^
I have battlefront 2 and it is slow and choppy. Do I need a graphics card?

And if so which one would be best for playing Battlefront 2 and Age of Empires 3?

I dont want to spend to much.

If you see picture, you have a graphics card. If it's slow, you need to buy RAM, or your computers processing speed is too slow.... It sounds like you need RAM and a graphics card.

ShiningClefairy

Meteor Trainer
melvin said:
I have battlefront 2 and it is slow and choppy. Do I need a graphics card?

And if so which one would be best for playing Battlefront 2 and Age of Empires 3?

I dont want to spend to much.
You need to post your specs. We aren't psychics.

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
Yes, your specs are required for fine tuning but for your game requests I can recommend for someone on a budget to find parts for or buy a premade PC with these specs:

A good processor (1.5GHz MINIMUM for XP)
512MB RAM minimum (for XP)
A decent video card (I'd go for the Albatron 7800GT, great value and performance)
A sound card is nice but not necessary, and will improve framerates if your game includes a lot of background sound or music (in particular .wav files). An example of such a game would be MS Flight Simulator.]

But generally, the better your raw processing speed and RAM, the faster things should be.

Last edited: