• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Thanks. I'm really liking that.

Well in this case, I wouldn't be as excited by that either. The Alola Dex is already fairly balanced, and much better off than some other regional dexes, the only real issue is too many 1st gen Pokemon and not enough 7th gen Pokemon (the latter of which isn't even fixable short of going a Gen 7.5 route but I don't think they want to do that). But having a ton of new Pokemon in the game is something that helps keep the game interested and different from the original, it really changes team dynamics and storyline battles.

I suppose it's not that big of a deal for our second trip into Alola. I just know I hated how thinly stretched the Kalos Pokémon were in X and Y.

Maybe not, but mobile is responsible for what's happened to the last 2 or 3 generations.

I won't deny that.

Because the term "alternate universe" could easily describe a generic third version with minimal changes. Hell, if you have a copy/paste game with Lillie standing 3 squares to the right that's still an alternate universe.

Again, doesn't rule anything out but it does indicate that a sense of minimalism in this game.

Sure, it could mean that, but what reason do we have to assume they're making any less changes than they did to Platinum? Why would they evem bpther making these games if there were no significant changes to be made.

knightwolf09

Again, you guys are missing the point. It's not about why did we get USUM after SM, that much is obvious. It's about why we got SM on the 3DS in the first place, that never sat well with me and I knew all of this would happen as a result. 6th gen could've afforded to last another year and then we could've had 7th gen on the Switch after that, and that would've made a lot more sense on multiple levels. How is it excusable that Game Freak routinely transitions to new hardware later than expected and prolongs the aging hardware with additional generations? There's no reason SM couldn't have been a Switch game in 2017 instead of a 3DS game in 2016, especially when the games were meant to be future proofed with HD assets in the first place.

I don't think it's absolutely necessary for it to be a switch game to be "excusable". I never did get the craze for that either. A switch a freaking expensive compared to an already pricey 3DS, and some people are fine with sticking with their alternative. With a switch it somewhat forces people to spring for a much more expensive console just to keep up, and some aren't up for that when they need that kind of money for other more important stuff. It's fine to progress in terms of tech and graphics for the game but for those who aren't too big of spenders it'll be a wallet hurters, at least have some sympathy for those people instead of complaining that a game isn't on a certain device that you want it to be.

Sulfurian

I won't deny that the beautiful region of Alola is wasted on the 3Ds. Sure it has those areas that look absolutely stunning, even on a handheld. But with the Switch's power I could easily see the region rivaling the beauty that is Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
After thinking about it some, the fact that the music has been updated could actually be a really good sign for these games. The only "third version" to have old battles themes redone was Black and White 2, as the others only added new music or made no changes at all. And even then, the changes made to Black and White 2's battle themes weren't even that major. This seems like a pretty significant change to the theme. I would imagine that remixing old music that's still considered up-to-date would be a relatively low priority on the list of things to do in a third version, so if they're doing that, that must mean they've made some pretty good changes elsewhere and still had the capability to remix the music.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking things. It is just music, after all.

I don't think it's absolutely necessary for it to be a switch game to be "excusable". I never did get the craze for that either. A switch a freaking expensive compared to an already pricey 3DS, and some people are fine with sticking with their alternative. With a switch it somewhat forces people to spring for a much more expensive console just to keep up, and some aren't up for that when they need that kind of money for other more important stuff. It's fine to progress in terms of tech and graphics for the game but for those who aren't too big of spenders it'll be a wallet hurters, at least have some sympathy for those people instead of complaining that a game isn't on a certain device that you want it to be.

The Switch costs $300. The 3DS may be much cheaper than that now, but back when it came out, it costed $250. Does $50 really make that much of a difference? The same exact argument could have been made about changing over to the 3DS back during Gen V.

knightwolf09

After thinking about it some, the fact that the music has been updated could actually be a really good sign for these games. The only "third version" to have old battles themes redone was Black and White 2, as the others only added new music or made no changes at all. And even then, the changes made to Black and White 2's battle themes weren't even that major. This seems like a pretty significant change to the theme. I would imagine that remixing old music that's still considered up-to-date would be a relatively low priority on the list of things to do in a third version, so if they're doing that, that must mean they've made some pretty good changes elsewhere and still had the capability to remix the music.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking things. It is just music, after all.

The Switch costs $300. The 3DS may be much cheaper than that now, but back when it came out, it costed $250. Does $50 really make that much of a difference? The same exact argument could have been made about changing over to the 3DS back during Gen V.

The switch is around 400, that's double that of a 3DS

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Last edited:

Hoennking

It's retail price is $300, so unless you're looking at scalpers or including other accessories it's only $50 more then the 3DS at launch (ignoring tax of course).

he's probably from canada like me. switch is 399 here. people cant assume its 299 everywhere in latin america and mexico its like 500-600. But by the time pokemon arrives the price will probably cheaper. 3ds was 249 then 199 later on. 2ds came out before x and y which was 129. you dont have to buy a right this second to play pokemon

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Sure, it could mean that, but what reason do we have to assume they're making any less changes than they did to Platinum? Why would they evem bpther making these games if there were no significant changes to be made.

I just explained it. They're pumping out these games a year after the originals for a casual audience that doesn't care about depth. Hard to really expect a lot under those circumstances.

That's how gaming works though, you'll have to pony up that money for a Switch sooner or later. It makes more sense to have it sooner because it helps sell the system early and it allows them to align the generations with the console's life cycle keeping them relevant. Not going to sell as many games on the console that's in the process of being phased out.

Thure

he's probably from canada like me. switch is 399 here. people cant assume its 299 everywhere in latin america and mexico its like 500-600. But by the time pokemon arrives the price will probably cheaper. 3ds was 249 then 199 later on. 2ds came out before x and y which was 129. you dont have to buy a right this second to play pokemon

399 Canadian Dollar ARE 315 US Dollar.

knightwolf09

I'm from Maryland though. Stores around here have em for around 400. So what's up with my area?

.Aerodactyl.

Guys, they're a BUSINESS. Whatever decisions they make about what device to put what games on isn't all Willy Nilly. They pour money into marketing research and demographics to try and maximize their profits. We will never be able to guess 100% why they do everything they do, but I can assure you it came down to careful decisions, and likely done to make them the most money.

More people have a 3DS then a switch...that in itself well automatically make them more money. Even if they had waited a year and put gen 7 on the switch, that would be coming out about now, and there is still far more DS users than Switch. We're also neglecting to remember how long they've been working on these games...they had started this back in XY people. They had NO idea how well the switch would do, how many would be sold, it was safe and made them the most money, point blank.

They also aren't JUST the games. They sell toys, cards, movies and the anime to a younger generation then us...the timing of all this has to work together for Max profit for them. Coming out on the Switch too soon is a bad move.

As for me, I can't afford a switch. $50 DOES make a difference, because you're forgetting all the other bells and whistles you gotta buy with it, also other games (unless you're gonna run only Pokémon on it). I have other expenses, I have rent, food, car... It's not just paying another $50 to get a switch, I'm paying another $400 out the gate after only getting a 3DS for XY. Thanks nice thing about XY coming out after the 3DS had release dis it gave time for the price of the thing to come down. Waiting for a switch release also means the price of the Switch will likely come down by the time a game is released on it.

It's new so there is less on the platform... Also the dollar conversion doesn't make something cost the same around the world. I'm from Canada, just because in American dollars it's 315, doesn't mean I'm not paying more than an American out of pocket in comparison when looking at my income. I live in the most expensive part of Canada.

Thing is, the likely wait before transferring a generation to a new platform or game system because the numbers aren't there to buy the games and maximize profits. It also insures they can forsee the popularity and viability of the system in question. It's smart business for them.

Last edited:

knightwolf09

Oh, yeah one thing I'm curious about. What come after the Switch? Pokemon are supposed to handhelds more than consoles and the switch kind of fulfills that role, but they just going to keep it up like that for now on or is there going to be another handheld system in the future?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I can't afford a Switch right now either. I am on a budget and I need to pay rent and other bills every month and getting one before the price drops just doesn't work for me. Plus there are only three games out right now that I'm interested in playing.

Hoennking

agreed im glad USM or sun and moon arent on switch. Im not gonna pay 400 dollars excluding tax for a system and 79.99 for the games just for pokemon. 3DS games in canada are 49.99 much cheaper than 79.99. Im glad that they announced a switch game this early on though. so i can save up for it and hopefully theres a price drop. i love pokemon but its just a hobby. i got bills to pay

shadowF

I am guessing if we do not get a trailer this week and in the end just get news about dusk form lycanroc on corocoro then we will probably just get a new pokemon form/or something on the opening day of worlds. So that would mean us getting a trailer in September which should line up with B2W2 marketing. I guess that also means there will probably be very few new forms in the end. Maybe 6 or something.

Hoennking

Oh, yeah one thing I'm curious about. What come after the Switch? Pokemon are supposed to handhelds more than consoles and the switch kind of fulfills that role, but they just going to keep it up like that for now on or is there going to be another handheld system in the future?

who knows. i mean were talking about system thats 6-7 years away

Hoennking

I am guessing if we do not get a trailer this week and in the end just get news about dusk form lycanroc on corocoro then we will probably just get a new pokemon form/or something on the opening day of worlds. So that would mean us getting a trailer in September which should line up with B2W2 marketing. I guess that also means there will probably be very few new forms in the end. Maybe 6 or something.

wouldnt corocoro and anime give us the typing and ability

knightwolf09

wouldnt corocoro and anime give us the typing and ability

Probably yeah. Still curious as to what it gets. I'm also curious if it gets it's own move upon evolving. Really hoping GF doesn't drop the ball on this one cause they've been kind of slipping with some mons.

Baggie_Saiyan

This is something that we should be used to by now regardless. There's no excuse. Once SUMO was revealed it should've been common sense that we'd get another installment on 3DS the next year. It happens with every new generation. There is no 'timing' issue it's literally people whining because they want the new thing NOW.

Right and that is what is so annoying. Fans got the stupid idea in their heads about Stars and DP remakes thus having unrealistic self expectations going into the Direct and the fallout was nothing short of embarrassing. I'm at least glad influential folks like Shofu at least had common sense about the whole thing but yeah not a fan of this self entitlement I've been seeing from the fan base on social media.