• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I predict the characters are going to remain 11. I'm personally indifferent to this though.

Akashin

If this is really a sequel to SM, then I'm hoping for the protagonists to stay the same except a bit older. One thing I didn't like about BW2 is the use of new protagonists. Sure, I liked the new designs, but I didn't feel the whole "sequel feeling" with them.

How would you justify playing as a character who is already the first Champion of Alola and the canonical partner of Solgaleo/Lunala to boot? You could potentially write Solgaleo/Lunala as having left to join Lillie once she becomes a Trainer, or something to that effect, but you can't exactly erase that your character is an experienced Champion.

The inability to play a game based around being a new Trainer on a new adventure is probably why Hilbert and Hilda were replaced in BW2, as well.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
To me, it sounds like a third-version retelling with his words, "...an alternate story in the world of Sun and Moon."

My memory is fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure the verbiage was more clear when they announced B2/W2 and described pretty clearly that it took place in the future, with an all-new storyline.

Last edited:

Sarleekotcam

The Real Tsareena
The thing that stood out to me was the field of Pikachus and that this gens 'clone' and Mimikyu are also highlighted. Whether it's a sequel or a remake I'm so excited to see the changes especially since Togedemaru and Mimikyu were only located in one place(I think) each and Togedemaru didn't get much attention before.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
It sounds like a third-version retelling to me with his words, "...an alternate story in the world of Sun and Moon."

My memory is fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure the verbiage was more clear when they announced B2/W2 and described pretty clearly that it took place in the future, with an all-new storyline.

I really hope it isn't. The thing is, Emerald and Platinum changed the main story somewhat to include both box legends in the main story. Emerald has both Groudon and Kyogre featuring in the story. In Platinum both Dialga and Palkia are there. Here we have two versions, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. If you can still only get Solgaleo in Ultra Sun and only Lunala in Ultra Moon, and they only change the story a little bit to include the Necrozma stuff, I fear they won't really have much to separate themselves from Sun and Moon. A sequel would actually be an incentive to get both to experience the full story. Crystal was a bit different as neither Lugia nor Ho-Oh were actually featured in the story. If I recall correctly you didn't even have to meet them at all in the entire game, although they changed that in HGSS

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
What I'm hoping for if it's a sequel...

-Hau to be the new Kahuna of MeleMele Island, or alternatively for Hala to return to MeleMele and Hau to take his place in the Elite Four
-Someone established like Gladion to be the Champion, possibly even the Sun/Moon character of the opposite gender could be Champion instead.
-Lusamine to be a redeemed character working for the good side and helping to research the Ultra Beast/Necrozma connection
-Lillie to return, having undergone some development... perhaps she could be in a Professor-type role like Bianca?

Relax

Has anyone noticed the new starting clothing? It looks a bit weird tbh, it all looks more tropical it seems?

Sarleekotcam

The Real Tsareena
-Lillie to return, having undergone some development... perhaps she could be in a Professor-type role like Bianca?

She has the background to be a professor! That would be so awesome!

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Has anyone noticed the new starting clothing? It looks a bit weird tbh, it all looks more tropical it seems?

The male's design makes me think of the male protagonist from Black2 and White2. And since this is still Poke-Hawaii, shouldn't the theme be tropical-ish?

DJStarstryker

Hopefully we get a very different story. I don't want a 3rd version-type of story. I'd rather it be like B2/W2. It doesn't have to be a sequel per se, just have a story that's completely different. Otherwise it might be hard for me to justify buying it.

Anyway, the number one thing I'd like to see is the full National Dex in the game. It really bugs me that it's not in Sun/Moon. I just got into Pokemon again with Sun/Moon after skipping a few generations, and I was looking forward to filling out a full in-game National Dex over time. That was one of the things I wanted the most in Sun/Moon and it simply wasn't there.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
The male's design makes me think of the male protagonist from Black2 and White2. And since this is still Poke-Hawaii, shouldn't the theme be tropical-ish?

IMO anyway, most of the Male clothing in S/M seemed more Business attire then tropical or beach. Button up and collared shirts and the pants looked more like dress pants.

More tropical clothing would be a welcome change.

Last edited:

Sulfurian

I know new Megas probably wouldn't happen. Just for the love of Arceus completely remove Festival Plaza. It put a bad taste in my mouth and simply "updating" it won't honestly change that for me.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
Hopefully we get a very different story. I don't want a 3rd version-type of story. I'd rather it be like B2/W2. It doesn't have to be a sequel per se, just have a story that's completely different. Otherwise it might be hard for me to justify buying it.

Anyway, the number one thing I'd like to see is the full National Dex in the game. It really bugs me that it's not in Sun/Moon. I just got into Pokemon again with Sun/Moon after skipping a few generations, and I was looking forward to filling out a full in-game National Dex over time. That was one of the things I wanted the most in Sun/Moon and it simply wasn't there.

You know, I had the exact same idea for the XY third game, split in two versions with a new story taking X/Y's place in the timeline but it didn't happen... until now. This isn't something they have done before. Just think:

Red/Blue - Yellow
Gold/Silver - Crystal
Ruby/Sapphire - FireRed/LeafGreen - Emerald
Diamond/Pearl - Platinum - Heart Gold/Soul Silver

At this point GF decides to become unpredictable. And such...

Black/White - Black2/White2 (sequels)
X/Y - Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (no third versions)
Sun/Moon - Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon (dual third version; new story)

Yep, they haven't done this before. Bravo Masuda. Keeping your word as always!

Sarleekotcam

The Real Tsareena
I know new Megas probably wouldn't happen. Just for the love of Arceus completely remove Festival Plaza. It put a bad taste in my mouth and simply "updating" it won't honestly change that for me.

I hope if they keep it that they actually make it useful. When I saw you could buy pokeballs at one of the shops I was hoping for ones like Heavy balls and Moon balls.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
What did you guys make of the new z-ring (I forget if that's the actual name, sorry) thing where he turns the crystal? Being that it was black, I would say that it relates to the necrozma combination. But do you think new forms or fusions will be made for other Pokémon (like the z-forms speculated before SM released)? At the very least, I want new z-moves for some (if not all) of the starters.

Interested in that as well.
For some reason i get the idea of Z-Move "Overdrive", or something like that as its naming.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
From the previous discussion on the S/M thread: 'Pokemon not found on the original games', that sounds to me like the legend's alternate forms, and maybe some known pokemon that we weren't able to find in Alola the first time. It really doesn't sound like new pokemon at all.

Yeah, no, sorry. Still don't get it. One year between gens is better than two years between gens. We're all enjoying it, right? So as long as quality isn't giving out for quantity then I really don't get all the whining. Sorry if this comes across as harsh or condescending but something about this kind of attitude just irks me so much, it seems like a gratitude problem to me tbh.

But the concern is about quantity over quality. Sun/Moon felt rushed, there were very few new pokemon and not a lot of post-game (for reference, Yokai Watch 2 was released at about the same time, I've logged many more hours on it, yet I'm closer to what I'd consider 'completing' S/M). The question is, is a year really enough time for them to fix the issues of S/M, and add in enough stuff to justify another $45 game?

Last edited:

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I wouldn't count on these being sequels:

Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon have been powered up with new additions to the story and features of Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon! These titles are coming to the Nintendo 3DS family of systems on November 17, 2017.

It sounds more like they're doing a Platinum rather then a B2W2.

Last edited:
IMO anyway, most of the Male clothing in S/M seemed more Business attire then tropical or beach. Button up and collared shirts and the pants looked more like dress pants.

More tropical clothing would be a welcome change.

I don't mind the clothing in general being tropical but I hope for a bit more variation. In SM there wasn't a single long-sleeved shirt or full-length pants, at least for the male player.
And, assuming we're going to visit the same locations as in SM, there is going to be a giant snow-covered mountain.

utlhmsus

The clips of Lycanroc and Mimikyu I'm almost certain are exclusive Z-moves. What I really want is more new forms (aside from the two that we already know about), preferably Alola forms for Johto Pokemon.

XY&Z Legend

Just chillin
If Masuda said that Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon would feature an "alternative" story, could this mean he was referring to the alternate dimension plot theory that Zinnia brought up from ORAS? I know that sounds ridiculous at first glance, but then it became more obvious when we learn that the Anabel we've seen from Sun & Moon came from the non-mega universe, which strengthened Zinnia's claim even further. If that's the case, then this game might resolve the Pokemon Multiverse arc that started back in ORAS.

Speaking about featuring pokemon that didn't appear from the previous games, it'll be interesting if they feature more character cameos that didn't make the cut in Sun & Moon.