• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Relax

Adding to this, the player character also looks like he's in an Ultra Wormhole during that Z-Ring scene...

Hmm didn't notice it, but now you say it..
I am really curious about these games but I hope the game gets more things to do. I really liked base building, safari zone, mining(in gen 4) and even contests, it makes the game more dynamic and fun. Pokémon isn't only about battling and breeding

Briankelly130

One thing that amuses me going through this thread is that some comments talk about how out of left field this reveal was which apparently is in tone with how GF wants to be unpredictable nowadays. But in spite of this, people are still trying to claim that the new games are either 3rd versions or sequels and it's like, you were caught off guard by this reveal and you still think you can use what's come before to predict what these games will offer us?

At this point I think anything is possible, they could be the basic Sun/Moon plot with a few enhancements, they could take place after the events of Sun/Moon, they might end up being both or they might be something completely different that none of us are expecting (but I'm sure a number of people will still get angry because it wasn't what they were hoping for). I'm open for surprises because I think that's one of the core aspects of the Pokemon games that I really enjoy.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
I doubt Nanu would be Gym leader. He only was Kahuna because the Tapu wanted it and didn't join the Top 4 because it wasn't a job by the Tapu. I would doubt he would accect the job as Gym Leader unless it's offered him by the Tapu.

Maybe that's the case then. Or that he accepts it but acts like he doesn't want it. Kinda like when he does his z move pose and grins at the ending cut scene in SM. Or if not maybe Molayne will do a steel gym

Akashin

One thing that amuses me going through this thread is that some comments talk about how out of left field this reveal was which apparently is in tone with how GF wants to be unpredictable nowadays. But in spite of this, people are still trying to claim that the new games are either 3rd versions or sequels and it's like, you were caught off guard by this reveal and you still think you can use what's come before to predict what these games will offer us?

At this point I think anything is possible, they could be the basic Sun/Moon plot with a few enhancements, they could take place after the events of Sun/Moon, they might end up being both or they might be something completely different that none of us are expecting (but I'm sure a number of people will still get angry because it wasn't what they were hoping for). I'm open for surprises because I think that's one of the core aspects of the Pokemon games that I really enjoy.

The thing is, (most?) people aren't using past precedent to determine what these games are. They're using what little has been said about the games, coupled with the fact that we're playing as the same character, living in the same house, etc.. Sequels are almost ruled out by the latter fact alone, whereas the wording implies either standard third version or perhaps some sort of alternate universe thing beyond the standard third version changes.

I'm all for surprises, but we can't exactly say anything's possible when we already have pieces of information narrowing down what these games could be.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
The thing is, (most?) people aren't using past precedent to determine what these games are. They're using what little has been said about the games, coupled with the fact that we're playing as the same character, living in the same house, etc.. Sequels are almost ruled out by the latter fact alone, whereas the wording implies either standard third version or perhaps some sort of alternate universe thing beyond the standard third version changes.

I'm all for surprises, but we can't exactly say anything's possible when we already have pieces of information narrowing down what these games could be.

[img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBqd_RXUIAAxgg0.jpg[/img139][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBqd_RbUQAADdV7.jpg[/img139]
[IMG139]http://i.imgur.com/RVbuyYT.png[/IMG139]

from the footage we've seen so far, there is no proof that the kid is the same character, despite that same, dopey face, or that he lives in the same house. The bedrooms are similar, but not identical and we don't know that the USUM bedroom is in the same building as the SM bedroom. We've only sees him running in front of the house, not into or out of it, and the house has clearly been lived in longer seeing as it has plants growing and the surfboard leaning against the garage. I find it ironic that she still has cardboard boxes on her deck, though lol.

I'm just saying we can't rule out sequels until we know more.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
[img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBqd_RXUIAAxgg0.jpg[/img139][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBqd_RbUQAADdV7.jpg[/img139]

from the footage we've seen so far, there is no proof that the kid is the same character, despite that same, dopey face, or that he lives in the same house. The bedrooms are similar, but not identical and we don't know that the USUM bedroom is in the same building as the SM bedroom. We've only sees him running in front of the house, not into or out of it, and the house has clearly been lived in longer seeing as it has plants growing and the surfboard leaning against the garage. I find it ironic that she still has cardboard boxes on her deck, though lol.

I agree. Your bedroom is painted and the house too seems to have taken some color, plants and trees have grown since S/M, the female player's hair has grown and the boy got a slight haircut because it might've gotten too long, etc. To me, these sound like hints of time having passed since the last game. If anything, it only helps the theory that these games are in fact sequels.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

The problem with this point is that A) the main characters have changed clothes before even ignoring customization options such as May/Brendan from RS to E and Lucas/Dawn from DP to Pt, so them having different clothes doesn't mean anything. Same with the slightly different bedrooms and environments as Platinum also had some minor changes (ex. snow around the starting town), and B) when we did have sequels, the main characters were a lot more distinct from their previous counterparts and no one would mistake Nate/Rosa for Hilbert/Hilda. So really, the differences aren't enough to make the point that they're different protagonists as the similarities still outweigh the differences, there could be more of the latter as we learn more, but as of now it's more likely it's the same protagonist with a new coat of paint a la the Gen 3 or 4 ones.

The problem with this point is that A) the main characters have changed clothes before even ignoring customization options such as May/Brendan from RS to E and Lucas/Dawn from DP to Pt, so them having different clothes doesn't mean anything. Same with the slightly different bedrooms and environments as Platinum also had some minor changes (ex. snow around the starting town), and B) when we did have sequels, the main characters were a lot more distinct from their previous counterparts and no one would mistake Nate/Rosa for Hilbert/Hilda. So really, the differences aren't enough to make the point that they're different protagonists as the similarities still outweigh the differences, there could be more of the latter as we learn more, but as of now it's more likely it's the same protagonist with a new coat of paint a la the Gen 3 or 4 ones.

Except Hilbert/Hilda's mother.

Seriously though, I agree. I can't see USUM being sequels - to me it's much more likely that Elio and Selene are just in a parallel universe being their usual blank-stare-creepy-smile selves.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector

Except Hilbert/Hilda's mother.

Seriously though, I agree. I can't see USUM being sequels - to me it's much more likely that Elio and Selene are just in a parallel universe being their usual blank-stare-creepy-smile selves.

Yeah, I'm not arguing that these games are sequels. I'm arguing that we can't rule it out yet. That's all. I'm betting they aren't sequels, but I hope they are very different from Sun and Moon. I don't exactly look forward to playing through their same story 2 more times.

SinnohEevee

Wouldn't they have already said it if it was sequels? It would have attracted the interest of more people.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Wouldn't they have already said it if it was sequels? It would have attracted the interest of more people.
Maybe? We literally have a few seconds of gameplay and a couple different versions of them saying "this is an alternate story in the world of Sun and Moon". Real details are still to come.
These versions are literally the third version with the usual enhancements across and an alternate take as usual, except still split in two versions.
Proof? What evidence can you provide that officially rules out sequels? I'm trying to take a factual approach to this. Despite what President Trump thinks, things aren't true just because you say they are.

I'd like to think GF is above such money grabbing techniques than just giving us an upgraded version of SM but making 2 versions of it just because fans will buy both.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I agree. Your bedroom is painted and the house too seems to have taken some color, plants and trees have grown since S/M, the female player's hair has grown and the boy got a slight haircut because it might've gotten too long, etc. To me, these sound like hints of time having passed since the last game. If anything, it only helps the theory that these games are in fact sequels.

It's kinda pointless to take on the Island Challenge again if we're already Champions of Alola.

Depends on who signed it.

I believe someone pointed out that it was the Masked Royal's signature.
I'll definitely have that displayed over a Pikachu plush.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Proof? What evidence can you provide that officially rules out sequels? I'm trying to take a factual approach to this.

Unless this is set in a distant future where everyone's descendants look the same and live in the same place, the fact the main character has an extremely identical house placed in the same exact place in Melemele Island means this is an alternate take.

I'd like to think GF is above such money grabbing techniques than just giving us an upgraded version of SM but making 2 versions of it just because fans will buy both.

Dude. It's been hardly 7 months since we got Sun & Moon. I would have understood perfectly if these had been remakes of older gens, but...

I believe someone pointed out that it was the Masked Royal's signature.
I'll definitely have that displayed over a Pikachu plush.

Pfft. I'm not a fan of his sport.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
Been hearing so much uproar over the announcement. Thought it was just dissapointment due to hype- but after seeing the trailer, no- that actually was a very lackluster reveal compared to the other coverage of re-releases. Being dissappointed overall with Sun/Moon I'm not seeing any appeal for US UM right now personally. But naturally, this will be the version with move tutors

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Only problem is that the games are in fact only five months away, so that in a sense 'forces' GameFreak to update us!

Good point I guess. In fact I wasn't even expecting new core games this year, much less Ultra Sun and Moon since I didn't think we'd get an announcement so late in the year. I usually expect new core game reveals in May at the latest ha ha. ^^;

Exceed

o m e g a
Technically, these COULD be sequels. Not as in sequels to Sun and Moon, but Sun and Moon taking place in a universe where Alola is further ahead in time. So take a Universe where Mohn doesn't fall into the Ultra Wormhole, and Lusamine isn't a nutcase. Things could've progressed in time until a new threat/villain came along.

So USUM could possibly take place in a universe where Gladion and Lillie still live with their family, at the Aether paradise, and time has progressed. This means in that time of 'peace' in Alola, characters could have aged and gyms could have been built and whatnot (based on those empty spaces). Feels like a sequel, but it ISN'T, because the events of SM never happened in the USUM universe. So Nebby is still out there waiting to be discovered.

Edit: Other evidence is the wall that seems to be built around the Pokemon Center, and the increase in the amount of plants (though this bit is a reach)

Edit2: Silvally is a problem though. Why would it need to be made if Lusamine isn't evil? Maybe Faba is still villainous in USUM and makes Silvally anyway.

Last edited: