• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon will have Steelbook editions. Damn. This is the third time in a row a pair of main series Pokémon games come with one! This is unbelievable. Now I need to pre-order this.

...When it becomes available to pre-order in my country of course.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
More Steelbooks. Oh man how original. I know they started with them with OR/AS, but I am already sick of them. I rather want some figurines instead.

They're third versions. There isn't that much new they could reveal. It's more likely for them saving the content until the release to suprise the players.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
BTW, is it confirmed whether the protagonists for USUM are the same as SM or are they brand new protagonists?

Espmaster

There's no official word but they look nothing like original Protags

Doing a side by side comparison:

Pokemon-Sun-Moon_06-02-16_004.jpg

pokemon_ultra_sun_and_ultra_moon_protagonists_by_alexalan-dbbxb66.png

I agree. Personally, I feel that they are probably new protagonists.

(Also, a disclaimer: The bottom image is from DeviantArt, it is not official. However, it matches very well with what was shown in the trailers, so I think it's fair to use for this.)

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Based on the actual in-game models on videos, their faces especially the eyes, are pretty much the same.

One can argue that they are totally different people, but one can also argue that they are the same despite the change in hairstyle and attire.
There is no confirmation as to who they actually are, so there's currently no right or wrong here.

scififan21

Everybody assumes they are the same because they look similar. This doesn't mean anything though because it's the first time we've had four games set in the same region. Perhaps they didn't want to go through making them look drastically different. Also first time characters weren't chibified(?) was in S/M so maybe that has something to do with it.

Side note: Steelbook looks awesome have it for S/M definitely want one for US/UM.

.Aerodactyl.

Based on the actual in-game models on videos, their faces especially the eyes, are pretty much the same.

One can argue that they are totally different people, but one can also argue that they are the same despite the change in hairstyle and attire.
There is no confirmation as to who they actually are, so there's currently no right or wrong here.

This is so true. I also think it's too early to tell. And, I mean, these protagonists were designed for us to change later with customization too, so there is that to consider. In some ways, protagonists will never be designed in quite the same way they used to be. I personally think they look really similar, just different hair cut and clothes really, but we also don't have official art which would make all the difference. THAT could really help because the artist wild be able to add those little touches, changes in expressions, posing, etc. If they're meant to be different Characters. As it stands, we only have game footage, which is purposefully "bland" in expression so we can self insert. Looking similar doesn't quite guarantee they're the same though, as you said, because they aren't changing the game models (unlike gen 6 where ORAS did change the models). They could just look the same because they're a blank template and they don't want to redo all their customization art and coding. Easier to keep to the same models.

My personal theory is that they are the same protagonists technically (so we have the same mom), but in this alternate universe you actually grew up in Alola instead of just moving there, or at least have been living there for a year or more. I have zero evidence for this, it's just a guess, so take it with a grain of salt! I'm just going by the two seconds of game footage of the open garage that looks lived in and not full of moving boxes, and the fact that after SUMO they don't have to re-introduce us to the entire culture of Alola. A protagonist that just moved to Alola was a great lens and excuse to have all that exposition about trials, the Tapu's, etc. This time around we shouldn't need so much explanation cause we as the player have been with Alola for a year and know what trials and all that are, we have the anime now and all that.

Thure

Doing a side by side comparison:

Pokemon-Sun-Moon_06-02-16_004.jpg

pokemon_ultra_sun_and_ultra_moon_protagonists_by_alexalan-dbbxb66.png

I agree. Personally, I feel that they are probably new protagonists.

(Also, a disclaimer: The bottom image is from DeviantArt, it is not official. However, it matches very well with what was shown in the trailers, so I think it's fair to use for this.)

If I draw them completelly different of course they will look like different people Ingame they look way more similiar than that.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
If I draw them completelly different of course they will look like different people Ingame they look way more similiar than that.

Yeah I feel that the protagonists are the same. The face and features look more or less the same except with different clothes and hairstyle.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
The Ultra Dual Pack for Europe is amazing! For the first time ever, I think I will get that edition of the games! Don't give a damn for the 50 Potions :p

Waiting for the local game store to put the pack on its website...

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Am I like, the only one who has no idea what a steelbook is?

It's basically a fancy steel box rather than the usual plastic one. At least that's what I remember it being (I don't have one myself but a friend did).

As for the steelbooks I'm honestly not a fan of the EU dual edition one. I do not like the colour at all and think it looks pretty plain compared to the one you get separately with each game. I do really like the separate ones tho, especially the Lunala one. If we don't get figurines with the games this time I'll be going for the steelbooks. If we do get figures I'll be going for those as I have every single one so far and would like to have all future ones as well.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
BTW, is it confirmed whether the protagonists for USUM are the same as SM or are they brand new protagonists?

Just look at the trailer. It's literally the exact same person, and there's no arguing otherwise. They haven't said anything one way or another, but they really don't need to.

knightwolf09

Just look at the trailer. It's literally the exact same person, and there's no arguing otherwise. They haven't said anything one way or another, but they really don't need to.

Aren't you just judging their the same by just face and eyes alone? I mean completely different clothes, hairstyles? I mean other third versions just update them a bit, this is more than an update

Espmaster

Well, fair enough. Upon closer scrutiny, the artist did change facial features subtly from how they were shown in the gameplay footage. I think I got caught up in wishful thinking.

I'm gonna stay agnostic on this for now and see what is revealed/said about it. What's happening here doesn't have a lot of precedent in the franchise. The closest thing I can think of is the Kris/Lyra thing. Are they two different people in the games but the same person in the manga? Or is Lyra just Kris but with a different name and clothes (and hair)? Of course, it may not be the best comparison given that Lyra and Kris have more different appearances than Sun/Moon and the USUM protagonists.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
All third versions have the same protagonists with a couple of changes. RBY had the same one for each game and the male in gen 2 was the same in Crystal as he was in GS with Crystal introducing a female protagonist for the very first time. Emerald had the heroes dressed in green. Platinum had different clothes more suited for a colder climate. Only BW2 were drastically different with new heroes.