• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I saw a theory on it once. Apparently the Looker in ORAS is quite visibly a Faller by his lack of memory for who he is and the time stamp when he enters the battle resort being similar to when Anabel landed in Alola. However, the Looker we see in SM has a key thing about him that is inconsistent, and that's the fact that he is not covered in Ultra Wormhole Energy, proven by how he isn't used as bait for the UBs. The theory states that the only way this could possibly work is if two Lookers were in the same universe together at the same time.

There is one major problem with that theory. When you find Looker in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, he has no clue of his past, except for the Audinite Mega Stone. If this were the Looker from the original universe, then there's no way he'd be able to have a Mega Stone in his possession, as Mega Stones don't exist in the original timeline. It is quite literally the defining characteristic that separates the two universes. Now I suppose you could argue that perhaps that was a Looker from yet another universe with Mega Evolution, but that would be baseless.

There is one major problem with that theory. When you find Looker in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, he has no clue of his past, except for the Audinite Mega Stone. If this were the Looker from the original universe, then there's no way he'd be able to have a Mega Stone in his possession, as Mega Stones don't exist in the original timeline. It is quite literally the defining characteristic that separates the two universes. Now I suppose you could argue that perhaps that was a Looker from yet another universe with Mega Evolution, but that would be baseless.

I've seen the idea that the Mega Stone found its way into his pocket as he got washed up on the Battle Resort's shore. Either way, the SM Looker and ORAS Looker cannot be the same because around the time of ORAS, SM Looker was in Alola with Nanu, and found Anabel on the shore.

Thure

I've seen the idea that the Mega Stone found its way into his pocket as he got washed up on the Battle Resort's shore. Either way, the SM Looker and ORAS Looker cannot be the same because around the time of ORAS, SM Looker was in Alola with Nanu, and found Anabel on the shore.

Eh... was Anabel found on Alola? Was this confirmed? They are the international police. They are not from Alola most likely. They just recently travelled to Alola to make their job.

Akashin

Eh... was Anabel found on Alola? Was this confirmed? They are the international police. They are not from Alola most likely. They just recently travelled to Alola to make their job.

She's confirmed to have been found on a beach on Poni Island, yes. But even if she wasn't, the timing would have been weird; one moment Looker is washing up in Hoenn with no memories whatsoever, and not long after he seemingly has his memories (though going by 100kr and not Looker at the time) and is with Nanu and the International Police to find Anabel?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*

I think Nanu is definitely from Alola. My main reason for this is that the Tapu chose him to be a Kahuna and they don't just let anyone become one and probably not someone from another region and the in game implications that he had a connection to Team Skull. We know Guzma is from Alola and he seemed to know Nanu very well. Looker on the other hand was never confirmed to be from Alola.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

The whole Mega Stone thing is a little too speculative for me. He had a Mega Stone, and it was directly implied to be a clue of his past. These sort of things aren't designed to trick you. If he had the Mega Stone, and it was never said to be given to him after washing up on the beach (how would that even happen, anyways?), then we are meant to assume it comes from his forgotten past.

Besides, we have no idea how many years before Sun and Moon that Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire takes place. Maybe the two events take place at about the same time, but they can easily be separated by a year or two. And because of that, it is fully possible, if not probable, that Looker regained his memory shortly after Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, and the International Police put him on duty in Alola.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
A lot of folks seem to believe these new games will just be like the Crystal or the Platinum of the gen, but part of me feels it'll be a mixture of those and BW2. Like a differently told story moving at the same pace as the old ones. Does that make sense?

I hope that these are just direct sequels of Sun and Moon and have their own separate time line cuz I loved B2/W2 for doing that. I'll also admit that I didn't like Sun and Moon's plot much, so I'm not eager to get a repeat of it in Ultra Sun/Moon.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
The whole Mega Stone thing is a little too speculative for me. He had a Mega Stone, and it was directly implied to be a clue of his past. These sort of things aren't designed to trick you. If he had the Mega Stone, and it was never said to be given to him after washing up on the beach (how would that even happen, anyways?), then we are meant to assume it comes from his forgotten past.

Besides, we have no idea how many years before Sun and Moon that Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire takes place. Maybe the two events take place at about the same time, but they can easily be separated by a year or two. And because of that, it is fully possible, if not probable, that Looker regained his memory shortly after Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, and the International Police put him on duty in Alola.

I doubt it's meant to be taken seriously.

Remember, Audino's name is a pun of "I don't know" and its Japanese name is a pun on the word "maybe."

It's an amnesia joke.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I doubt it's meant to be taken seriously.

Remember, Audino's name is a pun of "I don't know" and its Japanese name is a pun on the word "maybe."

It's an amnesia joke.

Sure, but if Game Freak seriously was planning on having some sort of over-arching story with Looker, such as having him travel from one universe to another, then you would think they would care enough to make sure everything worked out. the way I'm seeing it, either we look at the entire Looker appearance as nothing more than a joke, and therefore no plot relevance, or we take it as a serious part of an over-arching story that happens to have a joke in it.

Bramblefire

Aura Guardian
Here's my thoughts on Looker's timeline. Non Mega- timeline (gen 1-5) -> something happens and he ends up back at the start of a new timeline. His crogunk was either killed in the incident or was left behind and the intl police lied to Looker. Then time passes amd XY then SM. At some point in that time he's added to the UB hunting crew because he's a faller, but like each member is told that only the rest of the crew are Fallers.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Here's my thoughts on Looker's timeline. Non Mega- timeline (gen 1-5) -> something happens and he ends up back at the start of a new timeline. His crogunk was either killed in the incident or was left behind and the intl police lied to Looker. Then time passes amd XY then SM. At some point in that time he's added to the UB hunting crew because he's a faller, but like each member is told that only the rest of the crew are Fallers.

You know, I really have to wonder about that plan if that's what the International Police intended. They're detectives, wouldn't they be able to put 2 and 2 together and figure out they're Fallers? Surely Looker must see the correlation between Anabel's situation and his own? I don't think Anabel really knew about Fallers, she probably just benched Looker because he didn't have a Pokemon and couldn't handle himself. Looker himself though, IDK. Maybe it was an alternate universe from ORAS.

Popplino

Akala Island Kahuna
I was wondering, what if those sorta 'ruins' on Poni Island were never left to dilapidate, it could easily add another settlement, or even merge it with Seafolk Village, as an expansion, or what if there was a Hidden, ancient civilisation hidden deep in Haina Desert, the fact that people dont often make it out can easily cover up for the fact that its never been found.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I think the Looker in SM is different from the Looker in ORAS as he never refers to himself as a Faller, the UB don't go after him like they do MC and Anabel, and he treats Anabel pretty uniquely rather then being completely sympathetic and understanding of her plight. If he was a Faller, I feel the story would've treated him differently in those regards.

That does beg the question what happened with ORAS' Looker, but I think that's a question they'll answer sometime soon (maybe it'll even be in this game).

I think the Looker in SM is different from the Looker in ORAS as he never refers to himself as a Faller, the UB don't go after him like they do MC and Anabel, and he treats Anabel pretty uniquely rather then being completely sympathetic and understanding of her plight. If he was a Faller, I feel the story would've treated him differently in those regards.

That does beg the question what happened with ORAS' Looker, but I think that's a question they'll answer sometime soon (maybe it'll even be in this game).

Maybe he becomes a frontier brain

I'm interested in it too. Who knows where he will end up?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

The third possibility is that they are the same Looker, but that Looker isn't a Faller. It's really impossible to tell right now. I'd love for them to explore it though.

Bramblefire

Aura Guardian
You know, I really have to wonder about that plan if that's what the International Police intended. They're detectives, wouldn't they be able to put 2 and 2 together and figure out they're Fallers? Surely Looker must see the correlation between Anabel's situation and his own? I don't think Anabel really knew about Fallers, she probably just benched Looker because he didn't have a Pokemon and couldn't handle himself. Looker himself though, IDK. Maybe it was an alternate universe from ORAS.

If memory serves, Nanu alluded that this was exactly what the Intl. Police did and that he despised them for that because of the death it caused. As for Looker not finding out. Not sure. One could argue Anabel should have figured out as well. I suppose there's the possibility that the Intl. Police could have told Looker that he was in an accident and it wasn't related to UBs. We don't know enough I suppose.

Last edited:

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
i think the islands will changed from an event.( similar to black and white 2 )

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Assuming this is in fact a sequel and not a prequel that would mean the Pokemon league is already established. Although the island challenge seems to be a tradition going back a ways in Alola. Would they give it up or even downplay it just because of a new Pokemon League? But, the developers do need to make this game standout one way or another, and re-introducing gyms would be a good way to do that.

Aetius

I was thinking that trials and gyms could easily coexist if done well.
Just divide the whole process in two:

First the trial, with puzzles or quests to complete, and then, at the end of everything, the battle with the gym leader.

IMHO it wouldn't be too hard to implement such a thing and at least it wouldn't make the trials die out in gen 8...

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian

First the trial, with puzzles or quests to complete, and then, at the end of everything, the battle with the gym leader.

IMHO it wouldn't be too hard to implement such a thing and at least it wouldn't make the trials die out in gen 8...

I'm not sure, isn't that pretty much exactly what the Grand Trial is now?

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist

They could just have them completely separate. And when you finish the gyms, you make it to the league, but if you finish the trials you get something else, like access to certain sacred area, or access to ruins, etc. They could have where either one gets you to the league, but doing both gives you the access. Idk, just throwing ideas out there.