• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Thure

We'd also have to keep in mind that everything seems a lot more "fuller" and vibrant than before. There's a lot more going on than in Sun and Moon as is from a bunch more plant life and swooping Wingulls, which would make it even harder to implement the extra details. Although it is pretty hard to tell anything from 20 seconds I suppose.

I never had problems with lagging or performance on the overworld. Wasn't it just something which happened in battles?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I really hope you're right about that. I miss that feature.

If it does come back, it better be optional.

I hated being followed constantly. It got annoying real quick. I am so hoping they don't force it like they did back in HGSS. Preferably, I'd rather it didn't come back at all.

Happy Hydreigon

Kahuna Mikah
It's been such a long time so I've forgotted the connection between the Starters and Rockruff, so I was thinking, if it's what I remember and they both evolve influenced by Solgaleo/Lunala, the presence of Necrozma on them could affect their ability to evolve(resulting in Rockruff having a third form) and maybe even that rumoured split starter evolution(very unlikely but you must admit that is cool)

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
It's been such a long time so I've forgotted the connection between the Starters and Rockruff, so I was thinking, if it's what I remember and they both evolve influenced by Solgaleo/Lunala, the presence of Necrozma on them could affect their ability to evolve(resulting in Rockruff having a third form) and maybe even that rumoured split starter evolution(very unlikely but you must admit that is cool)
Wow, I forgot all about the secret about the starters and Rockruff...

But anyways, that was already proved a while back to be a mistranslation. They don't share a secret, they have their own.

Happy Hydreigon

Kahuna Mikah
Wow, I forgot all about the secret about the starters and Rockruff...

But anyways, that was already proved a while back to be a mistranslation. They don't share a secret, they have their own.

That theory about Lycanroc having a third form decided by Necrozma's influence on Solga/Luna could still hold weight, Idk about the starters tho, what was the starter's secret? The exclusive Z Moves?

Akashin

There was no connection; that was a misunderstanding of what CoroCoro said on our parts. All CoroCoro said was that Rockruff has a secret (its branched evolution) and that the Starters do as well (their exclusive Z-Moves). Though with that said, you could say that Lycanroc seemingly getting an exclusive Z-Move means it retroactively does have secret that it shares with the Starters.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Gamexplain made a video hypothesizing that Akala Island might be separated.

I almost agree, but I think it will instead of being physically separated into different islands, it will already be split up accodingly. Green and orange already represent islands close to Maui, or Akala island in Pokemon terms.

That leaves the two shades of blue, which might represent different parts of Akala Island as a split.

Happy Hydreigon

Kahuna Mikah
Gamexplain made a video hypothesizing that Akala Island might be separated.

I almost agree, but I think it will instead of being physically separated into different islands, it will already be split up accodingly. Green and orange already represent islands close to Maui, or Akala island in Pokemon terms.

That leaves the two shades of blue, which might represent different parts of Akala Island as a split.

While that could be true I think they wouldn't give a hint like that directly on a Pokemon, but I could be wrong

Satoshi no masara

Professional couch potato
All I want is to see more facial expressions from the player character. Seriously, there is a disaster happening in front of us and our character is like "Haha, that just happened". XD

I never had problems with lagging or performance on the overworld. Wasn't it just something which happened in battles?

I only ever got the lag in Double Battles. Heck, I forgot the lag existed until I tried a Multi Battle in the Battle Tree. And I was using one of the old 3DS makes. Did people actually experience more lag on the new ones or something? Mine barely had any issues.

Either way, what I feel like is gonna happen is that while we will have more overworld design, if that makes battles laggier, then they may remove some things that take up a lot of data in-game. If overworld design doesn't make the game laggier, then... I guess they go all out?

Aleh

«Last Hope»
I am pretty sure they won't be a sequel because the main characters are exactly the same as Sun and Moon ones, with different clothing and hairstyles, that also happen to live in the same house. Now, as some others have said, it might imply in this alternate version of the story we've either always lived in Alola or have lived there for a good while at least before the start of the game. And while I think they're going for some kind of alternate universe route, sort of like SM after all, I doubt they will drastically change other characters (aside from purely cosmetic changes) making them evil instead of good and vice versa or whatnot (and surely no gender-swapping). That would be weird to handle with the anime, and in future titles as well.
Not sequels but I think they'll heavily change the story, more compared than usual third versions, while also expanding and changing the region. Maybe they could have a similar ending though, just so that they could give us a story continuation on the same path as the originals, in the post game. But their overall direction should become clearer pretty soon once we start getting more information, so for now it's a bit early.
I do also think they'll show us a free Po Town, and other sorts of changes. Hopefully the Lake of the Sunne/Moone will have more relevance as well this time, that was perhaps my only disappointment with the region.

As a side I can't believe some people don't like the following Pokémon feature, to the point they don't even want it as an option. Way to ruin the fun for others too, lol

tamnguyen912

Remember Samson Oak and Samuel Oak, they're not twin but they look the same, only hair and skin are different.

Maybe the same will happen with new MC and old MC, brother, look the same but different hairstyle and clothes.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
One thing to consider is the villainous team. With all that happened in SM, team skull is no more, same for the aether foundation's evil side. That means it could be either something similar to BW2 with a neo tam skull or a splinter group from the aether foundation being the main threat, some completely new team or maybe even not an evil team for once, making the UBs the villains per se. The latter i don't really see happening, but i'm not entirely sure how they are going to do about this. As for my preference, i would like the splinter group formed from ex aether foundation members. Maybe some researcher (could be faba) went through the ultra space and made a deal with necrozma, which was in there at the time. He would find the legendary pokemon and "feed" it to necrozma and in return he would be promised a position of power (or maybe not even a deal but either some kind of mind control or just insanity from faba). Then he would gather ex aether foundation members and, why not, some ex team skull grunts and they would be the new evil team for the games.

Remember Samson Oak and Samuel Oak, they're not twin but they look the same, only hair and skin are different.

Maybe the same will happen with new MC and old MC, brother, look the same but different hairstyle and clothes.

They look way too similar to be different characters.

I feel like if this was a sequel then we would've gotten an animated trailer by now like with B2W2.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

That actually sounds rather plausible.

It could be that a relative of the protag moves in, and by then the protag has already went off on a separate adventure.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Rewatching the trailer (again), I just realized something... During the last scene with the Z-Ring, the Z-Crystal has a different shape to it. I wonder what it means...

Rewatching the trailer (again), I just realized something... During the last scene with the Z-Ring, the Z-Crystal has a different shape to it. I wonder what it means...

I spotted that too. It probably has something to do with the Z-crystal being rotatable.

Z-crystals for the new fidget spinners

Aleh

«Last Hope»

If I were to guess, it's gonna trigger whatever the new Solgaleo and Lunala forms are. And possibly allow for new mega evolutions, such as the starters'. The Japanese logos have the same prism found on the legendaries' heads, and so far this detail is always in relation to the new game's mechanic (mega evolution symbol in XY, primal reversion in ORAS, Z moves in SM, and now... whatever this is going to be)

Akashin

They look way too similar to be different characters.

I feel like if this was a sequel then we would've gotten an animated trailer by now like with B2W2.

Not to support the highly unlikely idea of these being sequels, but we're one day past the announcement of these games, and the trailer you're talking about didn't come until a month before launch. If for whatever reason they were to make a trailer like that again, it's way too early for them to be releasing it.

Fayh

Do you all actually enjoy the tedious process of filling up a National Dex repeatedly? (Not to say that this opinion is wrong by any means, but I personally don't understand it.) I for one was very tired of proving that I could collect every Pokemon over and over again just so I can start shiny hunting. I think that GF addressed this issue in S/M by moving the National Dex to Bank. It's one of my favorite changes that gen 7 brought to the table.

For me personally, filling the National Dex was the ONE THING I enjoyed most about Pokémon. It has been one of the main points of Pokémon since the very beginning after all (Gotta catch'em all, you know).
I spent hundreds of hours collecting and breeding Pokémon to get my living dex. It has been so much fun and I was so proud when I finally completed it.

When I found out the National Dex was gone, I was LIVID. It's a real slap in the face if you spent generations collecting every single Pokémon and then you don't even get a Dex entry any more. I don't care if it's in the Bank, I want it in the game where I can check it whenever I feel like it without leaving the game.

They could have just changed the reward. They could have given the shiny charm after completing the Regional Dex and then just give us a "Congratulations!" certificate if you complete the National Dex, like they did back in Gen 1. (Tbh, I don't even care if there is ANY reward at all)

There was no reason whatsoever to get rid of that feature.