• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Computer Help Discussion

ShiningClefairy

Meteor Trainer
Alchemist said:
So.... I'm building a computer for my brothers birthday... I have all of the stuff, the case, HD, RAM, processor, motherboard, graphics card... How do I put it together? All of the wires and things confuse me.
If you have a really old computer you're not using, you could pop open the case on that and use it as reference. Make sure you read Latios's post!

ShiningClefairy said:
If you have a really old computer you're not using, you could pop open the case on that and use it as reference. Make sure you read Latios's post!

I sell my old computers, to make money for my new ones. The one I have now, to say the least, is complicated.... I don't usually install the new stuff, but meh.

~Battle Frontier~

<-- Wolf Whistle
I have a problem with one of my desktops:

Just yesterday, I went to my desktop and it just froze! I can see my good desktop but when I click stuff, nothing happens. So I turned off and turned it back on and went back to my desktop and it still won't work! So what I did was I left the computer on to my desktop for a couple of hours and when I came back, still wasn't working! So I went to another desktop and it works FINE!

Is there a solution to this like
-START
-RUN
-Type (_____)

or other solutions?
I really need help cause my important files are in there.

~Battle Frontier~

<-- Wolf Whistle
Latios said:
Depends on the version. What Windows are you using?
I'm using windows XP

Paradox

Irate Pirate
Can you access it through Explorer? (Go to my computer and click "Up" on the toolbar at the top)

~Battle Frontier~

<-- Wolf Whistle
Latios said:
And you can't access your Desktop at all?
I could go to my desktop, I can see everything like my icons such as Internet Explorer etc, but when I go in my desktop, it freezes. Only my desktop.

EDIT:

Never mind, I found a solution from another forum:

I go to the other desktop and,

Click Start
Go to RUN
Enter msconfig
Go to start up
and uncheck all boxes

It works now!!

but I have a new question:

How do I burn a video from Windowd Movie Maker into a DVD? I did "Save To My Computer" and it did save but it won't play on the dvd.

Thanks anyway.

Last edited:

Fiery Blaziken

A question about viruses/spyware: Can viruses and/or spyware affect just one account but not the otheres on a computer? (I'm using Windows XP with multiple accounts) When I try to play AoE 2 on my account, the start up screen appears, but then it goes "Age of Empires II Expansion has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.". But when I try to play AoE 2 on another, it works fine.
Odd....

Akane

I have a problem. See, I use Firefox and I recently downloaded Microsoft Service Pack 2 and all of the sudden I can't see Japanese text while I use Firefox. It is all in Question marks. It is happening everywhere. Please tell me what to do. I have a few sites that are in Japanese, but I can't see them. All the text is in question marks. Thanks for your time.

Max Bauman

Scientology = OWNED
I don't want to start a holy war here, but what is the deal with you Mac fanatics? I've been sitting here at my freelance gig in front of a Mac (a 8600/300 w/64 Megs of RAM) for about 20 minutes now while it attempts to copy a 17 Meg file from one folder on the hard drive to another folder. 20 minutes. At home, on my Pentium Pro 200 running NT 4, which by all standards should be a lot slower than this Mac, the same operation would take about 2 minutes. If that.

In addition, during this file transfer, Netscape will not work. And everything else has ground to a halt. Even BBEdit Lite is straining to keep up as I type this.

I won't bore you with the laundry list of other problems that I've encountered while working on various Macs, but suffice it to say there have been many, not the least of which is I've never seen a Mac that has run faster than its Wintel counterpart, despite the Macs' faster chip architecture. My 486/66 with 8 megs of ram runs faster than this 300 mhz machine at times. From a productivity standpoint, I don't get how people can claim that the Macintosh is a superior machine.

Mac addicts, flame me if you'd like, but I'd rather hear some intelligent reasons why anyone would choose to use a Mac over other faster, cheaper, more stable systems.

P

PKMN Allen Jenkins

Max- I've used a mac before, and trust me, its not THAT slow. Also 64 RAM is old, hate to break it to ya.

ShiningClefairy

Meteor Trainer
Max Bauman said:
Mac addicts, flame me if you'd like, but I'd rather hear some intelligent reasons why anyone would choose to use a Mac over other faster, cheaper, more stable systems.
More stable?

Fiery Blaziken

DIZZI said:
i think my computer has reached the end of its life because everythng is all of a sudden breaking
And your point is? =\ If you want us to help, then give more details. Really. It's not that hard.

ShiningClefairy

Meteor Trainer
For both the errors you got and the system info, you aren't giving us nearly enough information.