• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Wouldn't it be way too soon? I mean, Route 15 is right next to Tapu Village. Besides, putting a Gym on a Route feels weird.

The Tapu Village one could be the last gym. But yeah, it's still way too close.
Why is a random platform there to begin with anyway? XD

I want this to happen. Then maybe the town would have more reason to exist. Seriously, there's no reason at all to go back after you defeat Guzma, took the Buginium Z, and took the Skull Grunt clothing. You can't even heal in the Pokecenter anymore.

Also because I want to see what it looks like in a time when Team Skull isn't destroying the place.

I honestly expected Po Town becoming a normal town in SM's post-game. But the Skull grunts just stayed there.
It's a fully-built town. Pretty sure they would do something with it in USUM.

Baggie_Saiyan

You realize that a big part of the story of SM was bringing a proper Pokemon League to Alola, right? Eventually introducing Gyms as a part of that makes absolutely perfect sense, whether it's something we'll actually see happen in-game or not.

That is the league, we were constantly told the Island trials were how they do things in Alola, it was tradition, the whole thing the Islands Kahuna's etc all revolves around trials, it doesn't make sense to suddenly abandon them for gyms especially when Kikiui's big take away was that they needed the Pokemon league not the gyms, it doesn't make sense to start with the league and then go and make gyms.

With Ultra in the name, the Ultra Beasts will obviously be playing a larger role in the main story this time. Perhaps this comment belongs in the new forms thread, but considering Necrozma supposedly isn't an UB, but has seemingly fused with Solgaleo/Lunala, perhaps it has the ability to fuse with each of the UB's. Or perhaps it's more about it's ability Prism Armour, and it fuses with Solgaleo/Lunala to help fight off the other UB's.

While it is fun to speculate, I'll admit I was disappointed with the reveal. It just feels too soon after Sun/Moon to be going back for the 3rd/Sequel. If it had been on the Switch I think I would have been more excited. Johto Alolan forms please!

I don't think so the timing makes sense, the interest in Alola is there, Nintendo just released a new 3ds family system, if we got no game this year but US/UM in 2018 I know I would be over it and Platinum came 2 years after DP and barely sold a fraction of what DP did, I know I didn't bother getting it.

I am also struggling to understand this Switch thing...? Like they have never jumped to a main console ever, is it because the Switch can be handheld that people think they will? Even then Nintendo are still supporting their 3ds family products the Switch is new, they aren't gonna risk alienating their fanbase like that. Not to mention Pokemon games on 3ds and other systems have always been affordable, jumping to main console means main console pricing and more alienation. Pokemon has been popular and remained popular because it was affordable.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Her trial was the Dragon trial. She was the captain but didn't rewplaced it with a new trial. It's part of her personality not lazy design. This thing gives her a lot of personality.

I didn't pick up on that on my playthrough, if I recall correctly there was no captain at all for the Dragon trial, just a bunch of signs. Besides, if she's the captain of the Dragon trial, what's she doing giving away Fairium Z?

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I didn't pick up on that on my playthrough, if I recall correctly there was no captain at all for the Dragon trial, just a bunch of signs. Besides, if she's the captain of the Dragon trial, what's she doing giving away Fairium Z?

Yes. There is no Trial Captain for the Dragon Trial (could've been Ryuki).
Mina just happened to be on the Vast Poni Canyon. She never really did her job because she's too occupied with her passion.

"Guess I didn't introduce myself though. I'm Mina. I'm the captain."
"I mean, I sort of am. I actually just wander around doing my art, so I don't have an actual trial or anything..."

"I'm the captain and all, so I've gotta come up with a trial. Maybe it could involve painting pictures and picking flowers... Maybe a trial like that could be cool?"

So basically, she never set her trial up.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Mina felt like she was too lazy to do her job as a Trial Captain. It was like she couldn't even be bothered to come up with a test. At least Volkner had the decency to keep Trainers inside his Gym and still accept challengers.

Akashin

When are we likely to get the next batch of news? During E3?

Maybe? It's a distinct possibility, but ultimately, your guess is as good as anybody else's. CoroCoro will likely have something, though whether that something includes new information or is just a repeat of the announcement with some vague, "What are these new Pokemon?!" questions is another matter.

Lastly, GameFreak could always fall back on the semi-frequent videos they did in the SM prerelease.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
When are we likely to get the next batch of news? During E3?

Maybe? It's a distinct possibility, but ultimately, your guess is as good as anybody else's. CoroCoro will likely have something, though whether that something includes new information or is just a repeat of the announcement with some vague, "What are these new Pokemon?!" questions is another matter.

Lastly, GameFreak could always fall back on the semi-frequent videos they did in the SM prerelease.

This. I think it likely that we get SOMETHING during E3 otherwise why show us beforehand? Or maybe they showed us beforehand because there won't be anything at E3...Did I just talk myself out of it? Hmmmmmm I guess we just wait a week and see.

Kalosian

So long
Some short thoughts for the time being, might write more later. Sorry if others have said these already, didn't feel like reading through the whole thread. Also apologies if this is kind of wishlisting, but there isn't a thread for hopes and wishes so eh.

Things I think will happen:
- Move tutors return
- Changed wild Pokemon distribution
- New features
- Most to all features from S/M will be kept, perhaps some will be improved too
- Some kind of new Battle Facility in addition to the Tree being kept
- More content in general, hopefully something like B2/W2 or Platinum but I'm not holding my hopes high for that
- New Z-moves
- New Alola forms (maybe they won't be limited to Kanto Pokemon this time around? One can always dream)
- Some sort of change in the story, Emerald/Platinum-type changes at the very lowest
- New characters, maybe new roles for old characters
- Kind of random, but I expect an animated trailer for the games like the ones for B2/W2 and OR/AS

Things I hope will happen:
- Regional Dex expansion/revamp
- Better training spots. This was my biggest issue with S/M and it needs to be fixed, I hope they'll go back to the epicness of Gen 5/6
- Bring back the National Dex within the game. Not needed, but I want it back, probably my second biggest issue with S/M
- A bigger post-game in terms of area, something like BW/B2W2/DPP/FRLG would be fantastic
- New Mega Evolutions. Unlikely, but I'm a dreamer

Things I don't want to see:
- Pokemon following the trainer. Unpopular opinion, but I strongly disliked this in HG/SS and never want to see it return. I'll be fine if they bring it back and make it optional this time around, but even so, I'd rather see them put effort into actually useful features and not useless gimmicks like this.
- Fan pandering. Specifically, fan pandering to Kanto. The less of it, the better.

More later... if I feel like it.

Leosnake

So we might at the very least learn something around the 15thish of this month (which is roughly when CoroCoro comes out right?) Assuming there is nothing at E3.

.Aerodactyl.

Some short thoughts for the time being, might write more later. Sorry if others have said these already, didn't feel like reading through the whole thread. Also apologies if this is kind of wishlisting, but there isn't a thread for hopes and wishes so eh.

Things I think will happen:
- Move tutors return
- Changed wild Pokemon distribution
- New features
- Most to all features from S/M will be kept, perhaps some will be improved too
- Some kind of new Battle Facility in addition to the Tree being kept
- More content in general, hopefully something like B2/W2 or Platinum but I'm not holding my hopes high for that
- New Z-moves
- New Alola forms (maybe they won't be limited to Kanto Pokemon this time around? One can always dream)
- Some sort of change in the story, Emerald/Platinum-type changes at the very lowest
- New characters, maybe new roles for old characters
- Kind of random, but I expect an animated trailer for the games like the ones for B2/W2 and OR/AS

Things I hope will happen:
- Regional Dex expansion/revamp
- Better training spots. This was my biggest issue with S/M and it needs to be fixed, I hope they'll go back to the epicness of Gen 5/6
- Bring back the National Dex within the game. Not needed, but I want it back, probably my second biggest issue with S/M
- A bigger post-game in terms of area, something like BW/B2W2/DPP/FRLG would be fantastic
- New Mega Evolutions. Unlikely, but I'm a dreamer

Things I don't want to see:
- Pokemon following the trainer. Unpopular opinion, but I strongly disliked this in HG/SS and never want to see it return. I'll be fine if they bring it back and make it optional this time around, but even so, I'd rather see them put effort into actually useful features and not useless gimmicks like this.
- Fan pandering. Specifically, fan pandering to Kanto. The less of it, the better.

More later... if I feel like it.

That's a great list! I think so more things we can expect though is following Pokémon (sorry I k kw you don't like it) mostly because we know they have all the models already. I think we're going to get a fossil park thats like a safari zone where we can catch fossil Pokémon in the wild (the fossil guy DOES say in SuMo that's what he wants to build. Could be like a Jurassic Park reference though.) I think they'll also release the Hidden Abilities of the starter Pokémon in some way. For some reason, I also think we're likely to get another random mini island for Pelego just cause, and maybe another ride Pokémon.

I too hope or the national Dex to return, as well as some better training options (or at least make Pelego's level up feature much better). I'd really love to see a battle frontier, that would add SO much to the past game. Literally give hours of additional play, and it's optional for those who don't like it! I also would love contests to come back (don't see that happening at all) and some kind of room decorating feature to return (also don't see that happening). I just get kinda tired of wandering Pokémon regions all homeless. (I mean, we technically still have a house with our mom, but like, I saved the world and beat the champion. I don't wanna move back in with Mom XD).

Thure

Everybody tolds you there are seven trials you need to do to became champ. If you count the Dragon and Fairy trial seperatly you would have eight trials. The Dragon/Poni/Fairy Trial is her trial. She just was to lazy to replace it with her own. This is the only explation which makes sense because otherwise there would be eight trials while people allways told about seven.

The Dragon trial was basically replaced with the Fairy trial but she didn't do her job to do it properly.

Akashin

So we might at the very least learn something around the 15thish of this month (which is roughly when CoroCoro comes out right?) Assuming there is nothing at E3.

CoroCoro will leak before then, especially if there's anything of particular note. We should be seeing whatever it and whatever E3 have to say pretty close to the same time, give or take.

If either have anything (new) to say at all, of course.

Everybody tolds you there are seven trials you need to do to became champ. If you count the Dragon and Fairy trial seperatly you would have eight trials. The Dragon/Poni/Fairy Trial is her trial. She just was to lazy to replace it with her own. This is the only explation which makes sense because otherwise there would be eight trials while people allways told about seven.

The Dragon trial was basically replaced with the Fairy trial but she didn't do her job to do it properly.

That's not very likely. The Dragon Trial is considered to be the first ever Trial and is noted to not have a Captain at all, so it seems like it's some sort of ceremonial final Trial of sorts.

Mina's Trial would have just been an extra one on Poni Island, if she'd been bothered to create one.

Last edited:

ryanp1991

This is all under the idea that this is a sequel and not a remake:

The feeling I am getting from what we saw is very similar to Black 2 / White 2, so I wonder if the game will allow us to do memory link like they did in Gen 5 so we could get flash backs to what our character did in the first game and how it affects stuff in the future game.

Baggie_Saiyan

How did they handle news of 3rd/sequel games in the past before?

I hope they don't reveal too much and keep those pesky trailers to a minimum, the fact the Direct trailer was short is promising. Thinking about it I may try and avoid all news period and play these games completely blind!

Leosnake

CoroCoro will leak before then, especially if there's anything of particular note. We should be seeing whatever it and whatever E3 have to say pretty close to the same time, give or take.

If either have anything (new) to say at all, of course.

OK thank you.

Also I just had a thought since there is a Surf board at your house in the game do you all think we will use it at some point?

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
This is probably a really stupid question, but these titles will be available to download from the eshop when it comes out, right? I want to get both, but I want one of them to be a download rather than a hard copy so that I know I can play the game the same day it comes out.

Akashin

OK thank you.

Also I just had a thought since there is a Surf board at your house in the game do you all think we will use it at some point?

Never say never, I guess, but with Ride Pokemon being a thing I can't exactly see what the point of it would be (Surfing Pikachu again, because why not I guess?). A minigame involving it, maybe, but that's a pretty big maybe.

This is probably a really stupid question, but these titles will be available to download from the eshop when it comes out, right? I want to get both, but I want one of them to be a download rather than a hard copy so that I know I can play the game the same day it comes out.

Almost certainly, and they'll likely be available for pre-purchase and pre-download as well.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
Just wanna say something important here about when we'll next get news:

CoroCoro may not have anything in this next issue and maybe even the issue after that. CoroCoros tend to be light on info for the first issue or 2 after a game is announced, so nobody get angry when we don't get anything new from it.

Leosnake

Probably. I know the previous ones were at least where I live. So unless they officially state otherwise I think it is safe to say they will be since this will be a world wide release again.