• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Been hearing so much uproar over the announcement. Thought it was just dissapointment due to hype- but after seeing the trailer, no- that actually was a very lackluster reveal compared to the other coverage of re-releases. Being dissappointed overall with Sun/Moon I'm not seeing any appeal for US UM right now personally. But naturally, this will be the version with move tutors

While so many people are unhappy about the Direct, mainly complaints about no Sinnoh remakes or the games not being on the Switch, I'm just happy that we're getting games that will most likely have trainer customization. XD

Briankelly130

One thing I do hope for if they play the "sequel" card is to have the Alolan champion be the PC from Sun/Moon, that is assuming you don't play as that same PC in this game.

When I mentioned that it could be both a sequel and a third version combined, one idea I could offer is that they make use of the fact that in Sun/Moon, you can enter an alternate version of Alola which I remember reading that that was there just to allow you to enter the world of the other game simply to change time around for specific things but what if this game takes place in that alternate version of Alola but after the events of Sun/Moon so for example, in Sun, you were able to catch Alolan Vulpix so in Ultra Moon, you're allowed to catch that same Alolan Vulpix because the worlds are effectively switched around. Maybe events that happened in the Alola of Sun/Moon had different outcomes in the alternate Alola that we'd see in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon so in a sense, it is a different telling of the Sun/Moon story but you're only seeing the aftermath, if that makes any sense.

It's sort of like saying, in the Delta Episode of OR/AS, imagine if the meteor was sent to the alternate version of Hoenn, that version being the original of Ruby/Sapphire and then in a future game, you're taken to the alternate version of Hoenn that was depicted in OR/AS but after the events of the main game so you're sent to a Hoenn that had a meteor crash down upon it. It's not that we're re-visiting the Hoenn of Ruby/Sapphire, it's that we're visiting the Hoenn of Ruby/Sapphire as seen through the events of OR/AS, again, if that makes any sense.

knightwolf09

A lot of folks seem to believe these new games will just be like the Crystal or the Platinum of the gen, but part of me feels it'll be a mixture of those and BW2. Like a differently told story moving at the same pace as the old ones. Does that make sense?

.Aerodactyl.

While so many people are unhappy about the Direct, mainly complaints about no Sinnoh remakes or the games not being on the Switch, I'm just happy that we're getting games that will most likely have trainer customization. XD

Same!!!

I also just love Pokémon games in general. It would take a lot to disappoint me enough that I found the games unplayable.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
It's kinda pointless to take on the Island Challenge again if we're already Champions of Alola.

They could always assume in the game's timeline that the player was eventually defeated by one of the potential challengers of S/M. The player would return home to do other things, and since the league format might be changed (new trials or replacing trials completely for gyms), the player could decide to take on the challenge once more. It's not impossible. Unlikely, but possible.

As much as I want them to be sequels, I don't think they are. I'm just praying the games are good on their own. As someone mentioned earlier, I don't feel like playing through a story too similar to the one experienced in S/M.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
A lot of folks seem to believe these new games will just be like the Crystal or the Platinum of the gen, but part of me feels it'll be a mixture of those and BW2. Like a differently told story moving at the same pace as the old ones. Does that make sense?

It might be the alternate story of Sun and Moon; as in taking on the Island Challenge, different Aether and Skull motivations (Kyurem to Reshiram Zekrom) and become the champion once again, but the post-game might include the introduction of GYMs and new features, which would make it an Ultra challenge as well as adding contents that would be expected from sequels. Killing two birds with one stone, is how it would happen.

Thure

They could always assume in the game's timeline that the player was eventually defeated by one of the potential challengers of S/M. The player would return home to do other things, and since the league format might be changed (new trials or replacing trials completely for gyms), the player could decide to take on the challenge once more. It's not impossible. Unlikely, but possible.

As much as I want them to be sequels, I don't think they are. I'm just praying the games are good on their own. As someone mentioned earlier, I don't feel like playing through a story too similar to the one experienced in S/M.

And what would be with his old Pokemon...? "Yeah, I want to take a new starter Kukui... don't want the old anymore."

Aetius

Since the titles of these games are preceded by the prefixes Ultra, then I expect them to expand more on the UBs, the Ultra Space and alternate dimensions.
I'd like to know some more about these crucial elements and imagine if they will allow us to explore a bigger map of Ultra Space!
As for the plot of these games, I doubt that it will be the same as the one from Sun & Moon.
Of course, there will be similarities, but I think that they will diverge in a spectacular way.
My dream is to see an healed up Lusamine and a grown up Lillie (now a trainer) coming from the dimension of Sun & Moon to help the protagonists of US & UM dealing with the threat of Necrozma or whoever is behind it.
Morevoer the Lusamine from the US & UM dimension might have not gone mad and Mohn could be found at the Aether Foundation together with his wife and children!
This way, these games would feel like a sequel, but they would actually be third versions.
Hope I made myself clear, because alternate dimensions, along with time travels, tend to fry anyone's brain. XD

Last edited:

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'
Been hearing so much uproar over the announcement. Thought it was just dissapointment due to hype- but after seeing the trailer, no- that actually was a very lackluster reveal compared to the other coverage of re-releases. Being dissappointed overall with Sun/Moon I'm not seeing any appeal for US UM right now personally. But naturally, this will be the version with move tutors
Remember the Sun & Moon reveal? All we got was the logos and that was it for about a month. People were getting frustrated at that point too, only to get hit by bi-monthly updates (in what was most likely GF's most hyped pre-release campaign in ages) afterwards. This kind of 'oh btw' reveals is an actual marketing strategy and it worked last time, there was an incredible hype around SM and in the end the games actually delivered, despite the high expectations! (well for most people, sorry to hear you were disappointed)

It's just sad to see how little faith people keep having in GF despite their fantastic track record. Don't jump to conclusions, especially when you got this little info!

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
This kind of 'oh btw' reveals is an actual marketing strategy and it worked last time, there was an incredible hype around SM and in the end the games actually delivered, despite the high expectations! (well for most people, sorry to hear you were disappointed)

It's just sad to see how little faith people keep having in GF despite their fantastic track record. Don't jump to conclusions, especially when you got this little info!

That previous reveal worked because it was revealing a entirely new generation and actually had a staged trailer working up to the few snippets of brand new information and gameplay shots of completely new games.

Stating the fact clearly- US UM's reveal was just over 20 seconds of previous known Alolan Routes / Pokemon with an updated look- tacked onto an extended theatrical trailer for another updated game re-release for a different console.
And personally, downplaying a mainline pokemon game into the corner of a spinoff trailer makes me vary wary of whether this new game will offer anything new beyond move tutors and two new legendary forms that will be incompatible with previous games.

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'
That previous reveal worked because it was revealing a entirely new generation and actually had a staged trailer working up to the few snippets of brand new information and gameplay shots of completely new games.

Stating the fact clearly- US UM's reveal was just over 20 seconds of previous known Alolan Routes / Pokemon with an updated look- tacked onto an extended theatrical trailer for another updated game re-release for a different console.
And personally, downplaying a mainline pokemon game into the corner of a spinoff trailer makes me vary wary of whether this new game will offer anything new beyond move tutors and two new legendary forms that will be incompatible with previous games.
It not being a new generation doesn't mean they can't apply the same kind of strategy. The main reason some people are upset is because it's not on the switch or not the DP remakes they hoped for, not because it was a surprise reveal at the end of the Pokken trailer, imo.

Not showing a ton of new features in the first teaser of the games is by no means reason to be wary of whether there will be anything new in these games. ORAS didn't reveal Soaring and the Delta episode when they dropped the news on us and BW2 didn't show us anything beyond the new Kyurem forms. This time we actually got a small teaser trailer teasing the updated look of the region, a new location, animations that look like they might be new Z-moves, a new mechanic involving twisting the Z-crystal and the new legendary forms! It actually showed more than any reveal for a 2nd set of games in a gen before and those are mostly just glimpses! If anything, you got less reason to be wary this time.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
We barely have any information to judge the games...
Let's wait a bit more.

04n70n10

What if it's really (literally) an "alternative world"?

We will start as alolan native rather than coming from Kanto, Hau is really unfriendly like Silver, Lillie is courageous, Moth didn't disappear... and so on?

For some reasons with the events in the Sun&Moon timeline, Necrozma is "useless" in the end and it didn't make a direct contact with Solgaleo and Lunala
Instead, in UltraSun&UltraMoon, the events following other routes, and so Necrozma this time will face Solgaleo/Lunala.

Last edited:

Thure

We will start as alolan native rather than coming from Kanto, Hau is really unfriendly like Silver, Lillie is courageous, Moth didn't disappear... and so on?

For some reasons with the events in the Sun&Moon timeline, Necrozma is "useless" in the end and it didn't make a direct contact with Solgaleo and Lunala
Instead, in UltraSun&UltraMoon, the events following other routes, and so Necrozma this time will face Solgaleo/Lunala.
I'm all for an alternate World... but please without switched personalities... I don't want Edolas-Alola...

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I do actually think that Solgaleo and Lunala are antagonists and that the main player are natives in these games. But everyone else is pretty much the same.
I doubt they would make a complete role reversal with everyone.

"Moth" may have just made me laugh a little too much.

Either way, I'd rather this be a parallel universe, but hopefully not with personality differences because that would be strange with everyone except Lusamine.

Also, I'm surprised not many people have mentioned this yet, maybe we'll be able to see Hau's father this time around?

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Also, I'm surprised not many people have mentioned this yet, maybe we'll be able to see Hau's father this time around?

And speaking of dads, I would like to see the player's father instead. Or both parents.
I still wonder why GF hates to give us a father (except in Hoenn).

04n70n10

"Moth" may have just made me laugh a little too much.

Either way, I'd rather this be a parallel universe, but hopefully not with personality differences because that would be strange with everyone except Lusamine.

Mohn, excuse my typing error LOL .

It's not hate. It's a Japanese trope. In Japan most men did work nearly the whole day and are rarely at home.

Or for whole years like Ash's dad LOL

In an alternate World maybe we will see some change in personalities, not necessarily too radical.
In Sun and Moon Lillie escapes with nebby three months before the beginning of player's adventure, without this maybe we will have the Ultra Wormhole incident early/different/with others UBs/etc in the Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon plot.

Last edited:

DarkerShining

While there's not much info about these new games yet, what little glimpse we've gotten so far certainly has me excited. Looking forward to learning more about them.

Third versions/sequels/remakes always have Move Tutors, so I'm really looking forward to that. I've certainly got some Pokémon in Sun and Moon who would benefit from it.

The trailer hinting at some new customization options for the player character also has me excited. Maybe we'll get a ponytail hair style in this, since Sun/Moon didn't have one of those, which I found kind of odd for some reason. Maybe it's because X/Y did have a ponytail hairstyle? I also wonder what new outfits we'll get.

Wonder if there'll be a way to get non-Alola Pokémon who can evolve into an Alola form Pokémon to evolve into their non-Alola form this time? Like a new hold item, or something? I'm curious about what they'll do about regional variants in the future in general. Also, I guess there's a chance we might get some new Alola forms in these games, which would be interesting. New Mega Evolutions would be interesting too.

While it's a bit too early to make any real plans for teams and such, I guess when it comes to which starters I'll use, I'll do as I did with B2/W2 and choose the one starter I didn't pick in either the original B/W in one of the games, which in this case will be Rowlet. As for the other game, I'll have to think about that one once more details come out.

Well, those are just some of my thoughts/speculation/wishes for Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon so far.