• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Snickerdoodle

I'm actually very excited about USUM! But I'm always excited for new Pokemon games, especially main series ones.

I hope the current theory that these are third versions and sequels in a way holds up. Alola DOES look like it's had some time pass. (Maybe Nebby stays in the bag this time, haha.) I am so ready for this hype period tbh. Now I have something to look forward to! :D

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I'm thinking that the walking with your Pokemon feature is coming back. There's a reason why all of those running and walking animations are in SM's code.

You know one thing that I'm just hoping to god this game won't do?

Kanto pandering. I am sick and tired of hearing "Kanto this, Kanto that" all the time - the region itself has featured in the first four generations, and Gen 6 did some extreme Kanto fanservice with the starters. Gen 7 wasn't as bad, but still annoyed me a bit. Thank to Gens 1-4 and 6-7 containing so much about a region that I just don't find particularly exciting, I'd much rather we didn't get any Kanto returns or extreme force-fed Kanto references.

I'm just done with Kanto.

Happy Hydreigon

Kahuna Mikah
Remember that one rumour before Sun and Moon came out, about the starters having alternate evolutions? It's very unlikely (and I wasn't someone who went for that in the run up to Sun and Moon) but it would be cool you have to agree.

shadowF

I can definitely see us having gyms instead of trials for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, kind of for it to be alternate to Sun and Moon. The question that remains if they decide to go this route would be: would there already be an established champion? or perhaps the goal would be to bring back trials and tradition by the end of the game?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Right now, I'm really hoping that US/UM will keep the trials for the main game & save possible gym battles for the post game. Not only will it make everyone happy (well most people anyway) but it will also give the games a similar feeling to The Johto games due to being able to take on more gyms after beating the main story. Plus, it would fit with how they've been pushing Gen 2 lately

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Right now, I'm really hoping that US/UM will keep the trials for the main game & save possible gym battles for the post game. Not only will it make everyone happy (well most people anyway) but it will also give the games a similar feeling to The Johto games due to being able to take on more gyms after beating the main story. Plus, it would fit with how they've been pushing Gen 2 lately

Ah wow I like this idea. I would love for them to evolve the trials into gyms afterwards, or end up having two different routes to being eligible for the league. I really hope they are pushing gen 2 now like everyone is anticipating :D

pokemaster442

いくZ!
I just thought of something about the region (don't know whether this was mentioned or not here) but is it me or does Alola look hotter, like the climate has gotten warmer. I wonder if they are doing the opposite to what they did in platinum where it was colder than DP.

Hopefully they don't just change the aesthetics of the game. I want a longer after gameplay than just the looker ultra beast missions and a ton of other features.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I suppose that's fair. Dex entries don't interest me that much though.

But most people (myself included) don't have a Living Dex. I'm a breeder, and I need my bank space for breeding leftovers/material. Not to mention that the process of building a Living Dex takes even longer than completing a National Dex.

I just thought of something about the region (don't know whether this was mentioned or not here) but is it me or does Alola look hotter, like the climate has gotten warmer. I wonder if they are doing the opposite to what they did in platinum where it was colder than DP.

Hopefully they don't just change the aesthetics of the game. I want a longer after gameplay than just the looker ultra beast missions and a ton of other features.

I'm hoping for something like the Battle Frontier, possibly on an additional island post game.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
This is pretty interesting, IGN put out a theory about Necrozma that's worth a read. I wonder if it'll come to pass.

Akashin

This is pretty interesting, IGN put out a theory about Necrozma that's worth a read. I wonder if it'll come to pass.

The theory doesn't sound bad, though I'm not sure I like the idea of Solgaleo and Lunala being born from the remains of Necrozma and it being the remains of their true selves. It strikes way too close to the relationship of the Tao Trio for my liking.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
The theory doesn't sound bad, though I'm not sure I like the idea of Solgaleo and Lunala being born from the remains of Necrozma and it being the remains of their true selves. It strikes way too close to the relationship of the Tao Trio for my liking.

Ah. Tao Trio? Who are they?

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector

Sometimes I'm amazed at the legendary Pokémon's connections to myth and science.

I read another theory that Necrozma may be able to fuse with all the ultra beasts in addition to Solgaleo and Lunala.

Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer

Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem. They were originally one dragon that split into three, with Reshiram representing truth, Zekrom representing ideals, and Kyurem being the empty husk that was left behind.

Akashin

Zekrom, Reshiram and Kyurem. Their story of the Original Dragon splitting into them with Kyurem being the one they return to is highly similar to that theory. Not that that's surprising, seeing as on paper it looks like Solgaleo, Lunala and Necrozma might be doing something similar here. I just hope that the actual reasoning behind these new forms is more distinct than that.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
I'm thinking that the walking with your Pokemon feature is coming back. There's a reason why all of those running and walking animations are in SM's code.

I really hope you're right about that. I miss that feature.

Zekrom, Reshiram and Kyurem. Their story of the Original Dragon splitting into them with Kyurem being the one they return to is highly similar to that theory. Not that that's surprising, seeing as on paper it looks like Solgaleo, Lunala and Necrozma might be doing something similar here. I just hope that the actual reasoning behind these new forms is more distinct than that.

Oh I see. Thanks for the explanation. I hope so too.

Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem. They were originally one dragon that split into three, with Reshiram representing truth, Zekrom representing ideals, and Kyurem being the empty husk that was left behind.

I see. Thanks!

Wadeledge

Till all are One
I'm not sure about walking with your Pokemon coming back, I'd love it but it's possible that the game just couldn't handle that much happening on the screen at one time and that's why it was cut.

.Aerodactyl.

I'm not sure about walking with your Pokemon coming back, I'd love it but it's possible that the game just couldn't handle that much happening on the screen at one time and that's why it was cut.

That's my fear. I'm gonna try really hard to not get my hopes up for it.

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi

We'd also have to keep in mind that everything seems a lot more "fuller" and vibrant than before. There's a lot more going on than in Sun and Moon as is from a bunch more plant life and swooping Wingulls, which would make it even harder to implement the extra details. Although it is pretty hard to tell anything from 20 seconds I suppose.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
This is all under the idea that this is a sequel and not a remake:

The feeling I am getting from what we saw is very similar to Black 2 / White 2, so I wonder if the game will allow us to do memory link like they did in Gen 5 so we could get flash backs to what our character did in the first game and how it affects stuff in the future game.

It's a third version, not a sequel. Just look at the playable character, they're the exact same person.

Maybe even a true form for Mimikyu.

Honestly, I don't think need or should want to see Mimikyu's "true" form. Mimikyu's entire purpose revolves around disguising itself as Pikachu, and would just ruin it all if we could see it without the costume.

Do you all actually enjoy the tedious process of filling up a National Dex repeatedly? (Not to say that this opinion is wrong by any means, but I personally don't understand it.) I for one was very tired of proving that I could collect every Pokemon over and over again just so I can start shiny hunting. I think that GF addressed this issue in S/M by moving the National Dex to Bank. It's one of my favorite changes that gen 7 brought to the table.

I've never bothered to complete the National Dex myself, but I still want it back. My reason being that because of the lack of the National Dex, the post game areas and trainers just had the usual Alola Dex Pokémon. I always love that point when you beat the game and start seeing Pokémon from the National Dex.

My friends and I think this will be the sequel, and new main character will be S/M main character's siblings, like in the trailer, the young guy visited his brother. That will explain why he lived in the same house, why they look the same. He's from Kanto (in the trailer was Japan), visited and gonna live with his brother & mother in Alola (in the trailer was Vietnam).

Remember what happened with SM trailer? It's a boy moved to Hawaii and befriend with a boy name Shoku.

It's almost the same in the game, main character moved to Alola and befriend with a boy name Hau.

But the character is literally the exact same person. Unless this is an identical twin we're talking about, that seems extremely unlikely.