• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Discussion & Speculation Thread

.Aerodactyl.

Again, I really feel like this is going to be a companion story... I don't think it's necessarily going to have tons of alternate universe mentions, but I think there will be hints and references to the first game, and that essentially this is a story that will hinge on aspects of the first and be the sort of "other side".

For example, we know Lusamine's husband disappeared in an ultra wormhole, what if THIS is where he disappeared too? (I know the whole "he's at Pelego" thing, but maybe that's ultra Sun's Mohn and they swapped. I mean, he's NOTHING like the Character mentioned in writing and memories and doesn't reference his family at all). I could see references like that. I def don't see huge Character changes in personality, but I do see alternative paths...I think Guzma on this side is a trial captain/gym leader. I could see Silvally never being created, Gladion not having a reason to be so moody, etc.

Last edited:

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member

.Aerodactyl.

I seriously doubt they would suddenly remove a Pokemon.

Oh, I don't think he'll be removed from the Dex or the game. I think they'll obviously have some kind of event where you get one from a universe crossing or whatever, IF they did that in the first place. I'm not saying they HAVE to do anything, I was just thinking of examples if stuff they could change. Similarly, they could have him created but made differently, essentially giving him a new "form" like Solgaleo and Lunaala. He's an important enough Pokémon that I think his story will be changed.

Perhaps this is a world where your mother never moved to Kanto...so you were born and raised in Alola all your life!

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Remember Samson Oak and Samuel Oak, they're not twin but they look the same, only hair and skin are different.

Maybe the same will happen with new MC and old MC, brother, look the same but different hairstyle and clothes.

The two Oaks looks similar, not the exact same. Even if you remove Samson's tan and hair, he would still look different from Professor Oak. The playable characters are literally the same exact person.

knightwolf09

Another thing, why does everyone thing the protags are the same character as last game? While they have the same face, they have completely different hair styles and clothes. I think these are different kids.

Akashin

Another thing, why does everyone thing the protags are the same character as last game? While they have the same face, they have completely different hair styles and clothes. I think these are different kids.

Different kids that so happen to have the same face and live in the same house, in a game where hairstyle and clothes can be changed and the default style isn't really all that important (to say nothing of the fact that clothes changing with the third version already happened with Platinum and to a lesser extent Emerald)? And no, them being some unknown brother/sister isn't a particularly strong explanation.

Fayh

I kinda suspect that a lot of people are getting their hopes up and will be very disappointed - like always.
I feel like many are really set on the whole "different universe" thing in a LITERAL sense.

Didn't they say: "Alternate story set in the world of Sun/Moon"?
(Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

To me, that just sounds like we will be in the exact same universe (without any "switched" NPCs, redesigned region or wormholes to the "original" Alola, etc.) with a slightly altered plot and some new gimmicks.
You know, just like Yellow to R/B/G, Crystal to G/S, Emerald to R/S and Platinum to D/P. Only that this time, they must somehow justify splitting it in two versions.

My prediction for what we will get:
- A few new forms
- A couple of new NPCs
- A couple of additional/reworked areas around Alola
- A new mini event/mini story about Lunala/Solgaleo and Necrozma

And if I was SUPER OPTIMISTIC, I'd wish for this:
- New Alolan forms (not gen 1)
- A new island and additional areas on the old islands
- A completely different plot with a different "villain"
- Additional/revamped trials
- Gyms after the trials
- Additional character customization options
- The return of the national dex
- Lillie to be nonexistant, DEAD, FORGOTTEN, EATEN BY MURKROWS

.Aerodactyl.

I totally understand the need for caution. If you are one of those people that will get seriously upset by speculation not panning out, better to err on the side of caution in terms of expectations.

I am at no risk of working myself into a frenzy and getting my hopes up over speculation. The things that would really disappoint me in these games is no customization, no battle frontier and no national Dex. I think we can already slightly confirm customization, and if not, I got through ORAS okay, I haven't had the battle frontier for three gens and have survived with my disappointment, and I already don't have the national dex and still enjoy playing sun. So I'm good.

Speculation wise, I think we should expect something very different from these stories. That doesn't necessarily mean an alternate universe thing, or that everyone will love it and think its worth buying, but I DO think it's safe to say, at least, that they've been really shaking up the model these last two gens and aren't trying to copy old models. I think they've even publicly stated that they don't want to repeat third versions, but don't quote me on that. So I agree that they aren't likely to be everything we speculate they are, but I also think its still safe to speculate that they won't be just another Emerald, Platinum, Crystal, etc.

Akashin

You know, just like Yellow to R/B/G, Crystal to G/S, Emerald to R/S and Platinum to D/P. Only that this time, they must somehow justify splitting it in two versions.

They don't have to justify anything. Regardless of the plot, the situation is no different than what we got with BW2; a third version split in two, that differs only in the ways ordinary paired versions usually do.

That one will focus on Solgaleo taking on Necrozma and the other on Lunala doing the same (or Necrozma hijacking them, or taking a form that looks like them, or whatever else your current explanation of choice is) is all they really need. It's exactly the same.

.Aerodactyl.

I do think two versions is a smart decision business wise. I know SO many people, kids, peers, who buy BOTH versions. I've honestly been tempted too myself just to have one I can replay and another to keep as my main. It's partly tradition, it fits the Pokémon model of encouraging others to battle, trade and interact together. The social aspect I think is part of what has made Pokémon such a celebrated franchise and so popular over the years. But it also means they sell more copies and make more money for very slight changes that don't take them that much work in comparison. It's just smart all around. I don't think that's the real mystery or needs any justification beyond marketing strategy.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Hoping that previous Z-crystals like Snorlaxium-Z and Mewnium-Z are released as events if not given to you...I don't want them to be tied down to my Sun game forever.

Fayh

They don't have to justify anything. Regardless of the plot, the situation is no different than what we got with BW2; a third version split in two, that differs only in the ways ordinary paired versions usually do.

That one will focus on Solgaleo taking on Necrozma and the other on Lunala doing the same (or Necrozma hijacking them, or taking a form that looks like them, or whatever else your current explanation of choice is) is all they really need. It's exactly the same.
Sorry but I disagree. BW2 were very different from yellow, Crystal, emerald and platinum.
BW2 were sequels with major plot/character/region differences to the prequel versions and not just a "third version split in two".

So there must be SOME reason they split ultra sun/moon instead of just giving us a third version that goes beyond "let's give the cover legendaries their own spot light".

I do think two versions is a smart decision business wise. I know SO many people, kids, peers, who buy BOTH versions. I've honestly been tempted too myself just to have one I can replay and another to keep as my main. It's partly tradition, it fits the Pokémon model of encouraging others to battle, trade and interact together. The social aspect I think is part of what has made Pokémon such a celebrated franchise and so popular over the years. But it also means they sell more copies and make more money for very slight changes that don't take them that much work in comparison. It's just smart all around. I don't think that's the real mystery or needs any justification beyond marketing strategy.
Yeah nah. Splitting BW2 made sense because they were direct sequels to BW, so we NEEDED two versions.

IF (!) Ultra Sun/Moon were only "third versions split in two" (aka very minor differences to the original), that would be a weird sales strategy because Ultra Sun/Moon must have been in development since before Sun/Moon's release. I assume it takes more than 12 months to create these new games, including marketing, production & shipping, etc.
GF had no way to know how well Sun/Moon would sell within the first year.
What if Sun/Moon's sales had been terrible? Then GF would have wasted a lot of resources on pumping out a split third version super quickly (announced only half a year after the release of Sun/Moon), thus potentially further harming sales.

So there must be SOMETHING that makes these versions different from Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum and justifies creating them so quickly AND makes GF confident that people would actually buy TWO games and not feel ripped off. I seriously doubt it will be just a third version split in two. (And that's me not even being overly optimistic)

Last edited:

Shadow XD001

The one thing that worries me about USUM is how they are going to perform on the 3DS. Even with the N3DS, SM still had issues. This upcoming game is less than a year (seriously, 364 days) after the previous games. I hope GameFreak knows what they are doing.

As for it being a sequel, that is likely. At least it probably won't be like the third versions because we are getting another paired release. However, the third versions in years past were released more than a year after their predecessor...

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
The one thing that worries me about USUM is how they are going to perform on the 3DS. Even with the N3DS, SM still had issues. This upcoming game is less than a year (seriously, 364 days) after the previous games. I hope GameFreak knows what they are doing.

As for it being a sequel, that is likely. At least it probably won't be like the third versions because we are getting another paired release. However, the third versions in years past were released more than a year after their predecessor...

Platinum worked much faster than DP did. I'm hoping they can perform another miracle.

Alola starters get hidden abilities.
Alola dex revamp to showcase new Alola formes for Johto Pokemon.
More past generation characters will cameo.

Sulfurian

Hopefully they also improve breeding for us breeders. Gen 6 was such a breeze and in Sun and Moon it really feels like a chore. That small little area in front of the daycare is pretty annoying after a while.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Alright. So I explored Alola again.
Unsurprisingly, there are indeed 8 empty spaces around that could be potential Gym locations.

Hau'oli City
- lot next to Malasada shop bulldozed by Machamps
- possibly Ilima

Heahea City
- lot next to the Pokemon Center
- possibly Mallow

Royal Avenue
- construction materials are sitting next to the Malasada shop; might replace fountain
- possibly Kiawe

Konikoni City
- lot south of the lighthouse across Lana's house
- possibly Lana

Malie City
- lot southwest of the library
- possibly Sophocles

Hokulani Observatory
- fenced area next to Pokemon Center
- possibly Molayne

Tapu Village
- lot right of Pokemon Center
- possibly Acerola

Seafolk Village
- the platform east of Pokemon Center
- possibly Mina

As I've posted before, there was a platform in the middle of Route 15 and it's way too odd to put a Gym in there so I disregarded it.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Hopefully they also improve breeding for us breeders. Gen 6 was such a breeze and in Sun and Moon it really feels like a chore. That small little area in front of the daycare is pretty annoying after a while.

Rather than the area itself, I think the problem originates from using the Circle-Pad, which becomes a chore issue when you speed up. It doesn't give the same comfortable vibe with pressing the arrow-buttons.