• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Thure

Some people may not have the luxury or interest in buying two games though, so hinting at a new game on the Switch will discourage people from buying USUM when they know a better game is on the horizon. They're on different consoles yes, but if Game Freak is making a main game it means they're selling to the same audience. So this does cannibalize USUM's audience.

A game which isn't out until at least end of 2018... maybe even 2019...

.Aerodactyl.

Some people may not have the luxury or interest in buying two games though, so hinting at a new game on the Switch will discourage people from buying USUM when they know a better game is on the horizon. They're on different consoles yes, but if Game Freak is making a main game it means they're selling to the same audience. So this does cannibalize USUM's audience.

Yeah, just like the possibility of gen 7 and ORAS remakes totally killed X and Y's sales, and HGSS killed platinums sales... Heck, just like nobody buys both paired versions cause that's super redundant.

Naw. I think the effect it will have on USUM will be unnoticeable in there overall sales. If we knew that this Switch game was the exact same game as USUM then yes, I could certainly see that effecting sales, but we don't. In fact, it's more likely to be gen 8 or remakes then anything being so far away.

Relax

No. I got the feeling you are saying your personal opinion and present it as a fact. Just relax, it will take aprox 1-2 years for a new main game, that is enough time to put aside some money, even if it is 1 dollar a day.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
The Switch games won't be out until 2019 at the earliest. Bank on it.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*

I think maybe next December at the earliest depending on how far along GF is with development. By then th Switch price should have dropped and GF tends to wait about a year after each new console has been out before releasing the next game and gen in the cases of 3 and 4.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I think maybe next December at the earliest depending on how far along GF is with development. By then th Switch price should have dropped and GF tends to wait about a year after each new console has been out before releasing the next game and gen in the cases of 3 and 4.

Since GF typically works on 2 projects at once, it's possible they started developing this new game back in November when Sun and Moon were finished and released, meaning they've already had up to 7 months. November 2018 could be the 2 year mark. I wouldn't necessarily call that a rush, but a spring/summer/fall 2019 release would be better for making sure they deliver a really good game.

I wouldn't assume the Switch will drop in price. It might, but Nintendo typically only drops the price when a system doesn't sell well or a newer model is released.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Nintendo could release a more cost effective Switch that has more internal memory and processing power and release it before the Pkemon Switch game comes out. Tech companies do this all the time. Apple did it with the iPhone 7 when the 6 wasn't even out for more than a year to compete with the Samsung Galaxy Note7 which had its own problems that killed the phone's lifespan in stores and being competition. The iPhone 6 was still selling well before it was discontinued. I think the Switch will drop in price before the game is released.

This conversation has diverted from USUM and is instead talking about a game we don't even know anything about except what console it's gonna be on. I might as well push it back to the main topic.

So, any speculations on the key SM characters like Lillie, Gladion, Lusamine or Hau?

.Aerodactyl.

This conversation has diverted from USUM and is instead talking about a game we don't even know anything about except what console it's gonna be on. I might as well push it back to the main topic.

So, any speculations on the key SM characters like Lillie, Gladion, Lusamine or Hau?

I think Lillie's Dad is gonna be a main character this time around :)

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Yeah, just like the possibility of gen 7 and ORAS remakes totally killed X and Y's sales, and HGSS killed platinums sales... Heck, just like nobody buys both paired versions cause that's super redundant.

Naw. I think the effect it will have on USUM will be unnoticeable in there overall sales. If we knew that this Switch game was the exact same game as USUM then yes, I could certainly see that effecting sales, but we don't. In fact, it's more likely to be gen 8 or remakes then anything being so far away.

ORAS and SM weren't announced before XY were released, nor was HGSS announced before Platinum released. They let those games release and gave people time to enjoy them before promoting the next game. But outright confirming a new game ahead of USUM will definitely have an effect.

No. I got the feeling you are saying your personal opinion and present it as a fact. Just relax, it will take aprox 1-2 years for a new main game, that is enough time to put aside some money, even if it is 1 dollar a day.

I am far from the only person thinking this, so it's not presenting an opinion as fact. I'm personally not worried about money, but there's a lot of people that will be. My concern is what this means for the quality of USUM, and this announcement implies a lack of faith in USUM, so it's starting to look like it's not going to be a worthwhile experience.

I think Lillie's Dad is gonna be a main character this time around :)

You do know that Lillie's Dad is Mohn right? Not that I don't think that's possible (I definitely think he'll have a larger role), but it's weird that you wouldn't refer to him by name if you knew he was Lillie's Dad.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I do agree about Mohn having a larger role in this story. He was the one who confirmed the existence of Ultra Wormholes and Ultra Beasts after all.

He disappeared after trying to connect to an Ultra Wormhole, but ended up on the PokePelago. How that happened was never explained.

Also, I do find it interesting that he never mentioned anything about his family on any of his dialogues. One of his lines say "I've been working here managing Poké Pelago for a very long time..." I have a feeling that he might have amnesia due to the events and probably one of the reasons why he never returned to his family.

Akashin

He disappeared after trying to connect to an Ultra Wormhole, but ended up on the PokePelago. How that happened was never explained.

Also, I do find it interesting that he never mentioned anything about his family on any of his dialogues. One of his lines say "I've been working here managing Poké Pelago for a very long time..." I have a feeling that he might have amnesia due to the events and probably one of the reasons why he never returned to his family.

That he fell through a Wormhole, wound up in Pelago and lost his memories in the process seems a likely enough explanation. It's no different than what happened to Anabel.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
That he fell through a Wormhole, wound up in Pelago and lost his memories in the process seems a likely enough explanation. It's no different than what happened to Anabel.

Oh right. I completely forgot about Anabel being a "Faller". :p

Fallers are people that have passed through Ultra Wormholes. They have a strange energy about them that the Ultra Beasts mistake for another wormhole, causing them to pursue Fallers under the impression that they are the way back home.

It would actually be an interesting concept for an antagonist to be a Faller... like Mohn.

Lusamine had to use Nebby to open Wormholes. But if it's someone like Mohn, the Ultra Beasts would simply track him.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Yeah, they definitely seem to be implying that Mohn is a Faller, he doesn't seem to remember anything about Ultra Beasts or his family. If that's all they do with him that isn't going to be very interesting or surprising, I want to see more than that. I want to see him either regain his memory somehow or see how he interacts with his old family when he doesn't remember anything and they try to get him to remember his old life.

EDIT: Speaking of Fallers, what about Looker? They confirmed he was a Faller before we even knew what a Faller was and we still don't know where he came from or what happened. And what is it with the International Police hiring Fallers anyway? Is that the only way people would agree to work for them or something?

Last edited:

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Speaking of Fallers, what about Looker? They confirmed he was a Faller before we even knew what a Faller was and we still don't know where he came from or what happened. And what is it with the International Police hiring Fallers anyway? Is that the only way people would agree to work for them or something?

I believe they needed Fallers to lure UBs out because they really don't have any other methods on how to open the wormholes.

Akashin

It would actually be an interesting concept for an antagonist to be a Faller... like Mohn.

If we want to split hairs, it would be pretty surprising if Lusamine didn't become a Faller as well alongside you in the climax. But an antagonist whose status as a Faller is actually relevant would be interesting.

EDIT: Speaking of Fallers, what about Looker? They confirmed he was a Faller before we even knew what a Faller was and we still don't know where he came from or what happened. And what is it with the International Police hiring Fallers anyway? Is that the only way people would agree to work for them or something?

The International Police need Fallers because Fallers fool Ultra Beasts into thinking that they're a Wormhole that can take them back home, and so Ultra Beasts are drawn to them. Basically, Fallers are sacrificial bait (and if I recall, Nanu alludes to this and shows obvious distaste for it).

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
ORAS and SM weren't announced before XY were released, nor was HGSS announced before Platinum released. They let those games release and gave people time to enjoy them before promoting the next game. But outright confirming a new game ahead of USUM will definitely have an effect.

To be fair, they may not have explicitly announced the games, but no one ever doubted that some sort of Pokemon game would come out later, likely only a year later. The situation really is no different.

Are you referring to his amnesia in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire? That's more of a theory at this point than confirmation. Nothing further was stated in Sun and Moon, at least that I noticed, that would support the theory. He could still have gotten his amnesia from something else.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the idea of Game Freak playing the long game and telling a cross-generational story, but there's really no certainty yet that that's what's happening.

Akashin

Are you referring to his amnesia in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire? That's more of a theory at this point than confirmation. Nothing further was stated in Sun and Moon, at least that I noticed, that would support the theory. He could still have gotten his amnesia from something else.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the idea of Game Freak playing the long game and telling a cross-generational story, but there's really no certainty yet that that's what's happening.

Looker being a Faller would be tricky, because there's no way nobody would be aware of that fact. So unless it's being kept from him the same way Anabel's status as a Faller is being kept from her and there's just nobody to inform us that Looker is one as well, you'd think we would have been told.

.Aerodactyl.

You do know that Lillie's Dad is Mohn right? Not that I don't think that's possible (I definitely think he'll have a larger role), but it's weird that you wouldn't refer to him by name if you knew he was Lillie's Dad.

If they had officially announced a game, with a trailer or even a name, and a release date, then sure, I could see it reducing sales (albeit slightly). But they didn't. They said they're making a game for switch that won't be ready for over a year. They also talked about Sun and Moon before they were announced, literally in the same way, with comments like "For future Pokémon titles we'd like too ____". They already have hints of a new game in SUMO (Ryuki the dragon trainer from some mysterious new region?). This is really no different then past. Did any of us REALLY think there wasn't gonna be a new Pokémon game at some point in the future? We just know what system it's gonna be on now, that's all.

It's also for another system, a system that only like 4 million people own compared to the 30+ million people who own 3DS'. Like, I'm not saying some people won't refrain from buying SUMO, but it's not gonna be enough to be even remotely noticeable to their sales. USUM's biggest setback right now I think is moreso content, if it's too similar to SUMO some won't justify the purchase. I think we need more info before we can determine that.

Oh, I know his name is Mohn, but I didn't use it because not everyone knows his name, and I thought it would be easier for discussion. I also meant the version of Mohn who knows he's Lillie and Gladion's parent, not Pelego Amnesia Mohn that we don't really know the story and history of. Didn't want confusion

Last edited: