• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Face looks the same for all characters in these games. I don't see any difference in the faces of Lillie and Gladion for instance.

Not really. Lillie and Gladion have completely different eyes. Gladion has eyes with sharp angles and thick eyebrows, while Lillie has round eyes with big pupils. I'll admit that sometimes the low resolution 3D models makes some faces look the same, but the eyes are almost always distinguishing features. In this case, the eyes of both protagonists are exactly the same.

Let's be real here. The only thing we actually know of these games is that they'll come out in November 2017 on the 3DS, that they're Alola Games, and that they have new forms of some sort for Lunala and Solgaleo (not counting event-only Lycanroc as game content as it's event only). Because they've told us literally nothing yet. The only thing we got is a video with a few seconds of footage which could have been edited and put together in all sorts of ways. They show us the house where the protagonist in SM lived, and people simply make out of that that the player character in USUM must live there as well, even though that's never directly stated.

Technically true. But there is literally no reason to doubt that these are same characters. I don't even care about the house the part. You're right, the house could be any number of things, but that's not the definitive evidence. What's definitive is that we've seen the protagonist, and it's the exact same person wearing different clothes, which isn't unusual by any means, given the history of third versions.

People see empty stands in SM and turn that into "Gyms are coming". And people see that USUM and SM have similar names so they turn that into "USUM are sequals because BW2 re-used the names too".

Okay, so people speculate, what does that have to with whether or not the playable character is the same person?

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
Yes it's the same room. But it's pokémon. The game where you can enter pretty much everyone's house without permission and just hop into their beds without permission. Just because they show the old house doesn't mean that the player character also lives in that house.

Beds in S/M, I can agree with. Houses on the other side... a myriad of inaccessible-yet-having-doors-houses in S/M would like to have a word with you.

And speaking on that topic, I really hope they allow us to enter those places. Making them inaccessible just takes from the exploring and make the cities seem bigger.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
To be fair we can't exactly say if the characters are the ones from SUMO or different, again we know nearly nothing about these games. However, we have to remember that this is likely an alternate universe version of SUMO, so a lot will be different, so it's not a crazy idea for them to be different characters.

Also derailing the above topic a bit, I expect that 'Dream Park'(Was that what the man called it?) on Route 8 to actually be there. It'd be a shame if it weren't.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
And speaking on that topic, I really hope they allow us to enter those places. Making them inaccessible just takes from the exploring and make the cities seem bigger.

Yeah, if I remember correctly, that one old west-themed town only had one building you could go into, not counting hte Pokémon Center. That was pretty lame.

To be fair we can't exactly say if the characters are the ones from SUMO or different, again we know nearly nothing about these games. However, we have to remember that this is likely an alternate universe version of SUMO, so a lot will be different, so it's not a crazy idea for them to be different characters.

But we do have pictures of the playable character, showing them to be the same person. We don't need to know any more than that. Saying it's a different person is like saying the playable characters of Emerald or Platinum are different from those of Ruby/Sapphire or Diamond/Pearl.

Also derailing the above topic a bit, I expect that 'Dream Park'(Was that what the man called it?) on Route 8 to actually be there. It'd be a shame if it weren't.

You mean the place that referenced Jurassic Park, right? That would be awesome, but I can't say I see it as likely myself. I never personally thought it was more than just a joke. But I'd sure love to see some sort of fossil Pokémon-filled resort.

knightwolf09

People have been speculating about those even before Sun and Moon came out, as they were visible on the map of Alola. At first I thought it meant we would get gyms in the post-games. Once I beat the games with no gyms, I decided that they must mean that we'll get sequels. Now that true sequels have been ruled out (sorry, they have), there's still three possibilities for these construction sites. The one you pointed out, where construction simply finished faster, they do get constructed in these game's post-game, or these games are some sort of pseudo-sequel, taking place after the events of Sun and Moon, but with the same playable character. Personally I find the last one not that likely, and the second the most likely.

Look at these pictures. Note the face and the hair especially.
pokemonsun1.jpg
uYsKgOwlRAe8hOGo6TDt_Pokemon-Ultra-SunMoon-1024x435.jpeg

How are they possibly different characters? They have different clothes, and slightly different hairdos, but the face is exactly the same, and the hair is still very similar. Are you saying that changing clothes and hairdo makes this a different person?

Well knowing pokemon, yes, especially since they're supposed to be customizable so of course the face is bland and similar. Out of all the times character were used in 3rd version, what instance did the character drastically change wardrobe, and have different hairstyles?

Akashin

Well knowing pokemon, yes, especially since they're supposed to be customizable so of course the face is bland and similar. Out of all the times character were used in 3rd version, what instance did the character drastically change wardrobe, and have different hairstyles?

On the flipside, why is customization a viable explanation for similarities between the two characters (assuming they're different characters) but not a viable explanation for why the differences are a bit more drastic (assuming they're the same)? To say nothing of the fact that, despite the baffling argument that it might not mean anything, the trailer very strongly suggests we're still from the same home and everything.

Last edited:

Erron Black

The Outlaw
But we do have pictures of the playable character, showing them to be the same person. We don't need to know any more than that. Saying it's a different person is like saying the playable characters of Emerald or Platinum are different from those of Ruby/Sapphire or Diamond/Pearl

I'm not saying the characters are the same and I'm not saying they aren't. I'm just saying we can't just assume based on what we see. Does evidence seem to prove the characters are the same? At this point, yeah, but it doesn't mean they are.

All I'm saying is neither one is confirmed to be true.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
who cares whether it's a new silent self-insert or the previous one, it makes zero difference

knightwolf09

It's clear as day there the same protagonists. People setting themselves for disappointment thinking otherwise

Why would that disappoint us. It's OUR character. It can be anything.

On the flipside, why is customization a viable explanation for similarities between the two characters (assuming they're different characters) but not a viable explanation for why the differences are a bit more drastic (assuming they're the same)? To say nothing of the fact that, despite the baffling argument that it might not mean anything, the trailer very strongly suggests we're still from the same home and everything.

Also, why can't it be different characters living in the same house? It is an "alternate" story. Could be a different kid, especially the trailers kind of hint this character must've been living in Alola for a good while.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Emerald and Platinum.

I'm not saying the characters are the same and I'm not saying they aren't. I'm just saying we can't just assume based on what we see. Does evidence seem to prove the characters are the same? At this point, yeah, but it doesn't mean they are.

All I'm saying is neither one is confirmed to be true.

It's certainly not wrong to say it isn't outright confirmed, and normally I shy away from making assumptions when speculating, but this isn't even speculation. Saying it's possiblr that these are different protagonist is like looking at trailer and saying that Necrozma may not play a major part in this game. After all, it has not been outright confirmed, and for all we know, that armor on Solgaleo and Lunala may just look like Necozma and have nothing to do with it otherwise. But there's no one saying that.

who cares whether it's a new silent self-insert or the previous one, it makes zero difference

It makes a pretty big and game-defining difference. If it's the same protagonist, then the story will likely be a rehash/update of the one in Sun and Moon. If it's a different character, then we'll likely be getting a whole new story. I know you don't care much about the story, but you can't say the difference doesn't matter.

04n70n10

You mean the place that referenced Jurassic Park, right? That would be awesome, but I can't say I see it as likely myself. I never personally thought it was more than just a joke. But I'd sure love to see some sort of fossil Pokémon-filled resort.

Maybe a Jurassic Poképark where you can encounter some "fossil" pokémon in the wild? It sounds nice to me. That area can also be expanded in USUM.
and a tyrantrum breaks the fence...

On a side note, definitely someone of GF is a fan of Jurassic Park since the first generation

Last edited:

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
If that fossil park means an expanded (or different) group of fossil Pokémon available for the Alola Dex, then count me in.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
Well they said nothing about BW2 until two months before release, so it's a bit early to jump to that conclusion. But I'm concerned about that for other reasons (such as the short development time and the Switch game looming).

The development time is no shorter than ORAS - in which they introduced an entire new 3D region and programmed all the characters, models, story, and more - and the Switch title isn't particularly likely to come in 2018, so it's unlikely to be far enough along in development to have negatively impacted the available resources for USUM.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
We also have the room. Which looks identical to the ones in sun and moon minus some aesthics changes like the switch and autograph

I really really tried to see it from all angles, but it definitely is the same room.

https://heavyeditorial.files.wordpr...ndo-switch.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&strip=all

(She's so freaking cute, I can't wait n__n;; )

Face looks the same for all characters in these games. I don't see any difference in the faces of Lillie and Gladion for instance. Let's be real here. The only thing we actually know of these games is that they'll come out in November 2017 on the 3DS, that they're Alola Games, and that they have new forms of some sort for Lunala and Solgaleo (not counting event-only Lycanroc as game content as it's event only). Because they've told us literally nothing yet. The only thing we got is a video with a few seconds of footage which could have been edited and put together in all sorts of ways. They show us the house where the protagonist in SM lived, and people simply make out of that that the player character in USUM must live there as well, even though that's never directly stated. People see empty stands in SM and turn that into "Gyms are coming". And people see that USUM and SM have similar names so they turn that into "USUM are sequals because BW2 re-used the names too".

Yes it's the same room. But it's pokémon. The game where you can enter pretty much everyone's house without permission and just hop into their beds without permission. Just because they show the old house doesn't mean that the player character also lives in that house.

Based on the camera angle, it seems to be the same that they used when they showed the player avatar for the original games. Besides, when has another version besides BW2 that they changed the player's house/location?

Beds in S/M, I can agree with. Houses on the other side... a myriad of inaccessible-yet-having-doors-houses in S/M would like to have a word with you.

The bedrooms have looked very similar across all generations. It's quite probable that it is the same room, but it's also possible that it is a new room.

After taking this long to give us any information, and all we got was another alternate form, I'm fairly confident USUM are finished versions of SM instead of a pair of sequels. Normally I would buy both versions and play through both. When Sun and Moon released, I got 1 copy of Sun and 2 copies of Moon, 1 being for my boyfriend. I pre-ordered the steelbook dual pack for USUM from Amazon, but I will probably give him the UM and won't bother picking up a second copy this time, unless there are enough differences between US and UM, as well as with SM, to warrant me playing through the story two more times.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Still not any real news.

Edit: Looks like I was right from the beginning. I predicted that from the games announcement that we wouldn't get much real news til September. Almost there.

Last edited: